watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tom Cairney

Started by Andy S, May 19, 2017, 12:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Watching Tom Cairney talk after the game on Fulham TV. He was genuinely upset and talked about it being his team. He also said they were all going to go for promotion next year. I would put money on him staying next season

uzuccher96

I think he is going to stay with us.

Sent from my CHEETAH using Tapatalk

Beamer

Never take anything that someone says in the heat and emotion of a situation as being the gospel truth, too often it is at that moment but things look different in the cold light of day. Would love him to stay but there must be real doubt at the moment with the interest he is generating.

Barry White

I certainly wouldn't put money on it, had my delicate little feelings hurt way too much by footballers down the years to believe what they say. That's why I liked the Pog, loved his honesty when he left - basically said he's off for money!

Really hope he does though but until the window shuts on 31st August I won't take it for granted.

Burt

I would love for him to stay and genuinely believe that he does love the club.

However it's all about money in this day and age. Everyone and everything does have a price, so if the club were offered a sum too good to refuse and TC premier league prospects and personal terms too good to refuse then that may outweigh any notions of loyalty.

I think Vardy committing himself to Leicester despite interest from the "big boys" is the only recent example I can remember where loyalty won the day.

Here's hoping we not only manage to hold on to TC, but our manager as well!!

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Burt on May 19, 2017, 10:36:58 AM

However it's all about money in this day and age. Everyone and everything does have a price, so if the club were offered a sum too good to refuse and TC premier league prospects and personal terms too good to refuse then that may outweigh any notions of loyalty.

I think Vardy committing himself to Leicester despite interest from the "big boys" is the only recent example I can remember where loyalty won the day.

Given the choice between keeping SJ and ANY of our players, I'd choose SJ every time. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 19, 2017, 10:51:05 AM
Quote from: Burt on May 19, 2017, 10:36:58 AM

Given the choice between keeping SJ and ANY of our players, I'd choose SJ every time. 

+1

Saying that though, Tom Cairney is my favourite player since Dembele/Dempsey.

Mince n Tatties

I think he is a certainty to leave,and Sess,they get their heads turned by scummy agents.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 19, 2017, 12:55:21 PM
I think he is a certainty to leave,and Sess,they get their heads turned by scummy agents.
i don't want him to go - who would? - but if he does (and young Sess) it's not the end of the world.  Remember the weeping and wailing re McCormack and Dembele and the suggestion that our goals would disappear?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

BedsFFC

Remember the weeping and wailing re McCormack and Dembele and the suggestion that our goals would disappear?
[/quote]

Oh my god, do I?

jarv

Money versus the passion just to play could be his achilles heel.  He could find himself part of a squad and if not an instant hit will end up on the bench. It happens to many players who don't make the step up as hoped for. Be warned Tom and stay with Fulham.  :wine:

Jonaldiniho 88

I wonder if having lumps kicked out of him twice a week and being the main focus of the opposition defence may be a factor. As already mentioned I would hate to see him go. He is loving his football, he is our captain and guaranteed to start if fit. I won't begrudge him if he leaves. He has given his all. Maybe if we promise him he won't be on penalties next season he will stay?!?!

toshes mate

What will be, will be.  You can only read between the lines if there are lines to be read.  TC has done enough to deserve the choices that he may now have but first I'd let him have a well earned rest.

filham

Really want Cairney to stay, he is the key player to a promotion push next season.
But look an offer from a premiership club like Newcastle with a fat weekly pay packet, playing premiership football in front of 50,000 crowds and regular TV exposure . Yes he is going to leave.

Unless of course  we have a chairman with Fulham blood in his veins like Tommy Trinder who all those years ago recognised the importance of a single talent to the club and pulled out all the stops to keep Haynes at the club.

Denver Fulham

We'd get at least 15m for Cairney, and we may have to take it. Sure, we'd then have to replace Cairney, but we originally signed Cairney for 3m. And found Johansen for 2m. And McDonald on the cheap. And Kebano for 3.5m. And Ayite for a small fee.

Cairney has unique skill and talent for our level, so he'd be hard to replace, but I feel confident in Joka and Tony K's crew to make a better squad next season, with or without Cairney.

And I'd never blame Tom for going now. He's 26, this would be a huge pay bump and a chance to play against some of the best teams in the world. We should thank him, and wish him well, if he ends up leaving.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Denver Fulham on May 19, 2017, 02:54:50 PM
We'd get at least 15m for Cairney, and we may have to take it. Sure, we'd then have to replace Cairney, but we originally signed Cairney for 3m. And found Johansen for 2m. And McDonald on the cheap. And Kebano for 3.5m. And Ayite for a small fee. And Aluko on a free.

Cairney has unique skill and talent for our level, so he'd be hard to replace, but I feel confident in Joka and Tony K's crew to make a better squad next season, with or without Cairney.

And I'd never blame Tom for going now. He's 26, this would be a huge pay bump and a chance to play against some of the best teams in the world. We should thank him, and wish him well, if he ends up leaving.

Luka

We'd get at least 15m for Cairney, and we may have to take it. Sure, we'd then have to replace Cairney, but we originally signed Cairney for 3m. And found Johansen for 2m. And McDonald on the cheap. And Kebano for 3.5m. And Ayite for a small fee.

Completely agree, if we can get a big wedge and he makes some decent cash out of it I'm happy for both the club and him that he leaves. He has served us well and owes us nothing.
But if he wants to stay and we pay him the going rate then I'm also happy.
All round its a win/win.

filham

How can anyone be confident that any Cairney money would be put to good use on replacements, just think of some of our failures in the transfer market, that immediately come to mind.
Ruiz
Mitroglou
Sigurdsson
Martin.
It is always better for us to keep a proven talented player as we rarely use incoming transfer money to improve the team.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: filham on May 19, 2017, 07:19:58 PM

How can anyone be confident that any Cairney money would be put to good use on replacements, just think of some of our failures in the transfer market, that immediately come to mind.
Ruiz
Mitroglou
Sigurdsson
Martin.
It is always better for us to keep a proven talented player as we rarely use incoming transfer money to improve the team.

Except when we sold Ross and Mitroglou last summer and added Johansen, McDonald, Kebano, Ayite, Aluko, Martin on loan, Piazon on loan, Button, Odoi, Kalas on loan, etc and went from relegation threat to the playoffs in the first full season under Jokanovic and Tony Khan and Co?

Milo

Quote from: filham on May 19, 2017, 07:19:58 PM

Ruiz
Mitroglou
Sigurdsson
Martin.

Ruiz and Mitroglou were before new statistics based transfer policy I think?(?)

Martin technically scored numerous goals and looked very good before he was unsettled by another club/family issues. Can't really expect statistics to predict that!

I think the new transfer model has been a resounding success despite early fears it was too conservative. Admittedly, I still feel it's slightly on the conservative side if we want to push for promotion but you can't deny the current squad has been put together by the much maligned T Khan/Kleine combination.