watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Divers to be suspended

Started by grandad, May 19, 2017, 07:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Players who dive in English football will face bans from next season under new Football Association regulations.

Under the new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting on Thursday, a panel will review footage each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

This will only apply where a dive results in a penalty being awarded or an opposition player is sent off after a red card or 2 yellows.

Well there are a number of players, & we know who they are, will have their wings clipped.
Where there's a will there's a wife

AlexW132

Quote from: grandad on May 19, 2017, 07:41:12 AM
Players who dive in English football will face bans from next season under new Football Association regulations.

Under the new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting on Thursday, a panel will review footage each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

This will only apply where a dive results in a penalty being awarded or an opposition player is sent off after a red card or 2 yellows.

Well there are a number of players, & we know who they are, will have their wings clipped.
Bet Forestieri and Knockaert are s***ing themselves

Sgt Fulham

Why is it limited to those situations? That way they still get the advantage on the pitch even if they do get suspemded for it.

toshes mate

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on May 19, 2017, 08:44:05 AM
Why is it limited to those situations? That way they still get the advantage on the pitch even if they do get suspemded for it.

Quite so.  It's the FA's best shot at shutting the stable door after.....
I would be delighted when the FA actually grow a pair.

westcliff white

Uefa tried this before and it failed dismally, Arsenal took  it to the court of arbitration of Eduardo I belive (he went down against Celtic) they argued how do you know what he was thinking of at the time and they won!!

My rule of thumb is if there is no contact and a player appeals then he has dived, those a clear punishable cases. But if there is any form of touch i tihnk it will get contentious, players moving at rapid speeds like Hazard, Zaha etc they will not need as much contact to go down as others due to that speed, so what may not be a pen for osme could well be for them. It will be a nightmare. I agree with it in principal but think it could be a whole can of worms
Every day is a Fulham day

bobbo

This directed to the tosses mate and Sargent fulham,
They really can only do it this way otherwise it would constantly disrupt the flow of play in games. Hence it will take time for the players to feel the effect . I'm all for it and it will be the best way to deal with it.
I'm very confident over a short period of time the message will get through. It's reached epidemic proportions now and severely needs to be roped in, dare I say it even one or two of our own are guilty of it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

BedsFFC

I hate diving. Its just one of those things that I don't know how a player can bring himself to do it.

The thing is, it is clearly practised.

The problem I see is that in some countries it is considered an accepted skill.

I've lost track of time but remember clearly watching European games when the other team would engage in it and our commentators and players would be up in arms. We then just slowly started doing it.

FIFA never stepped in.

I am not against us taking the lead but fear we run the risk of going back to the old days if we become a nation that doesn't dive and everyone else does.

On a completely separate issue. I watched one of the play off games last night and 2 players went for a 50:50 ball. One guy went in properly, the other didn't, resulting in the more committed guy getting advantage but, guess what? the ref deemed it a foul.

I saw a replay and it was the sort of challenge that used to be greeted with encouragement it deserved. One player basically being more committed than the other.
The fact that in our tier 4 of football, that is now a foul is a sad indication of the state of the game. Don't get me wrong, I love beautiful football. Passing technical football is what I love but taking the art of tackling out of the game has changed it and continues to turn it into a slightly different sport.

toshes mate

Quote from: bobbo on May 19, 2017, 09:40:28 AM
I'm very confident over a short period of time the message will get through. It's reached epidemic proportions now and severely needs to be roped in, dare I say it even one or two of our own are guilty of it.

But the actual goal scored from the play acting may still mean points in the bank for a team concerned.  Why not make the clubs responsible by deducting points (let's say five) from them?  That way you actually may see reform happening so fast it'll be like fresh air.

toshes mate

You make a good point, BedsFFC.  I watched both League Two play off games last night, switching between them, and thought they were first rate entertainment.  If only you could get the message through to the authorities that it is the spirit of the game that must be allowed to thrive and not the filthy lucre.

Andy S

There will be a situation where referees won't give the decisions but will wait until the Monday. When malone was booked for diving in the play off game he made the mistake of over elaborating when he threw his arms in the air before going down. In reality nobody does that who is deliberately fouled. I hope it works but I fear it might not

bobbo

Yes it is a difficult situation if a goal results from a cheat. But the big thing to do is big suspensions - these players can all afford the fines nowadays but hey,and their clubs want them playing, like I said it will take a little while to sink in, but I think it will.

By the way -- the op , I was about to put my scuba gear up for sale, don't use it anymore now anyway.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

westcliff white

Quote from: Andy S on May 19, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
There will be a situation where referees won't give the decisions but will wait until the Monday. When malone was booked for diving in the play off game he made the mistake of over elaborating when he threw his arms in the air before going down. In reality nobody does that who is deliberately fouled. I hope it works but I fear it might not
i actually htought he was booked for what happened after that as he got really verbal with the ref
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Malone was booked for backchat after the incident.  I thought there was contact when he went down but the theatricals probably detracted from his chances of starring in "The Golden Wet Suit"

Lighthouse

I am in the penalty area. I see somebody about lunge at me with no control. I jump and go over. Penalty given. Then a few months later I am done for diving because the contact never happened and I don't belong to a big club. I can see this being problematic to say the least.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 19, 2017, 10:47:21 AM
I am in the penalty area. I see somebody about lunge at me with no control. I jump and go over. Penalty given. Then a few months later I am done for diving because the contact never happened and I don't belong to a big club. I can see this being problematic to say the least.

And I am absolutely certain you are going to be proven right.

epsomraver

Quote from: westcliff white on May 19, 2017, 10:29:50 AM
i actually htought he was booked for what happened after that as he got really verbal with the ref

You are correct it was what he said to the ref

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: toshes mate on May 19, 2017, 11:31:28 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 19, 2017, 10:47:21 AM

And I am absolutely certain you are going to be proven right.

Probably why they are only addressing two "types" of simulation. Diving just outside the penalty area is just as prevalent as in it, it seems. But I guess that was deemed less likely to alter a match.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: epsomraver on May 19, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on May 19, 2017, 10:29:50 AM

You are correct it was what he said to the ref

Yes. Atkinson even motioned with his hand the way that a puppeteer would move a puppets mouth when he explained the card after giving it.

YankeeJim

I'll believe this when I see a Manure or Scum player penalized while playing at home to a bottom dweller.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 19, 2017, 05:01:51 PM
I'll believe this when I see a Manure or Scum player penalized while playing at home to a bottom dweller.

These are details worked out in the fine print my friend. Once per season A player from each of these sides will be penalized....in order to demonstrate how even handed the rules will be. Once.