Main Menu

Players who don't play

Started by MikeW, May 19, 2017, 08:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: Carborundum on May 20, 2017, 07:53:44 AM
Quote from: cmg on May 19, 2017, 10:47:05 PM
Quote from: Riversider on May 19, 2017, 03:44:22 PM
You forgot to mention the most pointless salary in our entire squad, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the one and thankfully only, Sean Kavanagh!!
So bad that even lower league clubs send him back to us and what's more he's got another year left on his contract !!!
Without doubt the luckiest player in English football, when we finally get shot of him he will head straight from The Championship to the likes of Woking or Dover or maybe even the league below,
Who the hell at our club thought it would be a good move to give him a 5 year contract .

As Kavanagh joined our Academy from Irish junior club, Belvedere, he is hardly the type of player referred to in the Original Post.
However it seems fair to correct a couple of inaccuracies. The contract which runs out in June of 2018 was signed by him in January 2015.
He was well regarded at Hartlepool and returned early from loan because of injury.

Although it now seems likely that his future lies in the lower leagues he was at one time very highly regarded. He has played willingly in a number of different positions and has been an Ireland u21 international. I doubt that he is on big money.

Helpful perspective.  I grew up watching lower league football and see anyone who can play respectably at that level as, in objective reality, a very good footballer indeed.

When playing for us SK's weakness was his...weakness.  Built like pipe cleaner.  Nature has a way of fixing that as no doubt some of us on this board know only too well.   I'd expect him to improve and improve.  I liked the defensive nous he showed for us - he knew where to be and had the engine to get there.  But not the strength to always be effective when he did. 

This league has plenty of successful players who have come up through the leagues.  I won't be at all surprised if in five years time he's one of them.  Anyhow he never came up short on the effort level for us, so I wish him all the best.

I agree.  BTW I had some physio treatment from an ex FFC phsyio now working out here in Dubai.  He knew Kav and rated him highly, he said he was very disappointed to see how his career has stalled so badly.  Chatting further he said he felt Kav will need more time than most to build muscle strength.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if he proves to be a bit of a late developer.

The Old Count

Quote from: Riversider on May 19, 2017, 11:18:43 PM
Quote from: cmg on May 19, 2017, 10:47:05 PM
Quote from: Riversider on May 19, 2017, 03:44:22 PM
You forgot to mention the most pointless salary in our entire squad, Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the one and thankfully only, Sean Kavanagh!!
So bad that even lower league clubs send him back to us and what's more he's got another year left on his contract !!!
Without doubt the luckiest player in English football, when we finally get shot of him he will head straight from The Championship to the likes of Woking or Dover or maybe even the league below,
Who the hell at our club thought it would be a good move to give him a 5 year contract .

As Kavanagh joined our Academy from Irish junior club, Belvedere, he is hardly the type of player referred to in the Original Post.
However it seems fair to correct a couple of inaccuracies. The contract which runs out in June of 2018 was signed by him in January 2015.
He was well regarded at Hartlepool and returned early from loan because of injury.

Although it now seems likely that his future lies in the lower leagues he was at one time very highly regarded. He has played willingly in a number of different positions and has been an Ireland u21 international. I doubt that he is on big money.

The post was entitled "Players who don't play" which he doesn't, he's on a four figure salary a week , ridiculous for his ability, he has never been highly regarded anywhere, his salary runs until June 2019, and boy oh boy is he s*** .

Not taken with the lad then?  Does he owe you money? Lol