https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (22/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 22, 2017, 07:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham keeping close eye on Osasuna striker
by Dan on May 21, 2017

Fulham are one of three Championship clubs keeping a close eye on Osasuna striker Kenan Kodro with a view to making an offer this summer.

The Whites, Bristol City and newly-promoted Bolton Wanderers have all sent scouts to watch the Bosnian international forward, who has one-year left on his contract. Kodro, who can play as a main striker or on the wing, has been one of the few bright spots in a season which has seen Osasuna relegated from La Liga. The 23 year-old scored seven goals in 28 league appearances and was rewarded with a first international cap in March against Albania, where he set up Senad Lucic's winner.

Kodro, who starred by scoring four goals in the play-offs as Osasuna won promotion back to the Spanish top flight in 2016, is reportedly keen on a move to England and would be available for a fee in the region of £1.5m. Slavisa Jokanovic is keen to add more attacking options to a squad light on conventional forwards, especially as Chris Martin is now expected to return to Derby County.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/05/fulham-keeping-close-eye-on-osasuna-striker/

WhiteJC

Transfer Gossip: Bolton Wanderers target Osasuna striker
Could Wanderers be looking overseas for new players?

According to The Daily Mail, Bolton Wanderers are competing with Fulham FC and Bristol City for Osasuna striker Kenan Kodro.

The article states:

"Fulham, Bristol City and Bolton Wanderers are following Osasuna striker Kenan Kodro.

The 23-year-old Bosnia international is available for around £1.5million and is keen on a move to England.

Born in San Sebastian, Spain, Kodro has dual nationality but made his full debut for Bosnia in March."

Comfortable up front or on the wing, Kenan Kodro began his career with Real Sociedad's B team, scoring 16 goals in 76 games. In 2014, he made the move to Osasuna. Initially playing for their B team, Kodro broke into the first team part way through the 2014/2015 season.

Since then, Kodro has scored 15 times in 88 games. Seven of those came this season as Osasuna were promoted back to La Liga, but Kodro couldn't prevent The Reds from going straight back down.

In March 2017, Kodro made his debut for Bosnia & Herzegovina, starting in a 2-1 win against Albania.

Obviously, any move could only happen once the transfer embargo has been lifted. Personally, if Wanderers are in the market for a winger/striker, Niall McGinn looks the more realistic option.

Would Kenan Kodro be a good signing? Let us know in the comments box below.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2017/5/21/15671428/transfer-gossip-bolton-wanderers-target-osasuna-striker-la-liga-efl-bosnia

WhiteJC

What QPR, Fulham and Brentford can expect from the Premier League's relegated sides

We take a look at what threat Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderland may pose our West London teams in next year's Championship.

With the Championship season over for another year for our West London teams, attention immediately turns to next year and the potential threats which await.

QPR, Fulham and Brentford all endured differing campaigns this season, but with runaway top-two Newcastle and Brighton being promoted, what challenge can our teams expect from the relegated Premier League trio of Hull City, Middlesbrough and Sunderland?

Hull City
The Tigers could be in for a make-or-break summer. After a torrid first half of the season they picked up their form after the appointment of Portuguese prodigy, Marco Silva.

Hull's formed turned around dramatically, and frankly i believe if the campaign was 10 games longer i believe they would have secured safety at the expense of Swansea City.

A lot depends on whether the club can retain their manager, but with interest from clubs such as Watford and Porto, it remains to be seen whether he would be willing to drop down to the Championship.

A few players may have attracted Premier League interest, most notably the likes of youngsters Harry Maguire and Andrew Robertson, and I think the success of their Championship campaign very much depends on how much of the current set-up they can retain for next season.

Middlesbrough
Boro were having a successful campaign up until the January transfer window when the wheels came flying off in dramatic fashion.

A summer of ambitious recruitment, signing the likes of Alvaro Negredo and Victor Valdes couldn't be followed up mid-season, with Patrick Bamford, Rudy Gestede and Adlene Guedioura all making next to no impact as the club tumbled into the relegation zone with barely a whimper.

Middlesbrough can expect to lose a few of their big name stars this summer, but providing they keep hold of the core of their squad, including the likes of Ben Gibson, Adam Clayton and Adam Forshaw, they can expect to be fighting at the top end of the table comes May next year.

This will, however, depend on them appointing a manager with the neccesary guile to guide the team through a slog of a Championship campaign.

Sunderland
It could be a long old season for Sunderland next year.

In a similar mould to Aston Villa 12 months ago, the Black Cats simply didn't have enough quality to even look remotely likely to pull off their infamous Premier League great escape.

In amongst a distinctly mediocre squad, star players Jordan Pickford and Jermaine Defoe look certainties to leave Wearside, meaning David Moyes is left with nothing but a skeleton of a squad to rebuild as they approach an increasingly more competitive Championship.

Sunderland will require major surgery over the coming seasons, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them languishing in lower-mid-table as the season ends in 12 momnths time.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-qpr-fulham-brentford-can-13062713

WhiteJC

Betting latest: Newcastle installed strong-odds favourites to sign 26-yr-old

Newcastle United have been installed as the strong-odds favourites to sign Fulham attacking midfielder Tom Cairney, according to the latest bookmakers' odds.

Sky Bet priced the newly-promoted club at 5/4 on Sunday morning to land Cairney before the forthcoming transfer window shuts.

Newcastle are a long way ahead of rival clubs in the betting for the race to sign the 26-year-old, with Bournemouth second favourites at 5/1, and then Swansea and West Ham more distant at 12/1 and 14/1 respectively.

Newcastle's position as clear favourites for one of the Championship's outstanding players comes after reports that their interest is about to reignited after they failed to prise the Scotland international from Fulham in the January window.

The Telegraph claim Rafael Benitez's side are preparing a formal bid of £12million for Cairney who, in turn, is flattered by Newcastle's interest and is ready to tell the west Londoners that he wants to join the north-east giants.

Cairney has a contract with Fulham that runs until 2019 with an option for a further 12 months but is said to be ready to push for a move after they suffered promotion heartache with a play-off semi-final defeat at the hands of Reading in midweek.

Benitez is stepping up preparations for the north-east club's return to the Premier League after they stormed to the Championship title.

Cairney has caught the eye of clubs, pundits and fans with his ability to dictate the play from a central attacking midfielder role behind the main striker.

His statistics also stand up to close scrutiny, with his 51 Fulham appearances this season yielding 13 goals and a further 12 assists.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/betting-latest-newcastle-installed-strong-odds-favourites-sign-playmaker-loved-benitez/

WhiteJC

Report: Levy wants English talent signed in £12m switch, Tottenham hope to pip rivals to deal

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly set to make a bid for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon.

According to The Sun, Tottenham Hotspur are set to make a £12million bid to sign Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon in a bid to pip Liverpool to his signature.

Sessegnon, 17, has come up through the ranks with Fulham, and has emerged as one of the top young talents in English football during his time at Craven Cottage.

The teenager, who can play at left back or on the left of midfield, has starred in the Championship this season despite his youth, notching seven goals and three assists in 30 appearances in all competitions.

With such impressive statistics at such a young age, it's no great surprise that Sessegnon is attracting major interest ahead of the summer transfer window.

The Sun report that Tottenham are now set to make a £12million bid for Sessegnon in an attempt to beat rivals Liverpool to his signature, with chairman Daniel Levy allegedly aware that the Reds are hoping to win the race.

It's stated that Spurs made a first offer for Sessegnon at the start of this season, and Levy now wants him signed up as Fulham are concerned about his value if he doesn't sign a new contract.

The report offers a major boost to Spurs, as it's claimed that Sessegnon is signing with the same agency as Tottenham striker Harry Kane, and Levy's previous dealings with the agency could boost a move for Sessegnon.

His potential makes him perfect to develop under Mauricio Pochettino, whilst the left wing back role in Tottenham's 3-4-2-1 system would be ideal for Sessegnon too, making him an almost perfect signing for Spurs – if they can get the deal over the line this summer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/21/report-levy-wants-english-talent-signed-in-12m-switch-tottenham/

WhiteJC

Duo battle for Cottagers star

Tottenham look set to pip Liverpool to the signing of Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon this season.

The 17-year-old has become one of the most sought after youngsters in English football after breaking into the Fulham side this season, and the Cottagers face a battle to keep hold in the close season.

Both Liverpool and Manchester City are in need of a new left-back when the transfer window re-opens, but reports have claimed that Tottenham will pip them both to his signature.

Spurs do have plenty of cover at left-back with Ben Davies and Danny Rose in their ranks, but the latter has been linked with Manchester United, and Sessegnon could be seen as the ideal replacement.

Tottenham are reported to have nipped in and offered Fulham £12million for the youngster's services, so City and Liverpool will have to move quickly to have any chance of doing a deal.

https://www.clubcall.com/championship/duo-battle-for-cottagers-star-1852069.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's 2016/17 season - a look back at the defining games of a memorable campaign

As we start our review of Fulham's 2016/17 season, we look back at the defining games that got the side to the Championship Play-offs

The 2016/17 season will go down in Fulham's history as one of positivity and hope, despite that cruel Play-off semi final defeat at the hands of Reading.

Finishing sixth in itself was a magnificent achievement considering the club finished fifth bottom the season before - this season Slavisa Jokanovic's side accumulated 29 more points and scored 19 more goals, all without Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele.

The target was to get into the top six and the team achieved that, with some stunning results along the way including the 5-0 wins over Reading and Huddersfield, as well as the 3-1 win up in Newcastle.

Now, as we prepare to say goodbye to the 2016/17 season and look ahead to what the new season will bring to the Cottage, we've run down the defining games of the campaign as we review the 2016/17 season.

Fulham 1-0 Newcastle - August 5

Fulham get the season off to a perfect start with a 1-0 win over recently relegated Newcastle thanks to a Matt Smith goal

Blackburn 0- 1 Fulham - August 27

A last minute Tom Cairney goal sees the Cottagers finish the first month of the season unbeaten

Fulham 0-4 Bristol City - September 24

Bristol City inflict one of Fulham's heaviest defeats of the season as they put four past them at the Cottage in a game where Kevin McDonald sees red

Fulham 1-2 QPR - October 1

Fulham miss two penalties, including a last gasp Sone Aluko spot kick which hit the post as they lost to their west London rivals

Fulham 5-0 Huddersfield - October 29

Fulham put Huddersfield to the sword at Craven Cottage as they stick five past their Yorkshire rivals

Brentford 0-2 Fulham - November 4

Sone Aluko and Tom Cairney ensure Fulham finally get the bragging rights over their west London rivals from Griffin Park

Fulham 5-0 Reading - December 3

Chris Martin scores a brace as Fulham ended Reading's five-game unbeaten run in the Championship

QPR 1-1 Fulham - January 21

Chris Martin had a penalty saved before he rescued a point for Fulham after Ryan Manning put QPR ahead

Fulham 4-1 Hull City - January 29

Sone Aluko helped Fulham knock his old club Hull out of the FA Cup Fourth Round at the Cottage

Birmingham 1-0 Fulham - February 4

Fulham's Play-off hopes looked over as they went down 1-0 to struggling Birmingham

Fulham 0-3 Tottenham - February 19

Harry Kane's hat-trick knocked Fulham out of the FA Cup in the Fifth Round at the Cottage

Fulham 1-1 Leeds - March 7

Tom Cairney's last gasp screamer rescues a point for Fulham in what is a turning point in the race for the top six

Newcastle 1-3 Fulham - March 11

Ryan Sessegnon shows what he can do as he scores a brace against eventual league winners Newcastle in their own backyard

Fulham 1-3 Wolves - March 18

A week later Fulham suffer a huge setback as struggling Wolves inflict a 3-1 home defeat on the side

Derby 4-2 Fulham - April 4

Dave Nugent scores a hat-trick for Derby as Fulham suffer their final defeat of the regular season at Pride Park

Huddersfield 1-4 Fulham - April 22

Stefan Johansen and Fulham run riot at the John Smith's Stadium as they destroy their play-off rivals for the second time this season

Fulham 1-1 Brentford - April 29

The Cottagers all but secure their play-off place thanks to their draw with Brentford, aided by Leeds' capitulation

Fulham 1-1 Reading - May 13

Tom Cairney's header cancels out Jordan Obita's opener as Fulham and Reading go head-to-head in the Championship Play-off semi final

Reading 1-0 Fulham - May 16

Fulham are knocked out of the Championship Play-off semi final after losing 2-1 on aggregate, with Yann Kermorgant's penalty the final blow

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-201617-season-look-back-13063123

WhiteJC

Fulham look preferred option, although it's pointed out player's price is €25m

Kenan Kodro being linked with three English clubs this week was perhaps a surprise.  The 23 year old Spanish born one time Bosnia international has had a passable season with Osasuna, although the club have been relegated from La Liga.

Fulham, Bolton Wanderers, and Bristol City being interested seems somewhat surprising, and certainly isn't a transfer rumour one would pluck from thin air.

Kodro doesn't really get a lot of limelight in Spain, he was marginally in the news recently after fans insulted him via his Wikipedia page, but there's no transfer rumours swirling around the player's head.

That's probably why the Fulham, Bolton, and Bristol links have taken the Spanish media by surprise, with Diario de Navarra seeming most impressed, by some way, with 'classic Premier League club' Fulham. Bolton and Bristol hardly get a mention.

Diario de Navarra point out that Kodro's stated price, his buyout clause, is €25m, an awful lot higher than the €1.75m figure being pushed in England. The lower figure sounds much likelier.

Whilst the 23 year old's 7 goals in La Liga this season seem not disastrous, even for a centre forward, it's worth pointing out that Osasuna were much better going forward than defending... conceding 94 goals.

WhoScored rate Kodro as Osasuna's 13th best player this season, which could be unlucky for Fulham, Bolton, and Bristol.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-look-preferred-option-although-pointed-players-price-e25m/

WhiteJC

Interview: Richard Stearman bids an emotional Wolves farewell

Richard Stearman has said goodbye to Wolves after eight years at the club and declared: "I wouldn't change it for the world."

Stearman first joined Wolves from Leicester in 2008. He is 43rd on Wolves' all-time appearance list

The centre half, who made 254 appearances in gold and black, has returned to Fulham after Wolves elected against making his loan move a permanent one.

Stearman made a shock return on loan last summer after initially leaving in 2015. In his time at the club he won two league titles, played for three seasons in the Premier League and won the player of the year award in 2014/15.

While gutted that he won't be staying at Molineux the 29-year-old had nothing but praise for the club and its fans – and has pledged to return as a fan in the South Bank.

Stearman told the Express & Star: "The support and love over the past couple of days has been overwhelming.

"My social media has been going crazy. Everyone knows how I feel about the club and it's nice to get the response I have from the players and staff.

"It's something I'm really proud of and my family is happy with too."

The defender only played 19 times this season, twice under Walter Zenga and then 17 for Paul Lambert.

However despite an indifferent campaign for the team he's been pleased with his performances – and said his comeback was all worth it for that unforgettable FA Cup moment at Anfield when he put Wolves in front inside one minute.

"Anfield is probably the highlight of my career minus the trophies and the awards," Stearman said.

"Individually it was the greatest feeling I've had in any shirt...too be able to score at Anfield in front the Kop for Wolves with my family there – it was worth coming back just for that.

"It's been great to come back this year and get a crack at putting on the shirt again.

"When I've played I've been happy with how it's gone. We might not have picked up results which is why I was out of it for a few games

"I feel I was unlucky not to play a few more games – I would have liked to have played more but it was great to put the shirt on again and I think I've played some of my best stuff in a Wolves shirt.

"I'd like to thank Kevin Thelwell and Fosun for bringing me back last summer. I'm gutted it's come to an end – it was never going to last forever and it would have been great to extend it but that's football.

"It's upsetting but that's the way it is. Both parties move on and I'll never have a bad word to say about anyone at the club.

"It's the club I love and there's no animosity whatsoever. I wish everyone the best for the future – I would have loved to extend my stay but it's not to be."

Stearman now returns to parent club Fulham where his future is unclear, although he's unlikely to be short of offers from Championship clubs should his time with the Cottagers be at an end.

And while his Molineux stay is over Stearman has vowed to return to Wolves as a supporter – or even as a coach.

"I'd love to come back as a fan," he added. "I'll be up in the South Bank at some point if I'm welcome.

"I'm still pretty local so I'll get down to games and you never know maybe I'll be back for a coaching role in the future

"To think I've played 254 games for such a big club, played in the Premier League, won titles, won a player of the year award...I've achieved a lot throughout my Wolves career, never mind my total career.

"It's been amazing for me. I'm very proud of it and so are my family.

"It's been an honour every time I've pulled on the shirt and to get another crack at it this year was such a big thing for me.

"It was also nice I could say some goodbyes this time as last time (in 2015) it was during the season.

"The fans have been great with me. It's been a bit up and down at times in the past but they know what my feelings are for the club and that I gave everything whenever I played.

"As a local lad as well it's amazing for me to walk away with such love and respect from them. That obviously goes both ways.

"They've been brilliant and I can't thank them enough.

"Playing for Wolves has been a great part of my career. I wouldn't change it for the world."

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/05/22/interview-richard-stearman-bids-an-emotional-wolves-farewell/#Q01A5X1Cygrx1pZ0.99

WhiteJC

Does Ross McCormack deserve a second chance?

After Signing Ross McCormack last season from Fulham for a hefty fee of £12.16 million, it was extremely frustrating and disappointing when he wasn't firing in the goals that we needed. Although the Scottish international did pop up with a few goals here and there, McCormack didn't prove to the villa faithful that he was worthy of wearing the claret and blue.

After the whole front gate situation and not turning up to training regularly, it didn't come as a surprise when McCormack was loaned out in January to neighbours Nottingham Forest. It is very clear that it didn't work out for Ross this season, but does he deserve a second chance in the push for promotion next season?

Next season is arguably one of our most important in recent years, as we fight for a place back in the Premier League, and with Steve Bruce being told that he has to sell before he buys, then Ross could be near the top of the list of players we should sell, considering his large price tag.

The January sigDoes Ross McCormack deserve a second chance?ning of Brentford's number 9 Scott Hogan may have been Bruce's way of telling McCormack that his short time as an Aston Villa player is up, but I am personally of the belief that we should hold on to Ross for at least one more season. No, it didn't go to plan last season, but we simply can not forget that Ross is a proven goalscorer in this league, he was the 2nd top scorer in the 2015/16 season with 21 goals, and top scorer in the 2013/14 season with an impressive 28 goals. If Ross can get a good pre-season under his belt, and get himself in a good shape for the start of the season, then hopefully he can do what we brought him for and score 20+ goals in the next campaign.

Despite his poor half season, I was impressed with McCormacks hold up play in the opposition's half, something that we have lacked since the days of Christian Benteke. Whilst Jonathan Kodjia is a player that can go on a solo run and create a goal out of nothing, although two of McCormacks three goals for Villa this season was very much a case of right place, right time, which perfectly contrasts Kodjia's play style and could create a formidable strike force for next season.

To sum up, I believe that Ross McCormack should be given a second chance at Aston Villa next season, as I think he could be an important piece of the puzzle to get us back in the Premier League.

http://www.avillafan.com/25746/ross-mccormack-second-chance/