watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (08/06/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 08, 2017, 07:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Zesh Rehman on the verge of making decision about where he will play next season

Zesh Rehman in action for Gillingham in Sky Bet League One in April

Zesh Rehman is edging closer to a decision on where he will play his football next season.

The former Fulham, QPR and Bradford defender spent the second half of last season with Gillingham and helped the Gills preserve their League One status by avoiding relegation.

Rehman arrived at Gillingham after a trophy-laden spell in Malaysia

The well-travelled centre-back played in Thailand, Hong Kong and Malaysia before returning to England earlier this year and Rehman revealed he is now weighing up his options for next season.

"I'd spent the last six years playing out in Asia so it was nice to be back [on the pitch again in England] last season and nice to be back with my family," Rehman told Sky Sports at Chelsea's Asian Star event at Stamford Bridge.

"I've got two or three options in the UK and overseas so I will probably wait till next week before making my decision.

A young Rehman wins a 50/50 challenge with then-Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas

"I've got to make the decision that's right for my family and for the next stage of my career but I've enjoyed playing here and in Asia."

Rehman became a popular figure with the fans and with his team-mates during his brief spell at the Priestfield Stadium. And the 33-year-old hopes Gillingham can push on next season and build on the 20th-place finish the club achieved last term.

The defender captained Bradford before moving to Muangthong United in Malaysia

"I loved it down at Gillingham even if things were not very easy because we were in a battle against relegation," he said.

"The games were tough because everybody was fighting for their lives but I've played in relegation battles before so I know what they are all about.

"My remit was to help the team stay up, which I did. We won a few games and we lost a few but the team stayed up [that was the important thing] and it was an experience I really enjoyed.

"It won't be easy [for Gillingham next season]. At that level, it's difficult because you have the big boys that come down from the Championship and the differences in team budgets can be millions, so if they can get in and around the play-offs next season it would be a great achievement."

Rehman's former Fulham team-mate Andy Cole (L) is a ZRF ambassador

Returning to England has given Rehman more time to spend on his social cohesion project, the Zesh Rehman Foundation (ZRF), which he founded in 2010.

"There are a few young people [through the ZRF] that have entered the professional game with a number of London clubs including Crystal Palace and that is great," the Birmingham-born defender explained.

Young ZRF coaches join Rehman at a workshop at former club QPR

"But the ZRF is not about that, it's about producing more rounded people and giving youngsters opportunities and pathways into education and employment.

"It's not just about producing footballers and coaches. It's about helping kids get some purpose and direction in their life so that they can go on and become role models within their own communities."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10904292/zesh-rehman-on-the-verge-of-making-decision-about-where-he-will-play-next-season

WhiteJC

Aspas hopeful on Jozabed deal

Iago Aspas is hopeful Celta Vigo will make their loan signing of Fulham midfielder Jozabed Sanchez permanent this summer.

The Galicians and the English Championship side agreed there would be a €5m purchase option in the summer although Celta are reportedly unwilling to pay that amount.

"He wants to stay and the rest of his teammates want him to stay because he is an exceptional guy," Aspas told Radio Galega.

"I gave the club my opinion, and that is that I want him to remain.

"His release clause has to be lowered because it's quite high but we hope that, as the transfer window continues, everything returns to its place and that we can made a good offer to get him back.

"It would be good to keep our main players."

The 26-year-old netted twice for Celta in 19 La Liga outings since his January loan deal from Fulham, whom he joined from Rayo Vallecano.

http://www.football-espana.net/64465/aspas-hopeful-jozabed-deal

WhiteJC

Fulham among five Championship clubs eying Burton Albion midfielder Jackson Irvine

The 24-year-old is currently with the Australian national team ahead of their World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia

Fulham are among five Championship clubs eying the signature of Burton Albion midfielder Jackson Irvine.

Reports in Australia believe that Fulham, Aston Villa, Wolves, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday all want the Australian in their squad next season after an impressive breakout year for the 24-year-old.

He scored ten league goals for the Brewers in their first season in Championship and was instrumental in ensuring they kept their status as a second tier side this season.

Irvine, who is a box-to-box midfielder, reportedly wants to get closer to his dream of playing in the Premier League by signing for one of the clubs who will be fighting for promotion next season.

The midfielder also reportedly rejected a big money move to the Chinese Super League in January and is in action on Thursday night when Australia take on Saudi Arabia in a defining World Cup qualifier in Adelaide before their Confederations Cup campaign.

Jackson Irvine celebrates his winner against Derby County.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-among-five-championship-clubs-13148667

WhiteJC

Jozabed's Celta Vigo teammate hopeful Fulham man will return to Spain after his loan deal expired

The 26-year-old returned to Fulham after Celta Vigo refused to pay the sum agreed in his buy clause although they still hope to do a deal

Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas remains hopeful that Jozabed will return to the Spanish side as a permanent signing after his loan deal expired.

The 26-year-old has returned to Fulham after Celta Vigo decided against signing him for the agreed release clause, which is thought to be around £4m, although they remain hopeful a deal will be done.

Jozabed scored twice in 19 La Liga appearances since joining on loan from the Cottagers, and teammate Aspas wants to see him back in Celta colours next season.

He told Radio Galega: "He wants to stay and the rest of his teammates want him to stay because he is an exceptional guy.

"I gave the club my opinion, and that is that I want him to remain.

Jozabed (Photo: Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

"His release clause has to be lowered because it's quite high but we hope that, as the transfer window continues, everything returns to its place and that we can made a good offer to get him back.

"It would be good to keep our main players."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jozabeds-celta-vigo-teammate-hopeful-13148767

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen makes bold prediction about Ryan Sessegnon, reportedly expected to join Spurs

Fulham ace Ryan Sessegnon has been tipped for the top by team-mate Stefan Johansen.

Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen has told Nettavisen in his native Norway that he thinks Ryan Sessegnon has the potential to be one of the world's best players in his position.

Sessegnon, 17, has come up through the ranks with Fulham, and he has emerged as one of English football's top young players during his time at Craven Cottage.

The teenager enjoyed a stunning first campaign in the Championship this past season, notching seven goals and three assists for Slavisa Jokanovic's men.

Sessegnon's displays have made him one of the most in-demand players in England this summer, but reports suggest that the battle for his signature could be drawing to a close.

The Liverpool Echo reported last week that Liverpool have given up their pursuit of Sessegnon as they now expect him to sign for Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur instead.

With a strong youth philosophy under Mauricio Pochettino, Spurs could be the ideal place for Sessegnon to grow and develop, whilst he could also feature as a left wing back at White Hart Lane having played at both left back and on the left of midfield for Fulham.

Now, Fulham ace Stefan Johansen has spoken to Nettavisen in his native Norway about Sessegnon, claiming that he is a 'huge talent' who took his chance in the Fulham first team.

Johansen added that he thinks that Sessegnon can be one of the world's very best players in his position both thanks to his talent and his attitude – words which should excite Spurs fans if Sessegnon really is heading to White Hart Lane.

"He's a huge talent," said Johansen. "He got the chance on a good team in the Championship and delivered insanely well. He is a big, big talent. The sky is the limit for him. He may become one of the world's best in his position. He is an incredibly down to earth person who works hard every day. His future seems very bright," he added.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/07/stefan-johansen-makes-bold-prediction-about-ryan-sessegnon-repor/

WhiteJC

Forest eyeing Fulham star Kevin McDonald

HITC Sport understands Nottingham Forest are keen on Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald, who is also interesting Brighton and Rangers.

Nottingham Forest are ready to battle Brighton and Hove Albion and Rangers for Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Premier League new boys Brighton and Scottish giants Rangers have both been credited with an interest in McDonald as they look to strengthen their midfield options for next season.

However, Forest are prepared to throw their hat into the ring for McDonald with City Ground boss Mark Warburton understood to be a big admirer of the Scot.

Warburton is determined to rebuild his Forest side after they narrowly avoided relegation from the Championship last season and he will be given substantial funds in the transfer window to spend by new owner Evangelos Marinakis.

McDonald enjoyed a fantastic first season at Fulham last term following his arrival from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The 28-year-old, played 48 games for Fulham last season in all competition, scoring three goals as Fulham reached the Championship play-off semi-finals only to lose to Reading.

Fulham would not welcome any moves for McDonald as he is a key member of Slavisa Jokanovic's side and they want to keep hold of their best players as they plan another assault at winning promotion to the Premier League next season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/07/forest-eye-fulham-star-kevin-mcdonald/

WhiteJC

Reports: Burton Albion's Jackson Irvine wanted by Derby County, Fulham, Aston Villa

Burton Albion midfielder Jackson Irvine is reported to have a host of Championship clubs chasing his signature this summer, according to Australian news organization Special Broadcasting Service.

The report suggests that Aston Villa, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham are all interested in acquiring the Brewers' top-scorer.

Albion's star man - who was previously linked with the Rams, among others, in January - is currently away on international duty ahead of Thursday's World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia.

Irvine has notched 10 goals for the Brewers this season after signing from Ross County last summer

The Socceroos will then entertain Brazil in a friendly in June 13, before heading to the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia, where they will face Germany, Chile and Cameroon.

Irvine has said repeatedly that he will only entertain offers that his representatives believe to be of interest to him, and has made it clear that money is not a deal breaker in any negotiations.

The former Celtic man became the Brewers' record signing last summer after making a £250,000 switch from Ross County, and set the Championship alight.

Ten goals in Albion's debut Championship campaign saw Irvine receive the highest of praise from around the league, and he was offered a new deal by the Brewers in January.

That remains unsigned at this stage, with Irvine saying talks will wait until after the Confed Cup - but he has reiterated that he still has two years left on his current deal with the Brewers and is comfortable with the current deal he is on.

"It's a long pre-season and a long transfer window, and as I always maintain I have two years left at Burton and if anything realistic happens you address that as it comes," said Irvine.

"Then you make decisions you feel will be best at that time.

Jackson Irvine is currently away with Australia ahead of Thursday night's Saudi Arabia clash

"I just want to continue to progress - you want to get to the highest level possible.

"For me, it's about playing in the top division at the top level in Europe,

"Growing up (in Melbourne) I watched a lot of the Premier league and it would be a dream to play in that league one day.

"But at this point in time the Championship is arguably one of the biggest leagues in the world.

"I think it's the fifth most watched competition right now and you can see the calibre of player and teams in this division, so it's a great place to continue to learn."

Read more at http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burton-albion-s-jackson-irvine-reportedly-wanted-by-derby-county-fulham-sheffield-wednesday/story-30376112-detail/story.html#W8wxBxd1El0KkRIA.99

WhiteJC

Interest in Fulham's Kevin McDonald suggests Nottingham Forest are planning for future

With David Vaughan aged 34 and Chris Cohen strucky by injuries in recent seasons, Nottingham Forest's attempts to sign Fulham's Kevin McDonald make sense.

Ask anyone to list the star attractions of Slavisa Jokanovic's thrilling Fulham side and you'll likely be greeted with a cacophony of Tom Cairneys, Ryan Sessegnons and Sone Alukos.

Only the regular Craven Cottage matchgoers would namecheck The Cottagers' Mr Consistency. Yet, there's a reason Kevin McDonald played all but one of Fulham's 46 Championship fixtures in 2016/17.

Because the 28-year-old defensive midfielder is the glue that holds this uber-attacking side in place, his razor sharp passing and ability to shield the defence resolutely making him one of the first names on the team-sheet.

No wonder, then, that Fulham want to hang onto the Scot. However, HITC sources told us that Nottingham Forest have now joined Reading and Rangers in attempting to lure McDonald from Craven Cottage just twelve months after he arrived from Wolves.

Manager Mark Warburton is understood to be a keen admirer of the classy central midfielder and will be given money to reinforce an unbalanced squad by new owner Evangelos Marinakis.

Though Warburton may have a hard sell aiming to encourage McDonald to turn his back on a side who reached the play-offs for one who only stayed up on the final day of the season.

However, it's clear that Forest should pull out all the stops to sign one of the most under-stated, under-rated players in the second tier. After all, Warburton will know that veteran midfield duo David Vaughan and Chris Cohen can't go on forever.

The experienced pairing were exceptional in the final weeks of the season and have both been rewarded with contract extensions. However, with Vaughan 34 and injuries preventing Cohen from playing more than 30 league games in a season since 2012/13, their interest in 28-year-old McDonald could be viewed as a contingency plan.

And an inspired one at that.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/07/interest-in-fulhams-kevin-mcdonald-suggests-nottingham-forest/

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest, Norwich City and Fulham interested in £800K rated forward

Nottingham Forest, Norwich City, Fulham and QPR are interested in signing Dijon's Mamadou Thiam according to a report from Get West London.

The 22-year-old forward is coming off the back of a solid season and his value is the highest it has ever been. He was shipped out on loan to Ligue 2 side Clermont Foot Auvergne 63 and would go on to score nine goals for the club as they finished 12th in the table. But despite the promise shown in that spell, parent club Dijon are not interested in keeping him around and would be happy to sell him this summer.

This has attracted four Sky Bet Championship teams who are now looking into the possibility of signing Thiam. Forest, Norwich, Fulham and QPR, four teams that will be hoping to at least challenge for a place in the play-offs next season, have been taking a closer look at the Senegalese man and may make an approach for him later on in the summer. For Fulham this has been a long-term interest as they were looking at Thiam in the January transfer window and came close to signing him back then.

What will make all four teams more interested is the modest fee that Dijon would want for Thiam. While the value of players of England keeps on going up and being unaffordable for most teams, this highly rated youngster would only cost £800K. While the move would be a risk, such a relatively low fee would be one worth taking considering the potential the player has.

http://the72.co.uk/83055/nottingham-forest-norwich-city-fulham-interested-800k-rated-forward/

WhiteJC

Derby County striker Chris Martin lifts the lid on his 'crazy' and 'tumultuous' season

Derby County striker Chris Martin has opened up about the "strangest" season of his career.

Martin spent most of the 2016-17 campaign on loan at Fulham after he was allowed to leave the Rams on transfer deadline day at the end of August.

t appeared the Scotland international did not figure in Nigel Pearson's plans, despite being the club's leading scorer for the previous three years.

But when Pearson parted company with the Rams and Steve McClaren returned to the helm, Derby tried to recall him during the January transfer window.

They were unable to do so under the terms of the deal - and Martin, who was keen to return to the East Midlands, ended up staying at Craven Cottage.

The former Norwich City front man did, though, sign a new contract with Derby - and is expected to report back for pre-season training at Moor Farm later this month.

Martin is currently on international duty as Scotland prepare for their World Cup qualifier against England at Hampden Park on Saturday.

Looking back over the domestic season just finished, he told The Scotsman: "It's been very tumultuous, shall I say.

"It's probably the strangest season of my career, especially off the field.

"Hopefully, there is a real positive twist to end an up-and-down season. Football is like that at times. It can be a roller coaster but not usually all in the one season.

"Sometimes you need to ride the wave and, hopefully, I can top it off with a real high against England.

"It's been crazy. I don't want to go into too much detail but, if I told people what happened, they wouldn't believe me. "Some strange things have transpired away from the football pitch. It's been a bit disappointing on the pitch.

"I've been inconsistent but there have been some contributing factors towards that.

"There were certain things said during the January transfer window that didn't come from myself. That's the hardest part, trying to deal with things that I had no attachment to, really.

"I've seen a lot in my career and I'd like to think I'm fairly mature. I tried to deal with it the best way I could but that contributed to what happened on the pitch.

"I was in and out of the team and that makes it difficult to make your mark. I'll put it down to experience and go again next season."

Martin scored 11 goals for Fulham, helping them reach the Championship play-offs, where they were beaten in the semi-final by Reading.

The 28-year-old is now focused on looking ahead to the future.

"It's over now," Martin added. "I've secured a new contract at Derby and I'll be heading back there for pre-season.

"My family weren't able to join me down in London because the deal as temporary, so I was away for eight or nine months.

"The kids are obviously delighted I'm back with them and I'm looking to push on for next season

"I've spoken to the new Derby manager, Gary Rowett, on a couple of occasions and everything has been positive.

"You never know. I could go back in pre-season and things could change, it can change quickly in football - but he's making all the right noises.

"There was a period of adjustment and I'm sure there will be changes over the summer, as happens at most clubs. But I'll be back on June 28 and we'll go from there."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-striker-chris-martin-lifts-the-lid-on-his-crazy-and-tumultuous-season/story-30376727-detail/story.html#SK0fQIjGweBYT0So.99

gang

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 08, 2017, 07:34:50 AM

Derby County striker Chris Martin lifts the lid on his 'crazy' and 'tumultuous' season

Derby County striker Chris Martin has opened up about the "strangest" season of his career.

Martin spent most of the 2016-17 campaign on loan at Fulham after he was allowed to leave the Rams on transfer deadline day at the end of August.

t appeared the Scotland international did not figure in Nigel Pearson's plans, despite being the club's leading scorer for the previous three years.

But when Pearson parted company with the Rams and Steve McClaren returned to the helm, Derby tried to recall him during the January transfer window.

They were unable to do so under the terms of the deal - and Martin, who was keen to return to the East Midlands, ended up staying at Craven Cottage.

The former Norwich City front man did, though, sign a new contract with Derby - and is expected to report back for pre-season training at Moor Farm later this month.

Martin is currently on international duty as Scotland prepare for their World Cup qualifier against England at Hampden Park on Saturday.

Looking back over the domestic season just finished, he told The Scotsman: "It's been very tumultuous, shall I say.

"Hopefully, there is a real positive twist to end an up-and-down season. Football is like that at times. It can be a roller coaster but not usually all in the one season.

"Sometimes you need to ride the wave and, hopefully, I can top it off with a real high against England.

"It's been crazy. I don't want to go into too much detail but, if I told people what happened, they wouldn't believe me. "Some strange things have transpired away from the football pitch. It's been a bit disappointing on the pitch.

"I've been inconsistent but there have been some contributing factors towards that.

"There were certain things said during the January transfer window that didn't come from myself. That's the hardest part, trying to deal with things that I had no attachment to, really.

"I've seen a lot in my career and I'd like to think I'm fairly mature. I tried to deal with it the best way I could but that contributed to what happened on the pitch.

"I was in and out of the team and that makes it difficult to make your mark. I'll put it down to experience and go again next season."

Martin scored 11 goals for Fulham, helping them reach the Championship play-offs, where they were beaten in the semi-final by Reading.

"It's over now," Martin added. "I've secured a new contract at Derby and I'll be heading back there for pre-season.

"My family weren't able to join me down in London because the deal as temporary, so I was away for eight or nine months.

"The kids are obviously delighted I'm back with them and I'm looking to push on for next season

"I've spoken to the new Derby manager, Gary Rowett, on a couple of occasions and everything has been positive.

"You never know. I could go back in pre-season and things could change, it can change quickly in football - but he's making all the right noises.

"There was a period of adjustment and I'm sure there will be changes over the summer, as happens at most clubs. But I'll be back on June 28 and we'll go from there."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-striker-chris-martin-lifts-the-lid-on-his-crazy-and-tumultuous-season/story-30376727-detail/story.html#SK0fQIjGweBYT0So.99

So long, farewell, aufwiedersehen, adieu.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gang on June 08, 2017, 10:13:18 AM

Hasta la vista.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Do one tubbsy.
Here's to hoping you fail at Derby and end up at Millwall on loan.
The reason you didn't get selected in the last few months isn't just because you threw a strop, but every time you played it was like playing with 10 men. Don't close down, never break a sweat, don't win headers, don't get in the box even and you can't dribble but think you're Mousa Dembele.
At least Cyriac ran around a bit and won headers, even if he didn't do much more than that.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 08, 2017, 10:54:13 AM

Hasta la vista.

Struggling to see how he "lifts the lid" really. Often when that phrase is used, details that were unknown are forthcoming. He doesn't say anything that we didn't already know.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

glenhodgso

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 08, 2017, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 08, 2017, 10:54:13 AM

Hasta la vista.

Struggling to see how he "lifts the lid" really. Often when that phrase is used, details that were unknown are forthcoming. He doesn't say anything that we didn't already know.

This reads to me that he is keeping his options very much open, so at the very least he's learnt from the experience.

I only hope that we have...

alfie

This is the problem with these sort of issues, we really don't know what went on, as he has stated a few things were said that did not come from him, other than that he did not add anything towards the end of the season, but his goals earlier on gave us a chance. I don't hold grudges, I like to feel I can forgive, like i would like to be.
For me  forgive and move on.
I don't want to start an argument, it is just MY opinion.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: alfie on June 08, 2017, 05:42:20 PM
This is the problem with these sort of issues, we really don't know what went on, as he has stated a few things were said that did not come from him, other than that he did not add anything towards the end of the season, but his goals earlier on gave us a chance. I don't hold grudges, I like to feel I can forgive, like i would like to be.

He comes across as happier up in Derby. Maybe that would change if circumstance allowed his family to move down. Personally, I don't want us building upon "maybe". The player either wants to adjust his personal life to be able to play for Fulham or he doesn't. He seems to fall into the "doesn't" category to me. For that reason, I say we find a better fit for our club and let him worry about his club.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: alfie on June 08, 2017, 05:42:20 PM

Forget about his 'issues'. His performances were simply not good enough. He didn't score in our poor September. He was little help at the end of the season and almost half his goals came in comfortable victories: 5-0, 5-0 and 4-1. And contrary to some indulgent views his was pretty poor at holding up the ball and generally linking with our forwards and midfield. We must be able to find someone significantly better and we would be no worse off playing Piazon or Kebano.