News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A proposal to scrap 45 minute halves.....

Started by Andy S, June 17, 2017, 11:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

There is a story on the BBC website that there is a proposal to scrap 45 minute halves and have 2 x30 min halves and stop the clock when the ball goes out of play. Also being looked at is penalties. After a spot kick is taken if it is saved it is a dead ball. Any thoughts?

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: Andy S on June 17, 2017, 11:05:37 PM
There is a story on the BBC website that there is a proposal to scrap 45 minute halves and have 2 x30 min halves and stop the clock when the ball goes out of play. Also being looked at is penalties. After a spot kick is taken if it is saved it is a dead ball. Any thoughts?

No to both. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

dannyboi-ffc

Just reading the ops description of the proposed changes, my view is what a load of nonsense. Surely once a penalty is taken the ball is back in open play, you wouldn't start from a drop ball if a keeper saved a free-kick. Weird idea.

The other one is even worse. I understand that there is never 90 mins of football played in any game but can they guarantee that a match lasting 90mins with no stop clock will be in play less than 60minutes exactly? I find that very hard to believe.

Maybe these 'smart' people at the top of football should be working out how they stop owners like the Leyton Orient one destroy a club. Not just Orient but several others, some of which sadly no longer exist.

If not broke, don't fix it. Fix the bloody things that are broken and ruining the little clubs.

Cheers Andy for the info. I hadn't heard of this
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

HatterDon

I appreciate the link, Mr. Maestro. Otherwise I'd have sworn this was something from the Daily Mash.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

Does the ball have to be round? It seems to me it should be shaped like a dice. So when players kick it and it lands. The opposition should then have the number showing in passes to get to the goal. If they fail then we should have a bunch of drunks and idiots thinking up new rules until the sand runs out of the hour glass to signify the time played. Every time there is a stoppage the hour glass could be turned back.

Let's face it, under the present system the game has never really taken off. Best make needless changes and spoil it completely.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

This is out of the blue. I have never heard of this or anything like it being discussed anywhere. Would Tv accept it? Let's face it nobody bothers about the fans anymore.

Snibbo

These sorts of proposals often have a hidden agenda. Someone looking for an opportunity to make money,  usually by advertising.

In Australia,  the Aussie rules matches are stopped after every goal for ads,  and the umpire can't restart until a light flashes to show the ad has finished.  Remember there can be 20 or 30 goals in a afl match so that's a lot of ads plus ads at the end of each quarter.  Same in cricket- ads after every over,  and even scrolling ads whilst the bowler is running in

I hate it.

Football (aka soccer) has much fewer natural breaks where advertising can infiltrate. Stopping the clock would let the advertisers get more control of the game.  I'd be very suspicious.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

kiwian

Why not focus on divers, that would make the game more enjoyable, all 90 minutes of it.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

HatterDon

The only group of people for whom this would be attractive is the television moguls
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

toshes mate

Have to admit when I first saw a written piece on this I was a bit wary about someone advocating law changes that shorten halves, but the proposals which also include abandoning penalty kick follow ups, taking free kicks to yourself, in addition to stopping clocks whenever play stops, are all things which have succeeded to improve spectacle in other sports which have changed and are at least worth a try.  However, I wouldn't shorten the length of the half since none of the other sports which have changed rules and are now played at faster pace with the ball in play for longer have done so, and players are paid enough to have them perform 100% of the time and not a lot less than that. 

Now if we can just get the foul, penalty, offside, carding, and 'was the ball over the line?' offenses and decisions correct football's improvement could be promising.

toshes mate

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 17, 2017, 11:33:35 PM
Maybe these 'smart' people at the top of football should be working out how they stop owners like the Leyton Orient one destroy a club. Not just Orient but several others, some of which sadly no longer exist.

I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments about football clubs being destroyed by despicable owners, dannyboi, and its is clearly the responsibility of the football authorities to start acting for supporters and not ignoring them.

Wolf

Some good ideas worth discussion, consideration and trialling. Just responding with "change is bad" comments seems a little narrow minded.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: toshes mate on June 18, 2017, 06:41:24 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 17, 2017, 11:33:35 PM

I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments about football clubs being destroyed by despicable owners, dannyboi, and its is clearly the responsibility of the football authorities to start acting for supporters and not ignoring them.

It's so frustrating isn't It!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Wolf on June 18, 2017, 07:17:24 AM
Some good ideas worth discussion, consideration and trialling. Just responding with "change is bad" comments seems a little narrow minded.

If you have that attitude towards any changes then I do agree. Look at how great goal line technology is for example. But a 60minute match stopping the clock for everything, I'm almost certain we would lose as supporters.

Why? Firstly as much as teams time waste and the ball is out of play for goal kicks etc I find it hard to believe that not a single game in the football league last season saw more than 60 minutes of action. If I'm right then we would be losing out even if it was just by a few minutes.

Secondly how dull would it be without injury time? It adds to the drama, if you were on the attack with 5 seconds to go, the ball goes out for a potential long throw as the clock strikes 90mins, everyone turns to the board to see how many minutes are added in hope. But this rule would say sorry game over, you can't have the throw in.

Thirdly I could almost guarantee that every time the ball went out the screens in a ground would advertise something. And only show the clock/scoreboard when it came back into play. And there would be mini adverts on the TV every time there was a stoppage. Money money money imo.

So I'm open to change if it's going to benefit the game, not silly unnecessary ideas just to make a few people at the top even richer.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

bog

A load of cobblers. The same twit  probably thinks that Arsenal v Manchester City is a local derby. Bog off!  :doh: fp.gif

092.gif

Andy S

So being open minded what changes would you make  that would be acceptable? May be Quarters or even extend the game to two hours instead of 90 mins. No limit on substitutes and how thy are used? I would allow drinks breaks only at set times
I would change the substitute rule to only allow subs for injuries

Lighthouse

Changes I would make. Offside back to the old rule of a player being offside even if he isn't interfering with a member of the public. Each manager can have two occasions when he can refer to the third referee if he has an objection to a decision. Only two. Goal line tech should be used as widely as possible. Shootouts in cup games should be like the American league used to have. Players running with the ball from a set distance and only having a set amount of time to score.

Revolutionary and yet sensible within the confines of the structure of the game.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

Impressed with your determination, Andy S.  Can you play up top?

I don't think quarters would serve any useful purpose except for adding to the advertising space that corporate wallahs so love, and interfere with the natural flow of a game.  Beneficial rule changes are things that add to a game, and do not take stuff away from it, and football has ninety minutes because that was seen as just enough time to see some players visibly tiring towards the final fifteen minutes or so, adding a little more spice to things.  Substitutions started as a hedge against injury but have also developed into a tactical game, giving us a new dimension.   Changes to the offside rule was intended to stop the infuriating practice of a flag being hoisted when the offending player was nowhere near interfering with play; it has also developed into different approaches to game play although frankly I have always loved the game when wingers would get to the byline and cross so no one would/could be offside.

I would like there to be improvements in officiating which take out some of the more controversial aspects of football (any sport for that matter) as a priority and you don't get that by having more officials you get it by improving the ones you already have.  Time wise and clock watching I would take the matter of timekeeping away from the referee completely, and have the clocked stopped as a matter of course whenever a stoppage occurs, but, having said that, and echoing dannyboi, time added on does provide an edge of drama to those last minutes, and football, as an entertainment, needs all the drama it can get.   What I don't want to see is more media diktat over how the game develops because it isn't done in the interests of the sport, it is done for more and more money into the coffers that don't care if they destroy something whilst getting rich.