News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A proposal to scrap 45 minute halves.....

Started by Andy S, June 17, 2017, 11:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

There's a reason why Football is far and away the "World" game, in fact there are many reasons so if you chip away at the fundamentals its going to loose more than it gains!

The reason other sports change their formats are generally to make it easier to attract new participants and fans and package it for TV.

There have been success's going back to limited over Cricket et al but FOOTBALL has no need of such changes!

Holders

Leave the game alone, surely we don't want it ending up like pyjama cricket.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Ronnief

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.  At the bottom of the document it states "The aim of this document is to generate discussion and take a 'fresh' look at how the Laws could make the game better".  It does not mean they will be implemented.

toshes mate

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 18, 2017, 10:21:14 AM
FOOTBALL has no need of such changes!
Oh I don't know: surely there are a few numbskulls in FIFA, UEFA, and the FA that need to be placed in rehabilitation for a few decades before being let near a football matter again.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: toshes mate on June 18, 2017, 01:05:04 PM
Oh I don't know: surely there are a few numbskulls in FIFA, UEFA, and the FA that need to be placed in rehabilitation for a few decades before being let near a football matter again.

Only a few decades lol?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

toshes mate

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 18, 2017, 01:17:15 PM

Only a few decades lol?

That was my nice side.....

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: toshes mate on June 18, 2017, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 18, 2017, 01:17:15 PM

Only a few decades lol?

That was my nice side.....

Typical nice Fulham supporter lol
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

bobbo

These people are probably the same ones who put traffic in lights on roundabouts and leave the working all night.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Mince n Tatties

I reckon we should stop every 15 mins for a break to let people with small bladders go to the toilet.
While half of the crowd are away relieving themselves the players could tuck into cucumber sarnies and Pimms and ice,while discussing which part of their bodies they are going to hideously tattoo next..
Coyw..

love4ffc

God please don't change things.  They are already looking at using a video referee.  That's enough change for me. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Woolly Mammoth

Do not let the Lunatics take over the Asylum.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

Well, I suppose someone has got to be in charge of the rules of the game.  Having been appointed, they are going to meet up from time to time...and find something to talk about.  The anti-timewasting suggestion seems well meaning enough, but frankly a competent referee applying the rules seems a better solution.

But I'm scratching my head over the penalty rebound idea.  I think the basic direction of it is questionable.. more goals from penalties, not fewer seems a better target.  It's almost as if the inconvenient rebound goal spoils the opportunity of a saved-penalty talking point.  A way to stop goalkeepers moving forwards before the kick would be better...if only there were sensors on the goal line that could detect things like that.

Sgt Fulham

Nope,

Both stupid ideas. The game is fine on both those fronts, and stoppage time can be excruciating but often the most exciting part of a match. I understand that it will still exist to a degree in the closing minutes of the game, but I doubt it would have the same urgency/excitement. "Wonder how much added time there will be?". Tom Cairney vs. Leeds comes to mind.

toshes mate

All change appears stupid until that one moment you decide to change and discover it's so much different to what you thought it would be and all the better for it.  Yes, change is a risky business, but sometimes you just have to take the risk. 

filham

A clear and definite "NO" to both proposals, we really don't want  unnecessary changes to the rules of the game.
However I would like to see refs. being more strict with time wasters and adding on time for every little bit of obvious time wasting and delays as they are entitled to under existing rules.

Roguewhite

This makes no sense to me.  As others have said this is a money making scheme and that's all there is to it.  Rubbish. 

Mokes

This would end up as the worst thing ever for the sport. The stoppages will end up taking longer and longer and it will end up like baseball, where the players are all standing around waiting for the countdown timer to say the tv commercial is finished and they can start to play again. As is stands the 90 minute game takes up a 2 hour time slot, which is perfect.

A 48 minute Basketball game takes up a 2 hour time slot with all its stoppages and time outs and a 60 minute hockey game goes for 3 hours, it's ridiculous.  Cutting 30 minutes off the playing time to create extra advertising slots will kill interest in the game going forward. I can't see it happening though unless some how an American ends up taking over FIFA

If they have to change anything, I would like to see a video reff added to the game solely for calls where a player goes down and play is stopped anyway. If it turns out there was no contact and it was a dive, for instant action to be taken i.e sent off for unsportsman like behavior.  That should stamp out diving pretty quick.

Nothing else needs to be changed.

Woolly Mammoth

As has already been pointed out, there is money to made behind it somewhere. There are always hidden agendas on these issues creeping around in the background.
Ever since Adam met Eve, and said stand back I don't know how big this thing gets, there has always been corruption in football by the individuals who have the power to influence and will squeeze out the last penny they can make when it comes to profit.
Deals made behind closed doors and in corridors. 
If you want proof, then visit Rogues Gallery, whereupon you will observe portraits and photographs of these Herbert's some hanging on the walls, some hanging with a noose tightened around their corrupt necks.
But they have always been there, like a virus waiting to breakout.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

The one thing I am unhappy about is the authorities suggesting, canvassing opinion about or even thinking that sixty minutes without stoppages is anything like ninety minutes with.   That bothers me as even being something to trifle with.  Most sports go out of their way these days to avoid unnecessary stoppage time and officials are strict about the observance of continuity in the game.  That is why I believe we need better referees period, and it isn't necessary to have more than three good officials of the field - you could have ten officials in the game but if they are rubbish then the result is the same old rubbish.  I just wish the laws were properly enforced in every game as a first stage in cleaning football up.   Then we can have a look at changing other laws that may help to improve the spectacle for supporters.    I personally would like to see a trial of active penalties in football where one player and a goalkeeper fight out a time limited duel with nobody else involved.  If it works then it can be implemented and if it doesn't then it can be forgotten about.

nose

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 20, 2017, 09:39:14 AM
As has already been pointed out, there is money to made behind it somewhere. There are always hidden agendas on these issues creeping around in the background.
Ever since Adam meet Eve, and said stand back I don't know how big this thing gets, there has always been corruption in football by the individuals who have the power to influence and will squeeze out the last penny they can make when it comes to profit.
Deals made behind closed doors and in corridors. 
If you want proof, then visit Rogues Gallery, whereupon you will observe portraits and photographs of these Herbert's some hanging on the walls, some hanging with a noose tightened around their corrupt necks.
But they have always been there, like a virus waiting to breakout.

I like a good conspiracy theory and here it is (not mine what I heard from a man who knows a man etc)

They want to encourage planned stoppages to make advertising easier during the game, especially betting. So players will be encouraged to fall over at regul;ar intervals, that will suit sheff wed and reading's goalkeepers down to the ground (no pun intended).