watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Help needed from our older fans who saw Stan Brown play

Started by dannyboi-ffc, June 19, 2017, 12:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Guys we did put a thread out yesterday about this but there's been no responses so I just want to draw your attention to it.

Basically we are doing a FOFerview with the great Stan Brown's son who has very kindly offered to answer on his Dads behalf as Stan is unable to answer questions accurately unfortunately.

Everyone at Friends of Fulham wishes Stan well. I'm sure many of you saw Stan play for the club and myself and Westcliffe White would really appreciate your assistance in asking a handful of questions about Stan that his son might know from stories etc.

If we don't get any feedback then we will just think of the questions ourselves but we thought it would be nice to include those that like a trip down history lane. After All, this is for your enjoyment that we do these things.

Thanks  049:gif
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

f321ffc

Saw Stan  065.gif many times a good workman like professional, OK to get the ball rolling.

1, Is there a stand out memory of a game you had for Fulham.
2, who was the most difficult opponent.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

RaySmith

I was surprised there wasn't a response  to the thread, since Stan is often spoken of so fondly on here. I did see Stan play many times, and have many fond memories of him in the white shirt,  though I must admit my memory for individual  games I saw isn't as hot as many  here, but I did  put some  questions on the other thread to hopefully get the ball rolling.

I'm sure people will be very keen to read Darren's responses on behalf of his dad. Thanks for  taking the trouble to do this.

Ronnief

Saw a lot of Stan.  He was a hardworking midfield player who you couldn't help but like for his wholehearted approach to the game, a real Fulham team player who could play anywhere you wanted him to play.

Snibbo

Saw Stan play in many positions,  great all-rounder.
Questions:
Which was your preferred position Stan?
Other than the maestro, who was the best midfielder you played alongside?
Who was the hardest (physically) player you played against?
And the most skilful player you played against?

jarv

Saw Stan play many times. Honest, hard working and skillful player. Covered every blade of grass (or mud in those days).

Question...who was your best friend on the team (and why)?

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Stan was a really good hard working midfield grafter but actually I thought he was at his best when playing at centre forward. How did he feel about being asked to play up front,  was he our shortest ever centre forward and how did he manage to score those goals in the air.

grandad

I also saw his whole career at Fulham from 1960 to 1972.. A solid hard working player. Never a great player but dependable.
Where there's a will there's a wife

colinwhite

Saw Stan play many times and went to his testimonial.You always knew what youe were going to get from him.Actually a bit underrated,and was the sort of player who made others in the Side look good.
A bit of a jack of all trades and could play just about anywhere. He even doubled in goal once when our keeper got injured if I am not mistaken!

Jims Dentist

Quote from: filham on June 19, 2017, 02:23:56 PM
Stan was a really good hard working midfield grafter but actually I thought he was at his best when playing at centre forward. How did he feel about being asked to play up front,  was he our shortest ever centre forward and how did he manage to score those goals in the air.
Such a long time ago, but I think I remember a home FA Cup tie when Frank Large was picked as CH and Stan played CF.
Both played nnpretty well on the day.
I think WBA played in their yellow and green striped shirts and blue shorts which was their standard away kit t the time.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: filham on June 19, 2017, 02:23:56 PM
Such a long time ago, but I think I remember a home FA Cup tie when Frank Large was picked as CH and Stan played CF.
Both played nnpretty well on the day.
I think WBA played in their yellow and green striped shirts and blue shorts which was their standard away kit t the time.

Holders

He was the sort of player who just got on with the job and kept under the radar a bit as he wasn't flashy. Every team needs players like that. If I recall correctly, he would go through a season as ever-present and I don't remember him ever being booked. Two potential questions there: how many seasons ever-present and how many career bookings?

Perhaps because of his relative low profile, my two strongest memories of him are his testimonial and the game he went in goal when Ian Seymour got injured, against Enfield in some nothing cup.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

All I can add to the memories is recalling Johnny Haynes's comment about Stan. He said; "The only time you notice Stan Brown is when he's not playing".

What greater compliment could be paid to a player? Not only to be recognised by one of the greats of all time, but also to be feted for his work ethic and modesty....?

gerrys

Was my favourite player, Mr. Dependable. He certainly played in many positions, I saw him play (mostly) in defence or midfield but he also played as a forward. The story went around that he played in all eleven positions on the pitch at some time in his career, including goalie as in those days there were no substitutes and he was the stand-in goalie.
I hope that this is of interest for your interview.

bog

I saw Stan's debut and also when he scored his first goal in a shock 1-0 home win over Everton. Always got on with his job, one of those who are never forgotten. An honour to write this about our Stan.

092.gif

Bill2

I saw him score a cracking goal with his head from just inside the penalty box at the Hammersmith end,  so question is best goal?

dannyboi-ffc

Thankyou for all your suggestions.

I've already submitted a list of 20 questions to Darren the other day. I tried to use as many as I could, hopefully you enjoy it when it's posted
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

I assume you told Darren how many of us remember Stan with affection and respect?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

sunburywhite

Quote from: Bill2 on June 23, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
I saw him score a cracking goal with his head from just inside the penalty box at the Hammersmith end,  so question is best goal?

I remember that goal, rose like an eagle

\was it against West Brom and was it from a corner? Or is my mind playing tricks
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me