watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Norwich home first game

Started by f321ffc, June 21, 2017, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

I've given up trying to differentiate between tough and easy fixtures in this league.  What I look for is the number of evening games scheduled for the Cottage.  The more the merrier for me.  This year four of eight evening fixtures are at the Cottage. Not bad and could increase as TV schedules refine the timings and cup games get factored in. 

The first half of April, involving the visits of Leeds, Reading and Brentford would seem a particularly bad time to book a holiday, unless that is a holiday to London.

PokerMatt

So how does it work out that we start with Leeds, Reading, Sheff and Norwich and we also play them all in the last 8 or so games?

Don't they normally repeat roughly how they started?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

ffc73

Not sure it matters who we play when but what I look for is fixtures that are easier to travel to &/or where a mini break can be arranged, e.g Rotherham Sat & Derby Tues meant a long weekend in Peak District could be arranged. Nothing like that this season.

Other quirks. Leeds away mid week 4th season running & home game, although Easter Monday, is also not a Saturday. Again 4 on a trot

Forest away is again mid week. Not checked but seems pretty regular now too

toshes mate

Quote from: PokerMatt on June 21, 2017, 01:20:30 PM
So how does it work out that we start with Leeds, Reading, Sheff and Norwich and we also play them all in the last 8 or so games?

They did use to do that before the computer wallahs messed the scheduling algorithms.  It could still be done in the old manner - I have a MS-DOS program that will work out a repeating schedule for any number of clubs and deal with teams needing seeding i.e. because of home clashes e.g the two Sheffield's, the two Manchester's, etc.  And so the schedules are the work of some deviant species probably called Murdochs.

nose

take each game as it comes,
we have to play them all twice
every game is winnable, but we could slip up
we are the best team in the division
we just need to prove it by winning!

filham

Cardiff on Boxing day, the times of easy travel fixtures to a neighbouring club on a bank holiday are long gone.

Arthur

Quote from: toshes mate on June 21, 2017, 02:22:33 PM

They did use to do that before the computer wallahs messed the scheduling algorithms.  It could still be done in the old manner...

It is - in that, for example, every team's opening fixture will be repeated on the weekend that we play away to Norwich.

Was there ever a time when the fixture list for the first-half of the season rolled itself out for the second-half? Back in the 1960s, for instance, there were seasons in which we played the same team home and away in August and/or another team home and away at Christmas and/or yet another double-header at Easter.

It's easy to assume that the things we liked about the old manner - a Boxing Day fixture against a local rival is one change that is lamented, above - no longer happen merely on the whim of a so-called 'computer wallah', when, in actuality, there exists a credible reason: in this instance, the Police don't want to have to provide the manpower that controlling half-a-dozen London derbies would require on a day when their work force are as keen to be with their families as the rest of us.

I read earlier, elsewhere on this forum, an article which explains the many factors that are taken into consideration to compile the fixture list. Anyone who believes it to be a straightforward task will, I think, be surprised.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-fixtures-2017-18-how-13213422

alfie

Quote from: westcliff white on June 21, 2017, 09:05:28 AM
its a tough opening 8 games or so and our run in is a tough one too
Why?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Wingnut

Quote from: Fulhamfan666 on June 21, 2017, 12:02:28 PM
Difficult, but we can do it.

COYW !

Any idea when tickets go on sale?

Also, any chance of this fixture being changed for television? 
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Skatzoffc

Imo, it doesn't matter who/when you play teams on this division. It changes week by week when u play 3 games in 8 days.
Bring it on. We now what  a we have to do. Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

ffcthereligion

Reading away first game of the season! Brilliant stuff.

He went to wembley, he missed the penalty, OBITAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

toshes mate

Quote from: Arthur on June 21, 2017, 07:07:56 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on June 21, 2017, 02:22:33 PM

They did use to do that before the computer wallahs messed the scheduling algorithms.  It could still be done in the old manner...
Was there ever a time when the fixture list for the first-half of the season rolled itself out for the second-half? Back in the 1960s, for instance, there were seasons in which we played the same team home and away in August and/or another team home and away at Christmas and/or yet another double-header at Easter.

I'll say it again shall I, the Saturday matches were rolled out in the repeating formula and order but weekday and bank holiday fixtures were always treated differently with, as far as possible and as an example, local team fixtures declared for all holidays.  This is not even attempted now, with Fulham's games over bank holidays including Cardiff this season when there are plentiful London clubs in the Championship this year.   And I'll repeat the point, so that we are very clear, scheduling is very easy to do especially with modern computers provided the factors required are made clear before the program is run to construct the schedule.  Even alternatives schedules can be offered so that everyone concerned with safety elements etc can declare their best fit.   

However, it is apparent in today's world that the best programmers are not to be found working on mundane stuff like football schedules, and so you are at least right in that respect.   Cheap and nasty as are all things Murdoch.

dhowells21

Quote from: FFC73 on June 21, 2017, 02:06:23 PM
Not sure it matters who we play when but what I look for is fixtures that are easier to travel to &/or where a mini break can be arranged, e.g Rotherham Sat & Derby Tues meant a long weekend in Peak District could be arranged. Nothing like that this season.

Other quirks. Leeds away mid week 4th season running & home game, although Easter Monday, is also not a Saturday. Again 4 on a trot

This is how I look at them as well. Don't care what order, just look at which I can go to.

Ipswich away whilst I'm holiday, Hull away over Xmas period, Leeds away on a Tuesday and a Manchester based away day not until February have got me cursing at the fixture computer.

However, whilst that all is selfish loathing, Hull & Cardiff away over Xmas time is an absolute joke. Who the hell is going to go all the way up to Hull between Xmas and New Year...

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: dhowells21 on June 22, 2017, 11:04:40 AM
Quote from: FFC73 on June 21, 2017, 02:06:23 PM

This is how I look at them as well. Don't care what order, just look at which I can go to.

Ipswich away whilst I'm holiday, Hull away over Xmas period, Leeds away on a Tuesday and a Manchester based away day not until February have got me cursing at the fixture computer.

However, whilst that all is selfish loathing, Hull & Cardiff away over Xmas time is an absolute joke. Who the hell is going to go all the way up to Hull between Xmas and New Year...

Not even Father Christmas.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Arthur

Quote from: toshes mate on June 22, 2017, 10:23:32 AM
I'll say it again shall I, the Saturday matches were rolled out in the repeating formula and order...

I agree that you did indeed make this point. I asked for confirmation of it and you have done so. Thank you.

... but weekday and bank holiday fixtures were always treated differently with, as far as possible and as an example, local team fixtures declared for all holidays.

I don't see where you previously stated this. If I have overlooked it, I apologise. Otherwise it is an addition to the information you provided earlier, rather than a repetition of it.

This is not even attempted now, with Fulham's games over bank holidays including Cardiff this season when there are plentiful London clubs in the Championship this year.

You are right to say that Bank holiday fixtures against local rivals are no longer a prerequisite of the fixture list, but I question whether this is, as you think, the machinations of those who program the computers. May I quote from the article to which I provided a link in my earlier post: Clubs are very keen to ensure that their local derbies don't pop up on a key date where there may be policing issues and increased charges, if it's a Bank Holiday for example.

And I'll repeat the point, so that we are very clear, scheduling is very easy to do especially with modern computers provided the factors required are made clear before the program is run to construct the schedule.  Even alternatives schedules can be offered so that everyone concerned with safety elements etc can declare their best fit.

I agree. Anything that is computer-generated is easy, as you say, provided the factors are made clear before the program is run. My opinion: that compiling the fixture list is not a straightforward task is based on the diversity of the factors that are taken into account: from meetings with the Police to trying to maximise clubs' revenue to accommodating dozens of specific requests, every one of which has a knock-on effect. (It's not just the Sheffield's and Manchester's of football that are seeded: every club is paired with another.)

However, it is apparent in today's world that the best programmers are not to be found working on mundane stuff like football schedules, and so you are at least right in that respect.

Kind as it is to give me credit for something, I must inform you that you will have to revise your opinion to 'nothing right': both this and my earlier post are actually in defence of the fixture list computer programmers, not an attack on them.