watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Reasons to be cheerful

Started by Peabody, June 22, 2017, 08:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Firstly, this is not political but what a great country Britain is, we have given so much to the world, including the much maligned NHS. I know it has its problems but I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since 1969 and truly, I have wanted for nothing, including the equipment I need to treat my condition, the education needed to manage my condition, as well as the marvellous treatment I get from my diabetic nurse, who monitors my condition and not forgetting the Eye Unit at St Helier Hospital.

So, three cheers from me for the NHS.

filham

Oh dear , you may have started a debate here Peabody.

No doubt that we should all be thankful for the NHS and in particular for the wonderful medical staff that serve us so well, you rarely hear a bad word against them.

A question mark hangs over the admin though compared with say the sixties. In hospitals  for  there seems to be so many people at computer stations and walking around carrying pieces of paper instead of attending to the sick in the wards.

I would really like to see the staff/ patient ratio in a modern hospital compared to that of sixty years ago.

RaySmith

But 60 years ago they didn't have computers, now they are integral to running the place.

But the NHS is a controversial topic at the moment - with lack of funding and  nurses not having a pay rise for years, and creeping privatisation.

But forget the politics, I second Peabody in his cheers for the NHS - we are so lucky to have this, and should count our blessings.

nose

Quote from: Peabody on June 22, 2017, 08:12:13 AM
Firstly, this is not political but what a great country Britain is, we have given so much to the world, including the much maligned NHS. I know it has its problems but I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since 1969 and truly, I have wanted for nothing, including the equipment I need to treat my condition, the education needed to manage my condition, as well as the marvellous treatment I get from my diabetic nurse, who monitors my condition and not forgetting the Eye Unit at St Helier Hospital.

So, three cheers from me for the NHS.

I am type 1 too and also at St Helier and I can confirm until now they have been brilliant. A little overloaded at times but nonetheless brilliant!

epsomraver

Anybody who walks out of St Helier has reasons to be cheerful

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: epsomraver on June 22, 2017, 12:42:03 PM

You can say that again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Peabody

Quote from: epsomraver on June 22, 2017, 12:42:03 PM

There speaks someone from Epsom Hospital!

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on June 22, 2017, 12:31:20 PM
But 60 years ago they didn't have computers, now they are integral to running the place.

But the NHS is a controversial topic at the moment - with lack of funding and  nurses not having a pay rise for years, and creeping privatisation.

But forget the politics, I second Peabody in his cheers for the NHS - we are so lucky to have this, and should count our blessings.
I do agree, we are lucky to have such a good service and am right behind Peabody but would question if the modern computer based system is as efficient as the sixties Matron was.

PokerMatt

The NHS is our most important asset. We must do everything possible to keep it out of the hands of grubby profiteers.

I was able to get treatment for my eye condition at East Grinstead after being diagnosed by one of the leading consultants in the field. It's treatment that isn't covered by insurance in the States, and while it's not a cure (hopefully a prevention of further deterioration) I have eyesight good enough to drive and do everything I need to in my daily life - thanks to the NHS.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Holders

My last NHS treatment was at Torbay. It was so good from beginning to end that I'm sure I couldn't have got better if I'd gone private.

That said, a friend who works at another hospital tells horror stories about the management, outdated policies and supervision.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cmg

ER is quite right. The very first time I was at St. Helier Hospital I had to be carried out.

.....Luckily we lived down the bottom of Rose Hill, so Mum was able to put the pram on a 164 bus and......no, hang on. She couldn't do that, could she? This was 1948 and if you tried to put a pram on a bus they'd call the law and have you banged up in one of the many loony bins situated around ER's (former) neck of the woods. Luckily the prams in those days had wheels on. Only about a mile to Sutton Green.

NHS: Flawed but Fantastic

bog

Well said. Our member of the Fulham brotherhood, namely Old Brown Shoe, has had some really  serious health issues recently but the help he as received has been phenomenal.

092.gif

bog

It's me again. Some may care to Google 'Dr Bob Gill exposes The Naylor Review' and select a video. Makes an interesting viewing.

092.gif

cmg

Another Reason To Be Cheerful:

You are not a FC Bastia supporter. (you're not, are you?)
           If you are - you have just been relegated from Ligue 1
                          - Fulham are sniffing around your right back
                          - and now, before you've kicked a ball in Ligue 2, you hear you've been relegated to the third tier for 'financial irregularities'.

Southcoastffc

I woke up again today.   092.gif.   The new season starts in about 6 weeks  :wine:   049:gif.  Every day is a good day, even if sometimes you have to look a bit harder to see the good bits.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

GloucesterWhite

The NHS tries and the people are hard working. But the medical profession is too reliant on the big pharmaceutical companies, consequently many patients die unnecessarily.

Peabody

081.gif
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on June 23, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
The NHS tries and the people are hard working. But the medical profession is too reliant on the big pharmaceutical companies, consequently many patients die unnecessarily.

This is supposed be a cheerful thread

Woolly Mammoth

A piece of genuine advice.
Never make your Doctor your heir.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Peabody on June 23, 2017, 11:31:58 AM
081.gif
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on June 23, 2017, 10:10:34 AM

This is supposed be a cheerful thread

Yes, sorry. My experience wasn't a happy one.

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on June 22, 2017, 07:02:28 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on June 22, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

I do agree, we are lucky to have such a good service and am right behind Peabody but would question if the modern computer based system is as efficient as the sixties Matron was.

There is a lot of merit in what you say by comparison, though on the one side we no longer produce such matrons as we saw as youngsters and on the other the computer system could be SO much better if it was implemented and maintained correctly.
Nothing political in this as it is across the broad spectrum, but it has always been my observation/experience - both sides of the pond - that the moment any level of government gets involved with decision-making in the IT world, it all goes to rats, i've seen/suffered it first hand.

That said, the NHS is still the best in the world, penny for penny, and the NHS employees need to be applauded much more than they usually are.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.