watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who the heck is Djalo???

Started by Frackleheath, June 22, 2017, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frackleheath

Having read the bit about this guy Djalo being touted by the "statisticians", reminds me of the previous discussions concerning these guys who appear to know very little about English Championship football.

It appears that this guy has only ever played for "B" sides, even getting transferred back from Juventus to another "B" team!!!

It would be very enlightening to see what the statistics show to support there suggestion that he be purchased - could it possible be a low fee or an "Old Pals Act???"

Deeping_white

This would be the same statisticians who brought in Ayite, Kebano, Odoi etc etc who 90% of our fanbase would never have heard of before we signed, all of whom had a positive impact on the team last season?? People need to stop seeing the use of stats to drive transfers as a negative, Slav has a say in all transfers as well so it's not like they play bingo with random people and force the manager to accept them.

Surely one should look at the fact that arguably one of the best European teams signing him as a positive as they clearly saw something in him? He's 23 and going to be cheap, so even if he's not a massive success then at least we didn't break the bank for him & he'll have resale value.

westcliff white

apparently he is a free agent so cheaper than cheap :)
Every day is a Fulham day

Lighthouse

There a few positions where we are very poorly served. Bringing in a player who is not necessarily first choice but a handy squad player isn't such a bad idea. On saying all that I have no idea how good or bad he is.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

This is a translation from the Spanish publication El Pogresso:
"The central defender of Club Deportivo Lugo Marcelo Djaló traveled to England on Wednesday to close his transfer to Fulham, a group that plays in the English Championship (second division).
This operation could provide the red and white set a significant amount of money, which could be around one million euros.
Djaló arrived last campaign to the Lugo from Ucam Murcia and belonged to Juventus Italian. The Lugo made an option to acquire the player at the end of this season."

I have absolutely no idea about this player.
The thing is, if we are going to use these (to may of us) mysterious computer metrics (is that the right word?), they are going to throw up the occasional mystery name. Someone that is unknown not only to the vast majority of fans but to the professionals on the scouting and management staff. That, surely, is the point. If we are going to rely only on traditional methods we are going to come up with more traditional types. The discovery of an 'under the radar' talent is, surely, what this technological approach is all about. If, in the longer term, it only throws up players who are rubbish then it should be ditched. But first it needs to be tried.

Deeping_white

Quote from: cmg on June 22, 2017, 04:08:38 PM
This is a translation from the Spanish publication El Pogresso:
"The central defender of Club Deportivo Lugo Marcelo Djaló traveled to England on Wednesday to close his transfer to Fulham, a group that plays in the English Championship (second division).
This operation could provide the red and white set a significant amount of money, which could be around one million euros.
Djaló arrived last campaign to the Lugo from Ucam Murcia and belonged to Juventus Italian. The Lugo made an option to acquire the player at the end of this season."

I have absolutely no idea about this player.
The thing is, if we are going to use these (to may of us) mysterious computer metrics (is that the right word?), they are going to throw up the occasional mystery name. Someone that is unknown not only to the vast majority of fans but to the professionals on the scouting and management staff. That, surely, is the point. If we are going to rely only on traditional methods we are going to come up with more traditional types. The discovery of an 'under the radar' talent is, surely, what this technological approach is all about. If, in the longer term, it only throws up players who are rubbish then it should be ditched. But first it needs to be tried.

Agreed, I think too many people are in the mindset still with the old fashioned methods of going for players from bigger leagues, and bigger teams, or players who are necessarily popular. I understand that to a point, but FFP means we have to get smart and find those gems as they'll be beneficial to the budget long term. They're out there and we just need to find them, which is how I view the use of stats; an enabler for finding players who might get overlooked. Mahrez, Kante, Vardy are but a few who came from smaller teams and now command hefty fees. If we're proactive then we can find some great players on the cheap and ultimately raise their profile and profit from them if need be. We've got a system whereby the manager also gets a say in who he wants so it isn't as though stats is the only answer, plus we've got one of the better coaches in European football who can improve whoever we bring in.

AlexW132

If it's a free transfer then I'm happy with him as a back up. Our squad is thin, especially at the back.

@jolslover

Just read this from a Spanish Journo today. (Rough Translation)

According to @LGV11010, the central defender Marcelo Djalo has the interest of the English Fulham.
I think that it would fit there perfectly.

Marcelo is a central back with future. His physical power and technical with the ball, is good into the English football.
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

He is a fraction short of 6 ft 4 ins.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

glenhodgso

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2017, 05:39:43 PM

I like what you did there - juxtaposing 'short' with '6 ft 4 ins'

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: glenhodgso on June 22, 2017, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 22, 2017, 05:39:43 PM

I like what you did there - juxtaposing 'short' with '6 ft 4 ins'

I try and be as accurate as I can, I am pleased you noticed it. ☑️

Never forget your Roots.

filham

We made some good signings last season but Stats Boy does not stop us making some mistakes.
Sigurdsson, Petsos, Jozabed and Martin were players we could have done without last season.
I am all for signing the unknown player of low value from small clubs who we recognise as having talent but am waiting for this to happen. When Stats Boy unearths a bargain like Ivor I will be impressed. but of course playing for a small non league outfit Ivor would not have had creditable stats.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on June 22, 2017, 06:54:57 PM
We made some good signings last season but Stats Boy does not stop us making some mistakes.
Sigurdsson, Petsos, Jozabed and Martin were players we could have done without last season.
I am all for signing the unknown player of low value from small clubs who we recognise as having talent but am waiting for this to happen. When Stats Boy unearths a bargain like Ivor I will be impressed. but of course playing for a small non league outfit Ivor would not have had creditable stats.

Martin and Jozabed were nothing to do with stats. I know for a fact that Escobar/Slavisa/Javi are big fans of Martin. With them favouriting tweets saying he was the best striker in the league a while before we signed him.
Ass for Joza MJG on here has claimed he was a Slavisa signing. He has proven to me before he is reliable.
STH H3

aaronmcguigan

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

HeinekenFFC

I looked at some highlights of Lugo and the guy is an absolute tank. Far taller than any of the CBs we have and pretty bulky as well. I think we could definitely use a player of this type given how we struggled so much with the big strikers like Zohore and Kodjia.

SouthfieldWhite

I do love these type of posts, some one who has never heard of him  so in that case he can't be that good.
For Juve to ofsigned himthere must be something about him, maybe he just didn't settle inIty.
Let's give the bloke a chance before writing him off .

We get this every season  , but last season we acquired some very good players so credit where it is due.

Not every signing works out, that's not just at Fulham but at all clubs.

@jolslover

Last two posts I agree with. He does look a monster.
STH H3