watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FoF Member Spotlight - Getting to know Jarv

Started by love4ffc, June 23, 2017, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

It's been awhile since we have done one.  With it being the off season now seems like a great time. 

FoF Member Spotlight - Getting to know Jarv

I was Born, west of Scotland.  I now reside in Massachusetts, USA where I have lived for the last _______ year.  I own a seasonal business supplying football kits and equipment.  The great thing is that with it being seasonal it's only a part time job.  In the autumn, I also coach a high school girls team.  It's decent pocket money for about 12 weeks of fun.

As for my family I have a son and daughter.  My son is a very good player.  When he finished university, he went to London to get a job but the real reason (I think) was football.  He played 2 seasons in Ryman league, div 1 and one at Hanwell Town, spartan league (I think).  Unfortunately, due to a ski racing accident at age 18, he rarely completed a season because of a knee reconstruction, resulting in swelling by about February.  My daughter was also a good player who scored lots of goals.  One day to my horror she asked me, "what would you say if I quit soccer?".  My response was, "I will ask you why?".  She was 11 and sadly that was it.

I have been an FFC fan since 1960.  Moved to London and was living in Southfields.  Age 12, I went to the cottage and became a J. Haynes fan first.  He was amazing so I returned and after 2 games, that was it.  Forever Fulham.

The highlight for me following Fulham must be the cup final, 1975.

Most amusing moment I've seen as Fulham fan.... we were losing about 3-0, at half time to entertain the crowd George Best got the ball on halfway at the touchline. He dribbled to the other touchline beating several opponents, just for fun.

In my spare time, which I don't have a lot, I try to keep busy. I am a ski volunteer in a ski program that works with kids that have disabilities.  For doing this I get a free season pass. I do some carpentry making household items, but not much lately.  There are only so many book cases and coffee tables one needs.  I also watch FAR TOO MUCH football on tv.  Here in USA we have games on almost every day.  NBC sports shows EVERY premier game live.

Accomplishments... one sticks in my mind.  Playing in the over 55 leagues (I quit now at age 69) two years ago.  We were awarded a free kick 5 yards outside the area in the inside left channel. (Younger FoFers, ask an older one what inside left is).  I insisted on taking the free kick.  There was a 4-man wall and I hit the ball straight as an arrow.  The ball was still rising when it hit the net, the top right-hand corner (keepers left).  That was the last goal I scored and probably the best ever.  Even the opposition players applauded it (I didn't get many down the years).  I still brag about that strike to friends.

That's about it.

Ray
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

dannyboi-ffc

Great read Ray.

Thanks for sharing it with us  :54:   049:gif
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

love4ffc

Jarv - questions for you about coaching as I also coach in the school system here in the States. 

What division are your girls currently in?  I am at a small school so we are only 1A. 
What was your best season?  I once had a team (girls) place third in the state of North Carolina. 
Have you had any of your players go on to play uni?  I have had a few kids I have coached go on to play at uni but the schools are all small and private.  No big name schools. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

jarv

We are a small school, play division 3 in Massachusetts but just got bumped to div 2. Good  because we had several games where the best players had to sit out but still won 6-0. Several girls have gone on to play at college, usually smaller, colleges where the sports don't count for so much.
I think next season will be tougher, playing some bigger schools which have many more options but that's the challenge. The biggest problem is we don't have a decent keeper. (I hope she isn't a closet Fulham fan and reads this). However, it does make the girls defend better, they have to.
The saddest story is a girl who played one season, she was fantastic, scored incredible goals (very small girl but ticked all the boxes, she played like a boy) but had to have surgery on a foot problem, it didn't work, more surgery....she had to quit. She could easily have gone to college on a full sponsorhsip IMO.

Mince n Tatties