watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Safe Standing something for Fulham?

Started by G_Gribby, June 25, 2017, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Gribby

Noticed from Twitter is the ongoing discussion regarding the Safe Standing concept. A majority of the Prem clubs are interested to try it out.

Are Fulham interested to have it at e.g. Hammy end?
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

AlexW132

Only place it would be worthwhile would be back of H5 and to be honest it would look out of place amongst the seats.

bog

At my age I prefer to sit, I have done my standing. I can understand those who want to stand though.

092.gif

epsomraver

No reason why the old enclosure could not be reinstated as standing, it always was

nose

Quote from: epsomraver on June 25, 2017, 01:20:27 PM
No reason why the old enclosure could not be reinstated as standing, it always was

Making the old enclosure standing would make the seated part less safe

Woolly Mammoth

I welcolme standing, It creates a better atmosphere and a lot of people can stand together who may not have seats together.
Then all the people who get up off their seats in front of me when the ball crosses the halfway line when we are attacking. Can go and stand in the designated standing area, and let me sit in my seat without having to get up every five minutes to see the game when they block my view.
I didn't buy a seat to stand up or lay down.
I am taller than most of the rest of the population, and I still cannot see when the people in front far too prematurely stand up, which forces me to stand up, then there is a domino effect.
Because then everyone else has to stand up, cause when I reluctantly stand up, there is a total eclipse of the sun. As i am blocking the view of the poor people behind me.

However, Stadiums in general are now like Libraries....it's time to make a Stand.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

gang

Quote from: bog on June 25, 2017, 01:14:50 PM
At my age I prefer to sit, I have done my standing. I can understand those who want to stand though.

+1

092.gif

westcliff white

i prefer to sit, think it is safer for adults and children that standing areas, however, historically you have been able to stand and as long as it is safe then can see that it should return on one side of a ground only for home supporters. For away fans part of the away end could be converted as well I guess. But safety has to come first not like it was in the old days
Every day is a Fulham day

grandad

Ahh, those were the days in the old home Cottage end before the terrace extension with a 40k+ crowd.
Where there's a will there's a wife

flyingfish

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 25, 2017, 02:08:43 PM
I welcolme standing, It creates a better atmosphere and a lot of people can stand together who may not have seats together.
Then all the people who get up off their seats in front of me when the ball crosses the halfway line when we are attacking. Can go and stand in the designated standing area, and let me sit in my seat without having to get up every five minutes to see the game when they block my view.
I am taller than most of the rest of the population, and I still cannot see when the people in front far too prematurely stand up, which forces me to stand up, then there is a domino effect.
Because then everyone else has to stand up, cause when I reluctantly stand up, there is a total eclipse of the sun. As i am blocking the view of the poor people behind me.
I hope you can understand my post cause I can't.

Safe standing doesn't work like that. You can't move around, you have an area to stand in, like a seat ticket.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: flyingfish on June 25, 2017, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 25, 2017, 02:08:43 PM
I hope you can understand my post cause I can't.

Safe standing doesn't work like that. You can't move around, you have an area to stand in, like a seat ticket.

STAND
I under

but.....
Stadiums are like Libraries...it's time to make a STAND.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

In today's world I can see a wealth of reasons for not re-introducing standing although I, personally, always enjoyed the terracing.  This is not the world of the fifties, sixties and seventies where safety and security were buzzwords that only ever came up when something was demonstrably unsafe or insecure save for the many cases of human error.  These days there are many more things that are highly unpredictable that even the safest places can prove not to be so.  And so I guess the real question is - can it be made to work without decreasing safety and security.  On the first part, safety, I do not believe standing is more dangerous than seating providing crush barriers are properly sited and built for safety of smaller or less strong customers.  However it is security that must be first and foremost in the minds of those who carry the hefty responsibility for football grounds.  If, and only if, those who steward our grounds are satisfied the game can remain as safe and secure as possible will change come along.  I'd like terraces back but only with my provisos met.

FulhamStu

This could be a way of turning the Putney end into the home end.  Have safe standing for the singers in the back half of the middle sections in the Putney end.  Redevelop the Hammersmith end with a specially designed area for away fans where they will be less heard and easier to manage, probably in the corner.

nose

Most people prefer to sit
if there had never been standing people would sit
standing is a problem for smaller people and children and old people or people with a problem but not disabled
standing is inherently less safe. you can make smaller pens and add barriers but then what is the point of that.
So what we are talking about is making a section for essentially young fit males who are tallish or taller, who presumably cannot cope with remaining seated.
Of course you can create a brilliant atmosphere seated, the library issue tends to be as a result of high prices and the inability to purchase tickets on the day. Tourists, to use the unpleasant term, tend to be one reason for the poor atmosphere. Another is the way money and marketing have crept in and we are treated as a customer in a theme park rather than fans of a club, we do not need so much pre match and half time entertainment, turning down the tannoy would help! Also the new stadiums are plastic/anemic in nature when we played Juve and Hamburg the cottage was electric and that was seated, it is a function of the ground and ocasion.

FulhamStu

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 26, 2017, 10:06:10 AM
This could be a way of turning the Putney end into the home end.  Have safe standing for the singers in the back half of the middle sections in the Putney end.  Redevelop the Hammersmith end with a specially designed area for away fans where they will be less heard and easier to manage, probably in the corner.
I will add to that, I would personally if I owned the club with the wealth of Mr Khan, redesign the Riverside development to include Putney and Hammersmith ends.  Have a 3 sided wrap round stand double tiered on the Riverside and Hammersmith, with a large single area like we have today at the Putney end which would House the home singers in a safe standing area as above.  This would massively increase atmosphere and bring the ground to modern standards with all the corporate and increased commercial opportunities we need.

My dream....

FulhamStu

Quote from: nose on June 26, 2017, 10:11:59 AM
standing is a problem for smaller people and children and old people or people with a problem but not disabled
standing is inherently less safe. you can make smaller pens and add barriers but then what is the point of that.
So what we are talking about is making a section for essentially young fit males who are tallish or taller, who presumably cannot cope with remaining seated.
Of course you can create a brilliant atmosphere seated, the library issue tends to be as a result of high prices and the inability to purchase tickets on the day. Tourists, to use the unpleasant term, tend to be one reason for the poor atmosphere. Another is the way money and marketing have crept in and we are treated as a customer in a theme park rather than fans of a club, we do not need so much pre match and half time entertainment, turning down the tannoy would help! Also the new stadiums are plastic/anemic in nature when we played Juve and Hamburg the cottage was electric and that was seated, it is a function of the ground and ocasion.

The fact is, many young fans as you call them, but not only young fans, stand today in seated areas.   Look at away fans, they often stand the whole game, old young, male or female.  Have an area where if you want to stand you can and the rest for those that like to sit.  Many issues arise today where some want to stand and some want to sit.

toshes mate

History says you are wrong.  Most theatre and concerts attended by the general public were standing, as, in contemporary times, we still see in places like the Globe, Glastonbury, or, more interestingly, the Proms.   Sitting was seen as 'delicate', 'polite' or 'courteous', as in status, privilege.   There are many places where people are observed to be standing and safe. 

The preference for sitting is not something I remember from my early days as a football supporter - early fifties on.  A family friend took me to several venues to watch football in London and every single one was standing as a young kid at the front barely tall enough to see over the hoardings.  My father, of strong middle class ancestry (his father owned a business in Fulham Broadway) always wanted to sit as if it marked him out as special.  He never did understand football.

I enjoyed standing and it helped to get me hooked on Fulham and throughout my life the only places I have sat down is where I cannot stand.  I still stand on tube trains and even overground if the journey time is not overlong.  I have always loved the freedom to move something a seat only offers in so much you can put your back into it or always be on the edge.  I have nothing against people sitting but I also have nothing against standing.  Surely there should be a choice.

nose

Quote from: FulhamStu on June 26, 2017, 10:17:18 AM

The fact is, many young fans as you call them, but not only young fans, stand today in seated areas.   Look at away fans, they often stand the whole game, old young, male or female.  Have an area where if you want to stand you can and the rest for those that like to sit.  Many issues arise today where some want to stand and some want to sit.

I noticed at reading that at the start everyone was standing. as soon as anyone at the front sat, the whole section behind did likewise. It is a few standing that ensure the majority have to stand. Generally if you ask people to sit, they are very condescending.  When the stands are mopre sparsely populated i note people that want to stand go to the side or back, (equivalent to a safe standing area) but the vast majority do not, they sit.

Lighthouse

I don't think it is a safety issue anymore. Fans still keep jumping up every time Fulham cross the half way line causing everybody to have to get up to see. However what would be the point now of standing areas. It would seem to be a step back. Stepping back in a standing area sounds as if you would be treading on too many toes. Don't need it and I am not sure that many want it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

Quote from: toshes mate on June 26, 2017, 10:38:21 AM
History says you are wrong.  Most theatre and concerts attended by the general public were standing, as, in contemporary times, we still see in places like the Globe, Glastonbury, or, more interestingly, the Proms.   Sitting was seen as 'delicate', 'polite' or 'courteous', as in status, privilege.   There are many places where people are observed to be standing and safe. 

The preference for sitting is not something I remember from my early days as a football supporter - early fifties on.  A family friend took me to several venues to watch football in London and every single one was standing as a young kid at the front barely tall enough to see over the hoardings.  My father, of strong middle class ancestry (his father owned a business in Fulham Broadway) always wanted to sit as if it marked him out as special.  He never did understand football.

I enjoyed standing and it helped to get me hooked on Fulham and throughout my life the only places I have sat down is where I cannot stand.  I still stand on tube trains and even overground if the journey time is not overlong.  I have always loved the freedom to move something a seat only offers in so much you can put your back into it or always be on the edge.  I have nothing against people sitting but I also have nothing against standing.  Surely there should be a choice.

History says seating is more expensive therefore people stand, it is (was) cheaper.
I do not mind a choice but do believe it a major step backwards, but if people can be accommodated, genuinely safely (and I am not sure I think they can be), let them stand. If the price was identical, i would be suprised if standing was as popular.

in a pop concert, it is different because people get up to dance, but I do note that it is very much less safe.

in a theatre people prefer to sit, standing is always a reduced price because it is less pleasant to have to stand so long.

And with standing the issue of people's height remains, it only works if the person in front of you is much less tall, believe me I have been to enough games and made to stand, all those years ago, and really saw so little of the game, it was pointless attending!