watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

First four league games

Started by The Swan, June 25, 2017, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Starting on the 5th of August at home to Norwich, then away to Reading and away to Leeds and then home to Sheffield Wednesday. All games in August. During this time of the season Fulham are still debating who to sign to add strength to our side.
If we carry out our business like we did last season we will not win any of the league games in August. Then we will have to catch up with teams that may have added to their team. Hope I am wrong and we sign the players we want way before the end of the transfer window.
The Swan

ffc73

I get what you are saying. I would like our squad complete by 4 August

Being positive. Those 4 fixtures got us 3 points last season & we made the playoffs. I strangely feel confident that we can beat that total this time around.  With or without all required new signings in place

And remember. Newcastle managed to win the title after losing their first 2 games

Woolly Mammoth

This has to be a priority to ensure the same mistakes are not repeated this time round.
Despite being a 46 match long season.
If these 4 teams are some of our nearest rivals, then these matches could be considered 6 pointers already, as every point we win is also a point lost by them.
It's imperative we win as many points from those 4 matches as we can, and to give us the best possible chance, any new players if we can, must be recruited and been involved in preseason training and matches.
If the club are as ambitious as they should be by building on last seasons form by adding to the players we already have, with new players that will make us stronger, and not just for cover or back up.
I get the impression that the club are beavering away to get their targets, I just hope any penny pinching and too much realiance on stats does not cost us the players we need.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Why is always at the beginning of every season we always seem to start with negativity. Mr Swan stating that IF we carry out our business as last season, we won't win any games in August, well I prefer to to think even with our current squad we would get wins in August, but that's just my way of thinking, there's reason to assume that those four teams will be better than us.
Just an option though just like Mr Swan.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Sgt Fulham

With our squad from last season:

Norwich (H) - Win
Reading (A) - With any ounce of luck Win
Leeds (A) - Draw
Sheffield Wednesday (H) - Draw

You're talking like you skipped a season. Barring an awful transfer window, losing key players and signing nobody, those teams aren't that difficult.

hovewhite

Believe will beat norwich and reading and minimum draw from the games v leeds and sheff wed.

dhowells21

You're correct in saying it'd be ideal to sort out the transfers and squad before the start of the season. But that's the same every season right?

Norwich, Leeds, Reading & SheffWed are in the same position. It's not like those 4 all have their squad sorted and settled for the new season.

The squad we have now is settled and far from a disaster. Improvable definitely. But its not a squad that would get easily turned over by those 4.

Let's not cry about August fixtures too much, we're not even in July yet..

toshes mate

Quote from: alfie on June 26, 2017, 10:11:30 AM
Why is always at the beginning of every season we always seem to start with negativity.
Bothers me too.  We have to play all the other twenty three sides twice regardless of what day, month, or year it is.  And we need to beat every darned one of them, preferably twice.  Nothing like starting as you mean to go on.

filham

Remember points gained at the beginning of the season have just as much value as those won  at the end. Signing key new players right at the end of the window means we are weak for the first four matches and disruption then takes place while these new players blend into the team.
Really all new players should be with us for at least three weeks before the start of the season.

AlexW132

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on June 26, 2017, 11:41:36 AM

Norwich (H) - Win
Leeds (A) - Draw

You're talking like you skipped a season. Barring an awful transfer window, losing key players and signing nobody, those teams aren't that difficult.
Sounds like you're assuming we're signing Kalas which is looking very much unlikely right now.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: AlexW132 on June 26, 2017, 03:10:51 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on June 26, 2017, 11:41:36 AM

Norwich (H) - Win
Leeds (A) - Draw

Sounds like you're assuming we're signing Kalas which is looking very much unlikely right now.

I'm not assuming anything. Kalas was solid last season but isn't irreplaceable, and we won't suddenly become rubbish without him. I'd rather be positive about the next season given the brilliant season we just had.

davew

I seem to remember that we were unbeaten after the first 5 games last season and that amazed all of us, I really don't think that is going to happen this season but maybe we will win 1 game in September this year??
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)