watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Heads you win tails you loose - Wayne Shaw

Started by Roberty, July 16, 2017, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

As reported on the BBC website the FA have charged Sutton's rotund former reserve keeper and he is the subject of an investigation by the Gambling Commission for eating a pie during the FA Cup tie against Arsenal.

Sadly those who should be charge with crass stupidity and possible committed under the metal health act, the book makers, are going to get off penny-light but scot-free.

As I see it the guy would have been subject to investigation and charge by both authorities if he had not eaten a pie too, because that would have also influnced the betting market.

Since he didn't eat the pie until after Sutton had made their third substitution and was therefore no longer legible to come onto the pitch the real nature of this bet was - would Sutton make three substitutions and leave enough time for him to eat a pie - which they did - so rightfully they had to pay up.

Since the bet was well advertised before the game took place the FA and possible the Gambling Commission should have warned the book makers off before the game took place and not left the hapless Shaw to influence the betting market wether he ate a pie or not.

The only good thing from all of this is that he choose to punish the book makers who offered such an stupid bet and not the punters who are usually the losers in any gambling market.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40607213

The Football Association has charged former Sutton keeper Wayne Shaw with breaching betting rules after he ate a pie in the FA Cup loss to Arsenal.

Shaw resigned after being shown eating the pie during February's fifth-round defeat, after a bookmaker had offered 8/1 odds on him doing so.

The 45-year-old has been charged with intentionally influencing a football betting market, and improper conduct.

He has until 18:00 BST on Friday, 21 July to respond to the charges.

FA ends deals with gambling firms
Following the match, Shaw admitted to being aware of the betting promotion, but said the incident was "just a bit of fun".

He was also made the subject of an investigation by the Gambling Commission, after Sun Bets claimed to have paid out a "five-figure" sum for a bet placed on their promotion.

"We are told we are not allowed to gamble as it is full-time professional football," Shaw told BBC Radio 4's World at One programme at the time.

"In no way did I put anyone in jeopardy of that - this is not the case here, this is just a bit of fun and me being hungry."
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

westcliff white

Its very harsh I agree. Trying to play Devils Advocate he did say he was aware of the odds being offered and that he had never eaten a pie / pasty before during a game, so one could say he did it on purpose.

BUt it is crazy world gone mad.
Every day is a Fulham day

bill taylors apprentice

Sorry, my brains a bit foggy after my Saturday night out, are you defending him as I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Also are we to believe he (or someone on his behalf) didn't put a bet on himself or gain financially in anyway?

Roberty

Quote from: westcliff white on July 16, 2017, 08:19:42 AM
Its very harsh I agree. Trying to play Devils Advocate he did say he was aware of the odds being offered and that he had never eaten a pie / pasty before during a game, so one could say he did it on purpose.

Yes - but not eating one - would also have been on purpose - the bet was about personal choice - it was up to him to choose - the bet was well publicised so it was impossible for him not to know - he decided to eat a pie - sometimes the bookies loose - they should not be crying when they offer such stupid bets

Roberty

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 16, 2017, 08:20:25 AM
Sorry, my brains a bit foggy after my Saturday night out, are you defending him as I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Also are we to believe he (or someone on his behalf) didn't put a bet on himself or gain financially in anyway?

I think he's innocent because there is not an option for him to take that would not influence the betting

As to him winning a bet placed on himself - that does not seem to be under investigation and he has not been charged with it - he says he didn't but if he had - that would have been against the rules and he should be punished for it.

My point is that bookmakers should not be allowed to offer bets like this and the authorities should not be hanging Shaw out to dry because the rules do not ban it - YET

Nero

Quote from: Roberty on July 16, 2017, 08:26:56 AM

Yes - but not eating one - would also have been on purpose - the bet was about personal choice - it was up to him to choose - the bet was well publicised so it was impossible for him not to know - he decided to eat a pie - sometimes the bookies loose - they should not be crying when they offer such stupid bets

I don't think the bookies were that bothered the amount of free advertising they got out of it, wouldn't be surprised if he was paid by the bookies to eat it,  think it's just the do gooders at these gambling organization that are bothered

westcliff white

I think you miss the point, he was charged because he was aware someone he knew placed a bet on him eating a pie / pasty, he was aware of the bet and the odds and then did what was required. This is against the betting laws, he had also never had a pie / pasty during a match before which clearly shows it isn't a normal thing he does.

I only think it is harsh as he isn't a professional player and thought the rules applied to pros. but c'est la vie

Roberty

Quote from: westcliff white on July 16, 2017, 08:40:19 AM

I think you miss the point, he was charged because he was aware someone he knew placed a bet on him eating a pie / pasty, he was aware of the bet and the odds and then did what was required. This is against the betting laws, he had also never had a pie / pasty during a match before which clearly shows it isn't a normal thing he does.

I only think it is harsh as he isn't a professional player and thought the rules applied to pros. but c'est la vie

Given the publicity regarding the bet being on offer - he could not fail to know that the bet was being offered - BUT whereas most betting is a matter of chance this was not the case here.

This bet was about choice not chance - does he choose to eat one or not - it was for him to choose

There is no suggestion that he personally profited and he has not been charge with that. The charge relates to making the choice and therefore influencing the betting and improper conduct - what ever that means - but given his size I would imagine this is not the first pie he's ever eaten.

The outcome of this should be that bets of this nature - where there is no element of chance envolved - being banned.

There is also a case for him to go after the bookmakers for compensation because of the insulting nature of the bet

As he said - it was a bit of fun - I'm sure the book makers thought so too - until they lost

Woolly Mammoth

So the question is "Who ate all the pies" ?
It's all Pie in the Sky to me .
I thought it was Chris Martin who ate all the pies, not the Sutton United reserve goalie.
Evidence actually points to Ross McCormack, as he could not climb his electric security gates, possibly due to eating all the pies. 🍔🌭🍕🍟🌮🥞🍤🧀🥐🍞
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2017, 04:54:37 PM
I see you point Roberty but if he didn't eat the pie then yes I agree, technically he'd still have been influencing the betting market but he would at least have the defence that he was just behaving normally and either unaware of, or ignoring, the bookmaker's offer. I don't think anyone could reasonably criticise him in those circumstances.

ha ha , are you a robot  ??

westcliff white

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2017, 04:54:37 PM
I see you point Roberty but if he didn't eat the pie then yes I agree, technically he'd still have been influencing the betting market but he would at least have the defence that he was just behaving normally and either unaware of, or ignoring, the bookmaker's offer. I don't think anyone could reasonably criticise him in those circumstances.
Agree if he did nothing he would have no case to answer as he was doing the usual, by eating he wasn't and thus opened himself up to the charge

Logicalman

Perhaps his only, and honest, option would have been to contact the FA before the match, state his case that he would do what he has always done and not eat a pie, and all would be dandy. Unfortunately he let the situation get the better of him (whether he placed a personal bet is also to be considered) and took part in the matter by departing from his usual business of not eating a pie, so he really has no good defence, mores the pity.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

ealex40

If the FA is so wound up regarding gambling, why do they allow so many clubs to display the names of Betting firms on their shirts?

Logicalman

Quote from: ealex40 on July 17, 2017, 06:40:22 PM
If the FA is so wound up regarding gambling, why do they allow so many clubs to display the names of Betting firms on their shirts?

:023:

Yup, that one is always top of the questions people want to ask the FA, a little bit of hypocrisy needling in from the FA I would say, though in retrospect, the only way I can see they might frown upon this issue is that it is the tip of the old iceberg regarding players betting on games, especially their own, and especially where they can influence it.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.