watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Offside equaliser

Started by MaidenheadMick, August 06, 2017, 11:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaidenheadMick

Although we didn't deserve to win, it was a poor ( non) call from the lino. Just paused it on Sky + the moment the ball left  Houllihans foot. Oliviera definately offside. There again it was a certain penalty when Odoi handled.

bobbo

Mick without being biased how was odoi supposed to get out of the way from ther ferocious kick of the ball . I always consider myself very fair , and your right we didn't deserve to win but that was no penalty and the Lino wasn't paying attention.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

NogoodBoyo

The reason I thought it was a definite penalty against Odoi is that he turned hos back but still had an eye on the attacker when his right elbow fanned away from his body.  That looked deliberate.
But, Oliveira did look very offside.
Nogood "funny old game Saint, isit" Boyo

b+w geezer

Yes, while a classy goal (in the movement, the pass and the finish) it was marginally offside. And the Odoi indeed seemed to be ball-to-hand. Still, on the game as a whole I agree that they didn't deserve to lose, nor we to win.

Flume

It's times like these when a VAR would of been useful...
In Slav we trust

westcliff white

hand ball as in the laws of the game is considered a deliberate movement of the hand to ball, for me that wasn't. I have not read the laws lately so unless they have changed then that's still the law.

As for offside, the angle of the camera on TV didn't help, Be great if they had one inline with the 18 year box, I initially thought it was off side but then couldn't be sure that Freds didn't play him on, as he was behind Kalas or that's what the angle seemed, as I say was a bad angle.
Every day is a Fulham day

Carborundum

Wes Hoolihan is a very gifted creator and, when he isn't costing us points, one of my favourite Championship footballers.   Not surprised he was the architect.  We could do a lot worse than make a cheeky late offer for him.

Offside / not offside?  Don't know.  Norwich thoroughly deserved to get a goal in the game though.

The carrying on after the goal, with player making point to manager suggests the Carrow Road dressing room might be in for some periods of turbulence.  Every sub thinks they should have been picked.  Very few decide it's acceptable to do that.  If I were in charge he'd be dropped from the squad for the next game or two. 

Lighthouse

The ball when passed hit a Fulham defender (?) on the way through and so was played onside (?)

The possible penalty seemed to be drilled at Odoi who was turning and had his arm down and couldn't have got out the way. If he did deliberately move his arm then his reactions were mighty fast.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

It was offside at the moment Hoolihan hit the ball. If it did touch a Fulham player , it was after the pass was made.

Their pen appeal was one of those that some refs give & others don´t. Odoi had no chance in avoiding the shot at him & was not an attempt to divert the ball deliberately.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Quote from: grandad on August 06, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
It was offside at the moment Hoolihan hit the ball. If it did touch a Fulham player , it was after the pass was made.

Their pen appeal was one of those that some refs give & others don´t. Odoi had no chance in avoiding the shot at him & was not an attempt to divert the ball deliberately.

If the ball deflected into the path of the forward and wasn't actually passed then that would be a reason it wasn't given. Just musing over the possibility of what the ref  and assistant saw.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Unfortunately, from the feed we had here, there was no good angle regarding the offside, I'll wait for the highlights reel, perhaps that'll help settle my mind.

As for the Penalty shout, no way was it just. Odoi turned his back, yes his elbow was slightly away from his body when the ball struck it, and then it was fanned forwards and upwards by the force of the ball itself. The issue for me is, when a player, or anyone, jumps in that manner, I believe the inclination is for the arms to move slightly away from the body, and so I cannot believe the penalty would have been just.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Denver Fulham

We didn't get a good angle at it, but it was Odoi who might have kept Oliviera onside. He was definitely beyond Kalas and Ream.

I thought Odoi's play was a penalty. That wasn't a natural arm position, to me, and it blocked a shot headed toward goal.

westcliff white

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 06, 2017, 05:01:54 PM
We didn't get a good angle at it, but it was Odoi who might have kept Oliviera onside. He was definitely beyond Kalas and Ream.

I thought Odoi's play was a penalty. That wasn't a natural arm position, to me, and it blocked a shot headed toward goal.
The laws (unless changed) always stated a movement of hand to ball, no mention of unnatural position, if they have changed so be it, but if they have then basically any ball that hits a hand is a penalty or free kick

bobbo

Lighthouse . It could actually happen that a ball is passed backwards and a player could be offside. I frequently used this scenario when training referees albeit many years ago.
So the direction the ball s played is irrelevant if a player is offside.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

westcliff white

Quote from: bobbo on August 06, 2017, 07:34:14 PM
Lighthouse . It could actually happen that a ball is passed backwards and a player could be offside. I frequently used this scenario when training referees albeit many years ago.
So the direction the ball s played is irrelevant if a player is offside.
I was told at a FA meeting of managers for youth football a month ago that off side constitutes an attacking player being beyond the last player with any part of the body that he can score with when a ball is played. The ball doesn't need to be played to the player it reaches, it can take a deflection, but if he is ahead of the last line with any part that he can score with when a forward pass is made then he is offside.

This is for u15's sunday league, they were trying to make it clear so there was no further confusion

Supermitch

For what it's worth my views having watched on highlights.  Penalty could have been given but would have been harsh.

Goal was offside but a close call.  We're going to get a lot close calls this season, some in our favour, some against.  Some will be right and some wrong.

We were unlucky with their goal especially with timing of it but we did get lucky with our goal.

Overall a fair result.

Nero

Anyone else think the keeper should have been off his line a bit quicker

westcliff white

Quote from: Nero on August 06, 2017, 08:46:56 PM
Anyone else think the keeper should have been off his line a bit quicker
not me, defender coming in, he was trying to cover 2 bases. I thought the defence should have been tighter and one maybe stopped the pass or two made sure player wasn't getting through. however that is nit picking to the extreme

Andy S

It's gone forget about it. The officials get decisions wrong all the time they are not robots