watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-not so fond memories

Started by bog, July 16, 2017, 09:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Still cannot make out yesterday's friendly. What was the purpose of playing a team way above us?

However, to continue on an optimistic note, what are your worst home and away defeats?

My home was 1961 Fulham 1 Sheff Weds 6 and the away was 1968 Wet Spam 7 Fulham 2.Β  fp.gif

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

I already feel hang dog. Too many to mention. I have forgotten the worst ones, as I get nightmares still.
But away to Swindon Town in a League Cup replay in the 70s, losing 0 5, was humiliating, we were outclassed, outfought and outplayed.
Just like yesterday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Fulham 0 Port Vale 6, didn't feel well coming down on the train,then watching that debacle shaking and sweating and spluttering.
Was in bed with the flu for 2 weeks not a cold as all call that the flu now...Couldn't move eat anything severe temperature.
So the Port Vale game doesn't sit well with me...lol

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 16, 2017, 09:15:46 PM
I already feel hang dog. Too many to mention. I have forgotten the worst ones, as I get nightmares still.
But away to Swindon Town in a League Cup replay in the 70s, losing 0 5, was humiliating, we were outclassed, outfought and outplayed.
Just like yesterday.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was an FA Cup Replay after a 3-3 draw at The Cottage.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 17, 2017, 06:28:49 AM
Fulham 0 Port Vale 6, didn't feel well coming down on the train,then watching that debacle shaking and sweating and spluttering.
Was in bed with the flu for 2 weeks not a cold as all call that the flu now...Couldn't move eat anything severe temperature.

Likewise for me. An absolute shambles of Magarth proportions!

Sir Alec of good Stock

Worst away defeat was 0-7 at Chester when the story goes that the team was told that the match was cancelled, had a few drinks at the hotel and then were told that it was now going ahead. Old wives tale or the truth? Either way a long TBT trip back.
The next home game which I think was a 1-2 defeat to Port Vale, Ray Lexington was handed a tin of 7 Up by someone in the Putney End.

Holders

They don't have to be big defeats to hurt.

My biggest hurts: 0-1 vs. Preston when we just needed a draw to go up as champions; 0-2 vs. West Ham (you all know when); 1-2 against Atletico when we were heading for penalties.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Holders on July 17, 2017, 08:27:26 AM

My biggest hurts: 0-1 vs. Preston when we just needed a draw to go up as champions; 0-2 vs. West Ham (you all know when); 1-2 against Atletico when we were heading for penalties.

Ricky Heppolette has a lot to answer for!!

Woolly Mammoth

In fact I will go as far as to say, that this defeat was all your fault. Coming down to the Cottage spreading your germs. No wonder the players had an off day.
Come to think of it, I remember now, I went there full of the days of spring. Then almost immediately I went down with this strength sapening bug, and felt rough all week.
So now I know why, hmmm.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on July 17, 2017, 07:41:46 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 16, 2017, 09:15:46 PM
Just like yesterday.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was an FA Cup Replay after a 3-3 draw at The Cottage.

Do not apologise Sir Alec of good Stock.
Yes you are indeed correct, and well done.
That was yesterday's deliberate mistake to see how many were alert, and you have won first prize, congratulations, and a Gold Fish πŸ πŸŸπŸ‘πŸ¬πŸ¦ˆπŸ³πŸ‹ is on its way to you via Pony Express, or Is itΒ  Wells Fargo, no its Western Union, anyway please let me know when it arrives.
It generally gets fed 3 times a day after a rigorous swim, which normally consists of Breast Stroke, Back Stroke, Crawl & Butterfly, followed by a quick rub down with the Sporting Life.
By the way, if my superb memory serves me correctly, didn't Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best play in that match also ?

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on July 17, 2017, 09:11:27 AM
Quote from: Holders on July 17, 2017, 08:27:26 AM

Ricky Heppolette has a lot to answer for!!

I shall never forget it - a diving header at the Hammersmith end.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Ricky Heppolite scored that goal.....a real painful day.

092.gif

Lighthouse

A mate of mine wanted to come to a game and so we went to the match v Notts County. Lost 5-1 at home. Following season won 5-1 against them. But oddly enough my mate didn't want to come after the first time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 17, 2017, 10:08:48 AM
A mate of mine wanted to come to a game and so we went to the match v Notts County. Lost 5-1 at home. Following season won 5-1 against them. But oddly enough my mate didn't want to come after the first time.

Ws that the one when Peter Mellor was injured and Les Strong went in goal?

jarv

Two already mentioned. I am with Holders, the loss to Preston, soooo disappointing and then the 5-1 defeat by Notts county.Β  The great Bobby Moore had a nightmare game against Notts, probably the game that made his mind up to retire at the end of the season. Nobody was upset though, players like B Moore are often cut a lot of slack by supporters.

We were lucky that players like Best, Marsh, Mullery, Moore chose Fulham in the twilight of their careers.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on July 17, 2017, 12:17:41 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on July 17, 2017, 10:08:48 AM

Ws that the one when Peter Mellor was injured and Les Strong went in goal?

Yep, We were already 4 or 5 down by the time Mellor was injured. I wouldn't mind but I bought some lucky heather from a gypsy in the Underground.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2017, 02:08:16 PM

We were lucky that players like Best, Marsh, Mullery, Moore chose Fulham in the twilight of their careers.

We sure were. Marsh was a bit of a fleeting glimpse, but the others were full value and rarely disappointed.
It's sometimes overlooked that Moore, because he is so obviously not 'one of ours', made 150 appearances in our colours (124 league) - more than many established Fulham 'names'.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 17, 2017, 09:19:27 AM

In fact I will go as far as to say, that this defeat was all your fault. Coming down to the Cottage spreading your germs. No wonder the players had an off day.
Come to think of it, I remember now, I went there full of the days of spring. Then almost immediately I went down with this strength sapening bug, and felt rough all week.
So now I know why, hmmm.

That's me all over,I'm generous I'll give anybody anything.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 17, 2017, 04:10:37 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 17, 2017, 09:19:27 AM

So now I know why, hmmm.

That's me all over,I'm generous I'll give anybody anything.

That's what she said last night !

Never forget your Roots.