News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I don't understand why people take these warm up games so seriously!

Started by Andy S, July 17, 2017, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

These games are about fitness no more and no less. The score means nothing not to anyone it's not about any member of the squad it's about pushing yourself a bit more each game. Every player is wired up to make sure that they are doing enough but not too much. Tactics mean very little at this stage so calm down. I've read all the rubbish about we shouldn't be losing by 8 - 2 if it mattered  we would have been back in 6 weeks ago.

RaySmith

I agree- friendlies don't mean much, if anything.

These games that aren't even open to paying punters, are  just a run out for fitness building.

But I understand  the reaction on here, which  is  to do with anxieties about the forthcoming season, and investment in new players for certain positions..

therealjaybee

Well said. A Friendly is just a friendly. Yes it's a good to get a win but the purpose of these games are to try new things and experiment before the season starts. Can't take any of the results too seriously.

Marcel_Gecov

Basically as there's nothing else to talk about.

We sit around waiting for some form of FFC news like a crack addict to get our fix and then wait for the next one. Sessegnon! Cairney! Djalo! Cisse! Piazon! 8-2! Quick I need my next one!

Southcoastffc

While I understand the OP's viewpoint, I think that, if I were a professional footballer, even taking part in an in-house 5 a side game I'd be hugely embarrassed to be on the wrong end of that scoreline. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

So why play them? Why not play against a lower team for fitness. Chelsea hardly learned anything from it. We didn't except to say we still need the players we needed in January to improve plus any replacements. The score may not matter but the way we played or didn't play does. Did it help confidence? Did it really help fitness more than running around because that really is all we did chasing Chelsea players.

It matters if only to prove we are not close to be as good as we were last season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

This was the teams method of rekindling chelscum hatred. I'm crushing the Mein River heading for the Rhine with a nice Pilsner, reading Soccernomics. Not a care in the world. The lads will come good and we'll be beating the scum in league in 15 months or so. Time for another Pilsner!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

aaronmcguigan

I'm all for downplaying friendlies and palming it off as fitness /tactic building, but look at the video. No runs, poor positioning, no chasing, no care. It's not the result. What we saw were be highlights and that was grim as anything.

Better not to play a game which was optional if we don't even try or react. Pre season is about mindset as much as your body, and if we produce that mindset we will be destroyed.

Woolly Mammoth

The title to this thread should read, " I don't understand why people do not take these warm up games more seriously ".
Far too much acceptance of mediocrity, easily pleased. Which actually mirrors the attitude of the Three Amigos.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

If you want a thread with a topic like that woolly mammoth then write one! Fitness levels fall away very quickly and there is a lot more known about it now than 20 years ago. A players fitness is geared to an individules body now and that is why players return to the club much earlier than they used to as for why play a team like Chelsea? Who can answer that except somebody on the inside. I expect there was a very good reason and as long as we hit the floor running on the 5th August I won't complain

Woolly Mammoth

Now try telling me something I don't know Andy S, but apathy never won a coconut. 

Never forget your Roots.

ScalleysDad

Friendlies, training games, behind closed doors development games and 90 minute intensive session plans are all ultimately pointless if the manager, coaching team and indeed the players learn nothing from it. Yes fitness, the old match fitness versus cardio fitness thing is a separate topic, is essential but Motspur also serves that purpose. The match scenario at whatever level for a professional is to fine tune passing and movement off the ball, practice keeping possession and find ways and means to get the ball in the net. If we were as bad as reports indicate then we are well short of what is required for an outfit striving for top six and hitting the ground running in a couple of weeks. The signings all appear to be about bulking up the squad and like last year nobody can clearly determine the strongest starting eleven or a style of play we are going to adopt. If we end up trying to find answers to both over the first few games I fear we will not have the breaks and the odd fluke result to edge top six next year. For me 'we' have learned nothing from previous debacles but it is difficult to know who to point the finger at.

jarv

I used to like the old pre season friendlies, against the likes of Kilmarnock or Hibs. They were entertaining. We could gauge how good or how rubbish the Scottish teams were compared to the old division 1. After one of the matches we signed Joe Gilroy I think. Can't remember, was he any good or was he rubbish?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2017, 09:32:39 PM
I used to like the old pre season friendlies, against the likes of Kilmarnock or Hibs. They were entertaining. We could gauge how good or how rubbish the Scottish teams were compared to the old division 1. After one of the matches we signed Joe Gilroy I think. Can't remember, was he any good or was he rubbish?

Joe Gilroy, I remember the headlines in the newspapers, " Gilroy is here ". ( reference the saying Kilroy was here ).
He didn't make the Earth move, and he wasn't a prolific scorer, but he was ok I think.
Made 24 appearances and scored 8 goals, that's 1 in 3. Which is not a bad average.

Never forget your Roots.

Mitch

I agree, but only to an extent. As a second chance to personally see Djalo, I think it's very fair on these two showings to be concerned, to say the least. I can give players leeway for pre-season performances to an extent, but to see that from a player newly signed makes me worry about what we're signing and where we are going.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Mitch on July 18, 2017, 11:07:56 AM
I agree, but only to an extent. As a second chance to personally see Djalo, I think it's very fair on these two showings to be concerned, to say the least. I can give players leeway for pre-season performances to an extent, but to see that from a player newly signed makes me worry about what we're signing and where we are going.

Hanging onto to key players this season has already been applauded and in the past we have signed the occasional gem who has fitted in perfectly and become an asset/improvement on what we had. However we could quite easily field a team of 'the decidedly average' even over the last couple of years. People will comment on settling in, acclimatising, language barriers and home sickness but when you are bang average in the first place our coaching set up does not seem able to produce that little bit more. Our bang average signings have for the most part remained bang average. I would much prefer to see more in house movement with Academy/U21 players getting a chance ahead of European lower league offloads.

cmg

I've no objection to people taking these pre-season friendlies as seriously as they want or, as would be my preference, largely disregard the results.

But what does slightly irritate me is the in-depth pontificating, strategical analysis, player assassination, attitude disapproval and management appraisal that we are deluged with based solely on a five minute video clip edited by the opposition. Pretty grim viewing admittedly but hardly worth getting exercised bout.

Fulhamfan666

Regardless I'm looking forward to be back at the Cottage for the Wolfsburg game.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: cmg on July 18, 2017, 12:33:16 PM
I've no objection to people taking these pre-season friendlies as seriously as they want or, as would be my preference, largely disregard the results.

But what does slightly irritate me is the in-depth pontificating, strategical analysis, player assassination, attitude disapproval and management appraisal that we are deluged with based solely on a five minute video clip edited by the opposition. Pretty grim viewing admittedly but hardly worth getting exercised bout.

Can't seem to find an assassination or a deluge. The thread could have actually been quite interesting as a footballing topic had it gathered a bit of momentum.

Mince n Tatties