watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Dunkirk

Started by mrmicawbers, July 24, 2017, 08:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Required reading in school as a youngster.  But to my surprise, my wife didn't know about Dunkirk, the civilian evacuators risking all in fishing boats, pleasure boats, even a canoe!  My kids, in their 20s, same thing, never heard of Dunkirk.  What are they teaching kids in school nowadays?  24-26 miles from the island.  German jets diving on them.  Water cold.  I can't wait to see it.  I heard it's loud and relentless, like that Spielberg WWII movie with Hanks.  Will never forget that beach landing scene.  25 minutes  of men being cut down by pill boxes, mortars, long guns.  The land mines.   Heard the movie switches back and forth from the intimate personal stories to the big set pieces.  Doing extremely well at the box office in the States. 

WhiteJC

just got back from seeing this film

do yourself a favour...

GO AND SEE IT

Logicalman

The missus wants desperately to see this movie, the only thing holding me back is at a personal level, my dad was captured just prior to this, and what he went through during captivity was not good at all, some of those he was captured with didn't make it back, and his haunting diary accounts still play on my mind. There are so many others who went through the same, God rest their souls.

Having said all that, by all accounts this film will likely be in the same class as The Battle of Britain, as honest an account as possible, with leeway for the historical inaccuracies required to make the movie watchable.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

filham

Quote from: cottage expat on July 24, 2017, 06:45:54 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 24, 2017, 12:03:34 PM
The film  has generated some interesting debate. According to an article in The Times on Saturday it barely reflects the considerable French contribution to the episode. Also, contrary to popular understanding, the overwhelming majority of troops evacuated were taken by large naval ships, not by the famous little boats.

True the largest number of troops  were evacuated by large naval ships but while there were 220 large ships, there were 700 small boats (including ferries etc,.)
Am I wrong in thinking that some of the small boats were used to load up the big ships which could not get close to the beach.

millsy

That's exactly right but what a great effort for those small boat owners/skippers. Much easier to have stayed safe at home.

Deuce

Brilliant and beautiful film, as always with Noln. But this is unlike anything ive seen to be honest and if you have the chance then go see it at an IMAX theatre. You'll be on the edge of your seat for the next two hours.

Works really great as a low-key recruitment film to the armed forces as well I would say. That sort of heroism should never be forgotten.

westcliff white

Its a good film, but glosses over the French input to a large degree which is very unfortunate and takes away a little from the film.

I accept there will be embellishment, but think that is a little beyond that.

Anyway a good film as I say
Every day is a Fulham day

Deuce

Quote from: Logicalman on August 06, 2017, 04:48:29 PM
The missus wants desperately to see this movie, the only thing holding me back is at a personal level, my dad was captured just prior to this, and what he went through during captivity was not good at all, some of those he was captured with didn't make it back, and his haunting diary accounts still play on my mind. There are so many others who went through the same, God rest their souls.

Having said all that, by all accounts this film will likely be in the same class as The Battle of Britain, as honest an account as possible, with leeway for the historical inaccuracies required to make the movie watchable.
You're right. This really do show some of the less admirable sides of human nature. But also - the best sides of it. And I really feel that this movie was made with the highest of respect to the people who served and the civilians who volountered going across the channel. I imagine it will be very emotional for you, but I firmly believe that you wont be disappointed.

I must urge people to see this at a theatre, preferably an IMAX. I'd say 40% of the experience is lost by watching this on a dvd or streaming it in your laptop.

cookieg

Can anyone recommend a good book on Dunkirk? I have just finished a very interesting book on WW1 (Mud, Blood and Poppycock which looks to dispel some of the myths of WW1. Hard reading at first but very interesting) and am looking for a good book on Dunkirk. I have read reviews of various books but not sure which one/ones would be a better read. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Neil D

It is indeed an excellent film.  I did think that the role of the French was underplayed somewhat.  They, after all, formed the core of the defensive perimeter which allowed the evacuation to take place and 35,000 of this First French Army were taken prisoner, having run out of ammunition.

The part where Tom Hardy's out-of-fuel Spitfire shoots down a German bomber is a bit daft and he seems to have an inexhaustible amount of ammunition (a lot more than maximum 20 seconds worth of fire).

That said, it is very atmospheric and you really get an impression of what the event must have been like from the key perspectives of land, sea and air. 

Criticisms from some quarters that the film 'whitewashes' the role of Indian and Muslim troops also seem unwarranted.  There were probably no more than three companies of the Indian Service Corps present (maybe 600 troops out of 350,000).  I don't know how many, if any, French North African troops were present among the 100,000 French troops evacuated. 

MaidstoneMark69

Agree with you about the French, plenty of british were put into the defence too, my great uncle included who was a sergeant to Airey Neave who were both captured and put in a pow camp for the duration. Airey Neave wrote a book about it called flames over Calais. Haven't managed to get a copy yet,  but will and i'll be off to see this film too.

MJG

Quote from: MaidstoneMark69 on August 09, 2017, 04:55:51 PM
Agree with you about the French, plenty of british were put into the defence too, my great uncle included who was a sergeant to Airey Neave who were both captured and put in a pow camp for the duration. Airey Neave wrote a book about it called flames over Calais. Haven't managed to get a copy yet,  but will and i'll be off to see this film too .
There is a memorial on the breakwater at Calais which is dedicated to to those that lost their life defending Calais. The British Rifle brigade lost quite a few there.
My grandfather (97 and still kicking) and I have gone over Calais a few times and attended a lunch the mayor throws every May to honour the part the British took in defending Calais and as such give more time to the guys at Dunkirk.
Just the views of a long term fan