watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR....bankers on trial

Started by jarv, July 17, 2017, 02:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Finally, 4 senior members of Barclays to go on trial, conspiracy to commit fraud. We can all hope they get their come uppance.  092.gif

GloucesterWhite

:046:

This is a football forum.

General

None of the real perpetrators will be thrown in jail... those who are being so are just scapegoats given free reign and misleading info on what they should do.

Woolly Mammoth

I thought for a moment that we had a prospective new player called Bankers having a trial.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Let's be nice about it, eh?

Close season and all that, we let a few NFA posts get on here - and the guy even put it in the title, so if you don't want to read it, why bother to take the time to comment at all, eh?

Lets move on .......
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Equalizer

I met Tom Kalaris several times when I worked at Barclays Capital. He was a tosser, and I hope he goes down.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

bobbo

Quote from: Logicalman on July 17, 2017, 06:10:03 PM
Let's be nice about it, eh?

Close season and all that, we let a few NFA posts get on here - and the guy even put it in the title, so if you don't want to read it, why bother to take the time to comment at all, eh?

Lets move on .......
well done my thoughts precisely but it's better coming from a mod.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

The Old Count

There is no difference between robbing a bank and owning one

bog

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2017, 02:14:44 PM
Finally, 4 senior members of Barclays to go on trial, conspiracy to commit fraud. We can all hope they get their come uppance.  092.gif

:plus one:

jarv

Sorry. I did not mean to start anything. It is summer, I read the news and it made me smile plus the fact that a very good friend of mine lost her house and the 30,000 she put into it. So, I just felt like sharing the news. I will leave my personal thoughts at the door.  Come on Fulham. A good mate of mine supports Norwich, I am getting tense already and if I was loaded would fly in for that one.

SG

What happened to innocent until proven guilty

Lighthouse

The real truth is, unlike Iceland who punished their bankers for fraud. We have let them all get away with it. This latest Barclays scandal is really not even close to being that important in the scandal that was and is our financial system.

We only have to look at how the banks have recovered while the public suffer through poor interest rates. Don't believe the lie that low interest rates are good for the economy because they are not. The prices of utilities, insurance etc have gone up so much and so quickly that any loan you decided to take out for mortgages or whatever was probably spent on other expenses. We have been conned. As usual.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MrD1879

Low interest rates are good for inflation. The savings rates are at an all time low but so are borrowing rates. The funny thing is the Barclays guys are being sent to trial for rigging libor to infact make rates lower for the wholesale market.
So much hysteria and poor journalism by mostly the red tops drives this kind of thread. Laughable really

Lighthouse

Quote from: MrD1879 on July 17, 2017, 10:47:12 PM
Low interest rates are good for inflation. The savings rates are at an all time low but so are borrowing rates. The funny thing is the Barclays guys are being sent to trial for rigging libor to infact make rates lower for the wholesale market.
So much hysteria and poor journalism by mostly the red tops drives this kind of thread. Laughable really

There is the con. Why do you think they are being done for keeping the interest rates artificially low? If inflation is low. What exactly makes your weekly shop, utility bills, rates, fuel, insurance climb with some adding hundreds onto the bill. It is a con and with interest rates so low. Savings are being spent and guess what happens next? Increase borrowing and more business for the banks after their bad press. Simple con but it worked.

Logicalman

Quote from: SG on July 17, 2017, 10:13:16 PM

I think it went the same way as one law for some and one law for the rest of us law-abiding citizens!  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

love4ffc

Quote from: Logicalman on July 18, 2017, 08:26:03 PM
Quote from: SG on July 17, 2017, 10:13:16 PM

I think it went the same way as one law for some and one law for the rest of us law-abiding citizens!  :005:
Actually, I think it went away with today's ever changing always up to date news coverage... fp.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Logicalman

Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2017, 01:03:24 AM
Firstly this is nothing to do with LIBOR. What Barclays are alleged to have done here is provide "financial assistance" to the Qataris when they bailed Barclays out by taking a stake in the bank in 2008. In other words they used their other shareholders' money to assist the Qataris, which is unlawful because it dilutes the existing shareholders. I don't know the intricacies of it beyond that.

Seocndly LIBOR is not the same as the Bank of England base rate, which the BoE uses to control inflation, quite legitmately, in the best interests of the state and the public. A small amount of inflation is good for the economy, which is why the BoE has targeted 2%. For most of the last few years it's been below that level, i.e., unhealthily low. 

Thirdly when Barclays did manipulate LIBOR it was manipulated in both directions. It was manipulated downward to make the bank's overall financial position seem better. Separately, traders manipulated it both up and down to improve their own positions in products that referenced LIBOR.

Other than that I agree with MrD1879. Hysteria and poor journalism and, evidently from this thread, a lack of understanding generally.

I agree with what you've said there, though I seem to recall the issue behind the Qatar was one of receiving payments for the bailout, with a quid-pro-quo loan from the bank back to those who had gifted the bail out money by way of a loan, thus they used the bailout money to make the loan back, which, from what I (admittedly in a very limited manner) understand is considered a fraud within the terms of the law governing such transactions.  This is just the gist of what I understand from reading different articles on the subject, as my personal knowledge of fraud in these circumstances is as limited as the finding of rocking-horse poop on the Queens highway!

peaty

Quote from: Logicalman on July 18, 2017, 08:32:53 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 18, 2017, 01:03:24 AM
Firstly this is nothing to do with LIBOR. What Barclays are alleged to have done here is provide "financial assistance" to the Qataris when they bailed Barclays out by taking a stake in the bank in 2008. In other words they used their other shareholders' money to assist the Qataris, which is unlawful because it dilutes the existing shareholders. I don't know the intricacies of it beyond that.

Seocndly LIBOR is not the same as the Bank of England base rate, which the BoE uses to control inflation, quite legitmately, in the best interests of the state and the public. A small amount of inflation is good for the economy, which is why the BoE has targeted 2%. For most of the last few years it's been below that level, i.e., unhealthily low. 

Thirdly when Barclays did manipulate LIBOR it was manipulated in both directions. It was manipulated downward to make the bank's overall financial position seem better. Separately, traders manipulated it both up and down to improve their own positions in products that referenced LIBOR.

Other than that I agree with MrD1879. Hysteria and poor journalism and, evidently from this thread, a lack of understanding generally.

I agree with what you've said there, though I seem to recall the issue behind the Qatar was one of receiving payments for the bailout, with a quid-pro-quo loan from the bank back to those who had gifted the bail out money by way of a loan, thus they used the bailout money to make the loan back, which, from what I (admittedly in a very limited manner) understand is considered a fraud within the terms of the law governing such transactions.  This is just the gist of what I understand from reading different articles on the subject, as my personal knowledge of fraud in these circumstances is as limited as the finding of rocking-horse poop on the Queens highway!

No need for rocking horse poop modesty, Mr Logicalman. Your analysis of the allegation is correct. On the stock market, what Barclays is alleged to have done is very, very naughty.

Holders

As I understand it, the problem had its roots in over-lending in the US ("sub-prime") and the removal of the BoE's regulatory role as one of the first acts of a former Chancellor ("no more boom and bust"). The bankers took advantage of the environment created by governments and the lack of adequate regulation, it's the way they're made.

Apparently, the Qatari deal was technically against the rules but was primarily intended to be in Barclays' best interests and - as some have pointed out - in passing saved the taxpayer money but that was not the objective.

The real villain of the piece (in the UK anyway) was that inept Chancellor.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

We are no far from entering another disaster. As I have said the borrowing spree and higher bills will eventually return us to the disaster of a few years ago. Moving on from why a few banker from Barclays have been picked out while the the real conspiracy is still with us. Although not in the same sphere as the housing loan collapse. We are close to a debt bubble burst with subprime car loans.