Author Topic: NFR....bankers on trial  (Read 1669 times)

Offline jarv

• Gentleman Jim
NFR....bankers on trial
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
Finally, 4 senior members of Barclays to go on trial, conspiracy to commit fraud. We can all hope they get their come uppance.  092.gif

Offline GloucesterWhite

• Graham Leggat
Re: NFR....bankers on trial
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
 :046:

This is a football forum.
Behind every successful man is a surprised woman

Offline General

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
None of the real perpetrators will be thrown in jail... those who are being so are just scapegoats given free reign and misleading info on what they should do.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
I thought for a moment that we had a prospective new player called Bankers having a trial.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline Logicalman

• Global Moderator
  • cebu
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
Let's be nice about it, eh?

Close season and all that, we let a few NFA posts get on here - and the guy even put it in the title, so if you don't want to read it, why bother to take the time to comment at all, eh?

Lets move on .......
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Offline Statto

• cebu
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Deleted my impolite reply, sorry.

OP is misguided IMO. Personally I don't agree with the fundamental idea that the whole banking industry should get some sort of "come uppance" for the financial crisis but that's another debate for another day. Whatever your general views, with regard to this specific case Barclays was one of the banks that didn't have to go cap in hand to the taxpayer and the alleged fraud didn't affect the public here. With all due respect I'm willing to bet hardly any of the people reading this would even understand it (and that's not me saying i'm one of those who do). None of the reports I've seen in that national press have even tried to explain it properly, even the broadsheets.

Also political NFR posts like this cause more trouble than they're worth (IMHO only)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:35:17 PM by Statto »

Offline The Equalizer

• Gentleman Jim
  • "Blondie! You filthy son of a b...ayayayayaaaa"
    • Follow my blog: EqualizerAtLarge
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
I met Tom Kalaris several times when I worked at Barclays Capital. He was a tosser, and I hope he goes down.
"We won’t look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Offline bobbo

• Legend
  • bobbo
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
Let's be nice about it, eh?

Close season and all that, we let a few NFA posts get on here - and the guy even put it in the title, so if you don't want to read it, why bother to take the time to comment at all, eh?

Lets move on .......
well done my thoughts precisely but it's better coming from a mod.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Offline The Old Count

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
There is no difference between robbing a bank and owning one

Offline bog

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
Finally, 4 senior members of Barclays to go on trial, conspiracy to commit fraud. We can all hope they get their come uppance.  092.gif

:plus one:

Offline jarv

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
Sorry. I did not mean to start anything. It is summer, I read the news and it made me smile plus the fact that a very good friend of mine lost her house and the 30,000 she put into it. So, I just felt like sharing the news. I will leave my personal thoughts at the door.  Come on Fulham. A good mate of mine supports Norwich, I am getting tense already and if I was loaded would fly in for that one.

Offline SG

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
What happened to innocent until proven guilty

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
The real truth is, unlike Iceland who punished their bankers for fraud. We have let them all get away with it. This latest Barclays scandal is really not even close to being that important in the scandal that was and is our financial system.

We only have to look at how the banks have recovered while the public suffer through poor interest rates. Don't believe the lie that low interest rates are good for the economy because they are not. The prices of utilities, insurance etc have gone up so much and so quickly that any loan you decided to take out for mortgages or whatever was probably spent on other expenses. We have been conned. As usual.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Offline MrD1879

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
Low interest rates are good for inflation. The savings rates are at an all time low but so are borrowing rates. The funny thing is the Barclays guys are being sent to trial for rigging libor to infact make rates lower for the wholesale market.
So much hysteria and poor journalism by mostly the red tops drives this kind of thread. Laughable really

Offline Lighthouse

• Moritz Volz
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 12:14:24 AM »
Low interest rates are good for inflation. The savings rates are at an all time low but so are borrowing rates. The funny thing is the Barclays guys are being sent to trial for rigging libor to infact make rates lower for the wholesale market.
So much hysteria and poor journalism by mostly the red tops drives this kind of thread. Laughable really

There is the con. Why do you think they are being done for keeping the interest rates artificially low? If inflation is low. What exactly makes your weekly shop, utility bills, rates, fuel, insurance climb with some adding hundreds onto the bill. It is a con and with interest rates so low. Savings are being spent and guess what happens next? Increase borrowing and more business for the banks after their bad press. Simple con but it worked.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope