watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Cricket

Started by ToodlesMcToot, July 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I've just read in my home town (Atlanta, Georgia) paper that our city has been chosen for a new Cricket stadium and new professional team (T20) to occupy it. I have not seen when this will occur. So, I'm assuming that I have at least a year or so to learn something about the sport that I've always been curious about and have never taken the time to understand.

Anyone know of a good place to start learning? Also, what is T20? And, does that designation mean a different or modified set of rules?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

It's played to a different set of rules and not proper cricket - more like rounders. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on July 17, 2017, 03:12:13 PM
It's played to a different set of rules and not proper cricket - more like rounders. 

Rounders is what Baseball is.
T20 is more skilful from the bowling and batting and fielding perspective, as well as the pitch. Test Cricket is the best form of Cricket. Willow against Leather, and taking in the type of pitch also, as well as the weather conditions. 
With T20 you still need a brain. With Baseball all you need is some chewing gum, and a load of hype.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Test cricket is chess on grass, one-day stuff is just a slogfest played in pyjamas.

Holders

Woolly Mammoth

Do people still wear Pyjamas ?

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

I've backed Hampshire to win the T20...3 wins out of 3 so far.

bobbo

Sore point today. Just been whopped by the south africans
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 17, 2017, 04:15:01 PM
I've backed Hampster to win the T20...3 wins out of 3 so far.

Why would you back a Hampster ?

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on July 17, 2017, 04:27:03 PM
Sore point today. Just been whopped by the south africans

Yes indeed, need to sort out the batting up the order. 🏏

Never forget your Roots.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 17, 2017, 04:28:00 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 17, 2017, 04:15:01 PM
I've backed Hampster to win the T20...3 wins out of 3 so far.

Why would you back a Hampster ?

Just because pachyderms are fearful of furry rodents is no reason to not support Hamsters.

ToodlesMcToot

Thank you for the replies and the link. I've got an excuse to try and understand, at least partially, this sport.

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 17, 2017, 05:33:12 PM
Thank you for the replies and the link. I've got an excuse to try and understand, at least partially, this sport.

Seriously, there are other explanations on youtube. I think you have to watch a close quality match to really appreciate the nuances. Try England vs. Australia at Headingly 1981. They don't come any better.

I played village cricket and I'd know better than to park my Morris Traveller just over the mid-off boundary!

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Good post. Comments had me chuckling. I needed cheering up today, a lot of bills came in this morning.

love4ffc

Toodles - this is news to me and very intersting.  I don't know anything about cricket but I do know some of the local high schools have cricket clubs.  I see the game being played more and more in the local parks also. 

We'll be interesting to see how it gets on here in the South. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Holders

Apparently, cricket is the second most played and watched game in the world, after football.

I thought about football, and I think the same about cricket, that if the USA adopted the game seriously they would do very well, with the population and resources they have. They'd have to divert from the two games that no-one else plays first, though!

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM
I've just read in my home town (Atlanta, Georgia) paper that our city has been chosen for a new Cricket stadium and new professional team (T20) to occupy it. I have not seen when this will occur. So, I'm assuming that I have at least a year or so to learn something about the sport that I've always been curious about and have never taken the time to understand.

Anyone know of a good place to start learning? Also, what is T20? And, does that designation mean a different or modified set of rules?

Curious to know why Georgia of all places will be hosting cricket. Do you have a lot of Caribbean ex pats there, or maybe a large Indian community?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: love4ffc on July 17, 2017, 06:22:29 PM
Toodles - this is news to me and very intersting.  I don't know anything about cricket but I do know some of the local high schools have cricket clubs.  I see the game being played more and more in the local parks also. 

We'll be interesting to see how it gets on here in the South.

Here you go Mr. Love4ffc.  http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/07/17/heads-up-professional-cricket-is-coming-to-atlanta/    Odd location in the AJC but, still there all the same.

I'll be going to check it out to be sure. And, it should be well supported, I'd imagine. Atlanta has a strong West Indian community as well as a strong Indian community. Appears there could be a new stadium to go along with the team. Very interesting idea even with the little information provided by the article.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 17, 2017, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM

Curious to know why Georgia of all places will be hosting cricket. Do you have a lot of Caribbean ex pats there, or maybe a large Indian community?

Read somewhere that Atlanta's West Indian community had grown well over 300% (fastest in The US) in early 2000's which was 8 times the growth of NYC. I doubt that kind of growth has continued but I see no reason why general growth would not. There is also a strong Indian community in Atlanta. I have no idea how large the average Club Cricket stadium is but I'd imagine Atlanta could support a club team with knowledgeable supporters and probably be able to convert some who are just curious. Marketed well, it could become another "hip" sport to support....like Atlanta United (local football/soccer club) has become this year.