watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Cricket

Started by ToodlesMcToot, July 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonaldiniho 88

Cricket is an amazing game. I've played and it's such a strange combination of team sport, whilst being so solitary. I'm youngish but prefer test cricket to the rest by some way. It's all enjoyable and a statistician's dream. Nothing like day five, evening session, and all results still possible. This happens more regularly in the shorter forms of the game but when it takes five days to prove there is nothing between two teams it really lives up to the "test" label it has.

Holders

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 17, 2017, 07:52:00 PM
Cricket is an amazing game. I've played and it's such a strange combination of team sport, whilst being so solitary. I'm youngish but prefer test cricket to the rest by some way. It's all enjoyable and a statistician's dream. Nothing like day five, evening session, and all results still possible. This happens more regularly in the shorter forms of the game but when it takes five days to prove there is nothing between two teams it really lives up to the "test" label it has.

There's not just two sides in it, though, the changing nature of the pitch over 3/5 days, and even by the hour, plays a big part as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jem

Quote from: Holders on July 17, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Test cricket is chess on grass, one-day stuff is just a slogfest played in pyjamas.
Succinctly put old chap.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

bobbo

me too nothing like the 5 day test, I'm gonna be at the last ashes test in Sydney in December if the aussies sort out their pay deal.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Holders on July 17, 2017, 08:05:46 PM

There's not just two sides in it, though, the changing nature of the pitch over 3/5 days, and even by the hour, plays a big part as well.

That I missed out. Another amazing aspect of test cricket. A first day wicket with clouds overhead makes a captain opt to bowl first. The opening batsman score no runs but take the lacker off the ball and then it turns into a road and in those two hours for 50-60 runs the game can be won or lost. A spitting spinning wicket or up and down bounce just makes it all the more interesting. Having played to a thirds level I can tell you the pitch can often be the game. Good length hits you in the face or short rolls into the stumps makes you realise quality bowling on a mine field must be impossible. You would never get that in odi or t20 (unless it's England in the champions trophy). Joke! We should have played that wicket better.

keith

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM
I've just read in my home town (Atlanta, Georgia) paper that our city has been chosen for a new Cricket stadium and new professional team (T20) to occupy it. I have not seen when this will occur. So, I'm assuming that I have at least a year or so to learn something about the sport that I've always been curious about and have never taken the time to understand.

Anyone know of a good place to start learning? Also, what is T20? And, does that designation mean a different or modified set of rules?
whatever you do. Don't try to copy Keaton Jennings or Gary Balance.

Jonaldiniho 88