News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How do you make The Championship a level playing field ?

Started by Riversider, July 17, 2017, 03:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

The relegated teams from The Premier League come down now with in excess of £60 million pounds each, making it almost impossible for the rest to compete,
Their seems to be a very clear blue print for success, keep 90% of your squad and then add to it significantly to make yourself stronger than the season before,
Burnley and Newcastle did it and now Middlesbrough are doing the same,
Boro have already signed Braithwaite and now they are breaking their own transfer record to sign Britt Assombalonga,
Surely changes have to be made to FFP so that the rest of us can compete,
Seems strange that Gibson wouldn't spend any money whilest they were in The Premier League but now spends £25 million with them out of it,
Looks like one promotion place has already been filled.
Fulham in a way tried the same formula with the signing of McCormack, but unfortunately sold far to many players in a fire sale,
Got a feeling that this season is going to be fascinating with so many teams battling for what may prove to be only one realistic automatic spot.

westcliff white

Initially the parachute payments were meant to cover expenses such as wages so you can adjust to life back where there is lower income, however in reality that hasnt happened as people use it to find transfers.

If they tightened that up then it would be come more level to a degree.

CLubs should submit the wage beal and expenses, if any play leaves prior to the season starting then the money is adjused to take into account those wages that are no longer paid. The arguement that you need to pay the same is rubbish as you should be cutting your cloth accordingly.
Every day is a Fulham day

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: westcliff white on July 17, 2017, 03:19:04 PM
Initially the parachute payments were meant to cover expenses such as wages so you can adjust to life back where there is lower income, however in reality that hasnt happened as people use it to find transfers.

If they tightened that up then it would be come more level to a degree.

CLubs should submit the wage beal and expenses, if any play leaves prior to the season starting then the money is adjused to take into account those wages that are no longer paid. The arguement that you need to pay the same is rubbish as you should be cutting your cloth accordingly.

I agree with your analysis, it makes a lot of sense.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

We needed a clear out and the books balanced. These other clubs are/were in a different position all together.

Huddersfield's RECORD signing I read before promotion was £1.8m. They were able to do it. Southampton had more structure and a good academy, players like Lallana etc. were no one when they were promoted.

If you have the right people/structure in place, it is possible, but I don't envy the job, and £60m doesn't hurt.

Jonaldiniho 88

I believe you get more money for every game that is televised. This is ridiculous. It's usually the bigger clubs i.e. Villa, Leeds etc... that get the most coverage. They also get the most on the gate due to support base. I'm not overly bothered that we are barely ever on, at least for the sake of this argument I'm not ;) but all the teams should have an equal share of the tv rights. It's not like we chose not to be televised so shouldn't suffer. Parachute payments are a different kettle of fish and it's ridiculously unfair. I believe it should be mandatory to have relegation clauses in every contract in every leak. You adjust the rules and there will be a way to abuse them. Ensure the clause is there and dramatically reduce to payments and it will even things up.  Also with clubs flouting ffp, this needs to be a legally watertight contract. Then get all the teams to sign it. I'm not happy at qphaha but I'm almost at the point (if not already) where we just say draw a line under it and start again. The years it has dragged on has completely undermined the whole system. Points deductions work a lot better than fines as these owners are not strapped for cash.

HatterDon

the thing is, three clubs were relegated and only one of them went back up at the first asking

I don't see a problem with the system as it exists now
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

aaronmcguigan

The fun comes when the parachute payments incentivise the relegated clubs to invest heavily to return to the premier league. When they don't , for example Blackburn a few years ago, they are left with high earners on big contracts, and then the second year after promotion becomes even more vital, and desperation creeps in ( like Villa splurging on Terry) depending on steady and sensible management which is where we lost out..

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Statto on July 17, 2017, 06:33:52 PM
I think it's a lot more complicated than people are making out.

As Westcliff says, you only have to go back a few years ago and clubs like us (who breached FFP in our first season down, remember) were arguing that the parachute payements weren't enough to cover the premiership wage bill you bring down with you, which will probably be double your revenue once the premiership TV money is taken out the equation.

I also keep hearing that the clubs coming down get £100m just for finishing 20th. That's true, but they'll likely have spent most of that at the start of the last season to upgrade their team, like Huddersfield are doing now, so when they get relegated they don't come down with that money burning a hole in their pocket.

Also just to clarify the actual net spend of the teams mentioned (Transfermarkt figures)...

Burnley 2015/16 ... £4m
Newcastle 2016/17 ... -£31m (yes a £31m profit!)
Middlesborough 2017/18 (so far) ... £0

Also in the championship every club gets a solidarity payment (share of the premiership TV money) which is £6m, irrespective of where you finish. The money from TV games on top of that is probably barely £500k per game, so much less than the basic amount however much you're on TV.

I don't necessarily disgree with the OP but I think we need more time and information to understand the real story.

The problem is the huge difference in player prices between the Championship and Premier League, despite ridiculous Championship prices these days. Newcastle were trash when they got relegated but had a bunch of talented individuals that fetched ridiculous prices. That means that when they went down they could sell all their crap for millions upon millions, meaning that they could then re-spend that in buying the league. That cycle will continue to happen. Go up, buy a bunch of expensive players with increased revenue/no real spending cap, get relegated, sell, buy championship and repeat.

Realistically we shouldn't be able to compete this season, but that's the same as last season. If we pull our finger out then I trust Joka to guide us to the top but I really think it is an unfair system.

Wolves, Villa and Boro may be very hard to compete with this season. I wish Khan just said sod to FFP and got us back while we still can.