News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What did you think of Joey Barton as a player ?

Started by Riversider, July 18, 2017, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Personally I couldn't stand him, but his updated book "no nonsense " was available on Amazon for £3.85 with free delivery , so I bought it as I was interested to read what he had to say about QPHa and Glasgow Rangers,
When you read it you understand why QPR don't have a pot to pee in now, Barton signed a 4 year contract at £76,000 a week, a figure that he himself found unbelievable, but that's not all , he was also given a £6million pound signing on fee !!!
Add it all together and that comes to £21.9 million as a package !
And that's all without a transfer fee, if there was one.
What were QPHa thinking of ?
Next time a QPHa fan at work is moaning about their lack of signings point out the deal for Barton and ask them "is it any wonder ?"

aaronmcguigan

When he signed for them, and for Rangers, I couldn't think of a player and clubs that matched each other perfectly, so sure of the problems, financial implosion and inevitable downfall to come.

Didn't realise the figures involved , but nobody would begrudge Joey for taking the money, shame he gave it all to the bookies.
I think he was a decent enough player but must have been such a disruptive influence for any manager to deal with. On ALOTO, on sky one , he revealed he offered to fight Mark Hughes to sort out their differences

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3927926/Joey-Barton-admits-challenged-former-QPR-boss-Mark-Hughes-fight-office.html

ToodlesMcToot

Think he had an opportunity to make a real name for himself as a player but, couldn't help making a name for himself as a jerk. And, ultimately, the jerk destroyed the career arc of the player.

Shame he couldn't control himself.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Flume

A very complicated character indeed. Good, if not decent player whose career was ultimately ended by his actions on and off the pitch.
In Slav we trust

cmg

Desperate waste of talent.
A good, might have been top class, player who, wherever he went, brought mayhem with him.
Sadly inevitable in many ways;he isn't even the most despicable person in his family.

ToodlesMcToot

Feel there will be similar threads about Balotelli as well. Oozes talent at times but seemingly can't help setting his own career back at regular intervals.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Carborundum

Well, every time I have watched he struck me as someone who made the most of relatively limited talent.  Never seen him do anything breathtaking, but he did a lot of basic things rather well.  The night we bossed Burnley and lost 3-2 was one of his best performances - relentless harrying and game management.  Yes he's blotted his copybook from time to time - trying to get Aguero or Kompany sent off by lashing out after he was already sent off was the pits really, but he's played hundreds of games and played many of them soundly enough.