https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

brian poole and the tremeloes

Started by nose, July 17, 2017, 09:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

my favourite song of theirs was
silence is golden
I mentioned that in january and I am beginning to think it is very apt now.

jarv

Silence is golden...4 seasons wasn't it. I read something about Brian Poole the other day. What is he doing now?

cmg

They were the group that Decca preferred to sign instead of the Beatles.

A decision that makes the Mitroglou signing look inspired.

Dick Rowe's famous comment, "Guitar groups are on the way out."

Dr Know

Quote from: nose on July 17, 2017, 09:13:19 PM
silence is golden
Was it not just the tremeloes that recorded it , brian poole had left the group .

nose

I stand corrected... it was indeed the tremeloes MINUS brian poole
however the comment stands!

nose

Quote from: jarv on July 17, 2017, 09:34:11 PM
Silence is golden...4 seasons wasn't it. I read something about Brian Poole the other day. What is he doing now?

he is on in whotby in september if you are interested. i am going to give it a miss.

Sir Alec of good Stock

My favourite song by the Tremeloes sums up supporting FFC "Even the bad times are good"

bobbo

Brian Poole was on ken Bruce show radio 2 last week playing tracksofmy years. I saw him and the tremeloes many times in the early 60's they alternated every other week at burton dance hall in Uxbridge with cliff Bennett and the rebel rousers (by far the better band). I must say he sounded very shaky. And yes silence is golden definately just the tremeloes lead by chip hawkes.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

HatterDon

Pool was like Wayne Fontana -- thought he was bigger than the band and walked into obscurity just as his old band got its biggest hit.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Andy S

Frankie Vali also recorded a version of"silence is golden"

RaySmith

Remember those hits well.

Amazing to think that  BP and the Tremolos competed with The Beatles, both recording versions of the Beatles 'Twist and Shout'. The Tremolos might  have even got higher in the charts with it.

At that time  they were both on an equal footing, you could say - two young Beat groups, just starting out - a new wave, very popular with young people.

And they're still going -I see on YouTube.

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

bog

I think Brian Poole went back to being a butcher. This may be an age memory thing though....

092.gif

westcliff white

Quote from: bog on July 18, 2017, 08:24:05 AM
I think Brian Poole went back to being a butcher. This may be an age memory thing though....

092.gif
He did yes
Every day is a Fulham day

bog

I think the drummer with The Animals, (John Steele?) he did likewise as Brian Poole. A couple of East 17 went back to roofing when things went off.

092.gif

jarv

Brilliant. I love these sort of where are they now posts, footballers, band members and celebrities etc.  :005:

alfie

Quote from: nose on July 17, 2017, 09:13:19 PM
silence is golden
Memories of my yoof, my dad used to manage a garage in Ilford and they used to store their van and equipment there, real nice bunch of blokes, Alan Blakey used to appear in a whopping big sports car and he let me sit in it, but only if I cleaned it.
Never met Brian Poole though he was never with them.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Tonywa

Quote from: cmg on July 17, 2017, 09:47:22 PM
They were the group that Decca preferred to sign instead of the Beatles.

A decision that makes the Mitroglou signing look inspired.

Dick Rowe's famous comment, "Guitar groups are on the way out."

Used to work with Dick Rowe later in his life.  A lovely man, but that remark haunted him for the rest of his career.

Tonywa

Quote from: westcliff white on July 18, 2017, 08:26:37 AM
Quote from: bog on July 18, 2017, 08:24:05 AM

092.gif
He did yes

Met Brian on several occasions in the early 'eighties when I was at Decca and was putting together some complains of his recordings.  Really nice, down to earth guy. Was definitely back being a butcher at that stage.

Grumpy Worthing White

I`m so old I can remember The Tremeloes singing that number on Top of the Pops. 092.gif  092.gif  092.gif