watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So what's Fulham's plan?

Started by Wearethewhites, July 28, 2017, 09:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

It's obvious that we're not going to spend anywhere as big as Boro, however, what is Fulham's plan in the transfer window to compete with teams like this?

Have to say, I'm impressed with Boro's front line, has come at the cost of 30M, but, don't think anyone can say it won't be effective. They will all score for fun..

So, as it stands, we're just a week away from the first game of the season, and, the only forward we have, is Woodrow ( Kamara will join tomorrow ).

At this stage, I'd have thought we'd may have shown a bit more 'clout' and although I'm happy with the loans we've made, we will again, be short come the start of the season.

Deeping_white

Worth pointing out that Boro paid 7m for a player who's only ever scored in League 1, not something I'd be overly please about us doing to be honest. Assombalonga is also only any good if his glass knees dont bust, and Braithwaite is a risk as well (he had the worst conversion rate in Ligue 1 last season). Could work or they could do a Villa - up to you to decide if that's a risk worth taking I guess.

The Old Count

We're not going to spend as big as 'Boro, Wolves,  Derby, Villa and quite a few others. We're restrained by FFP. No one else seems to be.

RaySmith

Quote from: The Old Count on July 28, 2017, 09:49:18 PM
We're not going to spend as big as 'Boro, Wolves,  Derby, Villa and quite a few others. We're restrained by FFP. No one else seems to be.
Is it because of the size of our crowds, and thus overall income?
I don't know, just wondering. MJG seemed to be  the only person who understood the complexities of FFP.

The Old Count

Quote from: RaySmith on July 29, 2017, 04:22:35 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on July 28, 2017, 09:49:18 PM
Is it because of the size of our crowds, and thus overall income?
I don't know, just wondering. MJG seemed to be  the only person who understood the complexities of FFP.
I think it's more to do with willingness to be creative within the interpretation of the rules as well taking a gamble on success and factoring in the cost of non success ie. fine, transfer embargo etc.
I think Mr Al Fayed would have found a way to 'maximise possibilities' within the FFP constraints.  Mr Khan seems to prefer the more transparent cautious approach.

Baszab

It's pretty obvious how much plans and "ambition" the current regime has by viewing the best manager in the Championship trying to get promotion with one forward last season, an arrogant Norfolk hard-nut overweight boozer on loan..... with the promises of £200 million in PL riches actually within touching distance.

We will just have to carry on as suckers supporting our beloved FFC and hoping that SJ can perform miracles before he gets disillusioned.

A lot of people inside the profession just can not understand why FFC are not pushing on with their squad building

Roberty

I some respects they did what we did when we came down - buying Ross did not work for us although we did get our money back

As for scoring for fun - I really don't think that is going to happen - I doubt they can play them all in the same team

It will need players who are going to give them service for that to happen and as with last season - I don't think they have them
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Woolly Mammoth

I don't think comparing what we aledgedly spend to what other clubs spend helps Fulham's cause.
It's what Fulham spend is what counts, and to a certain extent you get what you pay for. Fulham cannot keep shopping at the pound shop all the time.
Occasionally you may have to spend a little more to get what you want. Which with vision and foresight, that extra million invested could turn into over £100million, if we went up on the strength of it.
Let me confirm I am not advocating being reckless, you only have to look at QPR, Portsmouth to know that. But you have to be cute, streetwise and assertive.
Fortune favours the brave overall, history is full of people and incidents who due to dithering, either lost their jobs, lost their opportunity and lost any chance of success, or lost all three, due to dithering, hesitating, lack of experience, lack of courage, lack of  knowledge and a flawed transfer policy.
That is Fulhams Achilles heal. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

"I don't think anyone can say it won't be effective "

Assombalongas hitrate in this league is no better than Chris Martin, and we were crying out for someone better.
Braithwaite I haven't a clue but goals for Denamrk is like 1 in 16
I don't see how anyone can call Fletcher effective, zero goals in two top divisions. Only ever scored a handful in league 1
Bamford and Gestede both had 1 great season, other than that it's been stop start, in and out of teams and nothing will change here.

These are 5 strikers who will thrive on confidence , faith and consistency, and all 5 won't get what they want . At least 2 of them will be ignored, some will get annoyed, cause a stir or get the bump at being left out. I can see why they have been signed and obviously they're better than our strike force of Cauley... but it's nothing special. Every other team will be treating them as exactly what they are: overpaid premier league rejects and obviously they'll be the target for most teams to cause an upset.

Finally that team with its egos and all the silly money being involved needs a strong calm manager who won't buckle under pressure. Instead they have Garry "seventh" Monk

SG

Wouldn't be surprised if Boro ship one or two of their forwards out before end of Aug. As you say cannot play all 5 at once. Boro have the larger parachute income so they are operating at a different level to most clubs. Hull & Sunderland appear to be basket cases
Derby have lost their 2 best players so they are only spending money taken in much the same as we did with McCormack.
As always i will reserve judgment on our dealings until the window shuts. Clearly it is better that players are in before games start but it is never that easy otherwise all the clubs would have their business complete by now and there would be no dealings after Aug 5

Mince n Tatties

So what's Fulham's plan you ask..
It could be a cunning one where we are kidding the scouts and media that were crap,and the we pounce by thumping Norwich 4-0...Coyw

aaronmcguigan

Boro- Stuani, Espinosa, Fischer
Hull-Davies, Maguire, Jakupovic, Robertson, Huddlestone, Elmohammody
Sunderland-Pickford, Mannone

These are the players that have been sold for any significant money. Hull are confusing in that the policy seemed to be to generate as much revenue without reinvesting, then go and buy unproven reserve like Stewart from Liverpool

Boro have just gone gung ho, and as much as I want to say their players recruited are average at best, our transfers are poor in comparison

Sunderlands policy seems to be a mix of lower league players and Everton players. In James Vaughan they got 2 for 1.

Mix of strategies, lack of strategy, kind of like the championship in a nutshell

Woolly Mammoth

I have said it before. and I will say it again. The squad not big enough to cover injuries. We are still 3 key players short. On top of that it's rumoured by the media that the club wants to sell Aluko, against the Managers Wishes. On top of that Jok is not a happy bunny, and agrees with me that you don't sell your best players if you want to get promoted, and he also agrees with me that we need to recruit some quality players as we are still not strong enough.
So it sounds like a real goon build up to the season thanks to the Three Stooges. But we all knew this could happen, well some of us did.
By the way I have forcaste before today's match in the Championship League position game, that Fulham would finish fourth in the League, I may have been a little too generous and forgot who was running this club, but my heart ruled my head.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.