watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zamora

Started by BedsFFC, July 29, 2017, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Just watched the Wolfsburg home goal by him.

Another goal where he cups his ear and wags his finger. You can lip read him saying "You can hear that, right" to another player.

I never understood it and still don't. We all used to sing ooh Bobby Zamora but he seemed to hate us.

What was it all about?

Rhys Lightning 63

He got A LOT of stick during the 08/09 season. 4 goals in over 40 games, not the greatest return.

I think that whole 09/10 season was his way of saying 'you ain't booing me now are ya?'.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

stevehawkinslidingtackle

A mate of mine cleans his windows in Sevenoaks and chats with him a fair bit . He never hated us.  Gave passed on a personalised signed shirt to me a few yrs ago, and he has said lots of nice things about us to my pal. It was just a small section of the crowd he targeted.
Lots of interesting stories I heard about his home life too, as he cleans inside too, chats with his wife etc, but would be wrong to put them on here.

filham

Bobby was a very good target man but early on at Fulham he did not enjoy the best of relationships with the fans, probably because we expected more goals from him.

However I think that after the Euros he was much better appreciated and the fans got behind him.

Never quite understood his funny gestures to the crowd.

Southcoastffc

He was a wonderful player for us.  Just looking at the Wolfburg clips, the goal he set up for Duff in the first leg is a perfect example of the work he did for the team, apart from the goals he scored. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

cmg

He never did forgive the fans for the stick he got in certain quarters after his less than sensational first season. The rage he seemed to express whenever he scored thereafter was an entertainment in itself. The high spot was the famous 'Babygrow Man' incident when he seemed on the verge of leaping into the Hammersmith End, a la Tarantini, and sticking one on his terrified persecutor. He contended himself with a burger eating pantomime and a hearty "F--- Off!".

Subsequently, of course, he became the Scourge of Europe and the best English player of his type around (he got 2 caps with us, didn't he?) but he never seemed to warm to the fans.

BedsFFC

Quote from: cmg on July 29, 2017, 01:29:21 PM
He never did forgive the fans for the stick he got in certain quarters after his less than sensational first season. The rage he seemed to express whenever he scored thereafter was an entertainment in itself. The high spot was the famous 'Babygrow Man' incident when he seemed on the verge of leaping into the Hammersmith End, a la Tarantini, and sticking one on his terrified persecutor. He contended himself with a burger eating pantomime and a hearty "F--- Off!".

Subsequently, of course, he became the Scourge of Europe and the best English player of his type around (he got 2 caps with us, didn't he?) but he never seemed to warm to the fans.

oh yes, Babygro man.

Zamora was virtually unplayable at that stage. Up there with Saha for that (although wholly different players)

A striker like that does so much for the players around him in terms of giving them time. I'd love to see the damage our current team could do with a striker like either of those two playing.
Lets hope

Herbie

I'm all up for players showing a bit of passion, but at times it felt like he'd do it without any good reason. Unfortunately, what should be great memories of him are tarnished by him unnecessarily berating his own supporters on more than one occasion.

bog

Quote from: Southcoastffc on July 29, 2017, 01:26:50 PM
He was a wonderful player for us.  Just looking at the Wolfburg clips, the goal he set up for Duff in the first leg is a perfect example of the work he did for the team, apart from the goals he scored.

:plus one:

HatterDon

Zamora was unfairly grilled by a large portion of supporters in the ground and members on here. There seems to be a feeling afoot along the lines of, "You make so much money, you shouldn't be upset when you're slated" that continues.

I've always admired the traditional English #9 and thought Bobby was one of our best. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Andy S

I don't think he hated us as a whole. I think it is more about footballers being a superstitious lot. Forwards are the worst of all. I think Ivor had to always come out last. Once Bobby Zamora scored and cupped his ear and the scored the next one it would have been bad luck to end it. So he just carried on.  I think there are a lot of superstitious sports people

The Rock

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on July 29, 2017, 12:44:14 PM
He got A LOT of stick during the 08/09 season. 4 goals in over 40 games, not the greatest return.

I think that whole 09/10 season was his way of saying 'you ain't booing me now are ya?'.

Roy had him playing as that target hold up striker which created that crowd angst.

Kamara (Dio/Joe/The first) also did that "where is the criticism now" hand cupping the ear celebration that I also roughly thought also meant the same thing.

And Dempsey did it once or twice in sync with him as well.

nose

i loved zamorra fron the first time he played for us. he struggled to score at the start but his contribution was immense and it was clear we had a gem.
i know some people did not appreciate a center forward that failed to score, and usually I would agree, but bobby held up the play, turned defenders, linked up the play and used the ball so well that failing to hit the target was forgiveable, the team was better for him being in it. when the goals eventually started we had the complete package. I know he was/is a shy and thoughtful man and I think he did not appreciate some of the critism of him.

I cannot easilly think of a better classic center forward that we have had than him. saha was brilliant but a different type of player, and clarke was a poacher no more no less, Bobby was my favourite.
we could really do with somebody like him now.

VicHalomsLovechild

I worked for a customer who played for Bristol's youth team and he said Bobby Zamora was gifted but really wasn't that interested.
A successful forward needs the right players around him. A manager who will play him come what may and the love of the crowd. He had the first two but wasn't interested in cultivating the third. Ultimately he lost out. We've all followed the Club longer and have favourites. Partly or wholly because they give something back he was reluctant to do so.

aaronmcguigan

That Oh Bobby Zamora song fits Oliver Norwood perfectly