https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/08/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 04, 2017, 07:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ain't nobody like Tom Cairney
by Dan on August 3, 2017

Regular readers remember that I rarely say nice things about the Evening Standard. My neighbours always used to call it the 'Sub' and, reading through David Lloyd's 'Near Enough Is Good Enough' column in TOOFIF, it was clear why. My reasons for being positive about London's only serious paper diminished when it switched over from being the Evening Boris to the Evening Osborne, after the elevation of the architect of Tory austerity to the editor's chair despite him having precisely no journalistic experience.

However, the Standard does possess one of the finest football correspondents in the country in Giuseppe Muro, who has always been fair to Fulham and tried to squeeze as much Cottagers' coverage into the Premier League-focused paper as possible. Yesterday, Giuseppe did himself proud with a feature that captured the Tom Cairney we have all come to love over the last couple of years at Fulham. Many of the salient points of the interview will probably already having been covered whilst I was spending a lot of time in various hospitals yesterday, but Cairney comes across exactly as those of us who have the pleasure of meeting him would tell you – and that's one of the hardest things to achieve in journalism.

My only encounter with the Scottish midfielder, who really should become the fulcrum of the Tartan Army's midfield when they finally get around to saying goodbye to Gordon Strachan, came on the platform at Preston Station as he walked from the Subway towards the train. I sensed he was about to get mobbed and, he flashed that shy smile, saying that 'I'm just pleased the fans want to talk to me'. I was nearly flabbergasted. Of course they wanted to chat to you, Tom, after you'd surged through the Preston midfield on a mazy run to set up the winner for Matt Smith. He smiled again and I quickly thanked him, shook his hand and moved on. Sure enough, seconds later, a crowd of young fans appeared, singing his name and asking for autographs and selfies. Cairney chatted to them all, posed for every picture and signed each scrap of paper.

We all know about Cairney the footballer – the magical left foot, an ability to play a pass where there seemed to be no gap and that uncoachable quality of knowing just when it's time to take a game by the scruff of the neck. But what has impressed me the most over the past nine months has been the development of the man. Cairney might seem somewhat shy but beneath that quiet exterior is a fierce desire to deliver, as shown when Leeds axed him at 14 for being 'too small'. Others might have wilted in the face of rejection from their boyhood club, but Cairney went on to turn in quality performances on a regular basis for Hull City and Blackburn Rovers. By May, Cairney's leadership skills had merged alongside those disciplined displays as part of Fulham's third midfield musketeers to such an extent that it was a foregone conclusion he would succeed Scott Parker as captain.

Cairney might have to shake John Terry's hand in the centre circle this season, but nothing highlights the gulf in class between London's oldest professional football club and the team from Walham Green than the contrast in those two men. Cairney is a grounded individual, who benefits from the support of a family, who have waved away offers of corporate hospitality to sit in with the fans. Sister Rebecca and Tom's mum have embraced the madness of the Fulham experience rather than being overly fussed about a few lads bundling towards them after another screamer hits the net. Girlfriend Abbie has been remarkably tolerant of being the third wheel in his brilliant bromance with Smith. Meanwhile, Cairney has let his football do the talking – and quietly, in his own way, asks his team-mates to match his consistently high standards. In that staggering second half of the season that saw Slavisa Jokanovic's side record Championship winning form to reach the play-offs, nobody let him down.

Cairney's cult hero status was assured almost from the moment he curled in an improbable effort from the right angle of the box against Brighton and Hove Albion, but it was only enhanced by the way he deals with the adulation of younger fans. Take, for instance, how he received some thank you money from an eight year-old as well as instructions to 'try a bicycle kick and run fast to get the ball'. The video of Cairney turning up at Giacomo's door, saying 'You know I'm Tom Cairney' is brilliant.

That's not, as some suspected, an isolated incident or a PR exercise from Fulham Football Club. Take a look at the photos of Cairney meeting youngsters with Cauley Woodrow at the Fulham Foundation's Soccer Schools yesterday. We were sent a picture of the young boy on Cairney's right who interviewed him afterwards. When I grow up a bit, I want to look at Tom Cairney like one of those kids or Matt Smith. And, you know what, I probably will.

Cairney combines those two rare gifts – sensational footballing ability and humbleness in an age where all the inducements are there to become the kind of sports star people end up resenting. There ain't nobody like Tom Cairney. He fitted into things just fine when he arrived, but now both he and Fulham are flourishing. Long may it continue.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/aint-nobody-like-tom-cairney/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich City

So, the Championship is back for 2017/18 and Fulham kick off their season against seasoned opposition in Norwich City. The Canaries were expected to push for promotion last season and will be determined to make up for lost time in this campaign.

Alex Neil was sacked unceremoniously towards the tail end of the last Championship season and the new man in charge is Daniel Farke, who was poached from Dortmund II. The German was rated extremely highly at the Westfalenstadion and BVB were extremely reluctant to let him go. Having been under the tutelage of both Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel, it's easy to understand why.

That said, on-field personnel changes at Carrow Road have been steady rather than spectacular. There are three Germans who have followed Farke across the Channel, none of whom we're particularly any the wiser about – centre back Marcel Franke from Greuther Fürth, and Darmstadt midfielder Mario Vrancic; as well as Christophe Zimmermann who played under Farke at Dortmund II.

There are a few players we have heard of as well – notably Marley Watkins who joined on a free from Barnsley and former Fulham loanee James Husband, both of whom have Championship experience. They've loaned Southampton starlet Harrison Reed to provide cover in the central areas and Man City's Angus Gunn to fill the hole between the sticks left by the departures of John Ruddy and Declan Rudd.

Norwich will be upset to have lost their own Academy jewel in Jacob Murphy, who left for Newcastle after an impressive European Championships with the England U21 squad; and they've also lost their metronomic midfielder Johnny Howson, who left to join promotion rivals Middlesbrough.

Much of the old guard left in the changeover, with stalwarts such as Sebastian Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Ryan Bennett and Youssuf Mulumbu joining Ruddy in departing for pastures new, as well as Graham Dorrans heading north of the border to join Rangers.

Farke has had a full pre-season to stamp his mark on the players old and new, and we can expect a rejuvenated and exciting Norwich side to come up against the Whites on Saturday. Interestingly, Norwich haven't come to Craven Cottage and won since 1986, and a win on Saturday would be only a second in the last 20 competitive meetings between the two sides, which does provide a certain level of hope for Fulham fans – Canaries fans regard the Whites as very much their bogey team.

There's only so much we can say for sure at this stage, but Norwich fans in general seem upbeat with the new administration and happy with the way pre-season has gone – the Canaries are unbeaten, although the quality of opposition faced is somewhat questionable.

Doubtless they will be firing and ready to attempt to break their duck and get their own promotion bid off to the best possible start however, and Fulham will have to come out of the blocks quickly if the Whites are to start the season in the manner we all expect.

Pre-season results:

D: Norwich City 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion
    W: Charlton Athletic 0-2 Norwich City
    W: Arminia Bielefeld 1-3 Norwich City
    W: Cambridge United 0-2 Norwich City
    D: Stevenage 2-2 Norwich City

Fulhamish's Starting Line-Up:

To be perfectly honest this is as much of a guess as anything else because we have no real indication of how severe the injuries to Mcdonald, Cairney, Kebano and Bettinelli are, so give us a bit of leeway. We're going to take a punt and say that we think seeing TC is probably unlikely, so we're opting for Piazon in the 10 role in the meantime.

There's also the question mark over whether Kamara will be fit enough to get a start, but we've plumped for him leading the line because as we've seen, Slavisa isn't afraid to chuck them in at the deep end!

Key Battle:

Lucas Piazon v Harrison Reed

We've gone for a little bit of a rogue one in a game where key battles are hard to predict because the lineups could change at any given moment, but this is an interesting battle if it comes to fruition. Bearing in mind that we're assuming Cairney to be out, Piazon is going to have to prove his worth in a role which has belonged to one man for a long time.

Harrison Reed's place isn't tethered down either, but he did start in the holding role in Norwich's last pre-season friendly and, having been handed the No4 shirt, looks like he might be a smart bet. The Southampton man is an accomplished player on his day and will be looking to use this year in the Championship to prove his worth to his parent club, so you'd imagine he's going to have a point to prove.

Two young loanees looking to prove a point. Could be fireworks.

Fulhamish's Prediction:

Norwich have all the aspects that could cause Fulham problems. Their pre-season has seen them in a number of formations across games, switching between them fluidly to allow for changes in the game. Farke will have them well-drilled and hungry for a good start, but we think Fulham will have more than enough to cause them problems as well. We're going 2-1 Fulham with a nervy finish.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2017-08-03-fulham-v-norwich-city/

WhiteJC

U23: Chesham United 3-2 Fulham

Fulham lost 3-2 to Chesham United in a drizzly evening in Buckinghamshire. A hectic first half saw three goals in the opening quarter of an hour. Stephen Humphrys scored a brace, before Chesham came from two goals down to win.

Both teams were looking to get settled in the match, but it was Fulham who made an early breakthrough. Sean Kavanagh played a piercing ball through the defence and Dan Martin latched onto the end, sprinting into the area.

Martin pulled the ball back to the edge of the box for Humphrys, who hammered the ball into the bottom left of the goal to take an early lead.

90 seconds later after the restart and Martin was forward again, with Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson attempted to thread a ball to through, but a last second interception denied him.

Fulham were using their fullbacks well, in the tenth minute Joe Felix made a darting run and shot at goal. With the slippery conditions Chesham's keeper spilled the ball and Trialist A followed up with a shot but the keeper blocked.

After a succession of corners and clearances, Foday Nabay sent an early cross into a packed box and Humphrys glanced a header on target.

The keeper did well again making a block, however Humphrys was there for the rebound and smashed it into the back of the net for his second, making it 2-0.

Chesham responded quickly in the 14th minute, winning a corner of their own. From a corner Shane Brooks got a powerfull head to the ball and bulleted an effort which went in off the bar, narrowing the gap to one.

Three minutes later the Whites had another good chance. Pearce and Nabay linked up well down the right as Pearce dashed into the box and shot low, the keeper made another good save in the difficult conditions.

The match was end to end, Thorsteinsson did well to steal the ball and play a cross field pass to Trialist A, who pulled a ball back to Humphrys.

Looking for a hat-trick he stepped past the onrushing defender and shot hard and low, with the keeper collecting it in his gloves.

Pearce did well in the 36th minute to get past his fullback and send a perfect ball to Humphrys, he took a shot with his first touch and the keeper had to make a diving save.

Atli Andrason got a couple of shots away inside the box which were blocked well by the Chesham defence, Thorsteinsson put a perfectly weighted ball through to Trialist A, but his run was just too short to make the connection.

The rain didn't let up for the second half and Chesham had the first chance eight minutes in. Their attacking midfielder shot from 20 yards out and wasn't far from the wrong side.

Chesham got their equaliser in the 56th minute. A corner was swung into the box and Nabay couldn't clear. The ball bobbled to Jonjo Bates, and he shot from inside the box to bring things level.

In the 66th minute. Martin made a good run from the left, cutting inside and putting a deft ball forward to Trialist A, who blasted a shot that just went over the bar.

Five minutes later Thorsteinsson played a through-ball down the wing to Martin, who whipped a ball across the box and Trialist A couldn't reach the cross with his outstretched leg, inches from putting Fulham ahead again in the match.

With 13 minutes left on the clock, Humphrys and Felix linked up well down the right, and Felix put a pacey ball into the box and Trialist A got a header on target, however couldn't beat the keeper.

Chesham went ahead for the first time in the 80th minute. A cross skidded across the wet box and United's attacker struck on target, past Taye Ashby-Hammond to make it 3-2 to the hosts.

Fulham fought hard for an equaliser, Thorsteinsson smashed an effort at goal from 25 yards out, forcing the keeper to punch. From a free kick minutes later it looked like the Whites had found the goal as the ball was poked towards the net, but missed by the smallest margins.

Davies did well to keep Fulham in contention in the dying minutes, making an important tackle from a one on one. Nabay curled a couple of shots from the edge of the box but to no avail, and the match finished with the loss for the Whites.

Lineup:

T.Ashby-Hammond, Felix, Martin, Andrason, Davies (C), Kavanagh (40' Garrido), Pearce (46' Kait), Nabay, Humphrys, Trialist A, Thorsteinsson (85' Harris).

Photos curtesy of TREVOR HYDE

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/03/u23-chesham-united-3-2-fulham

WhiteJC

Ipswich Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's final match in August against Ipswich Town at Portman Road will go on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members at 10am on Saturday morning.

Prices start from £25 for adults and just £8 for juniors. Supporters will be able to secure their seat online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 or by visiting the Fulham Ticket Office in person.

Coach travel will also be available for this fixture, departing from Craven Cottage and Motspur Park at 10:30am.

The Whites will be looking for more of the same after defeating the Tractor boys 2-0 last seaon.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/03/ipswich-away-on-sale

WhiteJC

Championship Predictor: How will Fulham, Brentford and QPR get on as they compete with the likes of Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Leeds?

Using our widget you can predict the outcome of this season's Championship table. Have your say!

The Sky Bet Championship season gets underway on Friday night as recently-relegated Sunderland take on Derby County, while Millwall travel to Nottingham Forest.

The second tier of English football is a relentless beast, with teams taking on 46 games, and facing long spells on the motorway as they battle with a hectic fixture list consisting of repeated runs of Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday matches, meaning their is little room to pause for breath.

But what are you expecting from the season?

Middlesbrough and Aston Villa have been touted as the clear favourites for automatic promotion, while Burton Albion, Barnsley and Bolton are among the favourites for the drop. Brentford new boy reveals the key to a successful season

And what about our West London teams? Will Fulham be able to go one step further and secure promotion? Can Brentford push forward and sneak into a play-off spot, and could QPR be one of the season's surprise packages?

Have your say using our Championship predictor!

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-predictor-how-fulham-brentford-13422993

WhiteJC

Millwall new boy Ryan Tunnicliffe on 'no-brainer' Lions move and why it went wrong at Fulham

Ryan Tunnicliffe says joining Millwall was a "no-brainer" amid interest from other clubs.

Tunnicliffe, 24, was without a club following his release from Fulham in May.

Millwall have handed the midfielder a fresh start – and now - he wants to add more goals to his game.

Tunnicliffe said: "It's not been great [being without a club], it's not something you want in your career, but you've just got to take it on the chin and hope people are interested. I met the gaffer [Neil Harris] and he sold the club to me, it was a no-brainer, really.

"I had a few clubs interested in me but Millwall showed a lot of interest so I need to repay the gaffer for giving me another chance.

"You look at the likes of Barnsley who came up last year, they were as high as the play-offs at times and had a really good season.

"Anything's possible if everyone knuckles down and pulls together. Anything can be done.

"I've said throughout my career I need to score more goals. If I keep breaking forward and getting into the box I'm sure they'll come. I don't put a number on it, I want to score in every game.

"I don't think my game solely relies on that. Obviously, I want to chip in but there are other people on the pitch who score goals. If I can affect the game in any way possible then that's good for the team."

Tunnicliffe was an ever-present in Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic's team in the 2014/15 campaign.

But he was frozen out by the Serb last season, and was shipped out on loan to Wigan.

He added: "I knew I was in the last year of my contract and then when you get sent out on loan you don't expect them to want to renew it. I was half expecting it, so it is what it is.

"It was one of those things, the gaffer [Jokanovic] fell out of love with me at the time, but I can't really put my finger on what it was. I played a lot the year before under the gaffer so I'm not too sure what changed.

"These things happen in football but you've just got to get on with it and knuckle down.

"I've got a point to prove to myself because I don't like the fact that I was out of contract and they didn't want to renew it."

Tunnicliffe is fit and available for Millwall's Championship opener with Nottingham Forest on Friday.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15449511.Millwall_new_boy_on__no_brainer__Lions_move_and_why_it_went_wrong_at_Fulham/

WhiteJC

Season Opener

Secure your seat to watch Fulham's opening game of the 2017/18 Sky Bet Championship season.

The Whites take on Norwich City at Craven Cottage this Saturday 5th August (3pm) and will be looking to make a statement ahead of the new campaign.

With tickets selling quickly there's no better time to guarantee your seat to watch all the action unfold!

Prices start from £30 adults and £15 juniors and are available to purchase online now, by phone on 0203 871 0810 or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Matchday Hospitality

Elevate your experience at Craven Cottage with Matchday Hospitality.

Enjoy three-course fine dining in the company of Fulham & England legend George Cohen MBE, or why not spend the day in our sports bar, McBride's, hosted by 2000/01 promotion-winning star Sean Davis. Both packages come with halfway line seating to watch the action unfold.

With packages priced from just £99 per person (+VAT), secure your experience with London's original football club today online, by phone on 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm) or email [email protected].

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/03/norwich-tickets-and-hospitality

WhiteJC

Team News: Fulham v City

Norwich City are likely to welcome Wes Hoolahan back into the fold for Saturday's Sky Bet Championship opener away to Fulham.

The Republic of Ireland international has missed the majority of City's warm-up games through injury, but has stepped up his return to fitness lately.

Speaking to the media on Thursday afternoon, Head Coach Daniel Farke said: "Wes can't play 90 minutes but will be in the squad.

"He can be an option for us from the bench. Ivo Pinto has trained this week after missing all of pre-season and we will make a decision on whether we take him to Fulham."

Farke faces other late calls over the status of Josh Murphy (calf) and Russell Martin (leg), with the pair's weekend inclusion yet to be confirmed.

"If Josh is able to train tomorrow he could be an option from the bench," he added.

"There will be one last test for Russell tomorrow too. He took a hit to his leg so didn't train today."

Harry Toffolo and Jamal Lewis remain unavailable, while Alex Pritchard (ankle) and Timm Klose (leg) are still in the early stages of recovery after suffering injuries against Cambridge United.

Steven Naismith is suspended following his red card on the penultimate day of last season, with Louis Thompson set to miss the majority of this season following surgery on his Achilles.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/august/team-news-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sigurdsson's Russian Loan

The Club can confirm that Ragnar Sigurdsson has joined Rubin Kazan on a season-long loan deal.

The centre-back scored once in 18 appearances for the Whites last term.

We wish Ragnar the best of luck during his time in Russia.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/03/sigurdssons-russian-loan

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic backed to lead Fulham into the Premier League

Mike Holden (@Ratings_Mike) previews Slavisa Jokanovic and Fulham ahead of the 2017/18 Championship season.

Background

Fulham were most people's idea of the best team in the division towards the end of last season but tensions have resurfaced between Slavisa Jokanovic and the recruitment department led by American data analyst Craig Kline. The Serbian was equally frustrated by the same process that held him back 12 months ago but the Cottagers were mostly outstanding from October onwards. In the last 16 rounds, they picked up five more points than any other team but lost their mojo when it mattered most in the play-offs against Reading.

Personality

Jokanovic has cited Brian Clough as an idol during childhood and it's easy to recognise that influence in the type of football Fulham played last season, although there's definitely a pragmatic side judging by his time at Watford. The Serbian is an advocate of talent and will work tirelessly to bring the best out of players with unfulfilled potential. He communicates with individuals at a deeper level than most, tapping into inner desires more than motivating on a superficial level. His manner can be truly inspirational.

"I can't say anything about recruitment, it is not in my hands. But I expect the club to bring me more material and I'm really motivated to work with my players and make the team more competitive. If we want to be better, we need to build and bring quality into our squad. At the moment, I don't see my team at the highest level, like we were last season, but (eventually) I expect quality players who can help us to be better than we were last season."

Verdict

August is going to be a crucial month for Fulham because underachieving promotion rivals will soon come circling for Jokanovic if they sense he isn't happy. However, assuming the recruitment team come up with the goods and deliver the Serbian with the depth and quality he requires, he can be trusted to build on last season's blistering finish and get them cruising sooner. Last season's performance data was extraordinary and the Cottagers will take some stopping if that can be replicated.

Prediction: automatic promotion

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/3rd-august-2017/slavisa-jokanovic-backed-to-lead-fulham-into-the-premier-league

WhiteJC

Farke on Fulham: The players can't wait

Daniel Farke can feel a buzz growing within the Norwich City camp as Saturday's Sky Bet Championship curtain-raiser at Fulham moves closer.

Following an unbeaten pre-season, City get into the thick of competitive action under their new boss at Craven Cottage against a side who impressed during the 2016-17 campaign.

Speaking to the media at Colney Training Centre on Thursday, Farke said: "All the players are excited about the season beginning.

"They are great characters and there is a great atmopshere. As a coach, you think more about the problems and the solutions rather than being too excited.

"As a coach, you think with your head. It's a bit special to have my first game in England but I don't go too deep with it."

Farke feels equipped prepared for the Canaries' visit to the capital, believing The Cottagers' approach to match his own in some ways.

"Fulham have a similar philosophy to us; last season I think they had the most possession in the league," he explained.

"We know what type of team they are and what to expect. We are well prepared and will try to bring our ideas to the pitch.

"We need a great togetherness and to help each other. There will be setbacks and mistakes but we need support, especially in difficult times.

"When we stand together we can achieve extraordinary things. The players can't wait to be on the pitch."

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/august/daniel-farke-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham are targeting promotion, says Sone Aluko

Sone Aluko says Fulham are targeting promotion this year

Fulham are hoping to build on last campaign and turn a play-off finish into promotion this season, says forward Sone Aluko.

The Cottagers were the form team heading into last season's Sky Bet Championship play-offs, but fell short in the semi-final against Reading.

Aluko insists the team aren't going to dwell on disappointment, and told Sky Bet that promotion is the only aim for the upcoming campaign.

"At the start of last season no one tipped us for the play-offs at all," he said. "In fact we were talking about a relegation battle. But I just couldn't see that happening, we had a very strong team, a very good manager and staff and great facilities. Everything is here for the club to grow and kick on.

"Obviously it was very disappointing with how it ended in the play-offs because we thought we had enough to beat Reading and go through, but over the two legs it wasn't to be.

"We're proud of what we did but we know there's more to come. We need to bring in a few players and strengthen the squad, we had a lot of loanees last year who have gone back and Scott Parker has retired, which is a big miss for us. But we're a strong team and we're very confident.

"I can't see a team running away with it this year. I think it will be tough and it's not always the teams who spend the most money who do the best.

"Promotion is the number one aim for us and I really think we can do it this year."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/10972327/fulham-are-targeting-promotion-says-sone-aluko

WhiteJC

Ragnar Sigurdsson: Fulham defender joins Rubin Kazan on loan

Ragnar Sigurdsson's last Fulham start was in the Cottagers' 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest on 14 February

Fulham defender Ragnar Sigurdsson has left Craven Cottage to join Russian side Rubin Kazan on a season-long loan.

Iceland international Sigurdsson joined Fulham from FC Krasnodar for an undisclosed fee on a two-year deal in August 2016.

The 31-year-old made 18 appearances last season, scoring his only goal in a 2-0 win at Ipswich in December.

Fulham start the new Championship season when they host Norwich City on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40817487

WhiteJC

10 Championship players to watch as the race for the Premier League promised land gets underway

A 46-game roller coaster of relentlessness, blood, thunder, sweat and tears - and it all gets underway again on Friday evening

The Championship is the best league in the world. It's a fact.

A 46-game roller coaster of relentlessness, blood, thunder, sweat and tears - and it all gets underway again on Friday evening.

There are 24 teams who start with a clean slate; they start as equals and they are all dreaming of that golden ticket to the Premier League and the increasingly ludicrous financial pay day that goes with it.

So - who are the players you should be looking out for this season?

Our man Alex Richards casts his eye upon some of the top talent in the second tier...

1. Scott Hogan (Aston Villa)

Hogan joined the Villans for big money in January amid Premier League interest, having scored freely for Brentford in the first half of the campaign.

However, Hogan struggled to make an impact as the Villans failed to mount a playoff push.

There are questions at Villa Park over whether the former non-league hitman, who has fought back from serious knee injuries, has the mentality to succeed at a big club.

But a no.9 with exceptional movement in the 18-yard box, sharp acceleration and an unrelenting desire to be in the right place at the right time, if Hogan can get among the goals early, he'll be crucial for Steve Bruce's men.

2. Tom Cairney (Fulham)

Cairney set the Championship alight last term (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Slavisa Jokanovic isn't happy with the Cottagers summer activity - or lack thereof - but what he is unquestionably delighted with is keeping his captain.

Cairney enjoyed a magnificent 2016-17 as the Cottagers reached the playoffs, before promoted Newcastle came calling with a £20million offer for the ex-Blackburn man.

But the creative playmaker remains in West London, and will once more be charged with making the killer pass or applying the final touch to Fulham's play.

3. Britt Assombalonga (Middlesbrough)

Middlesbrough fell meekly to relegation, the Teessiders paying the price just as manager Aitor Karanka had for a side that struggled to create or take chances.

In the second tier opportunities should flow more freely, and new boss Garry Monk has splashed the cash in a bid to ensure his new side fire their way to an immediate top-flight return.

Chief protagonist will be Britt Assombalonga, who has been free-scoring for Nottingham Forest amid a City Ground spell which saw the Congolese hitman suffer a serious knee ligament injury.

Assombalonga scored 30 goals in 65 Championship games for Forest, prompting 'Boro to pay £15million for the barrel-chested 24-year-old.

Quick and strong, a player who wins freekicks in dangerous areas and uses his muscle to great effect, he is a key reason why 'Boro are favourites for an immediate Premier League return.

4. Ruben Neves (Wolves)

The much-vaunted Portuguese youngster has joined Wolves as part of their Iberian contingent, led by new manager Nuno and fronted by Jorge Mendes, the agent overseeing transfer policy at the club.

Neves, 20, has been watched by the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea in recent years, having been Porto's youngest-ever captain.

An injury-hit season in 2016-17 saw interest fade somewhat, and with Porto desperate for funds he moved to Molineux as Wanderers' record signing.

An intelligent deep-lying midfielder with good technique and vision, he's set to be Wolves' chief orchestrator, although their are questions over how he will cope with the physicality and workload of a 46-game Championship season.

5. Angus Gunn (Norwich)

The 21-year-old follows in the footsteps of his father, Bryan, by joining the Canaries in his quest for first-team action.

Gunn jnr arrives on loan from Manchester City, where the England Under-21 international admits he has grown frustrated at a lack of a clear pathway to the first team.

He is now set to get precisely that in East Anglia, and will need to get used to having the ball at his feet under new boss Daniel Farke.

Norwich's new boss arrives from Borussia Dortmund's second team, preaching that his new side will play out from the back, and has been eager to get Gunn kicking short and throwing quickly to start attacks and build play.

Gunn is calm and assured in possession and when looking to claim crosses. Pep Guardiola will be keeping a close eye on his development.

6. Samuel Saiz (Leeds United)

By Joe Mewis

As ever, it's been a summer of change at Leeds United.

Not many Leeds fans were sad to see the back of Massimo Cellino when Andrea Radrizzani completed his takeover of the club, but the departure of Garry Monk the next day felt like another kick in the teeth for their long-suffering fans.

However, the re-purchase of Elland Road and the signing of ten players has significantly raised expectation levels in West Yorkshire.

Samuel Saiz was a £3.1million signing from second tier Spanish side Huesca and has the potential to be key man for Thomas Christiansen's side. A slick operator behind the strikers who is excellent on the ball, he added end product to his game last season.

If he's able to be a bit more consistent, then Leeds could have a very good player on their hands.

7. George Boyd (Sheffield Wednesday)

By James Whaling

Eyebrows were raised when George Boyd swapped Turf Moor for Hillsborough earlier this summer to try and restore Sheffield Wednesday's place in the Premier League after nearly two decades away.

At time of publishing, the winger is the Owls' only signing ahead of the new campaign having rejected a one-year extension with Sean Dyche's side to drop down a division.

Boyd is a handy operator at Championship level, of that there is no question, helping fire the Clarets up during the season before last.

But it will be intriguing to see how he adapts back to life in the second tier having spent a term in the bright lights of the Premier League.

8. Chris Martin (Derby)

The Scotland international had an interesting 2016-17, spending the season on loan at Fulham after being dumped by Nigel Pearson, scoring goals as they pushed to the play-offs, going (briefly) on strike and in the midst of it all, making clear his want to return to the East Midlands and signing a new deal at Derby.

"Probably the strangest season of my career," is how he succinctly put it.

Now Martin looks set to play a key role under new boss Gary Rowett, offering the kind of physical attacking presence the Rams all too often lacked last term.

Derby have lost some creativity during the off-season, with Tom Ince and Will Hughes departing.

Rowett, believing he has something of a point to prove after his dismissal by Birmingham, will look to offset that lack of skill with a powerful, strong side, ready to show the kind of mental strength that has lacked at key stages in recent years.

Martin is set to play his part.

9. Jota (Brentford)

The Spanish winger was recalled from a loan spell at Eibar last December, having spent 12 months in his homeland due to personal reasons, and was arguably the Championship's outstanding player during the second half of last term.

The left footed technician scored 12 times in 21 games as the Bees offset the departure of top-scorer Hogan by finishing the season as one of the division's form sides.

Now the 26-year-old is being tasked with leading a promotion push at Griffin Park, handed increased responsibility on the right of Dean Smith's 4-3-3 formation.

Premier League interest has been speculated about, but Brentford insist no bids have been forthcoming for the Galician, whose deft touches and destructions of opposing full-backs will once more be something to keep an eye on.

10. Jason Cummings (Nottingham Forest)

The Scot arrives from Hibernian to fill the void left by Assombalonga's City Ground departure, and should be given plenty of opportunities by manager Mark Warburton, as he looks to piece together an attractive side capable of staying in the division with a touch of panache.

Cummings, 21, has impressed north of the border, scoring 55 times in the last three seasons and twice being named in the Championship Team of the Year.

However, strikers have moved south in recent years and failed to fire, and a player without an SPL goal to his name faces a fight to prove himself.

The £1million poacher will look to do precisely that by scoring regularly and has impressed Forest staff in pre-season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-championship-players-watch-race-10915339

WhiteJC

West Ham linked with Abdul Majeed Waris

West Ham are reportedly interested in signing Abdul Majeed Waris from Lorient this summer.

According to a report from the Daily Mail today, the Hammers are among a host of teams interested in landing the striker, with his stock seemingly growing ahead of the upcoming campaign.

Waris is a Ghanaian international, and was at Manchester City for a short spell during his early days on trial.

It's claimed by the Mail that a fee of just £9m would be enough to lure the forward away from Ligue 1 outfit Lorient, which is a price that most top flight clubs will be able to afford.

Despite being a natural striker, Waris has enjoyed a lot of success on the wing at Lorient, and has notched a commendable tally of 21 goals in 58 games since his move from Spartak Moscow.

The Hammers will face competition for his signature, though. The report states that all of Fulham, Brighton and Celtic are keen.

http://readwestham.com/2017/08/03/west-ham-linked-abdul-majeed-waris/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich preview

Tom Cairney; Could miss out for Fulham

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic is sweating on the fitness of club captain Tom Cairney ahead of their opening Sky Bet Championship home match with Norwich.

The Scotland international missed the Cottagers' final pre-season friendly against Wolfsburg with a knee injury and is rated doubtful for the match after only returning to full training on Thursday.

One player definitely missing is centre-back Ragnar Sigurdsson following the Iceland international's season-long loan move to Russian side Rubin Kazan.

Tomas Kalas is set to make his first appearance since re-joining the club on loan while new signings Aboubakar Kamara and Ibrahima Cisse could be handed their debuts.

Norwich captain Russell Martin is a major injury doubt for his side's trip to Craven Cottage.

Martin (leg) did not train on Friday and will face a late fitness test ahead of the Championship fixture.

Josh Murphy and Ivo Pinto, who has missed the entirety of Norwich's pre-season campaign, could be available from the bench, but Jamal Lewis, Harry Toffolo, Tim Klose, Alex Pritchard are all out.

German Daniel Farke takes charge of the Canaries for the first time after he succeeded Alex Neil, who was sacked in March.

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-norwich/preview/374623

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney: 'I'm happy at Fulham'

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney has insisted that he is happy at the club and has no plans to move in the near future.

The 26-year-old caught the eye of a number of sides with his form for the London side last season and was subject of an unsuccessful £20m bid from Newcastle United in January.

Amid rumours of further transfer interest this summer, the Scotland international went on to pen a new deal with the Cottagers last month.

"I was delighted to sign the new deal," he told the Evening Standard. "It has been the best time of my career down in London. Last season was the standout season in my career. I really like where the club are going and, hopefully, we can go one step further this season.

"Can we use last season as motivation? It is hard because it is such a long season and no two are the same. But the dream is to get Fulham back into the Premier League, where I think they deserve to be. To do it would be special.

"I love London. I do not want to move. It is a great place to live and I have settled quickly. I love life on and off the pitch and when you are happy you play your best football. You cannot put a price on happiness.

"If you are happy and you come into training with a smile on your face, you will always keep improving. It is something I did all of last season and I will look to do the same this season."

Fulham finished sixth in the Championship last season and went on to lose to Reading in the playoff semi-finals.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/tom-cairney-im-happy-at-fulham_304115.html

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Fulham linked with Ghana forward

Fulham are among a number of clubs the Mail say are weighing up a move for Lorient forward Abdul Majeed Waris.

West Ham, Brighton and Celtic are also said to be interested in the Ghana international, who is apparently available for £9m.

The 25-year-old can play up front or on the wing and has scored 21 goals in 58 games for Lorient.

Villa linked with Fulham target

Aston Villa have joined the race to sign Fulham target Sheyi Ojo, the Mirror say.

West London Sport recently revealed that the Whites were looking to sign winger Ojo, 20, on loan from Liverpool.

They faced competition from Middlesbrough and newly-promoted Newcastle, and Derby County have since also expressed an interest in him.

The Sun on Sunday reported that Ojo has decided he wants to join Fulham for the season, while the Mirror say Villa boss Steve Bruce is now hoping to sign him.

Whites linked with Murphy

Fulham are among a number of clubs interested in Brighton winger Jamie Murphy, according to Sky Sports News HQ.

There has been speculation that the Glasgow-born Murphy could leave Brighton this summer.

Sky say there has been interest in him from both north and south of the border, with the Whites and Sunderland said to be keen as well as Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers.

Murphy, 27, is reported to be keen to sign a new contract at Brighton and stay with the newly-promoted club.

But Sky reckon bids of around £4m will be considered at that Murphy could move on before the start of the new season.

Murphy is among a host of players Fulham have been linked with this summer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/football-fulham-brighton-and-hove-albion-west-ham-celtic-waris-linked

WhiteJC

Fulham tipped to draw against Norwich on opening day by Sky pundit

Sky pundit reckons it will be honours even at the Cottage

Fulham have been tipped to start the new season with a 1-1 draw at home to Norwich by Sky Sports' David Prutton.

The Whites are seen by many as the side to watch in the Championship this season after a superb second half of last season and have had a reasonable transfer window this summer, keeping hold of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon.

The Canaries, on the other hand, have made a change at the top with Daniel Farke being appointed as the club's new boss.

And Prutton is intrigued to see what happens at Carrow Road over the course of the season, starting with their trip to Craven Cottage.

Predicting a 1-1 draw, he told Sky Sports: "The indecision we saw around Norwich at the back end of last season has hopefully been put to bed by the new boss coming in, and it will be intriguing to see how Daniel Farke gets on early doors.

"Slavisa Jokanovic has had a bit of a grumble about recruitment at Fulham so far this summer, but he's been able to keep Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, which is excellent news for them.

"I feel like both teams would take a draw here on opening day."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-tipped-draw-against-norwich-13429136

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Norwich Prediction, Betting Tips, Preview & Live Stream Info

Fulham vs Norwich Prediction, Betting Tips & Preview ahead of this weekend's Championship fixture.

Fulham vs Norwich
English Championship 2017/18
5th August, 15:00 pm BST
Craven Cottage, London
Live Stream: Watch Fulham vs Norwich live on Bet365

Fulham vs Norwich Preview
Fulham host Norwich in their Championship opener this weekend and the Londoners will be hoping to extend their impressive run of form against the Canaries with a win.

Jokanovic's men were quite impressive towards the end of last season and they will be hoping to secure a playoff place this year. Despite their poor transfer business this summer, they are a well-organised unit and Norwich will need to be at their best to win here.

Meanwhile, Daniel Farke won't have the easiest of debut in English football. The Norwich manager will need to upset the odds in order to secure his first win this week.

Norwich have not beaten Fulham away from home since 1986 and changing that record won't be easy.

Fulham vs Norwich Team News
Fulham have a fully fit squad to choose from for this weekend's visit of Norwich. New signings Oliver Norwood, Ibrahima Cisse, Aboubakar Kamara and Marcelo Djalo are all expected to feature this weekend.

Norwich have a number of injuries to deal with this weekend. The likes of Pritchard, Klose and Thompson are all ruled out. Naismith is suspended after picking up a red card towards the end of last season.

Possible Fulham Starting Lineup (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Ream, Kalas, Sessegnon; Johansen, McDonald, Cairney; Ayite, Aluko, Piazon

Possible Norwich Starting Lineup (4-2-3-1): McGovern; Martin, Franke, Zimmermann, Husband; Reed, Tettey; Watkins, Maddison, Wildschut; Jerome

Fulham vs Norwich Betting Tips
Fulham are undefeated in 17 of their last 18 matches against Norwich in all competitions. Bet on the home side to win this weekend.

Fulham have seen over 2.5 goals in their last 3 matches against Norwich in all competitions. They have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches against. Bet on a high scoring game this weekend.

Fulham vs Norwich Prediction
Norwich are plagued with injuries right now and it won't be easy for them away from home. Fulham are the better team here and they have a history of doing well against the Canaries.

A home win seems quite likely this weekend.

Fulham 3-0 Norwich

Read more at http://sportslens.com/fulham-vs-norwich-prediction-betting-tips-preview-live-stream/213922/#yEFWcpjKg0AQsqiB.99