WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Nottm Forest
1 - 0 Millwall
Sunderland
1 - 1 Derby

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, Fulham, Sheff Wed, Leeds and Sunderland – the ones to watch

As foretold, the poll we've been running slipped down the front page and then off it so, although it remained – indeed remains – live, it no-one has visited recently. Before it disappeared from view we'd had over 7,000 votes cast, with well over 1,200 people taking part, from all parts of the UK and beyond.

That's enough to provide me with a guide as to which clubs we'll report on as we try to get an idea of who's heading out of the Championship in the right direction.

As the headline says, Sunderland's in the mix, probably only because  of the loyalty of diehard fans.

Has that loyalty been strained too much by recent events? Or did they, perhaps, inject a dose of realism? The poll's still open, perhaps Norwich will make that jump from seventh before the season starts.

And with that season starting in a few hours, here's how the votes have been cast:

Club    Votes    % of vote
Middlesbrough    965    13%
Aston Villa    871    12%
Fulham    823    11%
Sheff Wed    711    10%
Leeds    622    9%
Sunderland    543    8%

As you can see, 'Boro remain strong favourites with Sunderland lagging well behind. Between them are representatives of our two biggest cities and a couple more Yorkshire clubs.

Norwich had 465 votes, Reading 424, which when rounded up gives them both 6% of the votes. I don't think either of them will overtake Sunderland and make the top six but I might yet add them to spot graphs if the need arises

If you're amnesiac or new to the series you can revisit some of the earlier posts to see what's going on and how we'll track the progress, or lack of progress, of our chosen clubs:

http://salutsunderland.com/2017/08/middlesbrough-aston-villa-fulham-sheff-wed-leeds-and-sunderland-the-ones-to-watch/

WhiteJC

Reading FC: Jaap Stam admits Fulham's Sone Aluko would be a 'perfect fit' for Royals

Fulham's Sone Aluko has been linked with a move to Reading. Picture: Ashley Western/CameraSport.

READING FC have not given up on their pursuit of Fulham forward Sone Aluko – despite Slavisa Jokanovic's determination to keep the Nigerian at Craven Cottage.

Boss Jaap Stam admitted Aluko would be the perfect fit for his playing style as Royals look to complete a number of deals ahead of Saturday's Championship opener at QPR (3pm ko).

Aluko is one of several names linked with a switch to Madejski Stadium, but Fulham are reportedly ready to offer the 28-year-old a fresh deal to secure his future in West London.

In fact, Jokanovic claimed it would be a "big mistake" for Fulham to allow Aluko to leave after revealing the Cottagers had rejected a number of bids during the summer.

But Dutchman Stam admitted Royals are doing all they can to strengthen their squad in time for this weekend's clash at Loftus Road, despite clubs demanding huge transfer fees and players seeking hefty salaries.

Speaking about Aluko, Stam stated: "Everybody knows what type of system Sone plays in at Fulham.

"If he was here he would fit in our style of play but I don't know if we can agree a deal.

"I know his name has been mentioned, we would be very interested in bringing a player like him in, but I don't know if it can happen."

The Chronicle understands Fulham would demand a big transfer fee to allow Aluko to leave Craven Cottage.

But Stam admitted Reading are struggling to match demands for transfers and wages.

He continued: "It's how the market is.

"Teams are paying a lot of money to get players in and because of that other teams are demanding more money.

"Players are asking for big salaries so it's difficult to get players in.

"I know we have been in talks with certain players in certain positions."

The Chronicle also understands Reading will continue to push Cottagers in order to strike a deal, but Jokanovic is determined for Aluko to remain in West London for now.

He told the Evening Standard: "All I can do is fight. Around me, there is news we're thinking about selling him.

If we do this, then it will be a big mistake for my team."

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/15451760.Reading_FC__Jaap_Stam_admits_Fulham_s_Sone_Aluko_would_be_a__perfect_fit__for_Royals/

WhiteJC

Fulham star insists he is loving life on and off the pitch after seeing off Newcastle interest

Cairney agreed a new deal earlier this summer to dispel any further transfer speculation and is dreaming of helping the Whites back to the Premier League

Fulham talisman Tom Cairney has insisted he is does not want to leave Fulham and is loving life on and off the pitch.

Newcastle made a bid in January to sign the Whites midfielder but the club's hierarchy blocked the move.

Cairney agreed a new deal earlier this summer to dispel any further transfer speculation and is dreaming of helping Fulham back to the Premier League.

"I was delighted to sign the new deal," he told the Evening Standard. "It has been the best time of my career down in London. Last season was the standout season in my career. I really like where the club are going and, hopefully, we can go one step further this season.

Tom Cairney celebrates scoring against Newcastle (Image: Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)

"Can we use last season as motivation? It is hard because it is such a long season and no two are the same. But the dream is to get Fulham back into the Premier League, where I think they deserve to be. To do it would be special.

"I love London. I do not want to move. It is a great place to live and I have settled quickly. I love life on and off the pitch and when you are happy you play your best football. You cannot put a price on happiness.

"If you are happy and you come into training with a smile on your face, you will always keep improving. It is something I did all of last season and I will look to do the same this season."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-star-insists-loving-life-13430524

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I can't wait for the 2017/18 campaign to get under way this Saturday. Obviously we want to get off to a good start, winning your first game is vitally important. I can't remember too many times when we lost our first game of the season. Obviously Man United is one, but even then we bounced back and won our first home game 2-0. The way we ended last season, that's how we need to start this one. Let's make a statement. Norwich, Reading, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday is a tough start, but what a statement it would be if we take nine or 10 points from them.

The players have more pressure on them this season because last year there wasn't really that much expected of them. Now, we expect promotion, because every season you want to improve. And I think the squad is capable of producing another great season for the Club. For me, top-two is the target, with the Play-Offs the minimum requirement. A lot of people, both Fulham fans and not, will be looking at us and expecting us to be up there. It's going to be a tough league, it always is, but especially this year with the amount of money some clubs are spending. Wolves have spent a fortune, Middlesbrough have spent £30m on forwards alone, and that does work sometimes – just look at Newcastle last season.

Keeping hold of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon was massive in the summer. There were a lot of rumours and speculation, but tying those two down to new deals just shows the ambition of the Club. It also demonstrates how mature a head Sess has got on his shoulders, and that he's got good people around him. I know he comes from a great family who are very humble, so they will have realised this is the best place for him because he's getting regular games.

We've seen a number of new faces join the Club over the past couple of months, as well as two familiar ones. Tomas Kalas was tremendous for us last season, and it's such a boost to know he's going to be taking his place in the backline. It's also good to have Lucas Piazon back as we know he scores good goals, he's creative, he works hard and he's an honest player.

I've always liked Oliver Norwood, he's impressed playing against us for a couple of different sides. The Wolfsburg game was the first I'd seen of Ibrahima Cisse, and he looks like he can cover a lot of ground, an unselfish player who looks to break up the play and give the ball simply to other players. That's what you need in every team – I should know as that's what I used to do!

I'm pleased we've brought in a striker in Aboubakar Kamara. Against Wolfsburg I felt we were missing a number nine. Sone Aluko had a great game but I think he's at his best when he's playing off the striker, drifting into those areas where he's hard to pick up. So hopefully Kamara can settle in and score plenty of goals, and then I think we're going to be really dangerous.

Last Saturday was a pre-season friendly so you can't really read too much into it. I've been involved in pre-seasons where we've won near enough every game, feel like you're on fire, then you lose the first game of the season. Whereas there's been times where I've not felt fit enough in pre-season, but then it all clicks on opening day. Pre-season's just about getting minutes, getting strength back in the legs.

That match was a chance to see the players in the new Home Kit, and it's one I really like. The kits always look a bit tighter and more fitted compared to what we used to wear. When I see footage of us playing in that Pizza Hut kit, it was drowning me! I'd like to assure the fans that I wasn't fat enough for the shirt they stuck me in! I like our new away top too as it reminds me of when we played in the UEFA Cup for the first time. The worst one I can remember us having is that horrible green one that we had all those years ago. Anything would be an improvement on that I think!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/04/the-sean-davis-column

WhiteJC

Why Fulham's trip to Derby and home game with Cardiff are likely to be goal-fests

The new Championship season is just days away and as part of the buildup GetWestLondon have been through 11v11.com's record books to see which fixtures produce the most goals

Fulham's trip to Derby could be the game to watch as far as goals are concerned.

The new Championship season is just days away and as part of the buildup GetWestLondon have been through 11v11.com's record books to see which fixtures produce the most goals.

And when the Whites travel to the east Midlands there are, on average 3.7 goals every game.

When Fulham are at home to Cardiff, goals are also likely with an average of 3.6 goals per meeting.

Top of the pile is Brentford's visit to Burton which has produced an average of eight goals per game.

Tom Cairney celebrates his equaliser against Leeds (Image: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

However, it's a fixture that's only ever been played once before, when the Bees beat the Brewers 5-3 on March 18, 2017.

When it comes to a fixture that has been played multiple times then the one to watch out for is Sunderland's visit to Brentford.

The Black Cats' nine previous away games against Brentford have seen an average of 4.1 goals scored per match.

Preston versus Brentford has the next highest average for a more than twice contest fixture at 3.9 goals per game.

That's followed by Brentford-Ipswich (just less than 3.9), Derby-Wolves (3.8) and Sheffield Wednesday-Birmingham (just over 3.7 per game).

Each Championship club's top scoring fixture:

Club | Match | Goals per game

Aston Villa | Derby (H) | 3.7

Barnsley | Preston (A) | 3.4

Birmingham City | Sheffield Wednesday (A) | 3.7

Bolton Wanderers | Sheffield United (A) | 3.5

Brentford | Burton (A) | 8

Bristol City | Reading (H) | 3.4

Burton Albion | Brentford (H) | 8

Cardiff City | Fulham (A) | 3.6

Derby County | Wolves (H) | 3.8

Fulham | Derby (A) | 3.7

Hull City | Ipswich (H) | 3.5

Ipswich Town | Brentford (A) | 3.8

Leeds United | Bolton (H) | 3.4

Middlesbrough | Sheffield Wednesday (H) | 3.4

Millwall | Birmingham (H) | 3.3

Norwich City | Burton (H) | 4

Nottingham Forest | Burton (H) | 7

Preston North End | Brentford (H) | 3.9

Queens Park Rangers | Bolton (H) | 3.4

Reading | Burton (A) | 6

Sheffield United | Birmingham (H) | 3.6

Sheffield Wednesday | Burton (A) | 4

Sunderland | Brentford (A) | 4.1

Wolverhampton Wanderers | Derby (A) | 3.8

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-trip-derby-home-game-13430896

WhiteJC

KONAMI announces exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC

Exciting news breaking this morning as Konami announces a new global partnership with Fulham FC! Read the full press release below:

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has announced it has entered an exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC, one of London's oldest and most iconic clubs, for its Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series.

Fulham were founded in 1879 and are London's oldest professional football club. Having just missed out on promotion last season, the club are looking to the new season to build on their progress of the last few years and the club's reputation for the development of talented young players.

KONAMI and Fulham have entered an exclusive agreement that will see the club perfectly recreated within the publisher's forthcoming PES 2018. The full squad will be recreated in game with all kits and players to be perfectly replicated via Konami's full body-scanning process, while KONAMI will also have an extensive presence within the club's stadium, as part of the match day experience, and within the club's progressive youth academy.

PES 2018 branding will feature on the back of the club's new home, away, third and goalkeeping kits, and will be main sponsor of the Youth Team's kit, showcasing the publisher's support of the club's enviable talent base. KONAMI and PES 2018 branding will also be prominent across the ad boards around the pitch and within branded areas inside the ground, and on ball boy kits on match days. KONAMI will also be taking over Fulham's Family Zone area, with gaming set-ups showcasing the club's inclusion in-game available for young fans to experience. PES 2018 will also be available in the club store and online eStore with an exclusive Fulham FC slipcase, and KONAMI is committed to working closely with the club's online and social media teams to create cross-promotional campaigns including PES branding within match day team announcements and goal updates.

The agreement comes as KONAMI continues to extend the range of its in-game partners for the PES series. PES 2018 sees the publisher unveil an extensive range of new elements that build upon the previously laid foundations. Centred on the concept that PES 2018 is "Where Legends are Made", the new game has more additions than any other in the series for the last ten years, including new ways to play, a PC version to the standard of the leading console iterations, and an unrivalled gameplay experience.

"Fulham is a club with an enviable heritage and a very bright future," commented Jonas Lygaard, Senior Director – Brand & Business Development for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. "It is a club that is on the cusp of very good things, with a policy that continues to nurture its youth prospects. KONAMI is extremely happy to be working closely with such a progressive club. We will enjoy having prominent branding position on match-days, making full use of the Family Zone, and are proud to be presented on the front of the Youth Team's kits, as well as a key sponsor to the first XI."

"We welcome KONAMI as a new partner to the on-going development of Fulham's growth," commented Casper Stylsvig, Chief Revenue Officer for Fulham. "PES 2018 is seen as the definitive football title for home systems and mobile users, and we are delighted to be so well represented within such an illustrious game. We also welcome KONAMI to Craven Cottage via its sponsorship commitments and as a new back of shirt partner for the first team and front of shirt partner for our exciting Youth Team squads."

PES 2018 will be released for PlayStation®4, Xbox One™, PlayStation®3 and Xbox360™ on September 14th. The game will also be available via Steam in a version that has undergone substantial improvements in terms of aesthetics and content, ensuring the game enjoys parity with the current gen formats.

http://www.pesfan.com/blog/2017/08/04/konami-announces-exclusive-global-partnership-with-fulham-fc/

WhiteJC

Global Partnership With KONAMI

The Club is delighted to announce that it has entered into an exclusive global partnership with Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. for its Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series.

Fulham and KONAMI have entered an exclusive agreement that will see the Club perfectly recreated within the publisher's forthcoming PES 2018. The full squad will be recreated in game with all kits and players to be perfectly replicated via Konami's full body-scanning process, while KONAMI will also have an extensive presence within our stadium, as part of the matchday experience, and within the Club's progressive youth academy.

PES 2018 branding will feature on the back of our new home, away, third and goalkeeping kits, and will be main sponsor of the youth teams' playing kit, showcasing the publisher's support of the Club's enviable talent base. KONAMI and PES 2018 branding will also be prominent across the ad boards around the pitch and within branded areas inside the ground, and on ball person kits on matchdays.

KONAMI will also be taking over Fulham's Family Zone area, with gaming set-ups showcasing the Club's inclusion in-game, available for young fans to experience. PES 2018 will also be available in the Club Store and online eStore with an exclusive Fulham FC slipcase, and KONAMI is committed to working closely with the Club's online and social media teams to create cross-promotional campaigns including PES branding within matchday team announcements and goal updates.

The agreement comes as KONAMI continues to extend the range of its in-game partners for the PES series. PES 2018 sees the publisher unveil an extensive range of new elements that build upon the previously laid foundations. Centred on the concept that PES 2018 is "Where Legends are Made", the new game has more additions than any other in the series for the last 10 years, including new ways to play, a PC version to the standard of the leading console iterations, and an unrivalled gameplay experience.

"Fulham is a club with an enviable heritage and a very bright future," commented Jonas Lygaard, Senior Director - Brand & Business Development for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. "It is a club that is on the cusp of very good things, with a policy that continues to nurture its youth prospects. KONAMI is extremely happy to be working closely with such a progressive club. We will enjoy having prominent branding position on matchdays, making full use of the Family Zone, and are proud to be presented on the front of the youth teams' kits, as well as a key sponsor to the first XI."

"We welcome KONAMI as a new partner to the ongoing development of Fulham's growth," commented Casper Stylsvig, Chief Revenue Officer for Fulham. "PES 2018 is seen as the definitive football title for home systems and mobile users, and we are delighted to be so well represented within such an illustrious game. We also welcome KONAMI to Craven Cottage via its sponsorship commitments and as a new back of shirt partner for the first team and front of shirt partner for our exciting youth team squads."

PES 2018 will be released for PlayStation®4, Xbox One™, PlayStation®3 and Xbox360™ on September 14th. The game will also be available via Steam in a version that has undergone substantial improvements in terms of aesthetics and content, ensuring the game enjoys parity with the current gen formats.

For more information, please visit: https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/

To view the new teaser trailer, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgNxN0rQYw

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/04/global-partnership-with-konami

WhiteJC

KONAMI, PES2018 + Fulham FC Announce Exclusive Global Partnership

Konami have just announced Fulham FC as their latest global partnership.

The deal will see the PES2018 branding on the back of the Fulham FC match day kits as well as be he main sponsor for their Youth Team jerseys.

You can read the entire press release below:

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has announced it has entered an exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC, one of London's oldest and most iconic clubs, for its Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series.
Fulham were founded in 1879 and are London's oldest professional football club. Having just missed out on promotion last season, the club are looking to the new season to build on their progress of the last few years and the club's reputation for the development of talented young players.
KONAMI and Fulham have entered an exclusive agreement that will see the club perfectly recreated within the publisher's forthcoming PES 2018. The full squad will be recreated in game with all kits and players to be perfectly replicated via Konami's full body-scanning process, while KONAMI will also have an extensive presence within the club's stadium, as part of the match day experience, and within the club's progressive youth academy.
PES 2018 branding will feature on the back of the club's new home, away, third and goalkeeping kits, and will be main sponsor of the Youth Team's kit, showcasing the publisher's support of the club's enviable talent base. KONAMI and PES 2018 branding will also be prominent across the ad boards around the pitch and within branded areas inside the ground, and on ball boy kits on match days. KONAMI will also be taking over Fulham's Family Zone area, with gaming set-ups showcasing the club's inclusion in-game available for young fans to experience. PES 2018 will also be available in the club store and online eStore with an exclusive Fulham FC slipcase, and KONAMI is committed to working closely with the club's online and social media teams to create cross-promotional campaigns including PES branding within match day team announcements and goal updates.

The agreement comes as KONAMI continues to extend the range of its in-game partners for the PES series. PES 2018 sees the publisher unveil an extensive range of new elements that build upon the previously laid foundations. Centred on the concept that PES 2018 is "Where Legends are Made", the new game has more additions than any other in the series for the last ten years, including new ways to play, a PC version to the standard of the leading console iterations, and an unrivalled gameplay experience.
"Fulham is a club with an enviable heritage and a very bright future," commented Jonas Lygaard, Senior Director – Brand & Business Development for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. "It is a club that is on the cusp of very good things, with a policy that continues to nurture its youth prospects. KONAMI is extremely happy to be working closely with such a progressive club. We will enjoy having prominent branding position on match-days, making full use of the Family Zone, and are proud to be presented on the front of the Youth Team's kits, as well as a key sponsor to the first XI."
"We welcome KONAMI as a new partner to the on-going development of Fulham's growth," commented Casper Stylsvig, Chief Revenue Officer for Fulham. "PES 2018 is seen as the definitive football title for home systems and mobile users, and we are delighted to be so well represented within such an illustrious game. We also welcome KONAMI to Craven Cottage via its sponsorship commitments and as a new back of shirt partner for the first team and front of shirt partner for our exciting Youth Team squads."

For more information, please visit: https://www.konami.com/wepes/2018/
To view the new teaser trailer, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgNxN0rQYw

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/konami-pes2018-fulham-fc-announce-exclusive-global-partnership/

WhiteJC

Lydia's Season Predictions
by Lydia on August 4, 2017

I always love reading the pundits' season predictions on the various platforms not because I think they will give us an indication of what is to come, but purely for entertainment value. The Championship is too unpredictable and so many of the predictions will be way off. Although they do give us plenty of reason to get into good discussions and debates about the season ahead. I'm sure we all remember Ian Holloways statement that Fulham would finish 17th last season which provided plenty of banter and smugness amongst our fan base.

My predictions will hopefully be less of a disaster than Holloway's then so here we go-

Champions- Middlesbrough   

Dreadfully boring in the Premiership last year and deserved to go down due to their lack of firepower upfront. It's interesting to note that 4 of the bottom 7 teams in the PL last year lost more games than the Teesiders but a league low of 5 victories was the breaking point. Their backline is similar to last year's so I can't see them conceding many while Brit Assombalonga, Ashley Fletcher and Rudy Gestede amongst others will prove too much for many Championship backlines.

2nd– Reading

Urgh I hate to say it but I think Reading will go one better than last season and go up. I would be putting us here but my worry is squad depth. Our best 11 may be better than Readings, but their depth is much greater. Love it or loathe it, the style they play under Jaap Stam is effective. Not pretty, and I would hate to be watching it every week, but effective.

Play-off spots- Fulham, Villa, Wolves and Norwich (Fulham to win the play-offs)

I'll not go through them all in detail but I think that if we carry on as we played the second half of last season then we will finish in the playoff places again. Villa may have an aging squad, but they'll be much better than last season now that Bruce has had his own pre-season with them. Wolves are buying all around them, and while I don't think that they will go up automatically as some people are expecting, they will have enough to make it to the play-offs. Norwich had a disappointing season last time out but with a few decent additions they will be there or thereabouts.

Relegation- Burton Albion, QPR and Bristol City

I had originally backed Albion to stay up but with record signing Liam Boyce now set to miss the full season through injury, I can't see a happy ending for them. QPR have gone steadily downhill and I can't see them playing in the Championship in 2018/19 while Bristol City have been relying on a star striker to keep them up for the past two seasons but I reckon it's third time unlucky for them now.

Fulham specific predictions-

Finish 3rd– As mentioned above, my heart thinks (or maybe just hopes) that we will manage to finish second but our depth is still too much of a concern. Maybe we haven't finished in the transfer window yet but as of right now I think it's third for us but winning promotion through the play-offs. We can dream, eh?

Key signing- We have lot's of important ones in Kalas and Norwood but on the basis of not having signed a striker in years, I'm going with AK47 himself, Aboubakar Kamara. The 22 year-old helped previous club Amiens to promotion to the top flight in France last year and I reckon it will be two promotions in two years for him.

Will Slav stay the year- YES

We may get an occasional outburst from our head coach, but the fact that he signed a new deal when he knows how the club works tells me that he will stay. If we don't get promoted then things are less rosy, but we can worry about that next summer if we don't make it.

Will Cauley Woodrow get his chance- yes, but only here and there

I can't see Woodrow starting many games in the league barring any injuries but I do think that he will play an important role in cup competitions and off the bench. I think he will net 8-12 goals overall but won't be our main man.

Breakthrough player- Tayo Edun

I was surprised that Steven Humphries wasn't included in the First Teams' preseason this year and that suggests that he is either heading out on loan, or will stay will the U23s. Tayo Edun played an important role in the England U19 European Championship winning side and I think his class in midfield will show off the bench this year. Matt O'Riley also looks like he will be given a chance at some stage as well but a loan deal might be in the offing for now.

Most important player- Tom Cairney

I can't look past him really. After signing a new deal whenever plenty of clubs were sniffing around him shows loyalty and I reckon it'll pay off for him this year. McDonald will be close behind him though.

Top Goal scorer- Aboubakar Kamara

He is a striker. What more can I say?

So that brings me to the end of my attempt at predicting the madness ahead. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me but I'm always up for a friendly debate, so let me know what you think will happen in the coming months.

Less than 24 hours before we kick off now. Here's to a top season in Black and White.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/lydias-season-predictions/

WhiteJC

Konami announces exclusive global partnership with...

Fulham.

Hot on the heels of sparkling deals with Barcelona, Liverpool and, er, Usain Bolt comes Konami's latest partnership for PES 2018.

It's a London club.

It's in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham...

It's Fulham.

Well, Craven Cottage is a stone's throw from Stamford Bridge.

Now, I don't mean to be mean about Fulham, but it's not often we see football video games make a song and a dance about licensing deals with Championship clubs. I imagine EA is quaking in its Sky Sports-branded boots right now.

Does Louis Saha still play for Fulham? Apparently not...

Anyway, here's Konami's note to press:

"Konami announces exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC. Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has announced it has entered an exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC, one of London's oldest and most iconic clubs, for its Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series.

"Fulham were founded in 1879 and are London's oldest professional football club. Having just missed out on promotion last season, the club are looking to the new season to build on their progress of the last few years and the club's reputation for the development of talented young players."

The upshot of this is the full Fulham squad is recreated in the game with all kits and players via body-scanning. Konami will have a presence within Fulham's stadium as part of the match day experience, and within the club's youth academy. PES 2018 branding will feature on the back of the club's new home, away, third and goalkeeping kits, and will be the main sponsor of the Youth Team's kit, "showcasing the publisher's support of the club's enviable talent base".

Konami and PES 2018 branding will also be prominent across the ad boards around the pitch and within branded areas inside the ground, and on ball boy kits on match days.

It's an interesting time for PES 2018 right now, given Neymar just ditched Barcelona for PSG in a whopping £200m transfer. Neymar featured prominently on the PES 2018 box art as a Barcelona player, and in marketing material including videos. As Neymar has been scrubbed out of Barcelona's squad list, the Brazilian superstar will have to be removed from PES 2018's box art. Not a disaster for Konami, but irritating nonetheless!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-04-konami-announces-exclusive-global-partnership-with

WhiteJC

Former Fulham midfielder sets out his expectations as new season draws near

Former Fulham midfielder Sean Davis has told the club's official website that he expects his old side to finish in the top six as a 'minimum requirement' in the forthcoming Championship season, with a top two finish 'the target'.

Last season, the west London outfit went on a scintillating run of form after Valentine's Day – when no team in the second tier picked up more points – which saw them sneak into the final play-off spot, exceeding the pre-season expectations of many observers.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side were eliminated in the play-off semi finals by Jaap Stam's Reading, losing out 2-1 on aggregate and Davis expects his former club to carry on their improvement, dealing with the increased weight of expectation from both their own fans and neutral observers, backing the players to produce another 'great' season.

That means that another play-off birth is the minimum requirement, otherwise it will be seen as a season of regression for Fulham, but Davis feels that a spot in the automatic promotion spots is certainly not out of reach, even despite the heavy spending going on across the league, with divisional rivals such as Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Wolves all spending big to bolster their respective promotion bids.

By contrast, Fulham have largely focused on keeping the same core as last season, tying down captain Tom Cairney and hot prospect Ryan Sessegnon to long-term deals and sealing the return of Chelsea pair Tomas Kalas and Lucas Piazon, both on season-long loan deals.

The Verdict:
Davis is right to call on his former side to improve on their finish from last season – a season of regression, even if it is more in line with reasonable expectations would significantly dampen the mood around the club.

He is also right to claim that Fulham can get up automatically, but it depends on two factors. The first is; can they produce their late-season form of last campaign through the whole of this season? If they can, they'll be right among the promotion chasers.

Secondly, how will new signing Aboubakar Kamara settle in? Fulham made the top six last season without a reliable number nine – loanee Chris Martin angered Whites fans by requesting a return to Derby County midway through the season – so if Kamara can be a reliable source of goals, finishing the hatfuls of chances Jokanovic's attractive style of football demands, there is no reason why Fulham cannot be in the top two.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former-fulham-midfielder-sets-out-his-expectations-as-new-season-draws-near/

WhiteJC

Konami announces exclusive partnership with Fulham FC for PES 2018
Why have a champion, when you can have a championship team.

Konami has announced that it's entered an exclusive global partnership with London's oldest professional football club, Fulham FC, for its Pro Evolution Soccer series. This agreement will see the Championship club perfectly recreated in the forthcoming PES 2018. The full squad will be recreated in game with all the kits and players replicated using Konami's full body-scanning process. What a coup.

PES 2018 branding will also feature on the back of the West London club's new home, away, third and goalkeeping kits, and will be the main sponsor of the Youth Team's kit, showcasing Konami's support of the club and its acclaimed youth system. Basically PES 2018 will be prominently displayed in advertisements around the club, with the game also been sold in the club and online stores with an exclusive Fulham FC branded slip case.

So, what does this news mean to pretty much all of us non-Fulham fans? Well, this Fulham FC deal has clearly been announced today as a worthy news story in response to the (frankly ridiculous) £198 million transfer of PES 2018 cover star Neymar from Barcelona to Paris St. Germain.

I think Konami is onto something here. Now get Sheffield United (and I suppose Sheffield Wednesday) as a global partner and we're talking.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/konami-announces-exclusive-partnership-with-fulham-fc-for-pes-2018

WhiteJC

Konami signs PES partnership with Fulham FC
London's oldest football club to be recreated in this year's Pro Evolution Soccer

"Fulham is a club with an enviable heritage and a very bright future," commented Jonas Lygaard, Senior Director - Brand & Business Development for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. "It is a club that is on the cusp of very good things, with a policy that continues to nurture its youth prospects. KONAMI is extremely happy to be working closely with such a progressive club. We will enjoy having prominent branding position on match-days, making full use of the Family Zone, and are proud to be presented on the front of the Youth Team's kits, as well as a key sponsor to the first XI."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-04-konami-signs-pes-partnership-with-fulham-fc

WhiteJC

Brighton, Celtic and West Ham chasing Ghana striker Majeed Waris

Brighton, Celtic, Fulham and West Ham are all believed to be pursuing Abdul Majeed Waris.

According to the Daily Mail, Celtic and West Ham United are both interested in signing Lorient forward Abdul Majeed Waris, with Brighton and Fulham also keen.

Waris, 25, once had trials with Manchester City during his time at Hartpury College, but he failed to gain a work permit and instead headed to Sweden, where he smashed 30 goals in 63 games before a torrid spell in Russia with Spartak Moscow.

The Ghanaian's up and down career saw him thrive on loan with Valenciennes in 2014, scoring nine goals in 16 games, but then struggled in Turkey having joined Trabzonspor after the World Cup in Brazil.

A 2015 move back to France with Lorient has brought the best out of Waris once again, hitting 21 goals in 58 games for the Ligue 1 side – and his exploits appear to have triggered interest, after his nine-goal campaign last season.

The Daily Mail claim that Brighton, Celtic, Fulham and West Ham are all pursuing Waris' signature before this month's transfer deadline, believing that he is available for a fee of just £9million.

Waris possesses blistering pace as well as versatility to play either up front or out wide, and that could fit in perfectly with what Celtic are looking for, after manager Brendan Rodgers told The Scottish Herald that he's looking for a versatile forward who can fill both roles.

However, the £9million fee may be a little beyond Celtic right now, and that could allow Premier League sides Brighton and West Ham to scrap for his signature.

Brighton are in the market for a pacey attacker having failed with a move for Gent's Moses Simon, whilst West Ham may also appreciate the versatility of Waris, especially given question marks over Diafra Sakho's future.

http://ghanasoccernet.com/brighton-celtic-and-west-ham-chasing-majeed-waris

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney reveals why he never wanted to leave Fulham, despite Newcastle United's interest

Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez rates Tom Cairney but the Magpies were quoted a staggering £20m for the midfielder in January

Former Newcastle United target Tom Cairney insists he never wanted to leave Fulham for the North East because he is "settled" in London.

The Magpies made an enquiry for the midfielder ahead of the January window and were quoted a staggering £20million, while United also held an interest in the Scotland international earlier this summer too.

However, Cairney signed a new four-year contract at Craven Cottage last month, and he has since been named as the west London club's captain.

Despite being a player Rafa Benitez wanted to bring to St James' Park, Cairney is adamant he did not want to leave the capital at any stage.

"I love London, I do not want to move. It is a great place to live and I have settled quickly," Cairney told The London Evening Standard when he was asked about Newcastle's previous interest.

"I love life on and off the pitch and when you are happy you play your best football. You cannot put a price on happiness.

"If you are happy and you come into training with a smile on your face, you will always keep improving. It is something I did all of last season and I will look to do the same this season."

Tom Cairney of Fulham (Image: Getty Images Europe)

"For the first time in a long time I was playing in my position. A lot of managers have played me on the right-wing. I see myself as a central-midfielder.

"And playing as part of a three with Kevin [McDonald] and Stefan [Johansen] I had a lot of freedom to get on the ball and play."

Fulham lost to Reading in the Championship play-off semi-finals last summer, with the Cottagers having impressed throughout the season with their attacking style.

And now Cairney intends to use the pain of losing in the play-offs as motivation to lead the Cottagers back to the Premier League this term.

"I was delighted to sign the new deal. It has been the best time of my career down in London," Cairney added.

"Last season was the standout season in my career. I really like where the club are going and, hopefully, we can go one step further this season.

"Can we use last season as motivation? It is hard because it is such a long season and no two are the same. But the dream is to get Fulham back into the Premier League, where I think they deserve to be. To do it would be special."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tom-cairney-reveals-never-wanted-13431270

WhiteJC

Unfinished Business

After last season's Play-Off pain, Tomas Kalas tells Saturday's new-look matchday programme of his 'unfinished business' at the Cottage.

Kalas returned to Fulham for a second season-long loan from neighbours Chelsea last month and is the main interview for the opening day visit of Norwich City.

"Obviously there's a sense of unfinished business for me with Fulham after last season," says Kalas. "It took some time, but finally I'm here and ready for the season.

"Again, it's going to be about who can get that momentum first and keep it going for as long as they can. All the teams have good players. Hull and Middlesbrough will be strong. But anything can happen in this league."

To read the full interview with Kalas, in which he also discusses his Chelsea future, John Terry, and World Cup hopes, get your hands on the programme on Saturday.

Other highlights from the magazine include:

Chairman Shahid Khan looks ahead to a successful season for the Whites, on and off the pitch
    Slaviša Jokanović backs his side to achieve even better things this time around
    New skipper Tom Cairney speaks of his honour at being handed the captaincy full-time
    Viv Busby revisits his spells with Fulham and Norwich
    Cauley Woodrow takes our new nine-dart challenge
    Ray Houghton picks his Fulham 'Dream Team'
    Brede Hangeland talks us through a Fulham-related picture involving him
    And Gordon Davies returns with a regular column

With more new features than ever before and a revamped look, the size of the programme has been reduced to make it more pocket friendly, while the number of pages has increased to give you real value for money. It's the essential companion to your matchday.

Priced £3.50, the 100-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster where you can also purchase an annual subscription.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags from 9am on Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/04/kalas-programme-norwich

WhiteJC

Match Previews
In Focus: Fulham

Norwich City kick off their 2017-18 Sky Bet Championship campaign with an away trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Here's a closer look at what City fans can expect from their opponents at the weekend.

Summer signings
ulham made arguably their biggest signing of the summer transfer window last week when they signed 22-year-old French striker Aboubakar Kamara from Ligue 1 side Amiens.

Kamara scored 11 goals in 29 games last season as the French club secured promotion to the top flight for the first time in their history. His £5m transfer was manager Slavisa Jokanovic's sixth summer signing, added to the arrivals of Marcelo Djalo, Lucas Piazon, Oliver Norwood, Tomas Kalas and Belgian defensive midfielder Ibrahima Cisse.

Cisse joined the club from Standard Liege for a fee of around £2.1 million in July and could make his debut for the Cottagers against City on Saturday. The 23-year-old is an U21 international with Belgium and scored in the 2016-17 Europa League for his former club when they beat Panathinaikos 3-0 in the group stages.

Key players
Floyd Ayite (below) scored the third goal in Fulham's victory at Carrow Road last season and was instrumental in their terrific campaign which almost ended in promotion. The Togo international winger grabbed nine goals and seven assists in 35 appearances last year and proved to be a hugely influential player in Fulham's best season since 2014.

Another source of Fulham's creativity last season was captain Tom Cairney. He, too, scored in the 3-1 win over the Canaries and was named EFL Player of the Year at the London Football Awards in March. Cairney made his Scotland international debut last season, five years after his previous outing on the international stage with the U21s which outlines the extent to which he impressed in 2016-17.

Fulham are also a force at the back and on-loan defender Tomas Kalas has become a real asset to Jokanovic's defence. Kalas played 36 times for the Cottagers last season and scored once, while helping his team keep ten clean sheets in games he played.

Fulham decided to take the Czech defender back on loan for this season and his place at the heart of the back four is almost a certainty ahead of the new campaign.

Canary connections
There are several connections between the two clubs, with the most relevant at the moment being City's new left-back James Husband.

Husband, 23, signed for the Canaries from Middlesbrough in July and played 17 times for the Cottagers while on loan there in 2015.

Suffolk-born Chris Martin, who made 117 appearances for City between 2006 and 2013, spent much of last season on loan from Derby County. He scored 10 times including once against the Canaries in the 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage in November. Martin was also sent off in the return fixture.

Ex-Norwich midfielder and manager Peter Grant is currently head coach of Fulham's U23s squad, who will be taking on the young Canaries at the end of October.

In the squad
Goalkeepers: Marcus Bettinelli, David Button.
Defenders: Ryan Fredericks, Ryan Sessegnon, Denis Odoi, Tim Ream, Michael Madl, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Marcelo Djalo, Tomas Kalas.
Midfielders: Kevin McDonald, Neeskens Kebano, Stefan Johansen, Tom Cairney, Oliver Norwood, Ibrahima Cisse.
Forwards: Floyd Ayite, Cauley Woodrow, Lucas Piazon, Sone Aluko, Aboubakar Kamara.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/august/inside-track-fulham/

WhiteJC

Norwich In Focus

Read up on Saturday's opponents Norwich City ahead of our 2017/18 Sky Bet Championship opener.
Possible opposition absentees

Steven Naismith – suspended

Ivo Pinto – hamstring injury

Josh Murphy – calf injury

Russell Martin – leg injury

Timm Klose – leg injury

Harry Toffolo – muscle injury

Louis Thompson – Achilles injury

Alex Pritchard – ankle injury
Tickets

Tickets for this match are still available to buy, priced from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors - supporters are reminded of a £5 price increase on matchday. Fans who have yet to receive their new 2017/18 season ticket cards are advised to contact the Ticket Office to arrange for a one-off paper ticket to be printed.
Weather

The forecast predicts a 40 per cent chance of rain in the build-up to kick-off, but it should be dry thereafter. Temperatures around 19 degrees.
He said...

"Fulham have a similar philosophy to us; last season I think they had the most possession in the league. We know what type of team they are and what to expect. We are well prepared and will try to bring our ideas to the pitch." - Daniel Farke, Norwich City head coach
Grosvenor Casinos match odds

Fulham: 49/50

Draw: 5/2

Norwich: 13/5
Grosvenor Casinos special odds

Fulham to win the league: 10/1

Fulham to win promotion: 10/3
Last five results

Cambridge United 0-2 Norwich City (Friendly)

MSV Duisburg 0-2 Norwich City (Friendly)

Arminia Bielefeld 1-3 Norwich City (Friendly)

Charlton Athletic 0-2 Norwich City (Friendly)

Norwich City 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (Friendly)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/04/norwich-in-focus

WhiteJC

Fulham star ruled out of Norwich opener with injury

The Whites stopper pulled a hamstring against Wolfsburg in their final pre-season friendly

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has been ruled out of their season opener at home to Norwich.

The Whites stopper pulled a hamstring against Wolfsburg in their final pre-season friendly.

Although Slavisa Jokanovic had hoped he would be fit, Bettinelli has been ruled out meaning David Button is set to line up on opening day. There was better news as Tom Cairney, Neeskens Kebano and Kevin McDonald are all available.

"Right now, we're going to stay without Marcus Bettinelli. It's a massive problem. He's not available for the start of the season.

"We don't know how long. We'll assess and expect he'll be available to help us soon."

Fulham are going into the game highly fancied against a Norwich side who are seen as an unknown quantity.

Jokanovic added: "Norwich is a team like us who want to be a Premier League team next season. They are a quality team with important players.

"I remember the last time we met at Craven Cottage where (Cameron) Jerome caused us problems.

"They used a different style such as three at the back. We'll see what we can expect tomorrow.

"There's a new coach and extra motivation for the Norwich players. We have shown in the past that we play good football and want to repeat."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-star-ruled-out-norwich-13432509