1 - 0 Brentford
Wolves
1 - 0 Middlesborough
Aston Villa
1 - 1 Hull

WhiteJC

Fulham denied win by late Norwich equaliser

Fulham 1 Norwich 1

Fulham were denied an opening-day victory by Nelson Oliveira's equaliser two minutes from time.

The Whites had led from the 25th minute, when Floyd Ayite's cross-cum-shot clipped the leg of Norwich skipper Russell Martin, wrong-footing keeper Angus Gunn.

Neeskens Kebano hit the post in the second half but the Canaries snatched a point when Oliveira latched on to a lofted pass from Wes Hoolahan and beat the advancing David Button.

Having started the game brightly, Fulham were twice fortunate to survive in the first half when Marco Vrancic and Marley Watkins – two of Norwich's seven debutants – both missed good chances from 12 yards out.

And the Whites made them pay, albeit in slightly fortunate circumstances, when Ayite burned past a defender and sent the ball into the net via Martin.

Both sides had chances in a busy end to the first half. Gunn blocked from Ryan Fredericks and Sone Aluko, while at the other end, Vrancic and James Maddison sent efforts just over the crossbar.

Ayite curled an effort narrowly off target shortly after the break, before Kebano hit the base of the far post having cut inside Yanic Wildschut.

But Norwich remained a threat on the counter, and Watkins should have done better than to sidefoot straight at Button after being fed by Vrancic.

Just after the hour mark, Slavisa Jokanovic introduced two of his summer signings – Ibrahima Cisse and Aboubakar Kamara – and the latter got the crowd on its feet after he left Marcel Franke on the deck with a couple of twists and turns, only to fire into the side netting.

But it was two of Norwich's substitutes who had the final say, Hoolahan's cute pass releasing Oliveira, who got the wrong side of Tomas Kalas before scoring.

Fulham: Button; Fredericks, Ream, Kalas, Sessegnon (Odoi 70); Cairney, Norwood (Cisse 63), Johansen; Kebano, Aluko, Ayite (Kamara 63).
Subs not used: Rodak, Edun, Madl, Piazon.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-denied-win-by-late-norwich-city-equaliser

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Norwich City 1: Nelson Oliveira's late strike salvages a fine point in Daniel Farke's first match in charge of the Canaries

Daniel Farke's reign as Norwich City head coach has got off to a fine start, thanks to a late equaliser from Nelson Oliveira against promotion hopefuls Fulham.

An unfortunate own goal from City skipper Russell Martin in the 25th minute was poised to settle a lively encounter but substitutes Wes Hoolahan and striker Oliveira linked up to snatch a point for the Canaries in the 88th minute.

It means City's search for a first win at Craven Cottage since New Year's Day 1986 continues but the travelling fans didn't remotely care about that hoodoo on this occasion, savouring an exciting end to an intense encounter.

Farke named seven of his eight senior signings in the starting line-up at Craven Cottage, with Hoolahan, Ivo Pinto and Josh Murphy also fit enough for the substitutes bench.

Loan keeper Angus Gunn started with German centre-backs Christoph Zimmermann and Marcel Franke in front of him, as well as James Husband at left wing-back.

Southampton loanee Harrison Reed anchored the midfield, with Bosnia & Herzegovina international Mario Vrancic in a more advanced midfield role and Marley Watkins in support of striker Cameron Jerome.

Fulham started the brighter but it was City with the best early chances, James Maddison and Marley Watkins both seeing shots saved in the opening 20 minutes as the visitors warmed to their task.

It was the home side who took the lead their lively build-up play deserved though, with City defender Russell Martin the unlucky goal-scorer.

Yanic Wildschut couldn't stop Floyd Ayite getting past him on the left and the winger's low cross came off Martin's standing heel to deflect past Angus Gunn from six yards as Fulham took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute.

The hosts were rampant down either wing but City survived more pressure, with Zimmermann a prominent defensive asset, although Vrancic and Maddison did fire over as Norwich continued to look capable in attack ahead of half-time.

Maddison bent a free-kick a yard over the bar early in the second half but the Cottagers retained their dominance and were unlucky not to go 2-0 up in the 53rd minute when Neeskens Kebano cut in from the left and lashed a shot against the foot of the right-hand post from 15 yards.

Three minutes later Marley Watkins wasted a fine chance with a weak finish from 10 yards. Farke made his first change in the 59th minute, bringing on Josh Murphy for Wildschut and switching from a 3-5-2 formation to a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Watkins moving to the right and Nelson Oliveira replacing Jerome up front a few minutes later.

Substitute striker Aboubakar Kamara, a £5million signing from French side Amiens, fired into the side-netting in the 73rd minute after twisting and turning under pressure from Franke in the City box.

The Cottagers remained in control but Murphy set Husband away on the left in the 76th minute, his long cross being thumped goalwards by Martin and clearly hitting the flailing arm of substitute left-back Denis Odoi, only for the referee to wave away the impassioned claims for a penalty from the Canaries fans behind the Fulham goal.

Hoolahan replaced Reed for the final 10 minutes, with Vrancic dropping deeper in midfield, as City went in search of an equaliser. Oliveira and Husband exchanged a one-two on the edge of the Fulham box but a low effort from the striker was easily held by Button.

Oliveira would be the hero though, getting on the end of a fine through-ball from Hoolahan to run into the box and fire a low shot which sent the travelling support into raptures, with the Portuguese front-man running to Farke holding his shirt with his name facing his new boss seeking recognition and earning a booking in the process.

Farke didn't seem to mind though as the striker salvaged an excellent point on his first day in Championship football.

Next up for City is a return to Carrow Road on Tuesday night, taking on Swindon Town in the Carabao Cup first round.

Fulham: Button; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Sessegnon (Odoi 70); Johansen, Cairney (C), Norwood (Cisse 63); Aluko, Ayite (Kamara 63), Kebano. Unused subs: Rodak (GK), Madl, Piazon, Edun.

Goal: OG Martin (25)

Booked: Cairney (66), Johansen (85)

Norwich: Gunn; Martin (C), Zimmermann, Franke; Wildschut (Murphy 59), Maddison, Reed (Hoolahan 80), Vrancic, Husband; Watkins, Jerome (Oliveira 64). Unused subs: McGovern (GK), Pinto, Godfrey, Tettey.

Goal: Oliveira (88)

Booked: Oliveira (89), Maddison (90+4)

Referee: Robert Jones

Attendance: 20,134

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/fulham-1-norwich-city-1-nelson-oliveira-s-late-strike-salvages-a-fine-point-in-daniel-farke-s-first-match-in-charge-of-the-canaries-1-5136831

WhiteJC

Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from Norwich City's 1-1 Championship draw against Fulham

Our Norwich City correspondent Paddy Davitt delivers his snap verdict from Craven Cottage

1. Fighting spirit - Daniel Farke and Stuart Webber have both made it clear togetherness is a key strand of their new philosophy. City have a younger squad with fewer options to select, compounded by a current injury list that is testing the German's resources to the limit. Norwich were pummelled for long spells at Craven Cottage by a slick home side. But they refused to buckle and hit back with Nelson Oliveira smashing home Wes Hoolahan's exquisite pass. Oliveira's celebration was perhaps a reminder to his boss this is a man who is not keen on warming the subs' bench, but this was not a one-man salvage operation. Daniel Farke's troops will find out much more about themselves and each other in the white hot heat of battle than in any number of pre-season friendlies or training drills. This is money in the bank.

2. Context is everything - Fulham looked like a team that has been developing over the past 12 months. Last season's play-off contenders have kept their key men and added one or two signings to a group who all know their jobs and the demands placed on them by Slavisa Jokanovic. City were hanging on at times but given the huge turnover in players and staff, plus the injuries, this was a reminder how far they have to go to compete at the top end. Where you would expect the Whites to be.

3. Defensive concerns persist - Farke's tactical switch midway through the first half was a tacit acceptance City's back three had been woefully under-protected by the men in front of them. The regularity with which Fulham raided down the sides of the Norwich backline, capped by the soft nature of Fulham's goal, brought back painful memories of similarly weak defensive displays on the road last season. This is a new start. This is a major change but the questions will linger about the Canaries' capacity to resist.

4. Midfield mix - Part of the issue perhaps at Craven Cottage stemmed from a midfield brimming with creative intent. James Maddison instead of Alex Tettey was a bold selection call from Farke. Given he had included both Harrison Reed and Vrancic. The space afforded Fulham's midfield in the most frenetic spells to roam forward was troubling. Norwich's commitment to possession football and a clear identity is commendable but it will take more of these type of tests for Farke to hone his brand.

5. The phoney war is over - Unbeaten in pre-season is one thing. Back pedalling in the face of a Fulham storm in a breathless opening 20 minutes at Craven Cottage is quite something else. Mario Vrancic was visibly blowing as the white tide poured forward. He was not the only one in yellow. Farke was pains to stress he would not go 'too deep' with results in meaningless affairs designed to build fitness and understanding between a new look squad. Nor would he seek to hide behind an injury list that deprived him of Alex Pritchard and effectively Hoolahan and Ivo Pinto for the Championship opener. Nevertheless the tempo and the energy and the urgency were a complete transformation from the close season tussles. Yes, it will take time for things to gel. But City must get up to speed. Quickly.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/paddy-s-pointers-five-observations-from-norwich-city-s-1-1-championship-draw-against-fulham-1-5136841

WhiteJC

Konami announce "exclusive" PES 2017 partnership with Fulham FC

Konami have teamed up with Fulham FC for PES 2018, which includes sponsoring the club's youth team.

"Konami has announced it has entered an exclusive global partnership with Fulham FC, one of London's oldest and most iconic clubs, for its Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series," the publisher say in a press release.

"Fulham were founded in 1879 and are London's oldest professional football club. Having just missed out on promotion last season, the club are looking to the new season to build on their progress of the last few years and the club's reputation for the development of talented young players."

What does this actually mean for the game itself? Well, the full Fulham team have been body-scanned and added to the game, there's PES 2018 branding throughout the ground, kit branding, and Konami can take their family and friends to watch the games. Okay, so I made up that latter bit, but it's true. Probably.

They'll also be "taking over" Fulham's Family Zone, with "gaming set-ups showcasing the club's inclusion in-game available for young fans to experience."

PES 2018 will also be available with a Fulham FC slipcase.

"The full squad will be recreated in game with all kits and players to be perfectly replicated via Konami's full body-scanning process, while Konami will also have an extensive presence within the club's stadium, as part of the match day experience, and within the club's progressive youth academy," Konami add.

PES 2018 is out on September 14, 2017. It took three years to make, and Konami say that means there will be some big changes with hopes of a quality PC port this time around.

And yeah, I know the cover picture shows Liverpool, not Fulham, but Fulham aren't even in the Premiership. Yeah, that's right, I said it.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pro-evolution-soccer-2017/pro-evolution-soccer-2017-konami-fulham-fc-partnership

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Speaking at the post-match press conference, Fulham's Head Coach Slavisa Jokanovic expressed his frustration over Norwich's 88th minute equaliser.

"You're always disappointed when your opponent equalises late in the game," Jokanović reflected. "I'm a little bit hurt that we conceded at this stage and a little bit frustrated about the goal. From my position, I don't think the goal we conceded was legal, but I can't guarantee it without analysing the situation again.

"We weren't fresh enough to find a little more power during the game, and started losing the ball more in the last 20 minutes. We needed to push harder and be stronger off the ball.

"Norwich started to play between us, so I tried to find a more aggressive and stronger solution in midfield with Cisse. They created many problems on the left side, so I put on Denis Odoi to try and fix the problem."

"I can see we're on a similar level to last season. We weren't clinical in the important moments. We could've killed the game and we didn't."

Despite the late equaliser, Fulham's Head Coach was pleased with the efforts of the team's new arrivals.

"I'm satisfied with the new players as they've showed great desire and are working hard," he said. "I believe Oliver Norwood played a very good sixty minutes, and moved the ball well.

"Kamara has only had four sessions with us, but he's already shown that he's a strong and fast man.

"Norwood, Kamara and Cisse all can offer us characteristics that we've been missing."

Kevin McDonald missed the game with a calf problem, but the midfielder should be available for selection in the near future.

"We thought he would be available today, but we checked on him this morning and he wasn't ready. We'll continue to assess him and expect he'll soon be available to help us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/05/head-coach-reaction-norwich

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Norwich City 1 reaction: Daniel Farke has no problem with Nelson Oliveira's outburst

Daniel Farke wants to see more of the angry Nelson Oliveira after the Portuguese's pointed goal celebration following his equaliser in a 1-1 opening day Championship draw at Craven Cottage.

Cameron Jerome got the nod ahead of Oliveira to start at Fulham but the frontman made his point in emphatic fashion with a cool late finish to cancel out Russell Martin's unfortunate first half own goal.

Oliveira was booked in the aftermath for taking off his shirt and racing towards Farke to show the German head coach his name on the back. Farke embraced Oliviera, who continued to make his point before Josh Murphy ushered him back onto the field of play.

"Yes, for sure, I don't go too deep with it. He is a Portuguese guy and very emotional and passionate," said Farke. "When I think back to my own career I was angry when I didn't play and if I scored I would show my shirt to the coach and even throw it at his feet. For that, it was really kind of him. I know when he comes on he can score. If he wants to give me a sign that is okay. He had a very good performance in the final 20 minutes when he came on. He is a good guy, a good character and sometimes emotions burn in him a little bit. No problems, I am really content with Nelson and his movement.

"I think it is quite normal. All the players should want to play 90 minutes in nearly 60 games, hopefully, but it is not possible. One of our greatest strengths is to have two of the best strikers in the league. You only have to recognise the record of Cameron Jerome. Nelson has quality but it was a clear decision to start with Cameron on the pitch because we had such a young team. In the beginning we needed his presence and working style. I thought it might be better for Nelson when the opponent is a little bit more exhausted and more space. It was the right decision to do this."

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/fulham-1-norwich-city-1-reaction-daniel-farke-has-no-problem-with-nelson-oliveira-s-outburst-1-5136872

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets

Fulham return to Craven Cottage on Saturday 19th August as Sheffield Wednesday visit SW6 (kick-off 3pm).

The Whites will be looking to pick up all three points in our second home game of the 17/18 campaign, and you can be there to watch all the action with tickets now on General Sale.

Secure your seat today with prices starting from £30 adults and £15 juniors.

Tickets are available to purchase online now, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

COYW!

Ticket Office open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/05/sheffield-wednesday-tickets

WhiteJC

Jokanovic expects McDonald to return soon

Slavisa Jokanovic says he expects Kevin McDonald to return "soon" from a calf injury that kept him out of the 1-1 draw with Norwich City.

The former Wolves midfielder also missed the final pre-season friendly with Wolfsburg but had been expected to be fit to face the Canaries.

However, Jokanovic said McDonald failed a fitness test on the morning of the game.

The Whites boss said: "We expected yesterday he would be available but when we checked him this morning he wasn't available for play today. We expect he will soon be available to help us."

Jokanovic said that, although he had not seen a replay, he felt the Norwich equaliser, scored by Nelson Oliveira, should have been disallowed for offside.

But he said his side did not deserve more than a point for their display and was not happy with the number of chances the Canaries created down their right-hand side, against left-back Ryan Sessegnon, who was taken off after an hour.

"We found many problems on our left side in the first half. They created a few chances and didn't score," Jokanovic said.

"They complained about a possible penalty. I can complain about offside when they scored the goal. But that's not a solution for us.

"To be honest we didn't work enough for different reasons. I made the changes to find more power but I didn't find it.

"We needed to push harder. We needed to be stronger. If you arrive [ahead] two minutes before the end you must be focused and do everything to avoid the situation we found today."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-explains-mcdonald-absence-sessegnons-struggle

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Norwich City PLAYER RATINGS - The verdicts on Sessegnon, Button and Kalas after Canaries draw

Fulham player ratings... Do you agree?

A last-gasp goal from Norwich City denied Fulham all three points from their season opener.

The first goal at Craven Cottage in the 2017-18 season went the way of Fulham on 25 minutes but it wasn't scored by a Cottagers' player. Floyd Ayite's cross from the left panicked the visiting defence and Canaries skipper Russell Martin turned the ball into his own net.

It looked like the game would be a home win but with 88 minutes on the clock, Norwich substitute Nelson Oliveira got the better of his marker and slid the ball under the advancing David Button from close range to level the score.

But how did the Fulham team fare? We take a look at the individual performances... do you agree?

Fulham team versus Norwich City plater ratings-

David Button - If he was aware of those supporters unhappy he was playing he didn't show it in his performance. Looked confident and assured in his handling and kicking. Couldn't have done anything about the equaliser. 7

Ryan Fredericks - Crossing wasn't perfect all the time and a bit clumsy with his arms, but did the job defensively. 6

Ryan Sessegnon – Found himself at sea in the early stages, with most of the Norwich threat coming down the right but grew into the game. Not at his sparkling best. Subbed on 69 minutes for Odoi. 6

Neeskens Kebano – Slow start but got better as the game went on. Showed signs of some promising relationships. 7

Stefan Johansen – Lots of running but things didn't seem to go his way. 7

Tom Cairney – Good, early season display for the Fulham captain. 8

Floyd Ayite – Cross for the opener caused problems. Not everything worked out but he proved a real handful for the visiting defence. Subbed on 63 minutes for Kamara. 8

Tim Ream – Worked hard at the back. 7

Oliver Norwood – Good passing and helped Fulham retain the ball but not sure about his highlighted blonde quiff. A tidy display in the centre and is likely to only improve as he gets to know his new team-mates better. Subbed on 63 minutes for Cisse. 7

Sone Aluko – Worked hard down the wing but was guilty of some wayward end product. 7

Tomas Kalas – Dealt with Norwich well for 88 minutes but should have been closer to Oliveira for the late, late equaliser. 6

Substitutes:

Marek Rodak

Denis Odoi (on for Sessegnon, 69) – Close to conceding a penalty. 6

Michael Madl

Lucas Piazon

Adetayo Edun

Ibrahima Cisse (on for Norwood, 63) – Fresh legs. 6

Aboubakar Kamara (on for Ayite, 63) – Looked bright on his debut. Possibly should have passed move in the box though. 7

Attendance: 20,134

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-vs-norwich-city-player-13437615

WhiteJC

Fulham Eye This Exciting Attacker From France: Can He Win Them The Championship?

Fulham have been under pressure to perform well in the forthcoming season after they lost their semi final clash against Reading in the Championship playoff in the last term. The Whites finished the season in the sixth position in the League table and will be looking to improve their performance in order to head back into the Premier League.

The Championship club has been linked with a number of players, who have been playing well for their respective clubs in the last term. They are willing to bring in a number of new players in order to revamp the side and one name that is right on the top of their target list for the next season is that of the Ghanaian striker Abdul Majid Waris, who is currently playing for the Ligue 1 side FC Lorient.

http://the4thofficial.net/2017/08/fulham-eye-exciting-attacker-france-can-win-championship/

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Norwich 1: Slavisa Jokanovic not happy as misfiring Cottagers blow big chance

FULHAM chairman Shahid Khan said in his programme notes that boss Slavisa Jokanovic is not a happy man.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is frustrated by the lack of transfer activity

And the Serb had even more to moan about yesterday after a late Norwich equaliser denied his side a winning start to their Championship campaign.

Substitute Nelson Oliveira provided the finishing touch to Wes Hoolahan's 88th-minute pass to give the Canaries a deserved share of the points.

Jokanovic is fast building a reputation for himself and he took Fulham – arguably the best footballing side in the Championship last season – to the play-offs in May, only to lose out to Reading.

But he has been left frustrated by the lack of transfer activity this summer – as Khan well knows – and the Cottagers' lack of firepower cost them yesterday.

Norwich arrived having not won at Craven Cottage since 1986 but they never backed down in a thrilling game that was a great advert for the Championship.

The ball was rarely passed over shoulder height, with both teams launching attacks from all over the pitch.

Fulham were the better side overall but their finishing let them down and at the other end keeper David Button had to be at his best to deny the visitors.

Jokanovic's side did take the lead in the 26th minute, when Floyd Ayite beat Yanic Wildschut on the left and crossed only for the ball to bounce into the net off Norwich skipper Russell Martin's heel.

Fulham were full of ideas and pacey moves and if they could find a consistent finisher they would be unstoppable.

Norwich keeper Angus Gunn saved superbly low down from Sone Aluko in the 38th minute as the home side continued to surge forward.

And Neeskens Kebano fired in a 53rd-minute shot that rocketed back off a post.

Norwich did not deserve to lose, though, and a late flurry saw Oliveira rescue a point.

A frustrated Jokanovic said: "It is clearly a similar situation from last season where we created chances and did not finish them off.

"I have not read my chairman's notes but I will do now. I wanted new players but we did not get them like Aston Villa and others did.

"But I am happy in England and it is important we move forward. I made changes because we needed to find goals."

New Norwich boss Daniel Farke said: "We showed character. I am content. To get a point from one of the hardest opponents in this league is a good job. A lot of teams will get nothing here.

"This is my first game in English football and I loved it. A really good game, wonderful atmosphere."

The German added: "Fulham were better for long periods and we could have crumbled but we didn't and we deserved the goal.

"I am really proud of the guys. I am content and positive.

"I liked what my subs did. When I was a player I showed my shirt to the manager and said give me a chance. This is what my subs did today.

"Fulham say our goal was offside and I say we should have had a penalty. It evens out."

FULHAM: Button; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, R. Sessegnon (Odoi 69th); Johansen; Aluko, Cairney, Norwood (Cisse 63rd), Ayite (Kamara 63rd) Kebano

NORWICH: Gunn; Husband, Wildschut, Martin, Zimmerman, Franke; Reed (Hoolahan 80th); Vrancic, Maddison, Jerome (Oliveira 64th), Watkins

STAR MAN: Nelson Oliveira

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/635264/Fulham-v-Norwich-1-Slavisa-Jokanovic-Cottagers-Canaries-Nelson-Oliveira-Wes-Hoolahan

WhiteJC

Nelson makes his point for Norwich
by Dan on August 6, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic's scowl at the final whistle made you wonder just what sort of tirade he might unleash at the Fulham players when he reached the dressing room. His side, who had started with energy and purpose, wilted during the second half, allowing an impressive and adventurous Norwich outfit back into a contest from which they may have been removed and the visitors' equaliser was coming long before substitute Nelson Oliveira made his point to new Canaries' coach Daniel Farke with two minutes to go.

Jokanovic was insistent that the Portuguese forward was offside when Wes Hoolahan floated a beautiful ball over a very square Fulham defence – and Ryan Fredericks was booked for a ferocious protest after Oliveira had calmly slid the ball past David Button – but the Serbian would have been much more upset with the way Fulham ceded the initiative in the final quarter of the game. The visitors were enlivened by the arrival of Jacob Murphy and Hoolahan, who needed less than nine minutes to display his enduring class despite missing most of pre-season through injuries, and had only been desperate blocks from Tomas Kalas and Denis Odoi – whose repelling of Russell Martin's fierce drive was adjudged ball to hand by the referee – that had preserved Fulham's lead.

Jokanovic had selected Oliver Norwood at the base of the Fulham midfield after Kevin McDonald failed a late fitness test and arguably the game turned once the Brighton loanee was bafflingly withdrawn after an hour. Fulham began brightly with Stefan Johansen spurning two good chances inside the first eight minutes, but were then indebted to Button for keeping things level. The former Brentford goalkeeper made light of a nervy pre-season to produce two excellent saves to deny Norwich's new signing Marley Watkins from close range – and was perhaps Fulham's man of the match. He might have been beaten by Mario Vrancic, but the German scooped an effort over the bar from ten yards after fabulous play from Yanic Wildschut.

A pulsating contest swung from end-to-end. Fulham were getting plenty of joy down the left through Floyd Ayite and Ryan Sessegnon's regular raids forward and it was from that avenue that the opening goal arrived. Some clever footwork from Ayite saw him trick his way into the Norwich box and advance along the byline. The Togo winger's low cross looked dangerous area even before it was diverted beyond Angus Gunn by the unfortunate Martin to give Fulham the lead. The Whites could have doubled their advantage shortly afterwards but Gunn saved smartly from Ryan Fredericks and the Canaries defenders scrambled the rebound away from Sone Aluko.

The home side thought they had doubled their lead right at the start of the second half but Aluko's close range was ruled out after an offside flag ruled out some lovely interplay between Fredericks and Ayite – and Jokanovic's charges went agonisingly close again when Neeskens Kebano drifted inside and rolled a left-footed shot off the inside of the far post with Gunn well beaten. Aboubakar Kamara was given half an hour to make his debut and, for someone without much English and just four days of training behind him, he showed more than enough to suggest he could be a handful in the Championship. He sent one shot into the side netting which he could have squared for the waiting Cairney, but there was plenty to like about his pace and intelligent movement.

The frustration was that Fulham failed to give the Frenchman enough to work with up front. Instead, they were gradually sitting deeper in effort to soak up the Norwich pressure. The Whites gave the likes of Vrancic and James Maddison far too much room to pick a pass in front of them and when that opportunity was afforded to someone of Hoolahan's quality, it proved fatal. The Irish international floated a fine ball between Tomas Kalas and Tim Ream, Oliveira – who had replaced the ineffectual Cameron Jerome – chested it down brilliantly and made light of three defenders attempting to crowd him out to roll home the finish. His celebrations were wild and directed towards Falke as he removed his shirt on his way to the Norwich bench, but the Canaries' new German coach was anything but angry. The thunderous disposition belonged to his opposite number.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Button; Fredericks, Sessegnon (Odoi 70), Kalas, Ream; Norwood (Cisse 63), Johansen, Cairney; Kebano, Ayite (Kamara 63). Subs (not used): Rodak, Madl, Edun, Piazon.

BOOKED: Cairney, Johansen, Fredericks.

GOAL: R. Martin (o.g. 25).

NORWICH CITY (5-3-2): Gunn; Wildschut (Murphy 59), Husband, R. Martin, Zimmermann, Franke; Reed (Hoolahan 80), Maddison, Vrancic; Watkins, Jerome (Oliveira 64). Subs (not used): McGovern, Pinto, Tettey, Godfrey.

BOOKED: Maddison, Oliveira.

GOAL: Oliveira (88).

REFEREE: James Linnington (Isle of Wight).

ATTENDANCE: 20,134.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/nelson-makes-his-point-for-norwich/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic rues Fulham's familiar failings
by Dan on August 6, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic cut a frustrated figure after Fulham conceded a late equaliser to draw with Norwich in their opening Championship encounter – and the Serbian head coach bemoaned both the lack of an offside flag to rule out Nelson Oliveira's late strike and Fulham's failure to put the game away.

Speaking to the press following the final whistle, the Fulham head coach said:

You're always disappointed when your opponent equalises late in the game. I'm a little bit hurt that we conceded at this stage and a little bit frustrated about the goal. From my position, I don't think the goal we conceded was legal, but I can't guarantee it without analysing the situation again.

We weren't fresh enough to find a little more power during the game, and started losing the ball more in the last 20 minutes. We needed to push harder and be stronger off the ball. Norwich started to play between us, so I tried to find a more aggressive and stronger solution in midfield with Cisse. They created many problems on the left side, so I put on Denis Odoi to try and fix the problem.

I can see we're on a similar level to last season. We weren't clinical in the important moments. We could've killed the game and we didn't.

Jokanovic had warm words of praise for Fulham's new arrivals – three of whom featured in the first fixture.

I'm satisfied with the new players as they've showed great desire and are working hard. I believe Oliver Norwood played a very good sixty minutes, and moved the ball well. Kamara has only had four sessions with us, but he's already shown that he's a strong and fast man. Norwood, Kamara and Cisse all can offer us characteristics that we've been missing.

He confirmed that Kevin McDonald had been withdrawn from the matchday squad on the morning of the game due to further tightness in his calf.

We thought he would be available today, but we checked on him this morning and he wasn't ready. We'll continue to assess him and expect he'll soon be available to help us.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/jokanovic-rues-fulhams-familiar-failings/

WhiteJC

Fulham fans divided after new man's debut – 'Encouraging', 'looks dreadful'

Fulham fans had to make do with a point from the club's first Championship game of the 2017-18 season, with the spoils shared with Norwich City in a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The hosts had taken the lead courtesy of a Russell Martin own goal, but a Nelson Oliveira equaliser two minutes from full time robbed Slavisa Jokanovic's men of an opening-day victory.

The Fulham supporters got the chance to see a number of the club's summer signings, with one name dominating the Cottagers' thoughts on Twitter after the game.

Aboubakar Kamara was signed from French side Amiens over the summer to add firepower to Jokanovic's options in the final third.

The 22-year-old striker netted ten Ligue 2 goals last season to help his former club get promoted to the top tier and his physical attributes certainly look impressive.

Kamara was named as a substitute for the game against Norwich, but the new man was given half an hour to show his new club what he was capable of, coming on for Floyd Ayite.

The striker was heavily involved in the remainder of the clash and had a number of chances to score the winner for Fulham.

His pace and power certainly caught the eye of the Craven Cottage faithful, with his stature also an impressive element to his game.

Most of the Fulham fans were impressed with the potential that Kamara offers, but others were quick to criticise him for a perceived selfishness and reluctance to pass the ball.

The Cottagers need a reliable number nine this term if they are to go one step better than last season and win promotion to the Premier League, with Jokanovic's men possessing plenty of quality in midfield to provide chances in the final third.

The jury seemingly remains out on whether Kamara is the man to get the goals that Fulham crave, with the contrasting views of the club's supporters on show on Twitter after the draw with Norwich.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-fans-divided-new-mans-debut-encouraging-looks-dreadful/