more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (07/08/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 07, 2017, 06:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Norwich City Review
My review of Fulham's opening match of the season.

Fulham celebrate the opening goal of the match. Fulham FC

Fulham

Some new players in the starting XI that are not ideal. Bettinelli is down with an injury so Button starts, and Norwood is in for the injured Kevin McDonald.

Norwich City
City XI vs Fulham: Gunn; Martin (c), Zimmermann, Franke; Wildschut, Reed, Husband; Vrancic, Maddison; Watkins; Jerome.

Norwich were without many of their star players including Klose, Pinto, and most importantly, Alex Pritchard.

First Half
Fulham started quickly with Ayite and Johansen having good chances to score. Johansen possibly should have looked to curl the ball to the back post, but he decided to unleash a stinging effort, which went a bit wide. Button then pulled off a series of quality saves in the next ten minutes. Fulham took the lead in the 24th minute with Ayite getting behind the Norwich defense, and drilling a cross off Russell Martin, which the found its way past Gunn into the net. Just after that, Fredericks raced past James Husband and only a great save by Gunn denied him of his first competitive goal for the club. Ayite and Aluko both had great chances to score, but neither could find the back of the net. No further action after those chances. We went into the break up 1-0, and definitely on the front foot of the match. Some significant problems being cause by players getting behind Sessegnon, and nobody closing them down, but the rest of the team has been great.

Second Half
Norwich started the second half well, creating in a couple chances culminating in a Maddison free-kick which flashed just over the bar. After that, we had our own chance in the form of Ayite with a brilliant curling effort that went inches over the bar. Kebano then turned Wildschut, and curled the ball off the far post. Watkins had another chance to level the game, but Button saved his effort. Aluko had two chances to score, but both would have been quite spectacular goals if scored. Norwich made two changes in quick succession, Murphy coming on for Wildschut, and Oliveira coming on for Jerome. Fulham countered by swapping Cisse for Norwood, and Kamara for Ayite. Oliveira almost was immediately involved after a Tim Ream slip, he put in a glorious ball that was just past the Norwich attacker. Tom Cairney was the first player in the book for a bad tackle on Maddison, but the free-kick came to nothing and Fulham cleared. In the 69th minute, Ryan Sessegnon was removed, and Dennis Odoi came on. Kamara has looked quick and strong so far, just as Jokanovic suggested. Kamara then had a great chance after a fabulous pass from Aluko, he twisted and turned before sending his effort into the side-netting. Kamara then received another pass and flashed the ball acrossed goal, but all we could get was a corner. Appeals from Norwich for a handball were not given, upon review it clearly struck Odoi's arm. Norwich had a free-kick, but Oliveira was optimistic if he thought he could beat Button. Harrison Reed went off in the 80', and Wes Hoolahan came on. Oliveira had another good chance, but he could not get enough power on the shot to beat Button. Kamara unleashed a curling effort after a good spell from Fulham, it would have been a goal of the season effort if it went in. Stefan Johansen got the second yellow card of the game after a block on Oliveira. Sone Aluko almost turned it into his own net after a freekick, but Fulham were punished for missing chance when Oliveira leveled the game on the 88th after a chipped ball over the top, and no offside was given. Cairney sent an ambitious effort over the top of the bar as time winded down, and the game ended at 1-1.

Reflection
A game we should have won, but Norwich taught us a lesson which we will take into the rest of the season. We were undoubtedly the better team, but we were not clinical enough with our chances. Ayite was fabulous today, and Kebano should have come off not him. Kamara needs to get a full 90 minutes against Reading, because he looked very good in his short spell on the pitch. Norwood was fantastic, and if we would have had McDonald to come on for him, we would have won. Johansen had a tough day, as did Cairney, and I believe Cisse should have replaced Johansen. Overall, a good point against a strong team, we will get better from this game, and I expect us to have a great season.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/8/6/16101650/fulham-vs-norwich-city-review

WhiteJC

'I can feel a top two season coming' – Fulham fans react to late draw on opening weekend

Fulham were unable to get their Championship season off to a winning start, as a late Nelson Oliveira strike saw them held to a 1-1 home draw with Norwich City on Saturday afternoon.

An own goal from veteran Scottish defender Russell Martin had put the Cottagers on course to secure an opening day victory, but Oliveira's strike, two minutes from time, which he celebrated by making a point of showing off his shirt number and name to new Canaries boss Daniel Farke, meant that Slavisa Jokanovic's side had to settle for a point.

With Fulham still lacking firepower, as new striker Aboubakar Kamara only sharp enough for a place on the bench, coming on the final 27 minutes, an opening day point against a team who are expected to be in the promotion mix themselves this season, might not represent such a bad result.

Lots of Fulham fans reacted by calling for calm, pointing out both that last season's champions Newcastle lost their first game of last season (to Fulham) and also that nobody in the top 10 from last season won on the opening day either.

However, there is still a feeling that additions are needed, especially up front, if Fulham are to challenge seriously this time around.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-can-feel-a-top-two-season-coming-fulham-fans-react-to-late-draw-on-opening-weekend/

WhiteJC

Kamara keen to repeat Amiens experience
by Dan on August 6, 2017

New signing Aboubakar Kamara believes he repeat his success of last season by helping Fulham to reach the top flight just he did with Amiens last term.

The French forward, who made his first appearance for Fulham in yesterday's 1-1 draw with Norwich, scored a vital goal on the final day of the French Ligue 2 campaign that helped Amiens leap four places into the automatic promotion spots. Speaking to the Football League Paper prior to his lively debut against the Canaries, the 22 year-old said:

It's great what we did last season – the first time (winning promotion to Ligue 1 for Amiens) – but now this is in the past. Now I focus on what's in front. Today I'm at Fulham and I'll try to reproduce the same feat as last season with Amiens. I will give my best.

I need to do my job in front of goal and I think, I if I'm able to do this, then the fans will be pleased with me, and so will I. I don't know how many goals I'm going to be able to score here, but we'll soon see what will happen. I'll be doing everything to bring goals and provide good football.

The early signs are encouraging at least. The first sight of Kamara in a Fulham shirt saw him make a few intelligent runs and the 22 year-old was eager to have a shot a goal from, something that had been lacking at times last season.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/kamara-keen-to-repeat-amiens-experience/

WhiteJC

Ticket News
Book now for Fulham cup clash on Tuesday night

Tickets for Carabao Cup first round tie are now on sale.

Wanderers fans can now snap up tickets for the Carabao Cup first round clash with Fulham.

Gareth Ainsworth's men take on the Championship side at the first stage of the competition for the second time in three years, with the two clubs meeting at Adams Park on Tuesday 8th August (k.o. 7.45pm).

The previous encounter, in August 2015, saw Adams Park attract its largest attendance for an EFL Cup tie since the semi-final against Chelsea in 2007.

Prices have been kept the same as the first round ties in each of the previous two seasons, and can be found below. Please note the Frank Adams Stand will be closed for this fixture.

Adults (19-59): £15
Seniors (60+): £12
Juniors (18 and under): £5

Book online, call the ticket office on 01494 441118, or buy in person at Adams Park.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2017/august/ticket-details-fulham-h-0808/

WhiteJC

New season but 'same speech' for Fulham boss after 'hurtful' Norwich City draw

'We can kill the game but we didn't kill the game...'

Slaviša Jokanović is not a man that likes to repeat himself but the Fulham boss felt like he was doing just that in his post-Norwich City press conference after the same old problems haunted the Cottagers in their 2017-18 season opener on Saturday.

In a flashback to last season, Fulham took the lead against the Canaries but failed to finish them off despite creating plenty of goal-scoring opportunities.

And the home side were made to pay for their lack of cutting edge in front of goal when Norwich scored an 88 minute equaliser.

It was an all too familiar scenario for Jokanović with the boss admitting that it might be a new season but Fulham were suffering from the same old mistakes.

Ryan Fredericks in action against Norwich City (Image: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"It is a similar situation to last season. We are on a similar level," the Cottagers boss said after the 1-1 draw.

"Last season we created many chances but we weren't clinical enough in the important moments and this a similar speech from my side, like last season.

"It's true. We can kill the game but we didn't kill the game. For me I found many, many problems in our left side in the first half and they created a few chances and didn't score the goal at the other end. That happened many times during the game.

"I feel a little bit hurt that we lost two points in the last two minutes."

Floyd Ayite (Image: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

And Jokanović didn't just feel "hurt" at concerning the goal but also the way the goal was scored, with the Fulham boss claiming Norwich's Nelson Oliveira was in an offside position.

"It's normal. When they equalise in the last few minutes of the game, you are always disappointed," he said.

"It was an interesting game with many chances we could have scored more goals and they could have scored too.

"They will probably complain about a possible penalty but I am a little bit more frustrated because I am again complaining about an offside situation when they scored their goal."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-season-same-speech-fulham-13438602

WhiteJC

Sunday Fan Zone: At last! Something for Norwich City fans to savour at Craven Cottage

Canaries fan DAVE MAJOR kicks of the first in our new series, Sunday Fan Zone, with his thoughts on the game at Fulham.

Nine times I've been inside Craven Cottage watching Norwich before Saturday.

The highlight of this period, a scrambled equaliser from Iwan Roberts in the last century, or a deflected Aaron Wilbraham goal? You decide, but it was slim pickings.

Downsides there have been a few, though I take solace in the fact I was over the river in a pub watching the 6-0 defeat back in 2005, and that Sky realised that there was more relevance to Relegation D-Day going on at Charlton so switched the feed.

But despite all this, the foolish bravado of a football fan had me in high spirits. The curse of Craven Cottage would surely be broken by Daniel Farke's and Stuart Webber's revolution. Never mind Neil Adams and Chris Hughton had both started their Norwich City managerial careers off in such parts with losses, this would be different. Because... well, because.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner, well Surrey-based Canary fan, but there are few nicer walks to a football ground than Craven Cottage. The sun glinting off the river, just as a rousing course of On the Ball City came from below; 125 Canary fans strong on what looked the most Norfolk boat cruise the dear old Thames has ever seen.

At the ground the songs just intensified, the Canary spirits heightening, familiar faces found. Football was back, and boy were we happy about it.

The game proved a real blood and thunder open Championship game. Fulham are good. Excellent movement and in Sone Aluko have a player who will terrorise many a defence. Marcel Franke in particular will be pleased to see the back of him.

It ebbed and it flowed, Norwich really should have been ahead in the first half, but it was an unfortunate Russell Martin deflection that had Fulham leading at half-time. The second became increasingly Canary-dominated; Watkins again could (read should) have scored, before Martin's volley was stopped by a Fulham hand that 3,000 yellow shirts clearly saw, but one black-shirted individual didn't.

Then cometh the 89th minute, cometh our number nine. Vintage Wes made it, a dink over the top that Jordan Spieth would have been proud of, straight onto Big Nelson's chest, and then the composure so lacking in his team-mates drawing and nutmegging the keeper. Brilliant goal, but perhaps a slightly over the top celebration. Temper temper.

The misses. There were a few.

Better finishing from Messrs Watkins and Vrancic could have seen City out of sight at half-time, despite Fulham's dominance. That lack of clinical striking exposed before Nelson made his point.

City's three at the back didn't help. Too often they were over-run, not quite sure where each other should be, and with a midfield lacking a level of bite. That clearly needs further work, but with seven City debutants that's partly understandable.

And in that system both Wildschut and Husband were left exposed. The latter will hope for better days and looked better in the second half, but too often balls in behind were met by the flying Fulham wide man rather than a slide tackle of seeing out of play.

But this was an optimistic day, a day which showed that in those three months since whimpering out of contention, Norwich City were back. There was fight, there was guile and clearly there was fitness. As the game wore on, despite Mario Vrancic's hands on knees moments, it was clear they were better prepared than Fulham.

Then there was the tactician. Three different formations, ending chasing the game with James Maddison as the deepest lying midfield player. Yes, it could have come unstuck, but here was someone not blighted by a 6-1 defeat at Newcastle chasing the point, maybe chasing all three, in true "Never Mind the Danger" style.

And finally, there was the colossus that was Christoph Zimmerman. My word. A proper centre-half who would have had Malky, Steve, Duncan and Dave all purring. Maybe a proper Championship centre-half, but the type that sniffed and snuffed out danger, put his body on the line and showed us just what we were missing last year.

But most importantly of all those past nine visits to Fulham have been surpassed. As football fans, we must endure the 5-0 defeats to really appreciate the optimism, the seeds of something new and exciting. We've got that, make no bones about it. Just try to keep it in check.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/sunday-fan-zone-at-last-something-for-norwich-city-fans-to-savour-at-craven-cottage-1-5137453

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Ream confident 'rusty' finishing will improve after 'tough to swallow' Norwich City draw

'It was our first real test of the year, our first game of the season and it's about finishing those chances but there was a little bit of rust, obviously...'

Defender Tim Ream insists there are positives to take from Fulham's opening day draw with Norwich City, despite admitting conceding a last-gasp equaliser was "tough to swallow and very frustrating".

The Cottagers took the lead in the Championship encounter after 25 minutes when Norwich captain Russell Martin turned Floyd Ayite's cross into his own net. However, just two minutes from time, Nelson Oliviera lost his marker and tucked Wes Hoolahan's pass under the advancing David Button to ensure the points were shared.

And while Ream believes Fulham played well for the majority of the game, he admits there are areas the team need to improve on – like their 'rusty' finishing.

"I thought we played well for probably 70 minutes but then lost our way a bit towards the end," the 29-year-old said.

(Image: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"It is always tough to give up a goal in the 88 minute, when you are so close to seeing the game out. Overall, we did some really good thing but obviously there is always room for improvement and we will take a look at things and get back to work.

"We did some really good things with the ball and then even defensively with our shape, and then attacking from defending positions. We kept the ball, possessed the ball, and created a lot of chances.

"It was our first real test of the year, our first game of the season and it's about finishing those chances but there was a little bit of rust, obviously. Those chances will continue to come and I'm very confident that the guys up front will start to finish those."

But the United States international insists conceding the late equaliser was out of character for Fulham.

"It's hard to take," he said of Oliviera's goal. "Obviously it was a little bit of role reversal for us compared to last year when we were the ones scoring late on.

"As someone who plays at the back, a defender, it tough to swallow and very frustrating for the entire team, not just us at the back, to give up such a late goal and then not have too much time to do anything about it. I think that's the most frustrating part."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-ream-confident-rusty-13439054

WhiteJC

Braga turn down Fulham's Fonte bid
by Dan on August 6, 2017

SC Braga have rejected Fulham's €7m bid for their striker Rui Fonte and want any suitors to match their €10m valuation, according to Portuguese newspaper A Bola.

Fonte, the younger brother of West Ham centre back Jose, has been high on Fulham's striking shortlist during the course of the summer and has commanded interest from across Europe after scoring fifteen goals for Braga last season. The 27 year-old is rumoured to be keen on returning to London, having enjoyed spells with both Arsenal and Crystal Palace earlier in his career.

Slavisa Jokanovic has made it plain that he wants further forward resources to arrive at Craven Cottage before the end of the transfer window – despite French striker Aboubakar Kamara joining from Amiens last week for a fee that could rise to £5m. It remains to be seen whether Fulham will return with an improved offer for Fonte or turn their attention to other targets.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/braga-turn-down-fulhams-fonte-bid/

WhiteJC

Ream says late goal was 'tough to swallow'
by Dan on August 6, 2017

Tim Ream described Nelson Oliveira's late equaliser at Craven Cottage yesterday as 'tough to swallow' but the defender feels there were positives to take from Fulham's first outing of the season.

The American centre back felt Fulham had dominated much of the contest and believes that rustiness at both ends of the field played its part as the Whites had to settle for a point.

I thought we played well for probably 70 minutes but then lost our way a bit towards the end. It is always tough to give up a goal in the 88th minute, when you are so close to seeing the game out. Overall, we did some really good things but obviously there is always room for improvement and we will take a look things and get back to work.

It's hard to take. Obviously it was a little bit of a role reversal for us compared to last year when we were the ones scoring late on. As someone who plays at the back, a defender, it is tough to swallow to give up such a late goal and then not have too much time to do anything about it. I think that's the most frustrating part.

Ream also backed Fulham's forwards to start finding the net in the weeks ahead.

We did some really good things with the ball and then even defensively with our shape, and then attacking from defending positions. We kept the ball, possessed the ball and created a lot of chances.

It was our first real test of the year, our first game of the season and it's about finishing those chances but there was a little bit of rust, obviously. Those chances will continue to come and I'm very confident that the guys up front will start to finish those.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/ream-says-late-goal-was-tough-to-swallow/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jokanovic gives update on key man's injury

Kevin McDonald should return to the Fulham side 'soon' after a calf injury kept him out of Saturday's Championship opener against Norwich City, according to manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The midfielder had been expected to make the game despite missing the Cottagers final pre-season friendly against Wolfsburg.

However, his boss explained that the former Scotland under-21 international had failed a fitness test on the morning of the match.

"We expected yesterday he would be available but when we checked him this morning he wasn't available for play today," said Jokanovic, as quoted by West London Sport.

"We expect he will soon be available to help us."

Fulham could only muster a 1-1 draw with the Canaries as Nelson Oliveira's late strike denied last season's play-off semi-finalists all three points at Craven Cottage.

The Whites had taken the lead after Norwich captain Russell Martin inadvertently sent the ball into his own net midway through the opening period.

The hosts spurned a number of chances to put the game to bed and were duly punished when substitute Oliveira steered home from a Wes Hoolahan pass with two minutes of normal time remaining.

Jokanovic will be hopeful over McDonald's availability for next week's difficult trip to Reading, after the 28-year-old played a key role in Fulham's success in the last campaign.

With 48 appearances to his name in all competitions across 2016-17, the ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers man provided much-needed steel in the centre of the park and also chipped in with three goals and four assists.

McDonald is uncapped at full international level for Scotland despite being called up to the squad by Gordon Strachan on several occasions.

He could be in contention to take some part in Fulham's League Cup visit to Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday night.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-boss-jokanovic-gives-update-key-mans-injury/

WhiteJC

Three things learnt from Norwich City's 1-1 draw at Fulham

One of the most eye-catching Championship games of the opening weekend took place at Craven Cottage, where last season's play-off semi-finalists and joint-top scorers Fulham hosted Norwich City.

This game was a good test for the promotion credentials of both, with Fulham likely to challenge for automatic promotion and the Canaries in expected to contend for a play-off place despite naming seven debutants against the Cottagers.

As you would expect, there was plenty of attacking football on show as both teams created chances in a hard-fought, 1-1 draw. Here are three things that we learned from an enthralling contest.

Oliver Norwood will be a great addition for Fulham
As entertaining as Fulham were last season, at times they lacked a controlling influence in the middle of the park. This is why Cottagers' fans rejoiced when the club's official website announced the season long loan signing of experienced Northern Ireland international Oliver Norwood from Brighton & Hove Albion, as he just the man to balance the attacking talents of Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney.

The signs were certainly promising against Norwich, as Norwood's meld of accurate passing and willingness to show for the ball laid a more solid foundation for Fulham's slick possession game. His high work-rate also shone through, and he will arguably get even better as the season progresses.

This will be a space that Fulham fans will watch with interest in the months ahead, but there is no doubt that Norwood brings attributes and experience that the club's midfield lacked at times last season.

Norwich boast a genuine threat down the flanks
Norwich have undoubtedly experienced a turbulent summer, with Declan Rudd, Graham Dorrans. Jonny Howson and the talented young winger Jacob Murphy all sold for a combined sum of £19.5 million.

Incoming manager Daniel Farke has also signed six new players during the pre-season, and while Norwich City's new-look side will need time to gel there were certainly signs of cohesiveness and promise at the Cottage.

The Canaries looked particularly dangerous down the flanks, with former Wigan Athletic winger Yanic Wildschut tormenting Fulham's young full-back Ryan Sessegnon and Marley Watkins forcing two fine saves from stopper David Button.

Both players have pace and trickery in abundance, and could provide Norwich with key attacking outlets as the season progresses.

Angus Gunn is a chip off the old block
For those of you who can remember back to the heady days of 1994, Norwich City were competing in the then-UEFA Cup after finishing third in the inaugural Premier League season. Their European run included a stunning, 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich in the Olympiastadion, which represented the Bavarians' one and only home defeat against English opposition in their famous stadium.

Legendary Scottish stopper Bryan Gunn played an integral role in that win, and if the draw at Fulham is anything to go by then his son Angus is a chip off the old block. As Norwich were subjected to intense pressure from the home side following Russell Martin's unfortunate own goal, Gunn made fine saves from Ryan Fredericks and Tom Cairney to keep the Canaries in the game prior to half time.

Gunn, who is currently enjoying a season long loan from Manchester City, looks set to play a key role for Norwich in the Championship and he certainly has the pedigree to make his mark. As for the fans, the sight of another Gunn in goal must also bring back a raft of memories from the most glorious period in the club's history.

http://tbrfootball.com/3-things-we-learned-from-norwich-citys-draw-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss delighted with former Manchester United, Huddersfield Town and Reading midfielder

'I believe Oliver Norwood played a very good 60 minutes, and moved the ball well...'

Slaviša Jokanović has praised the performance of Brighton & Hove Albion loanee Michael Norwood after the former Manchester United, Huddersfield Town and Reading midfielder made his competitive debut for Fulham against Norwich City on Saturday.

It wasn't the easiest of opening fixtures but Fulham head coach Jokanović believes his trio of new signings - Norwood, plus Aboubakar Kamara and Ibrahima Cisse - can all be "satisfied" with their competitive debuts.

Norwood, 26, started the Championship season opener against the Canaries while Kamara and Cisse came on off the bench, getting around half an hour's game time each.

And while disappointed with the result, a 1-1 draw, Cottagers boss Jokanović was pleased with what the new trio added to the Fulham squad.

"I'm satisfied with the new players as they've showed great desire and are working hard," he said. "I believe Oliver Norwood played a very good 60 minutes, and moved the ball well.

"Kamara has only had four sessions with us, but he's already shown that he's a strong and fast man.

"Norwood, Kamara and Cisse all can offer us characteristics that we've been missing."

However, overall in the game, Jokanović promised to have a good look at the possession statistics because he felt Norwich saw too much of the ball in the second half at Craven Cottage.

"We weren't fresh enough to find a little more power during the game, and started losing the ball more in the last 20 minutes. We needed to push harder and be stronger off the ball," he said.

"Norwich started to play between us, so I tried to find a more aggressive and stronger solution in midfield with Cisse. They created many problems on the left side, so I put on Denis Odoi to try and fix the problem."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-delighted-former-manchester-13438769

WhiteJC

Slating Sessegnon is far from sensible
by Dan on August 6, 2017

It began as I was walking along Stevenage Road, just past the Hammersmith End, to where I had returned after picking up a ticket for our trip to Ipswich at the end of the month. Two middle-aged men were in earnest conversation about the first 90 minutes of the season:

MAN 1: 'I thought Sessegnon was poor today.'
MAN 2: 'Really poor. He'll never make a left back.'
MAN 1: 'He just let the Norwich guy get past him every time. He's a liability'.
MAN 2: 'Yeah, he has to be one of the poorest left backs we've had ...'
MAN 1: 'We must get an upgrade in that position. Can't be relying on him all season'

It was at this point that I caught up to the two men. I wondered about whether I should reveal my earwigging of their chat and then thought, because I'm quite a vociferous individual anyway, that it would be worth standing up for quite possibly the most promising youngster we've seen at the Cottage in a while. Man 1 was already looking at the way I was walking anyway (I've got cerebral palsy, so that's an everyday occurrence) and I told him I couldn't help overhearing the conversation. I asked them if, in future, they'd consider that Sessegnon has only just turned seventeen, played a significant number of games in that position last season when Fulham reached the play-offs and is already twice the player that Carlos Salcido ever was when he donned the black and white. Silence followed and so, after wishing the pair well, I walked on enjoying the August sunshine on the River Thames.

It would be quite legitimate to suggest that Norwich's three most dangerous attacks of the first half came down the Fulham left. It is also fair to say that Daniel Falke's side could have been three up by the close of the opening twenty minutes. Sessegnon certainly had a tough time against an adventurous right wing-back in Yanic Wildschut. That is going to happen as he learns the defensive side of his game at senior level. Perhaps people have forgotten that the saintly Scott Malone was also susceptible defensively and, indeed, conceded two spot-kicks in the corresponding fixture last season.

It must also be said that Slavisa Jokanovic's system asks an awful lot of a full-back. Sessegnon is required to bomb forward in support of a winger who himself is deployed in an ultra-offensive fashion, which can see him caught high up the pitch regularly. On the flip side of that, there isn't the protection for a young full-back that Sessegnon might have enjoyed in a Roy Hodgson side for example. For much of the first half yesterday, Stefan Johansen was gamely battling to plug the gaps left by Neeskens Kebano on the left – leaving Fulham's defensive shield all out of kilter. When Falke threw on Josh Murphy on the hour mark, it made sense for Sessegnon to be sacrificed for a more orthodox full-back in Denis Odoi. It's worth remembering that Sessegnon wasn't on the pitch when Norwich's equaliser arrived.

Jokanovic has made it plain that he wants another body at left back and, reading Shahid Khan's programme notes yesterday, that might have made something of an impression on the Fulham owner. People seem to expect a seventeen year old to transition from promising player into Gareth Bale overnight. Sessegnon won't elbow aside Ayite, Kebano or even Lucas Piazon from the starting left-wing berth at the moment – and his lungbusting runs are an immense asset from deep. He's got a whole set of drills designed to help him become a more effective full back and has come on leaps and bounds during his first season in senior football.

Slating the club's prize asset is also an exceptionally odd way to react when you remember that he ignored serious interest from Europe's best sides to continue his development at a club he has come to love. This wasn't just the isolation take of two guys walking away from the Cottage. There were plenty of tweets filling timelines last night about how the hype had got to Sessegnon and message boards contributions were coating him as well. It's time for a bit of a perspective as well as recognition that even the finest prospects can have poor games.

I thought Tom Cairney was below the very high standards he sets himself yesterday and can't have been the only one to wince when he was clattered by a two-footed tackle in the second half that went unpunished by a 'let's keep playing' referee in the form of Robert Jones. Equally, Johansen took a while to warm to the task but if anyone was responsible for how Fulham alarmingly ceded space and the initiative to their visitors it was probably the head coach himself. Making three changes so swiftly in the second half meant that Cairney couldn't be protected and the removal of Oliver Norwood badly disrupted Fulham's rhythm in a crucial area of the pitch.

The salient point remains that Sessgnon, like any Fulham player, should be supported throughout – especially as someone who has made such great strides since coming through the ranks. It is natural to expect him to be a world beater given the way he took to professional football last year, but it is also unrealistic. Let's be fair to the young man and treasure the talent he brings to the white shirt. Doing anything else is just silly.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/slating-sessegnon-is-far-from-sensible/

WhiteJC

Report: Leeds willing to pay £2m for Bristol City full back Joe Bryan, two rivals also lurking

Leeds United are again being linked with Bristol City's Joe Bryan.

According to The Mirror, Leeds United are willing to pay £2million in order to sign Bristol City's Joe Bryan - but Birmingham and Fulham are right in the mix with them.

The Whites opened their season with an entertaining 3-2 win away at Bolton Wanderers, and manager Thomas Christiansen may still be keen on more defensive additions after a shaky afternoon at the back.

Leeds have already added Vurnon Anita and Matthew Pennington to their defensive options, whilst Manchester United's Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is poised to sign on a season-long loan deal too.

However, Leeds have been linked with a move for Bristol City's Joe Bryan for some time now, and The Mirror claim that they are now willing to offer up £2million to sign him this summer - but so are Championship rivals Bristol City and Fulham.

Bryan, 23, was born in Bristol and came up through the ranks at Ashton Gate, with the defender racking up close to 200 appearances for the Robins in all competitions whilst starring either as a left back or left wing back.

Having impressed so much in the Championship though, Bryan has attracted major interest, and Bristol City may have to fend off interest from three of their rivals before this month's transfer deadline.

Two questions spring to mind though. The first is that Leeds are signing Borthwick-Jackson to fill the gap left by Charlie Taylor's exit to Burnley, and with Gaetano Berardi also featuring at left back, it's hard to see the Whites investing in another left back right now, unless Berardi moves over to right back and Luke Ayling to centre back.

The second is that Bristol City are under little pressure to sell one of their prized assets, and letting him go to a Championship rival for just £2million would be a huge surprise, especially given owner Steve Lansdown's wealth and subsequent investment into the club.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/06/report-leeds-willing-to-pay-2m-for-bristol-city-full-back-joe-br/

Sgt Fulham

Lots of Fulham fans reacted by calling for calm, pointing out both that last season's champions Newcastle lost their first game of last season (to Fulham) and also that nobody in the top 10 from last season won on the opening day either.

... :005:

WhiteJC

League Cup Preview: Wycombe Wanderers v Fulham

Wycombe Wanderers entertain Championship side Fulham on Tuesday in a League Cup first-round tie.

The Chairboys drew 2-2 at home to newly promoted Lincoln City on Saturday in their opening league game of the season.

Two summer signings featured in the starting eleven, defender Adam El Abd and forward Nathan Tyson.

After going a goal behind, two set pieces gave Wanderers a deserved half time lead, a header from Luke O'Nien and a free-kick from Joe Jacobson.

The Imps equalised shortly after the break and had the better of a dour second half in which Wanderers failed to fashion a single chance and appeared to run out of steam and ideas.

The Chairboys lined up with Brown in goal, Harriman, Jombati, El Abd and Jacobson at the back, Gape, O'Nien and Saunders in midfield, and Southwell Akinfenwa and Tyson in attack.

Manager Gareth Ainsworth indicated after the game that he would make several changes against Fulham, and reiterated that he hopes to make another signing in the near future.

In recent years the League Cup for Wycombe has been a case of "close but no cigar."

Since their remarkable run to the semi-finals in 2006/07, Wanderers have only made it to the second round once in ten attempts, a 2011 penalty shoot-out victory over old rivals Colchester United following a thrilling 3-3 draw.

In the five attempts since then, they've lost by a single goal to Watford, Leicester City, Millwall, Fulham and Bristol City.

Fulham opened their Championship campaign on Saturday with a 1-1 draw at home to Norwich City in front of a crowd of 20,134.

The Cottagers took the lead after 25 minutes thanks to an own goal from Russell Martin, a low cross from Floyd Ayite hitting the former Chairboy's heel before spinning into the net.

The home side hit the woodwork as they pushed for second, but were pegged back two minutes from time when Canaries' substitute Nelson Oliveira converted a Wes Hoolihan pass to snatch a share of the points.

The Cottagers enjoyed 49% of the possession and fashioned 3 shots on target from 16 attempts on goal

Norwich named seven debutants in their starting eleven but Fulham fielded almost the same side as last season with only midfielder Oliver Norwood making his first competitive start.

Here's how the two sides fared last season...

Fulham's League Cup Record

Lg Cup Round One......Orient (A)..................Won 3-2

Lg Cup Round Two.....Middlebrough (H)......Won 2-1

Lg Cup Round Three...Bristol City (H)...........Lost 1-2

Wycombe's League Cup record

Lg Cup Round One......Bristol City (H)...........Lost 0-1

Fulham's League Record

Home....W:10...D:8.....L:5.....GF:45 - GA:32 - Pts:38

Away.....W:12...D:6.....L:5.....GF:40 - GA:25 - Pts:42

Total......W:22...D:14...L:10...GF:85 - GA:57 - Pts:80

Final position: 6th in Championship

Lost 2-1 on aggregate to Reading in Play off Semi Final

Wycombe's record last season

Home...W:11...D:6....L:6.....GF:29 - GA:21 - Pts:39

Away....W:8.....D:6....L:9.....GF:29 - GA:32 - Pts:30

Total....W:19...D:12...L:15 - GF:58 - GA:53 - Pts:69

Final position: 9th in League Two

Wycombe stats this season...

Wycombe Goal Scorers - (All Competitions)

Joe Jacobson......................1

Luke O'Nien.......................1

Wycombe Assists - (All Competitions)

Joe Jacobson.......................1

Wycombe Goal Stats (1 game in all Competitions)

Goals Scored (Total)...........Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Goals Conceded (Total)......Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Goals Scored (Home)..........Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Goals Conceded (Home).....Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Clean Sheets........................Lg: 0...Cups: 0...Total: 0

Failed to Score.....................Lg: 0...Cups: 0...Total: 0

Wycombe - miscellaneous stats

Shots on-target (for).............Lg: 3...Cups: 0...Total: 3

Shots on-target (against)......Lg: 3...Cups: 0...Total: 3

Shots off-target (for).............Lg: 4...Cups: 0...Total: 4

Shots off-target (against)......Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Corners (for)...........................Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Corners (against)....................Lg: 2...Cups: 0...Total: 2

Ave possession (for)...............Lg: 49%...Cups: n/a

Ave possession (against)........Lg: 51%...Cups: n/a

Discipline

Wycombe.....0 Red Cards - 2 Yellow Cards

Dominic Gape................1 yellow

Sam Saunders................1 yellow

Previous Meetings

In 11 previous meetings there have been 5 wins for Fulham, 2 for Wycombe and 4 draws.

At Adams Park the tally is 2 wins for the Cottagers, 1 for the Chairboys and 2 draws.

1997/98: Lgcp Wycombe 1 Fulham 2

1997/98: Lg1: Wycombe 2 Fulham 0

1998/99: Lg1: Wycombe 1 Fulham 1

2001/02: FAC Wycombe 2 Fulham 2

2015/16: Lgcp Wycombe 0 Fulham 1

The Man In The Middle

Tuesday's referee is Gavin Ward from Surrey who was promoted to the National List of Referees in 2007.

Last season he took charge of Wycombe`s 2-1 FA Cup win at Portsmouth, their 2-1 defeat at home to Crawley, and their 2-0 win at Barnet.

During the 2016/17 campaign he issued 6 red and 150 yellow cards in 41 appearances.

So far this season he's issued 6 yellow cards in 1 outing, Saturday`s 8-2 win for Luton over Yeovil.

Prediction

Wycombe 0 Fulham 2

Read more: http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=499655#ixzz4p2z7pCKV

WhiteJC

Fulham, Leeds and Blues linked with Bryan move
by Dan on August 7, 2017

Fulham are one of three Championship clubs prepared to make a £2m move for Bristol City defender Joe Byran, says the Daily Mirror.

The Whites are seeking further cover at left back after selling Scott Malone to Huddersfield this summer but will face stiff competition from Leeds United and Birmingham City. Leeds may only move for Bryan if their other targets fall through – they are expected to shortly complete a deal to bring in Manchester United defender Cameron Borthwick-Jackson on a season-long loan – whilst Harry Redknapp's Blues are looking for greater depth in the position.

Bryan, now 23, was born in Bristol and came through City's academy. The dependable full-back has played over 200 games for the Robins and is equally adept at left back or left wing-back. It would be a huge surprise if such a small fee proved able to land one of City's key performers, especially given their strong financial position at present. Indeed, chairman Steve Lansdown has previously stated that he will only consider selling Byran to a top flight club.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/fulham-leeds-and-blues-linked-with-bryan-move/