watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Has this transfer window solved our concerns of scoring goals + CB/GK positions

Started by howitis, August 22, 2017, 11:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Not looking to stir things upon with this post, just weighing up our transfer activity against our concerns at the end of last season.

GK - nearly all Fulham fans felt that we needed a change here. Both B's are capable of some decent stops but both are flawed when it comes to distribution and Button seems to panic when put under pressure. For whatever reason we have done nothing to solve this. To be fair to Button I thought he was one of our better players on Saturday.

CB - we got back Kalas which was great but no other activity of note in this position. I don't think we consider Djalo as ready and if we are not going to conduct any more business then i think its important we keep Madl.

STRIKERS - really concerned that we have not properly addressed this problem. Kamara is very raw and to be honest we have not seen enough of him to judge what his strengths are. Slightly concerned that he is in the Kebano/Ayite/Aluko category of nippy but end product is sometimes missing. As for Fonte I have no doubt that he will prove a decent acquisition for fulham and his football intelligence is needed up top where we have sometimes lacked guile. What really concerns me is that we don't have that goal poacher. The player on the last shoulder who gets in behind and finishes clinically. We need a 20+ goal striker. They are out there Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray, Troy Deeney, Jordan Rhodes - all players that have achieved this without their respective clubs breaking the bank. Perhaps this is where the data driven approach is letting us down. As fans we can see what the team needs but perhaps computer says no !!!

Deuce

Scoring goals isnt just about buying a really good striker, it has a lot more to with the tactical set up. Its Slavs duty to make sure we score goals and win matches. We did it last season and with added fire power this season I see no reason why it shouldnt continue.

The club has invested £13 mil in two strikers, we should be happy with that. Finding quality goal scorers is rare and thats why they tend to be the most expensive. You can never know before hand if a striker will deliver or not, but lets trust Khan/Kline on this one that they've done their homework and decided that Fonte is the best option, and that Kamara has good chances of becoming a top striker. There isnt much more than that we can do. Sure, we can but Waris as well perhaps or even Rolan. But neither are certain goalscorers in the championship.

We have signed a lot of players, a lot of foreigners with that. We need to give the players time to gel as a unit and stop poking about in the squad and let it settle, thats the downside when signing a lot of new players. Its never as simple as just adding someone and the'll immediatly replicate their form from their previous clubs.

Deeping_white

Jordan Rhodes cost Wednesday over £10m and has scored 3 times in 23 appearances. If we did that and he scored that few goals, people on here would go ballistic. Dwight Gayle also cost more than £10 and therefore is also hardly cheap even though he proved a solid return on investment. If you watch videos of the goals that Fonte scores, the vast majority of them are what you would say are poachers goals anyway, so give him time and I think he'll prove he's worth the investment. Button is a confidence player and he's had a good start so if he keeps this up then we dont need a GK, and Betts is decent backup. We could maybe do with a CB, and I've heard rumblings around James Tarkowski or Harlee Dean but we shall see.

EastEndWhite

Quote from: howitis on August 22, 2017, 11:22:09 AM

GK - nearly all Fulham fans felt that we needed a change here. Both B's are capable of some decent stops but both are flawed when it comes to distribution and Button seems to panic when put under pressure. For whatever reason we have done nothing to solve this. To be fair to Button I thought he was one of our better players on Saturday.

CB - we got back Kalas which was great but no other activity of note in this position. I don't think we consider Djalo as ready and if we are not going to conduct any more business then i think its important we keep Madl.

STRIKERS - really concerned that we have not properly addressed this problem. Kamara is very raw and to be honest we have not seen enough of him to judge what his strengths are. Slightly concerned that he is in the Kebano/Ayite/Aluko category of nippy but end product is sometimes missing. As for Fonte I have no doubt that he will prove a decent acquisition for fulham and his

Lighthouse

Interesting topic. Having myself gone on about the keepers. I think Button and Rodak in his one appearance proved that we seem to have cover and quality. Yes I would want a great keeper but to be fair Button has improved his command of the area and distribution. As did Rodak when he played. Could be that our new keeping coach has done the business.

As for centre half. No we are very short, both in terms of physical height and depth in squad. Especially as Madl is on his way out or injured. That to me is a real problem and will continue to be so down the line. However I am more than happy to be proved wrong and that players can step up. Again the last league cup game proved we have cover in that area. Still not confident it is strong or good enough.

Up front I agree. We seem to have plenty of good players now who can provide chances. Just none that I feel confident will put any away or even be on the end of them. Still could be additions? Listening to the FOF podcast there is shared hope that that may be the case.

So no not really to answer the original post. But getting there.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

We need a 20+ goal striker. They are out there Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray, Troy Deeney, Jordan Rhodes - all players that have achieved this without their respective clubs breaking the bank.

You must be joking. They all cost shed loads plus they are all on silly wages.
Where there's a will there's a wife

hovewhite

Khan has covered most of the areas,only position i would like is CB,but one plus odoi covering there on a great level has been a bonus,Apart from CB quite happy.

Woolly Mammoth

My only real concern now is the Centre Back position, it looks fragile as it is, and as the season wears on there will be two games a week coming thick and fast, which will take its toll. The chances are that either Kalas or Ream will get injured somewhere along the line or both, then where would we be.
We do not have enough height or physical presence, and set pieces is another concern in their penalty area as well as our own.
This needs to be addressed yesterday with a commanding leader marshalling the defence who will not only defend set pieces, but will also be a threat to the opponents goal.
Currently we are one dimensional, no plan B.
The absence of a tall powerful centre back could come back to haunt us. Plus it's also not only what you do with the ball. It's also what you can do without it.
It's worth paying an extra 3 to 4 million to get the right man, as the rewards are tenfold.
As for a striker, I cannot see where else we are going to get another forward.
As for Goalkeeper, I understand neither Betts or Butts are the finished article, but I can live with them I think. Although I wouldn't say no if a really decent GK came into the frame, but I just cannot see it.
All efforts on a Centre Back that meets our requirements is a priority of epic proportions, no stone must be left unturned, although John Stones is out of our League, but there are others that will come for the right price.
The potential rewards should out gun any argument to the contrary.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 22, 2017, 12:18:33 PM
Interesting topic. Having myself gone on about the keepers. I think Button and Rodak in his one appearance proved that we seem to have cover and quality. Yes I would want a great keeper but to be fair Button has improved his command of the area and distribution. As did Rodak when he played. Could be that our new keeping coach has done the business.

As for centre half. No we are very short, both in terms of physical height and depth in squad. Especially as Madl is on his way out or injured. That to me is a real problem and will continue to be so down the line. However I am more than happy to be proved wrong and that players can step up. Again the last league cup game proved we have cover in that area. Still not confident it is strong or good enough.

Up front I agree. We seem to have plenty of good players now who can provide chances. Just none that I feel confident will put any away or even be on the end of them. Still could be additions? Listening to the FOF podcast there is shared hope that that may be the case.

re: the center backs, we conceded the fewest headed goals in the league last season. Also, Odoi is small, but seemingly wins every header. Ream has also been quite good in this area. It's not about height. Our style requires CBs who can move in space and play the ball, and it also cuts down on the number of opponent crosses anyway.

I don't want to be caught thin in depth, but it feels like this board overrates two things: size at CB, and size at striker.

howitis

Quote from: grandad on August 22, 2017, 12:19:15 PM
We need a 20+ goal striker. They are out there Dwight Gayle, Andre Gray, Troy Deeney, Jordan Rhodes - all players that have achieved this without their respective clubs breaking the bank.

I think you'll find that
Burnley paid £9m for Andre Gray
Newcastle paid £10m for Dwight
In 2011 Watford paid £250k for Troy Deeney
As for Jordan, Huddersfield paid £900k, Blackburn 9.09m and Middlesbrough £10.71m

All within reach for fulham. Its more about identifying the type of player we need and sadly I'm not sure any of our front line options are going to get us 20+ goals

Marcel_Gecov

If we go for this kind of player we need to be buying them when they are at dagenham, Shrewsbury, Walsall and huddersfield (2012 version) and not Newcastle, Burnley, Watford and Sheff Wed. Bogle looked like he could have been this player but he hasnt shown it so far. Which is where scouting comes in.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: howitis on August 22, 2017, 03:42:08 PM

I think you'll find that
Burnley paid £9m for Andre Gray
Newcastle paid £10m for Dwight
In 2011 Watford paid £250k for Troy Deeney
As for Jordan, Huddersfield paid £900k, Blackburn 9.09m and Middlesbrough £10.71m

All within reach for fulham. Its more about identifying the type of player we need and sadly I'm not sure any of our front line options are going to get us 20+ goals

The last time Rhodes scored 20 goals was 2014, Andre Gray has really only had had one season when he has scored 20 in 2015-16, Gayle scored 20 last season but before that had scored 28 in his entire career and Deeney scored a bunch years ago but again not recently. Why would I pay 10m for any of them???

We need to sign the next generation of this type of player. Who will probably look thoroughly underwhelming at first glance.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 22, 2017, 03:39:31 PM

re: the center backs, we conceded the fewest headed goals in the league last season. Also, Odoi is small, but seemingly wins every header. Ream has also been quite good in this area. It's not about height. Our style requires CBs who can move in space and play the ball, and it also cuts down on the number of opponent crosses anyway.

I don't want to be caught thin in depth, but it feels like this board overrates two things: size at CB, and size at striker.

I do not think this board overates size at all, not in the least, I value it, but I identify a fact that size does matter. I shouldn't have to explain the basics to you, and I have no intention either, no disrespect, but if you have played football at any decent level, or any level come to think of it, you will not need me to explain.
Nonetheless, If you think size doesnt matter, I know a lot of women that will wholeheartedly and 100% disagree with you most definitely.

Never forget your Roots.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 22, 2017, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 22, 2017, 03:39:31 PM

I do not think this board overates size at all, not in the least, I value it, but I identify a fact that size does matter. I shouldn't have to explain the basics to you, and I have no intention either, no disrespect, but if you have played football at any decent level, or any level come to think of it, you will not need me to explain.
Nonetheless, If you think size doesnt matter, I know a lot of women that will wholeheartedly and 100% disagree with you most definitely.

Thanks for your quality addition to the thread. Very insightful.

Signed,
Someone who's played at a decent level

Bill2

After watching Saturday and tonight the answer is NO. We still have a poor ratio of shots and shots on target. Polite words fail me to describe our performance tonight and having virtually 100% of the play in the second half we could only fashion one chance which Kamara put wide.

I know they put 11 men behind the ball, but that is no real excuse for our poor delivery.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.