Author Topic: Never a Red Card  (Read 3003 times)

Offline FFC73

• Legend
Re: Never a Red Card
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Poor free kick into space behind Fred, Fred played to Kalas & Kalas had no options so tried to dribble out of defence & got caught in possession. His rugby tackle on the Reading player was rubbish & my initial thought was to look at ref. Ref already had his hand in his pocket which is always a bad sign.

I will need to see a replay to see if Ream would have got across to cover

Offline filham

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
I wasn't there so gun me down if you want,  but it sounded like Stefjo hit a free kick back to Odoi, who in turn passed to Kalas and next thing we're under pressure.

Sounds like inviting disaster?
I was there , high up in the stand behind the goal and immediately thought ita foul wold be given and maybe a yellow card.

Having see the TV clip in seems a very harsh decision to give a red card and to reduce the whole match to eleven v ten.

Offline PokerMatt

• cebu
    • Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 08:12:39 PM »
Honestly? It's not as harsh as I had expected it to be.

I mean, the player is through on goal with a clear shot if he's not fouled. The early in the game sense might have come into play, but I doubt that'll be overturned.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Offline MikeW

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »
Nice to see the Reading players applauding the sending off on the pic used on the BBC web site.  Very classy Reading.  Just about sums your dreadful club up.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Online westcliff white

• Global Moderator
  • Mr Fayed
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »

I mean, the player is through on goal with a clear shot if he's not fouled. The early in the game sense might have come into play, but I doubt that'll be overturned.
I disagree as Ream is coming across no guarantee the shot is at target so to speak, very harsh. I hear we are appealing
Every day is a Fulham day

Offline Andy S

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »
I cannot see what there is to appeal about by the rules of the game in that situation you are taking a walk. You don't need an early bath as you haven't had time to raise a sweat. Very silly and probably cost us two points

Offline Baszab

• Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
I think I dislike Reading under Stam with his bully tactics more than CFC Brentford and QPR put together

Online westcliff white

• Global Moderator
  • Mr Fayed
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
I cannot see what there is to appeal about by the rules of the game in that situation you are taking a walk. You don't need an early bath as you haven't had time to raise a sweat. Very silly and probably cost us two points
I don't think the appeal will win personally, but I do not think it was a red card, there was a covering defender, but hey ho we got a point which is more than I thought we would get after 60 seconds
Every day is a Fulham day

Offline jarv

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »
I have not seen it yet. Harsh it may be but if it meets the definition then an extra game ban will be added.

ps...I hate Reading too. Soooo pleased they lost to Huddersfield. I was in a pub in Winchester, most supporting Reading. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing those bully boy cheats losing.

Offline Robbie

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
I was sitting right in front of the incident. Sadly I think it was 70% a red card. What you can't see on the highlights due to the camera angle is that Kalas definitely puts an arm out and catches the Reading attacker. The initial reaction around me was disbelief that he did something so stupid.

Today was a top performance (COYWs) but I think Kalas should not have put his arm out... he was duped.

Sorry.

Offline One Martin Thomas

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:16 PM »

I don't think they'll overturn that. Really not convinced it's worth appeal.

Offline Finnegans Wake

• tjl
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong (which I maybe, I've only viewed the highlights on my phone) but doesn't the other Reading player immediately pounce onto the loose ball in the box?

The red card is given for "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity". If the ref plays advantage Reading still get their shot on goal away in exactly the same place as they would of anyway so therefore the goal scoring opportunity wasn't denied.

Offline andyk

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong (which I maybe, I've only viewed the highlights on my phone) but doesn't the other Reading player immediately pounce onto the loose ball in the box?

The red card is given for "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity". If the ref plays advantage Reading still get their shot on goal away in exactly the same place as they would of anyway so therefore the goal scoring opportunity wasn't denied.

I think you may have just proven the case for the prosecution. If the other Reading player stays on his feet, then they have 2 players clean through, against an out of position Ream. They would almost certainly have scored.

Anyway, great result in the end.

Offline Finnegans Wake

• tjl
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:39 PM »

I think you may have just proven the case for the prosecution. If the other Reading player stays on his feet, then they have 2 players clean through, against an out of position Ream. They would almost certainly have scored.

Anyway, great result in the end.

But the rules don't take the quality of the chance into account (I think). A goal scoring opportunity still remains.

I suppose it could be argued that the act of denying a goal scoring opportunity is a red card irrelevant of what happens after but then they changed to rules last season or the season before. Now if you are the last man in the penalty area, you bring someone down and a penalty is given then you don't receive a red card on the basis that the goal scoring opportunity still remains.

Offline Statto

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »