watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cairney

Started by filham, August 12, 2017, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

So why did Cairney not play today, have I missed something, has there been a statement about an injury.
Can we expect a return soon because he will be sorely missed.

Tabby

From the Head Coach Reaction on the offal:

Tom Cairney was named amongst the substitutes before being withdrawn from contention ahead of kick-off, but his Head Coach hopes to have him available at Elland Road.

"We are going to assess him," Jokanović said. "He was close to being part of the squad. I was thinking about using him for a short time during the game.

"It wasn't the plan to start with him, but he will be at a better level for the game we're going to play on Tuesday night against Leeds."

I'm assuming he had a slight niggle to begin with and they decided not to risk it.

fulhamben

Quote from: Tabby on August 12, 2017, 10:03:19 PM
From the Head Coach Reaction on the offal:

Tom Cairney was named amongst the substitutes before being withdrawn from contention ahead of kick-off, but his Head Coach hopes to have him available at Elland Road.

"We are going to assess him," Jokanović said. "He was close to being part of the squad. I was thinking about using him for a short time during the game.

"It wasn't the plan to start with him, but he will be at a better level for the game we're going to play on Tuesday night against Leeds."

I'm assuming he had a slight niggle to begin with and they decided not to risk it.
good to know this, if it were anything other than an injury; Slav would have let rip
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Rhys Lightning 63

I saw him walking up the steps behind the dugout, took him a while. Bit of a limp too
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

love4ffc

It's a long season.  Better to pull him know then risk him getting a long term injury. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Twig

We have started the season with too many injuries, niggles and question marks over fitness.  Have said it before, you have to question our pre season.

Andy S

It is what it is. It is a physical game after all and injuries can happen and in fact often do

OMalleyCat

Not playing Cairney was a good decision in the end considering what did happen, I'm sure Reading would of just bullied him.
But it begs the question, does he start against Leeds?

wheelerdeeler

His knee's been bothering him all Pre-Season, and he's struggling for general fitness considering he's only played 30 Minutes in Pre-Season. Doubt we see him this side of the International Break, or at least we won't see him at his best put it that way.

Slavisa made a big mistake not subbing him off against Norwich and taking Norwood off instead and making him play the whole 90 Minutes.

Wearethewhites

Cairney had a late fitness test just before Reading, and was pulled from the side, deemed not to be fit, not a reoccurrence of the injury, or any worsening. 

filham

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 13, 2017, 12:04:41 AM
His knee's been bothering him all Pre-Season, and he's struggling for general fitness considering he's only played 30 Minutes in Pre-Season. Doubt we see him this side of the International Break, or at least we won't see him at his best put it that way.

Slavisa made a big mistake not subbing him off against Norwich and taking Norwood off instead and making him play the whole 90 Minutes.
Oh dear I can see his knee now bothering him for the rest of the season if we are not careful. Best give him a rest until the problem is really sorted then have him back fully fit.

nose

Quote from: filham on August 13, 2017, 11:04:40 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 13, 2017, 12:04:41 AM

Oh dear I can see his knee now bothering him for the rest of the season if we are not careful. Best give him a rest until the problem is really sorted then have him back fully fit.

I agree, no point rushing him back. Vital he is fully recoered before starting again. foor so many years we have seen so many players rushed back to early and it impacting not just the team but their whole careers.