• The Bard/Corked Hat
August
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:42:19 AM »
H Norwich
A Reading
A Leeds
H Sheffield Wednesday
A Ipswich

How many points do people think we should (realistically) be aiming for from the first part of the season before the international break?

Last season we got 11, then capitulated in September.

Top 6 form generally requires at least 8 pts from every 5 games.

In fairness 80% of those teams finished in the top third last year and 60% of the games are away, so it's an especially tough 5 games.

Personally I think 7 or 8 pts total, so 5 or 6 pts from the next three games. We need to be winning at least one of those next three. Staying undefeated would also be a bonus.

Although With Kalas and Cairney both potentially absent, I'd definitely take a draw against Leeds on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:32:54 AM by Statto »

Offline Fulhamerica23

• tjl
Re: August
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:09:29 AM »
Have always thought 5 would be fine. Anything above 8 will be bonus for me. Tough start.

Offline wheelerdeeler

• tjl
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:19:19 AM »
Ipswich is the only one where you'd look at it and say we should be winning 100%. Considering how the two games went I'm relatively happy with 2 Points so far. Would be content with 6 Points going into the International Break considering the fixtures and the fact we'll have some properly tired legs going up to Leeds on Tuesday.

Reading were I think 16th going into the first International Break last season and ended up finishing 3rd, so it's not a complete write off of a season if we're not in and around the Play-Offs early on.

Online Roberty

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:41:44 AM »
I think that after yesterdays effort - it is safe to say that we have more to offer than we did last year and the passion seems to have carried over from last season.

We have added toughness, adaptability and commitment to our pretty football style and I'm hopeful that even if we don't win were not going to roll over as so often happened last season and that we'll scrap to the end to get that vital point

I'm hoping that Tony Khan's department is similarly committed and will find the players we need to carry this through to May

Nearly forgot - a draw and then two wins for me

It could be better but this is the real world and not a fantasy

Offline hovewhite

• MAESTRO
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
7pionts i think also quite  pssible we will stay unbeaten.

Offline filham

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Well to be on target for automatic promotion we should be looking for ten points from five games, we have already dropped four points so are playing catch up.

We need two wins and a draw from the next three games, getting to the top of the championship is tough.

Offline MJG

• tjl
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
Before season I was saying
11+ excellent
10 very good
9 good
8 minimum required
7 or less I'd have been disappointed.

At the moment I expected 3 pts from the two games. Norwich, Reading loss, I have us down for a draw at Leeds so win that and we would be ahead of where I expected.
Just the views of a long term fan

Offline Keynsham

• tjl
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
I think we'll beat Wednesday and Ipswich and take a point from Leeds.

I'll also be very happy with that.

Offline MJG

• tjl
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
Well to be on target for automatic promotion we should be looking for ten points from five games, we have already dropped four points so are playing catch up.

We need two wins and a draw from the next three games, getting to the top of the championship is tough.
you are right, but you also have to take the opposition quality into account. Out of these five  I'd expect four of them in top half, if nit top eight. Against those type of teams if you can get 1.5/1.7 + on average that's good. Against teams in bottom you expect 2.2/2.4 per game.

Offline Statto

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
11+ excellent
10 very good
9 good
8 minimum required

At the moment I expected 3 pts from the two games. Norwich, Reading loss, I have us down for a draw at Leeds so win that and we would be ahead of where I expected.

Are you not tempted to do the charts and projections on here again? If you told me you didn't already have them in an Excel doc on your desktop I wouldn't believe you mate!

Offline dannyboi-ffc

• Global Moderator
  • Gentleman Jim
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
It's too early to start talking about points. Newcastle had zero at this point last season. I think 2 points is a steady return in the circumstances.

As Mike says it's a tough start. If we are contenders then we will grind out the points in the first 5 games against difficult teams and then win 5 in a row when the fixtures become less difficult.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc        

Email- dannyboiffc@gmail.com

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Offline MJG

• tjl
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
11+ excellent
10 very good
9 good
8 minimum required

Are you not tempted to do the charts and projections on here again? If you told me you didn't already have them in an Excel doc on your desktop I wouldn't believe you mate!
hmmm.... You may know me too well.

I'm have it all ready to post once we are about ten to twelve games in.

Offline bill taylors apprentice

• MAESTRO
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

A points total of 6 for August while appearing disapointing will need to be taken in combination with the 6 games in Sept.
I think we are less likely to repeat the disasterous September of last season.

So a reasonable 6+ 11 from Sept = 3 more than last season and us in or around the top 6!

The good news is, even with the missing links (CF,CH,LB) we have a team thats capable of winning home and away against anyone but I still feel we have the posiblity to imload in a match as much as dig in like yesterday!

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 09:08:13 PM »
We are capable of beating any team in this Division, as well as losing to any team in this Division.
So predicting results is futile as there is no real pattern, especially where Fulham are concerned. Otherwise we would all be winning the Pools Coupon every week.
 Aston Villa are third from bottom, does that make them any easier to beat than Ipswich Town who are fourth from top.
Every match is a different challenge, whoever you play home or away. Nobody should be feared, but nobody should be taken for granted either.
Predicting is a bit of fun, but futile.
The next game is the most important.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Offline Statto

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
will take tonight's result but now onto sheffield wednesday who won't be easy... then ipswich who've won 3 from 3 so far...

going to be difficult to get a respectable points haul this month,

with hindsight that norwich draw looks painful