watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aluko - my view

Started by JOND999, August 16, 2017, 07:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

I wouldn't want to see him go to one of our rivals for promotion.

toshes mate

There are oceans of data from these very threads about 'what Martin brings to the table' from last season and what did he actually achieve?  Were we better with him than without him?  We will never know what a difference a good striker playing at one hundred percent for Fulham would have brought us.  I believe the same arguments should pertain to SA.  Does he strengthen us or weaken us?  I believe he adds value and I don't believe we should underestimate that value.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 09:54:31 AM
There are oceans of data from these very threads about 'what Martin brings to the table' from last season and what did he actually achieve?  Were we better with him than without him?  We will never know what a difference a good striker playing at one hundred percent for Fulham would have brought us.  I believe the same arguments should pertain to SA.  Does he strengthen us or weaken us?  I believe he adds value and I don't believe we should underestimate that value.

I agree with you about Aluko.
As for Martin, I am erasing him from my memory.
For me he goes in the cupboard marked, "Very Disappointing".
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

westcliff white

He has atributes that add for sure,  but if he was asking for say an extra 3 years at another 10k a week are they worth that?

Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Quote from: westcliff white on August 18, 2017, 10:01:40 AM
He has atributes that add for sure,  but if he was asking for say an extra 3 years at another 10k a week are they worth that?

I guess if he helps to bring us promotion to the PL he has earned the requested bonus and, perhaps, more.  Problem is do we settle what we may owe him now or wait until after the event.   Who'd be the one who has to sort out all the pro's and con's but, if it were down to me, I'd give him a worthwhile incentive to hit the back of net ten times this season.

westcliff white

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 10:07:51 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on August 18, 2017, 10:01:40 AM

I guess if he helps to bring us promotion to the PL he has earned the requested bonus and, perhaps, more.  Problem is do we settle what we may owe him now or wait until after the event.   Who'd be the one who has to sort out all the pro's and con's but, if it were down to me, I'd give him a worthwhile incentive to hit the back of net ten times this season.
It is a tough call i agree. For me he has to improve his crossing and finishing to get an extra 10k per week, and at his age probably wont happen. But then if he had allthat he would not be with us. I cant help but believe some of his unsettledness (is that a word?) is down to his agent and a;lso Stams comments

toshes mate

I agree with you WW, simply because SJ is a hard taskmaster as we are getting to know.  Clearly SA has been around long enough to know the signals on the training ground and may have repeating doubts about the final pieces of making his performances too good to ignore, which is a shame because I don't see Reading as a step up for anybody. 

westcliff white

Quote from: toshes mate on August 18, 2017, 10:55:51 AM
I agree with you WW, simply because SJ is a hard taskmaster as we are getting to know.  Clearly SA has been around long enough to know the signals on the training ground and may have repeating doubts about the final pieces of making his performances too good to ignore, which is a shame because I don't see Reading as a step up for anybody. 
neither do I thats a backwards step form us for sure, they dont play the way he suits depsite what Stam says

bill taylors apprentice

You cant blame a player for trying to secure his future by negotiating an improved contract in time and salary.

I'm wiling to accept his overall performance brings benefits to the team beyond is inability to score and cross the ball better, he's always available and works tirelessly off the ball, I also think his personality and approach to games is an important plus to teamwork and morale.

I would hope there's some flexibility on both sides to keep him with us and everyone happy but as free agent when he signed for us I can't imagine he didn't have other offers and therefore used them to get a good deal, such as big signing on fee etc.

It looks like he's a good senior pro to have around the team and for that alone it would be a shame to lo :blow candles:se him but if push come to shove he has no right to expect an upgrade just because the likes of TC got one.

J.Perkins

Aluko is a very good player for us. Dribbling, speed and effort outclass every winger we have. However finishing isn't his strong point, and he is at his latter end of his career.

We have Ayite, Kebano, Ojo, Sessegnon and Kamara to cover the wings. Maybe selling Aluko in order to invest in other positions would be good business. He is a high earner and we could easily get £5m for him.

Be a shame to see him go, but he has the right to protect his career. Had a fantastic year with him, what will be, will be.

ToodlesMcToot

Aluko is a sticky decision. He does bring that ability to break a defense with his skill and we have not had a player since the Dems were around that could. There's a lot of value in what he brings on the pitch. He's never been criticized over his commitment or effort - qualities that aren't quantifiable but that matter greatly. He does have issues with finishing but, still scored around double digits last season. That's a lot of contribution to the cause.

On the other hand, he's dead in the middle of his prime years. He's on a contract for one more season + club option which, along with his performance last season likely means he is at his peak value right now. I don't know his current wage but, I'd have a difficult time arguing that there isn't some argument for a raise and more security with a new deal. If the club need the funds because of the number of signings they've made and the number the need to make, it seems likely that we need to sell someone that is sought after and valuable to us. If we don't agree that he's worth the wage that he wants, then we have to judge when is the right time to sell what is now a player whose value on the open market is on the decline. Clubs would know he is discontented and would use that against us. Plus the longer we wait, the older he gets, the shorter his contract gets.

I don't want to sell him and certainly don't want a 20 yr old with no experience in Slavisa's system taking on his responsibilities. But, if the right offer comes along and ffp obligations require that we sell in order to pay for the players we are bringing in, then I will not be angry with the club. I'm sure that Slavisa will be angry, as he's said that it would be foolish to sell Sone. But, I also note that Slavisa has stopped short of arguing that the player is worth more than he is making.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Porthogs FC

Lots of good points on here. Pro's an cons?

Pro:
Works hard
Great at running at and beyond a defender
Created an enormous amount of scoring opportunity for himself and those around him
relatively reasonable wages (only known from other commentary, not itk)
at 28, in his prime

Cons:
We have 8 players (Aluko, Kebano, Sess, Ayite, AK-47, Piazon, Ojo, Fonte) that can fill the three top positions. Williams, De la Torre and Humphrys also in the wings
Last year we got him on a free, this year we could get $5MM+ for him
He doesn't contribute as much to team play as he should (too much head down play, hardly looks for the pass and plays a more hope and pray model)
Many of the opportunities that he creates in 1v1 situations are wasted
He wants more money.

Capture the story?

With FFP to consider, and our increasing size of our squad, players like Aluko are able to be sold at a profit and are not absolutely necessary for a promotion push. I think of Malone when I use this commentary. He was essentially "bought" on a free because Jazz Richards was sub par. We cashed in there, I'm sure with FFP and smart business in mind. With Ojo coming on board, our ability to keep all wingers happy is getting harder and harder. I've heard nothing but "settled" behaviour from Kebano, Sess, Ayite, Piazon. Ojo, Fonte and AK47 are new. Aluko has used some interesting language on twitter and is obviously pushing for something more.

Sell for $5MM+, but only if all money is reinvested into squad that pushes us to FFP limit. This could be the difference between a starting CB/GK that we need.

AlexW132

Quote from: Porthogs FC on August 18, 2017, 03:27:25 PM

Pro:
Works hard
Created an enormous amount of scoring opportunity for himself and those around him
at 28, in his prime

Cons:
We have 8 players (Aluko, Kebano, Sess, Ayite, AK-47, Piazon, Ojo, Fonte) that can fill the three top positions. Williams, De la Torre and Humphrys also in the wings
He doesn't contribute as much to team play as he should (too much head down play, hardly looks for the pass and plays a more hope and pray model)
He wants more money.

Capture the story?

With FFP to consider, and our increasing size of our squad, players like Aluko are able to be sold at a profit and are not absolutely necessary for a promotion push. I think of Malone when I use this commentary. He was essentially "bought" on a free because Jazz Richards was sub par. We cashed in there, I'm sure with FFP and smart business in mind. With Ojo coming on board, our ability to keep all wingers happy is getting harder and harder. I've heard nothing but "settled" behaviour from Kebano, Sess, Ayite, Piazon. Ojo, Fonte and AK47 are new. Aluko has used some interesting language on twitter and is obviously pushing for something more.

Sell for $5MM+, but only if all money is reinvested into squad that pushes us to FFP limit. This could be the difference between a starting CB/GK that we need.
I very much agree with you, the big issue is Slav's fondness for him. If he goes, Slav will be pissed off to say the least.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: AlexW132 on August 18, 2017, 05:31:49 PM

Pro:
Works hard
at 28, in his prime

Cons:
He wants more money.

Capture the story?

I very much agree with you, the big issue is Slav's fondness for him. If he goes, Slav will be pissed off to say the least.

If he goes, Slav will have to reserve some of his ire for Sone. It's appears likely that Sone is the one forcing the situation, not the club. He's obviously within his rights to secure the best deal possible but, the club is equally within its rights standing by the existing deal. And if they see their asset devaluing himself by creating a bad situation within the organization, then I support them selling high rather than let a little bit of rot potentially turn into something bigger and far more damaging to their promotion aims. Slav may not like it but he'll need to understand it and get on with the season.

I will say that it's difficult to get a read on things. Slav made him interim captain. Is that to show the club how much he values Sone? Or is there just really no trouble at all and Sone is just 2nd in line for that responsibility?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Porthogs FC

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 18, 2017, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on August 18, 2017, 05:31:49 PM

Pro:
Works hard
at 28, in his prime

Cons:
He wants more money.

Capture the story?

If he goes, Slav will have to reserve some of his ire for Sone. It's appears likely that Sone is the one forcing the situation, not the club. He's obviously within his rights to secure the best deal possible but, the club is equally within its rights standing by the existing deal. And if they see their asset devaluing himself by creating a bad situation within the organization, then I support them selling high rather than let a little bit of rot potentially turn into something bigger and far more damaging to their promotion aims. Slav may not like it but he'll need to understand it and get on with the season.

I will say that it's difficult to get a read on things. Slav made him interim captain. Is that to show the club how much he values Sone? Or is there just really no trouble at all and Sone is just 2nd in line for that responsibility?

At this point, I think Slav will be happy either way. He see's the club truly putting money into players, I for one don't care about loans or permanents. He, I think, will also be more interested in overall quality of squad, not necessarily if they're permanent or not.

Knowing that we still have almost 2 weeks to work with, to find 1 - 4 new players (if I'm greedy, GK, LB, CB, CF), we can still afford to loose 1 - 4 players if that all happens. Sone, Madl, Bett's or Butt's will all go if we can find mostly like for like replacements. Except for Sone, I think we look for another CF to replace him if we replace him at all. He might go without anyone incoming, and we use those funds for better quality elsewhere (CB, GK). We've left #5 open still, so that should indicate another starting CB to come in. Also, if we switch to 3 - 5 - 2 formation (which could be done with another quality CB), Sone can for sure be sold.

Lots to think about

toshes mate

A lot of good points on this page. Personally I think SA makes a lot of contributions off the ball as well as on the ball and his knowledge of the game must be worth oodles to the younger and less experienced lads in the squad in training sessions etc.  I'd like to keep him because there are certain things that you just cannot measure via money.

hovewhite

Quote from: toshes mate on August 19, 2017, 08:31:45 AM
A lot of good points on this page. Personally I think SA makes a lot of contributions off the ball as well as on the ball and his knowledge of the game must be worth oodles to the younger and less experienced lads in the squad in training sessions etc.  I'd like to keep him because there are certain things that you just cannot measure via money.
I'm with you 100%

Riverside

Sadly Aluko didn't do much to convince he deserved a new contract today . Was his mind elsewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luka

Quote from: Statto on August 19, 2017, 05:52:54 PM
Quote from: Riverside on August 19, 2017, 05:45:54 PM
Sadly Aluko didn't do much to convince he deserved a new contract today . Was his mind elsewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an understatement. He did nothing at all, and couldn't even take 2 chances that other players put on a plate for him. We just cannot be that profligate, need to get rid quick.
He was dross today. I lost count of how many times he lost the ball after dribbling into trouble.
Honestly, I would just let him go to Reading or whoever else that will pay a decent wedge for him. His end product, especially in front of goal is none existent.

ffc73

I was amazed he appeared out at the start of the second half today. He looked totally disinterested & was easily run off the ball or just lent on