News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why are our "Stats Team" against signing a Veteran?

Started by Wearethewhites, August 20, 2017, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

To give it a bit of context I think an 'old head' centre half of about 30 and a hard nosed (preferably many times broken), time served CF with 20 goals in him would go down quite well just now.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MikeW on August 21, 2017, 05:06:25 PM
To give it a bit of context I think an 'old head' centre half of about 30 and a hard nosed (preferably many times broken), time served CF with 20 goals in him would go down quite well just now.

You can say that again ⚽️👍
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Simple really there's no sell on value for these players,not on the pitch money wise,unless there's a financial sell on they don't by veterans.

love4ffc

Quote from: hovewhite on August 21, 2017, 05:53:42 PM
Simple really there's no sell on value for these players,not on the pitch money wise,unless there's a financial sell on they don't by veterans.
Quote from: King_Crud on August 21, 2017, 03:32:50 PM
What the stats don't show is how development was assisted by the older heads around them. Even the Man U "kids" team had some older players to provide experience in the dressing room, you can't put that into numbers

Sums it up for me.  You can't really put a price on the value of a player like Scotty or Murphy.  Especially in a difficult hard-hitting league like the Championship. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

NJFulham

Quote from: love4ffc on August 21, 2017, 06:15:09 PM
What the stats don't show is how development was assisted by the older heads around them. Even the Man U "kids" team had some older players to provide experience in the dressing room, you can't put that into numbers

Sums it up for me.  You can't really put a price on the value of a player like Scotty or Murphy.  Especially in a difficult hard-hitting league like the Championship. 

ream is like 28. kmac 27? those are 'old heads' imo.

..FOF..

Quote from: toshes mate on August 21, 2017, 04:46:15 PM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on August 21, 2017, 12:33:43 AM
As a Data Company, it is in their interest to sign younger players.
Good luck on the courses but don't get too carried away with AI.

I most certainly understand the comments about younger players and accuracy of data, especially if there is concurrency of input which leads to more reliability and accuracy but I would be truly surprised if a computer can spot subtlety in data at all.  Computers can point to a significant but small statistical difference as a potential error or anomaly of note, but subtlety is much, much more than that.  Given that the data input is most likely tick boxed down into manageable chunks and those feeding in the data are humans who don't always get it right then there are certain things that are unreliable as anything other than a crude guide.   You can certainly measure facts  and some trends but computers are notorious at getting output wrong because the input is wrong.   Another human being can see you may be slightly off colour or out of sorts when a computer would standstill completely transfixed by the question asked.   I am all for furthering the uses of machines but if we look, for example, at the data produced to back global warming and climate change we now know that a lot of it is rubbish and the warming trend is so small at the moment that the year on year difference is smaller than the margin of error allowed for in the sophisticated measuring equipment.   But that doesn't stop the computer models from churning out rubbish.   

I think we need to be very careful when trying to understand what computers are really useful for.

Yes, I do try not to get carried away hehehe

A.I. in sports is very much in its infancy although the data goes way back.

Nobody or no machine can predict a good future buy with high accuracy at the moment.

Nonetheless, it does not stop companies from chasing this "Unicorn" :)

People like to go treasure hunting and big money in sports would certainly mean big money in Big Data for whoever who cracks it.

I think the biggest buyer will be the media looking at how they love to mess up the tv screens nowadays :D

love4ffc

Quote from: NJFulham on August 21, 2017, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on August 21, 2017, 06:15:09 PM

ream is like 28. kmac 27? those are 'old heads' imo.

Maybe...and not to knock Ream or Kmac, but neither are really a Scotty or Murphy type leader.  Don't see either of them being a captain who inspire and fire up younger players.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

toshes mate

Quote from: ..FOF.. on August 22, 2017, 12:25:03 AM
Yes, I do try not to get carried away hehehe
A.I. in sports is very much in its infancy although the data goes way back.
Nobody or no machine can predict a good future buy with high accuracy at the moment.
Nonetheless, it does not stop companies from chasing this "Unicorn" :)
People like to go treasure hunting and big money in sports would certainly mean big money in Big Data for whoever who cracks it.
I think the biggest buyer will be the media looking at how they love to mess up the tv screens nowadays :D
Good that you are level headed and have a sense of logic, essential to fighting back against the rise of machine lead 'progress' [sic].

The problem with AI is when it is taken out of its comfort zone.  Things like 'Push Doctor', for example, are based on book based fifty year old texts of algorithms which can guide the user through a series a simple yes/no responses to advice about whether they need medical care today, tomorrow or not at all.  The algorithms laid out on paper are amazingly simple to follow and give subtle hints but used on a machine, where you do not see the other possibilities because of your chosen answers, it loses the subtlety intended by the author.

For football/sport to make use of machine AI it requires people to understand the algorithms, their pluses and minuses, how their pluses could be improved, how the minuses could be avoided, and I honestly don't believe from what I know about people like Kline that they have the skill sets necessary to do that.  For him it's about the wrong things entirely which is why we have such a difficult set up at Fulham..