News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It should have been one minutes silence.

Started by The Swan, August 20, 2017, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Instead of having one minutes applause for the victims of the Barcelona dead, we should have had one minutes silence.

Remember when Fulham played Liverpool away on the anniversary of Hillsborough and we observed one minutes silence.
As we all observed this all the Liverpool supporters applauded us .

I did not applaud but bowed my head and observed one minutes silence.

This is what everyone should have done. During the one minutes applause you could hear fans talking.
The Swan

F(f)CUK

I find that the silence is more poignant and I was surprised that we chose to applaud. I think applause is intended to stop idiots from ruining the moment. From a personal standpoint I find it easier with the applause as my disabled son doesn't understand silence and despite the fact that we usually sit in different stands, I can always hear him during the minute's silence.

RaySmith

I think that's the reason - in case anyone  shouts and spoils the silence.

love4ffc

I find that with all things today, it falls to the parents to teach their young how to have couth, be respectful and offer proper condolences when required.  Then there are those who just never could learn their lessons and just don't care. 

I can understand both the silence and the applause.  I would personally would observe the silence.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

b+w geezer

Yes, it does seem odd to  be applauding the effects of a terrorist incident, as opposed to the memory of a distinguished  individual.

The probable reason for choosing that option has been mentioned, but I question whether the odd stray voice spoils a fundamentally well-kept silence. To my mind only a concerted chant would do that, with a random aberration that's soon hushed down serving actually to emphasise how no-one else is stirring.

What's for sure is that a mass silence is theatrical.

Dr Know

Quote from: The Swan on August 20, 2017, 10:20:37 PM
Instead of having one minutes applause for the victims of the Barcelona dead, we should have had one minutes silence.

Remember when Fulham played Liverpool away on the anniversary of Hillsborough and we observed one minutes silence.
As we all observed this all the Liverpool supporters applauded us .

I did not applaud but bowed my head and observed one minutes silence.

This is what everyone should have done. During the one minutes applause you could hear fans talking.
Likewise when we played liverpool at the cottage , oct 2005 , we had a minutes silence for johnny haynes , you could hear a pin drop , credit to the scousers .  Silence over applause everytime .

The Enclosurite

It did feel a bit 'wrong' to applaud.  Definitely a minute silence would have been more appropriate on this occasion.  Did other clubs do this too or just us?
¡COYW!

Skatzoffc

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2017, 08:23:42 AM
Agree with the OP and the responses

But I must say, without wishing to be too harsh or political, IMO it wasn't really appropriate to do anything at all. 500 people died in the African mudslide last week, 10 US navy sailors have died this morning in a boat accident, and none of them got or will get a minutes silence/applause despite us having players from both those regions in our team. Personally getting a bit sick of all the empty gestures about terrorism.
Its a really difficult one. I do think football did it this week because it was Barcelona. Did we do it for Berlin or Nice? I cant really remember but I dont want to sound harsh but a minutes respect for various reasons (including terrorism, ex players and others) seems to be happening maybe every 3 to 5 games. Not a lot in many ways, but is it too much? When do you reach the point of it becoming just another thing we do at the start of a game? 

There is a place for it dont get me wrong. And on main point (clap or silence) it depends on who or what the minute is for.
Just the views of a long term fan

Ordar

Yeah I thought it was very very strange to have applause

bill taylors apprentice

By clapping are we making a gesture, We stand together against such mindless, evil barbarity! rather than bow our heads in silence in respect of the dead?

I don't know, either way it does seem a bit PC sometimes but we live in a world were the outpouring of emotion by people far removed has become the norm.

westcliff white

was exactly what they had at southend united against Plymouth
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2017, 08:23:42 AM
Agree with the OP and the responses

But I must say, without wishing to be too harsh or political, IMO it wasn't really appropriate to do anything at all. 500 people died in the African mudslide last week, 10 US navy sailors have gone missing this morning in a boat accident, and none of them got or will get a minutes silence/applause despite us having players from both those regions in our team. Personally getting a bit sick of all the empty gestures about terrorism.
+1

Lighthouse

It is a  modern phenomena the one minutes applause. I think the idea is to applaud the bravery of the fallen and injured and those that survived. Trying a positive reaction to an awful situation. Personally I am of the age where a minutes silence did seem to mean more. People unaware or just coming in where soon informed and it felt  poignant.

Still in these happy clappy times we have to pretend to be positive.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

b+w geezer

It's true that attention fastens on those in similar circumstances to our own. And one English victim in Barcelona makes the front page when his many child mudslide counterparts do not. That kind of thing is reasonably open to comment. However, it's also true that public displays in terrorism cases are not just about sympathy, but solidarity and defiance. A natural disaster does not call for that.

HamsterWheel

I suspect they went for applause rather than silence as many Sheffield fans were still finishing their beers and cheering heartily before taking their seats. That would have continued and marred the silence.

toshes mate

It's interesting to read the posts above - from Lighthouse and b+w geezer to note the contemporary nature of applause and the notion of solidarity and defiance as being the driving force, thus excluding natural disasters as worthy of empathy.  Personally I do not need to be at an organised event to have my personal thoughts, peaceful silence, or clapping hands to make me aware and empathetic with where we are as a species.  There are those of us who show concern, compassion and care on a daily basis, via our work, the way we are, and the fact we should all be looking after each other all the time.  As the 'hero' in the stabbings of women in Spain said 'I am not a hero I did what I could do because that is who I am'.  His words are sublime, profound and emotional and show how truly human he is. 

Lighthouse

Quote from: toshes mate on August 21, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
It's interesting to read the posts above - from Lighthouse and b+w geezer to note the contemporary nature of applause and the notion of solidarity and defiance as being the driving force, thus excluding natural disasters as worthy of empathy.  Personally I do not need to be at an organised event to have my personal thoughts, peaceful silence, or clapping hands to make me aware and empathetic with where we are as a species.  There are those of us who show concern, compassion and care on a daily basis, via our work, the way we are, and the fact we should all be looking after each other all the time.  As the 'hero' in the stabbings of women in Spain said 'I am not a hero I did what I could do because that is who I am'.  His words are sublime, profound and emotional and show how truly human he is.

Very interesting point as I say the same thing about memorial days etc. However I think the point is it is not for you or me but for society to show the victims and loved ones. We/some  need to be seen to be making a gesture as opposed to a private mourning. As evidence just look a the reactions to Diana's death and the long drawn out up and coming  anniversary. An awful lot of people want to be seen and wanted to be moved and deeply scared by it. Whereas others either deal with mourning as a private things and really would prefer the silence.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

b+w geezer

Can confirm that I am also sad to read of a natural disaster. With others have just been trying to discuss on here why these public shows get to be organised, as opposed to enthuse about their existence. Personally I share the concern that they're becoming devalued by frequency.

I still prefer silence over applause in the case of a tragedy. At the natural end to a distinguished life in football, a minute of clapping commends their contribution, but that's different.