more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eni Aluko

Started by aaronmcguigan, August 21, 2017, 07:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40995165

The video of her opening up about everything. The lines between banter and bullying, slander and targetted treatment . Different people take things different ways but there's been (if she's right) some woeful comments made to single her out.
Is it bullying or is it the difference between cultures and the ignorance of one managers style which doesn't fit all players?
Don't know The full ins and outs of it but Aluko has received a 80k payout despite the findings that Sampson done no wrong other than to voluntarily change his style?

Seems like a messy situation but thought I'd share the video

westcliff white

Agree its a messy situation, other players defended Sampson and said the context was different, but then why make the pay out etc.

everyone involved is a loser in this situation
Every day is a Fulham day

Holders

Thanks for sharing. She's a player I rate and I shall be interested to watch it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2017, 09:07:18 PM
I have to say I'm not overwhelmed by sympathy. Yes the Ebola comment is a bit off, but not necessarily racist, and if that's the very worst of it, not to mention even that is disputed, and she got £80k, and she's still going on tele crying... sorry but she comes across a bit precious IMO.
But it is clearly racist by virtue of the context in being said about a player from Nigeria.  It was not the only 'racist' incident which the FA has, allegedly, failed to investigate properly and complacency is a highly dangerous game to play.  We really do need to kick out any avoidable nastiness in football and society and we don't do that by trying to hide it. 

westcliff white

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2017, 09:22:54 AM
I have to say I'm not overwhelmed by sympathy. Yes the Ebola comment is a bit off, but not necessarily racist, and if that's the very worst of it, not to mention even that is disputed, and she got £80k, and she's still going on tele crying... sorry but she comes across a bit precious IMO.
But it is clearly racist by virtue of the context in being said about a player from Nigeria.  It was not the only 'racist' incident which the FA has, allegedly, failed to investigate properly and complacency is a highly dangerous game to play.  We really do need to kick out any avoidable nastiness in football and society and we don't do that by trying to hide it. 
Racism and any ism needs to be stopped.

Its hard to get the contect from what ALuko said or from what has been said by the FA as we do not have the full transcript.

I do not know what she stands to get form this either way she is finished, I also do not understand why the FA paid her 80k if there wa no case to answer.

As I said earlier there everyone is a loser in this situation

Milo

Ultimately the joke was inappropriate and can cause offence. I think people do occasionally make the odd risqué joke here and there. In the right environment and among friends then its taken how it was intended I.e. lightly!

However, realistically Mark Sampson is a young coach who should be aware that times are changing and especially in a professional environment he has to be careful.

I do not think we are getting the full story here. I would suggest that there is some long running feud between the two and Aluko sees this as her opportunity to draw blood. 

bill taylors apprentice

I was told a long time ago by a black guy in my cricket team that as a black man if he perceived something to be racist then it was!

I'm not sure if its true but I see where he's coming from, the trouble is we now live in a PC world where many find it easy to be insulted.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2017, 09:22:54 AM

Racist comment my backside.
I tell you what a racist comment is,Diane Abbott saying all white people are racist.
You want be able to look at someone of a different colour in  few years time in fear of being sued.
Country going insane....

Holders

I had a secretary who was of Afro-Caribbean origin, lovely girl and we got on well. She came back from holiday and I asked her if she'd had a good time and told her that she had a nice tan. She took it in the spirit it was intended but I had to know her well (and she me) to even say it. Anyone who says something like that must be sure of their ground or it could (unintentionally) give offence. Sometimes things are said that mean no harm but are clumsy or could be misinterpreted and that may have been the case here. If people have suffered discrimination in the past they're going to be prone to (over-)sensitivity.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Quote from: Milo on August 22, 2017, 09:30:19 AM
Ultimately the joke was inappropriate and can cause offence. I think people do occasionally make the odd risqué joke here and there. In the right environment and among friends then its taken how it was intended I.e. lightly!

However, realistically Mark Sampson is a young coach who should be aware that times are changing and especially in a professional environment he has to be careful.

I do not think we are getting the full story here. I would suggest that there is some long running feud between the two and Aluko sees this as her opportunity to draw blood. 
There is no forgivable context for 'levity' based on racism.
If Eni Aluko, or anyone else for that matter, has suffered a wrong then she is entitled to seek justice, which is what she is, in my opinion, solely being driven by.  This isn't about revenge it is about people having the same respect for all fellow human beings regardless of who they are, where they come from, or what our opinions of them may be.  If we expect respect from others then we must first give that respect ourselves.     

toshes mate

I would recommend a film, 'Get Out', loosely a Wes Craven-ish style comedy-horror but heavily embroiled in the underlying problem of white-black racism.  There are many moment of awkwardness which are not easy on the eyes and ears, and, in my opinion, helps to show how ignorant and stupid we are and can be about racism in its many different guises.

I wish Eni justice. 

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2017, 09:46:33 AM
Quote from: Milo on August 22, 2017, 09:30:19 AM

There is no forgivable context for 'levity' based on racism.
If Eni Aluko, or anyone else for that matter, has suffered a wrong then she is entitled to seek justice, which is what she is, in my opinion, solely being driven by.  This isn't about revenge it is about people having the same respect for all fellow human beings regardless of who they are, where they come from, or what our opinions of them may be.  If we expect respect from others then we must first give that respect ourselves.     

I think you need to calm down Tosh and get off your Soapbox,we all know the rights and wrongs of things stop preaching... Your not a Hyde Park Corner speaker are you....lol

toshes mate

Perhaps you are one who is on a soap-box, Mince, and how well it does suit you.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2017, 09:54:18 AM
I would recommend a film, 'Get Out', loosely a Wes Craven-ish style comedy-horror but heavily embroiled in the underlying problem of white-black racism.  There are many moment of awkwardness which are not easy on the eyes and ears, and, in my opinion, helps to show how ignorant and stupid we are and can be about racism in its many different guises.

I wish Eni justice. 

Did it show what Cambridge University study of it resulted in that Black people (am I allowed to say black) are 20% more racist than white...What's your answer to that?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on August 22, 2017, 10:01:36 AM
Perhaps you are one who is on a soap-box, Mince, and how well it does suit you.

Really your the one preaching to everyone not me,I'm just replying to you...lol

Lighthouse

I was brought up in a different age and so naturally find it all very odd. Doesn't mean it is wrong to find a needless joke insulting. I just don't get the tears and the idea that it was insulting.

In an argument many years ago with a turban wearing gentleman about a work related matter. He lost his temper and suggested I was an overweight, self pleasuring, mentally ill person. In reply I said I hoped his accident wasn't too bad and that his bandages would come off soon. A racist comment. He smiled and accused me of having being born out of wedlock and we remained friends and discussed football and not work related matters in the future.

I am not sure that nowadays we would not both be  guilty of many different hate crimes. Plus if there was a statue of some hero nearby, one of us would wish to take it down because it was not politically correct and it upset one of our sensibilities.

Insults and bullying are disgraceful in any context. However I am not sure now that we don't tend to look for insults where none was necessarily intended. Not sure about Eri Aluko's case because I don't know context etc. I just hope we don't become over sensitive to comments made. In the end it just leads to more needless hate.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

We all have the capacity to be racist, Mince, and there are many studies that reveal how pernicious it is.  Nobody is immune, and percentages are irrelevant in judging its 'evil'.

As Alveda King said 'Racism springs from the lie that certain human beings are less than fully human. It's a self-centered falsehood that corrupts our minds into believing we are right to treat others as we would not want to be treated'.

westcliff white

I am going to lock the thread before it becomes toxic.

Shame as it was ok up to a point