watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RUFUS BREVETT FOFERVIEW

Started by dannyboi-ffc, September 04, 2017, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

In this FOF'erview Dannyboi speaks to the one and only Rufus Brevett. 2 promotions, the Intertoto Cup and playing in the Premier League. It's a fantastic Fulham career and one of the many reasons RUUUFUUUUS was so popular.

Dannyboi Hi Rufus. Thanks for agreeing to speak to us, its an honour for me personally as your team gave me the best memories so far as a supporter and that Tigana side remains my favourite team.  I suppose I'll start off by telling you what a legend you are and that you're very popular with supporters. How did you feel about your relationship with the fans?

Rufus Right from the minute I signed the fulham fans have been amazing with me, the chants of Ruuufffuuusss use to make me give everything for them and the club, great fans who deserve to be back in the premiership.

Dannyboi I've met you a few times, most recently at the Cottage. I saw you and Barry Hayles in McBride's last game of last season against Bolton. All the supporters were queuing up for a photo with Tunnicliffe and I tapped you on the shoulder and said "sod him, I want a picture with the legends lol". I don't suppose you remember, you must get this a lot?

Rufus Yes I remember, it's always nice to be appreciated from the fans for my time there.

Dannyboi You played for Doncaster, QPR, Fulham and West Ham amongst others. What club do you class as home?

Rufus I loved my time at Doncaster Rovers. Its where it all started for me. But QPR and Fulham I class as home (even though I'm not a Londoner!).

Dannyboi Lets talk about how you started out for a second. Who was your role model in football growing up?

Rufus I loved watching Kenny Sansom and Stuart Pearce, I replaced Kenny at QPR which was very strange.

Dannyboi Did you always set out to be a left back? 

Rufus I started playing as a striker then moved to left midfield. When I got released by my home club team Derby County, Doncaster Rovers needed a left back and the first time I played left back was for Doncaster on trial, I signed the next day and was in the first team 3 months later!

Dannyboi How did you become a footballer?

Rufus Being a footballer is always what I wanted to do, when I got released from Derby I was determined to proved them wrong, I did that when I signed for Fulham. Arthur Cox, who released me at Derby was now the Director of Football at Fulham, and said to me "I knew you'd make it". I didn't reply!

Dannyboi Looking back at your career, when it became clear that you were not going to get an opportunity to play for England, were there any other countries you were eligible for and do you look at it as a missed opportunity that you never played international football? Barry Hayles played for Jamaica for example, and Matthew Briggs has a cap for Guyana!!!!

Rufus I had a chance to play for Jamaica but there was a lot of unrest in their squad with all the English jumping on the band wagon so I decided not to. I regret that decision...

Dannyboi What made you choose Fulham? Was it the fact it was a straight forward move from QPR, Kevin Keegan or a different reason?

Rufus I never wanted to leave QPR but I was told if I didn't leave I would be stuck in the reserves. Kevin Keegan sold it brilliantly and all what he said came true. In a phone call to me he said "this is Kevin Keegan, we are the big club around the corner from your little club", I laughed because QPR were a division higher, and he said you won't be laughing in a couple years! He was true to his word!

Dannyboi Was it weird playing under Bracewell after just being promoted with him as your team mate?

Rufus Brace is a great guy and a proper football man, we all wanted him to succeed and he tried is best.

Dannyboi What was the reaction of the squad when Tigana arrived and did he have all the players teeth checked? I bet that was a first lol?!

Rufus We all knew what a world class player he was and there were rumors going round that he would bring all his own players in. I had been out for 6 months when he came in and only just started pre season, he set out how he wanted us to play from Day One. I ended up getting a gold tooth!!

Dannyboi A game that's often spoken of is the famous win over Blackburn with Seany Davis popping up with the winner. "IN YOUR FACE SOUNESS!!!" Sorry, got a bit carried away there lol. Obviously this game was a mixed bag for you as you were sent off in the first half. I know how I felt during the game and then afterwards. What was going through your mind in the changing room and how did you react to that goal?

Rufus That was one of the most satisfying wins of my career , a lot said before the game from Souness how they were the best team in the league and right from the start they tried to rough us up. I stupidly got sent off and I just thought I'd let everyone down. When Sean scored it was an amazing feeling. Even the usually-quiet Tigana showed some emotion running down the touchline! He just said to me to learn from it. We stayed up north and clinched promotion on the Saturday

Dannyboi It was a special occasion at Old Trafford for the first premier league game. Was this the first time you'd played there and can you describe how it felt? I was there and I remember feeling the whole occasion was surreal, like a dream. But the team didn't seem overawed by the occasion, if anything we looked the better team for most parts.

Rufus I was suspended for that game, there was no pressure on us and we were magnificent on the day.

Dannyboi Where's your medal for winning the Intertoto Cup? It's always a trophy that is the butt of most jokes and of course we have the song "we won it one time". But deep down I think Fulham Fans are proud we won it, I certainly am. It's just a shame we won it "over there" rather than at the home of football - the Cottage. Where does it sit in a list of your proudest career achievements?

Rufus It will be in a drawer somewhere, it's a very proud moment lifting the tiny cup, it was a great experience playing teams in Europe. I captained the team so I was thrilled .

Dannyboi How many of your Fulham team mates would make up the best eleven you've ever played with throughout your career?

Rufus

Maik Taylor

Me
Melville
Coleman
Finnan

Boa
Collins
Davis
Goldbaek

Les Ferdinand
Saha

Subs
Van Der Sar
Goma
Lee Clark
Di Canio
Hayles

Dannyboi What was Al Fayed like?

Rufus Al Fayed was brilliant, who else would bring Micheal Jackson to a championship match??

Dannyboi The promotion under Keegan was also special but it gets forgotten a bit, overshadowed if you like by the Tigana promotion. Yet both teams achieved 101 points. Do you prefer one to the other looking back or are you equally proud of both?

Rufus Both were great achievements, and both teams played without fear. I think Tiganas team kept the ball more than the other team who would get tired trying to chase the ball, then gaps would open and we'd be 3 or 4 up.

Dannyboi This is a tough one. Who's got a bigger mouth, Clinton Morrison or his mother?

Rufus For the record his mum never had a go at me, Clinton had all the mouth on the pitch but couldn't back it up off the pitch! He started trying to talk Jamaican to me so I politely reminded him that he was actually Irish 😂😂😂

Dannyboi Who was your room mate when staying in hotels?

Rufus Wayne Collins was my roomie.

Dannyboi Who were you closest to in the team?

Rufus We all got on with a great team spirit. Collins, Coleman & Finnan if I had to pick.

Dannyboi Do you keep in touch with anyone?

Rufus A few via twitter.

Dannyboi During your time at FFC who was the best player that you played with?

Rufus Best player played with has to be Van Der Sar or Saha.

Dannyboi You played for Keegan, Bracewell and Tigana. What were the differences between the 3 of them?

Rufus Tigana was a great coach and had a "total football" approach. Keegan was a great motivator. Bracewell was very organized.

Dannyboi Do you remember either of your two Fulham goals (one was a winner v Stoke in a league match, the other was an equaliser v Rochdale in the league cup).

Rufus Stoke was a 1-2 with Bracewell and a finish from a tight angle. Rochdale was on 9/11, we got to the hotel and saw the pictures on the TV, just awful. We were losing the game and I gambled on a flick on and shot from inside the box, my celebration was taking my shirt off only because that's what their player did when they scored! Very embarrassing.

Dannyboi When you joined West Ham it was a bit sudden. Was there any particular reason why you left?

Rufus Because Tigana told me he was leaving, if I knew Coleman was going to be the manager I would've stayed.

Dannyboi You're back in management now with Hanworth Villa. How did that opportunity come about and how do you feel about the upcoming season? Have you clashed with the stats guy over transfers yet??

Rufus We have a good bunch of players, finished third last season so hopefully we can build on that.

Dannyboi And finally, it's a Friends of Fulham tradition to ask........pie or pasty (which filling)

Rufus Pie, steak and kidney please .

Dannyboi Thanks again Rufus for giving us so much of your time and effort. We really appreciate it. On behalf of Fulham fans everywhere, thank you for some very special times and I wish you the best of luck with Hanworth Villa.

Rufus Thank you.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

RaySmith

Brilliant interview Danny, with a true Fulham legend.

keith

Burt

Ruuufus, Ruuuufus, Ruuuuufus  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Nice one Danny, a good read.

Wolf

Great read. Is the Collins in Rufus' best XI John or Wayne (I presume John but see he was good mates with Wayne)?
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Wolf on September 05, 2017, 08:11:35 AM
Great read. Is the Collins in Rufus' best XI John or Wayne (I presume John but see he was good mates with Wayne)?

Good question! Didn't even give this a thought because anyone that's seen the two of them play would assume John lol.

If you look at the rest of his team it's the Tigana side

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Southcoastffc

How can Rufus not be anyone's super hero?  Great stuff Danny - thanks.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

What a great character, someone who played with his heart. I could always forgive his odd mistake because of his 100% attitude and his empathy with the fans.

Holders

He was a real gentleman. After the last game of the season (Rufus hadn't joined long) my ex and I were waiting for the other results to see if we'd made the play-offs. Rufus was on the cottage steps and the ex went up to him and had a chat - how well he'd played etc. He was charming. "I don't think I played very well, ma'am".

I remember his goal against Stoke taken from a tight angle, a real winger's goal, so it's interesting to read that he'd started off as a forward.

Also sad to read that he'd not have left if he'd known that Coleman was taking over as manager.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Delboy

Played for and managed Hanworth Villa, still a season ticket holder there as well as FFC. Get down there whenever the opportunity arises. Rufus is a great advocate for the professional footballer, a charming man and has time for anyone and everyone. Great interview Danny. COYW

hovewhite

dannyboi-ffc

Cheers guys. I found the way Keegan sold the club to him quality! The big club around the corner from your little club lol

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Holders

I wonder if he'll read all this good feedback he's getting. You there Rufus??
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on September 05, 2017, 06:55:41 PM
I wonder if he'll read all this good feedback he's getting. You there Rufus??

He will. I messaged him to let him know it was up.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

One James stannard

filham

Well done Dannyboi, a great interview with a true Fulham favourite.

Rufus was so popular with all the Fulham fans and we just haven't had a better left back since he left us.

bill taylors apprentice

A top pro and a very good player on and off the pitch!

dannyboi-ffc

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

rweller86

@rweller