more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (13/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2017, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

PREVIEW: Fulham v Hull City

Leonid Slutsky apologised to the fans following Friday's abysmal showing at Derby County. Just as well that match wasn't on the telly and broadcast to the whole nation... oh. Yet, Slutsky is hardly the villain of this piece. Being told 'the supermarket is shut' only to see two key members of the squad leave shortly after, tells you all you need to know about the hollow words of the Allams. For now, the Russian will be low down on the hit-list for who to blame concerning the current shenanigans going on at this club.

Indeed, the City boss has received some positive news on the injury front, as Fraizer Campbell is added to the squad that will travel to London, after he overcame a recent groin problem that was troubling the striker. Jackson Irvine will be hoping to get a full debut in midfield following his move from Burton Albion late in the transfer window, after a brief appearance from the bench during the mismatch with Derby County.

On to Fulham, then. Surprisingly, the Cottagers are yet to win a home game this season. Then, along come Hull City, right on cue... However, before we all throw our collective hands up in despair, the Tigers' record at Craven Cottage is pretty good - and we won there last time we met in the league. Ex-Tiger Tom Cairney is still missing from the team through injury, along with Sheyi Ojo. But, manager Slavisa Jokanovic is hoping to welcome back Rui Fonte and Neeskens Kebano to his selection options. 

http://www.hullcityindependent.net/?page=news&news_id=2065

WhiteJC

Why Roy Hodgson deserves another chance
by Dan on September 12, 2017

The back of this morning's Times newspaper made Roy Hodgson out to be a senile old man. The headline to Alyson Rudd's piece on his impending appointment as Crystal Palace's successor to Frank de Boer said he would 'take [the] Palace job aged 70'. I've searched in vain for similar stories denoting Harry Redknapp's age when he aged to coach Birmingham City last season and found none. This isn't the first time Hodgson has been decried in such a manner. The back page of the Sun made fun of his speech impediment the day after his unveiling as England manager.

Of course, it is that spell in charge of the national team that garners most attention. Being beaten by Iceland, after all, is his most recent act as a football manager. That defeat cut him deeper than anybody else but, whilst it showed that international football had progressed significantly since he had seen Switzerland to their best finish at a major tournament, it also served as a timely reminder that England, once the creators of the game, were no longer a footballing powerhouse. The suggestion on a national radio station by Joey Barton that England's performances under Hodgson deserved to see him 'taken out to the garden and shot' was crass even by that particular cretin's standards.

Liverpool fans were never particularly wild about Hodgson either. He didn't fit the mould of Anfield managers or play the type of football that such a storied club desired. It is his achievements after Anfield, with West Bromwich Albion that are probably most appropriate to compare with the situation he inherits at Selhurst Park this evening. When he was appointed at the Hawthorns, the Baggies were hovering above the relegation zone on goal difference, but after five wins and five draws in their last twelve fixtures, Albion finished eleventh in the Premier League – their highest ever position in three decades. The following year, Hodgson guided the Baggies to tenth with wins over Wolves, Chelsea and Liverpool, before accepting the FA's approach to replace Fabio Capello.

Hodgson's methods are meticulous and repetitive, not exactly designed to appeal to the modern footballer. More than one high-profile player has decried his training sessions as devoid of entertainment and several pundits based in this country have railed against his sterile football, but Hodgson's sides are built not to get beat. His teams might be regimented but there's no substitute for organisation and discipline, qualities that can go a long way when facing modern sides who can be cavalier in their approach.

No Fulham fan will need reminding of Hodgson's miracles by the river Thames. Fulham were down among the dead men when he was appointed to replace a desperately out of his depth Lawrie Sanchez – but Hodgson was regarded as yesterday's man even then. One young journalist even asked his colleagues who Hodgson was following Fulham's unveiling – presumably having only been brought up on a surfeit of Premier League football. The Whites' great escape in 2008 was the stuff of legend – spurred on by a win at Manchester City from 2-0 down when relegation seemed a formality, Fulham went on to beat Birmingham and home and then survive courtesy of Danny Murphy's header at Portsmouth.

Hodgson was mocked for paying big money to bring in Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil from West Ham, but the following season brought a seventh place finish, with wins over Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United, and a place in the Europa League, which initially appeared a distraction with its summer start. It soon became anything but. Progression through the group stages with a memorable victory in Basel seemed a real achievement, but the journey was just getting started. Fulham disposed of the holders Shakhtar Donestsk, before overturning a three goal deficit to knock out Juventus – with Chris Baird and Dickson Etuhu in central midfield – and toppling Wolfsburg and Hamburg to reach the final against the might of Atletico Madrid. His side, with no stars and a work ethic that made light of their 60 game season, were only beaten with three minutes of extra time remaining by opponents who could count David de Gea, Raul Garcia, Diego Forlan and Sergio Aguero amongst their number. His fellow coaches voted him the LMA's manager of the year by a landslide margin never seen since.

Hodgson's achievements on the continent are less well-known but worth recalling given that his longevity in the game is now being used against him. He won a total of eight Swedish titles with Halmstads and Malmo in a period where he was crediting with reinventing the domestic game, reached a UEFA Cup final with Inter Milan and won the Danish double whilst coaching FC Copenhagen. Nobody in Scandinavia would hear a word said against Hodgson either. He was 'knighted' for his services to Finnish football after he stupendously almost guided the national side to Euro 2008.

There is plenty to be said about the process that led Crystal Palace to appoint de Boer and the shoddy nature of his dismissal after just four games. Much of the media reportage following the Dutchman's departure has focused on the fact that, with players paid north of £100,000 a week, the south London club can't afford to drop out of the top flight. The last time they were in trouble they opted for Sam Allardyce. He spoke on Monday Night Football last night about just how difficult it is to catch up to the rest when you are marooned at the bottom. Hodgson knows just how tough the task is. He also has a track record of securing survival. Palace couldn't have picked a better man to get themselves out of this fine mess.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/09/why-roy-hodgson-deserves-another-chance/

WhiteJC

Ian Holloway hails QPR depth after former Leeds and Fulham man comes off the bench to score equaliser against Millwall

Speaking after the game, Holloway reflected on an action-packed 90 minutes, and says he is pleased that he now has the option to make effective substitutions to change games.

QPR manager Ian Holloway has hailed his side for fighting back to secure a 2-2 draw against Millwall.

Speaking after the game, Holloway reflected on an action-packed 90 minutes, and says he is pleased that he now has the option to make effective substitutions to change games.

He said: "It's a very emotional game isn't it. It's a wonderful local derby, everything's happening, everyone is getting stuck in, they scored a brilliant goal, a wonder goal. What a fantastic strike.

"It rocked us to the core then we didn't quite do what we needed to do, and then in the second half when we looked like we were going to, and then we let another one in against 10 men.

"Normally QPR would fold but I'm really pleased that we kept solid and understood where the spare man was. We didn't just launch it even when Smithy's come on, how many saves has their keeper made? I'll have to have a look at it. Unbelievable.

"We hit the bar twice and we could have had a hat-full. I'm saying, we understood where the spare man was, we worked it to the spare man with the right balance and then we've put it in the box and our bench is so strong these days that I can cause anybody problems.

"So if it's not working, keep believing, keep going and i'll make some changes and hopefully we'll have a chance in every game."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-hails-qpr-depth-13612067

WhiteJC

Jackson Irvine says it's now time for Hull City to stand up and be counted

The Tigers are aiming to bounce back from their humbling defeat at Derby County

Jackson Irvine believes Hull City 's trip to Fulham provides an early test of character as a new-look squad aims to quickly banish the memories of their Derby County horror show.

City return to action at Craven Cottage tonight in need of a lift after seeing their campaign suffer a shuddering setback when soundly beaten 5-0 at Pride Park last time out.

A third defeat in four games leaves head coach Leonid Slutsky targeting immediate improvements and Irvine wants to help inspire a timely reaction in the capital.

"It's important to see how we bounce back from a result like that, to see the character we've got in the squad," said Irvine, who is in contention to make his full City debut tonight.

"We just have to learn from it very quickly and make sure it doesn't happen again.

"It's also important in these periods because these short burst of games between international windows leading up to Christmas can be very important to your season.

"You'd rather have the points sooner rather than later so if we can get points on the board now it stands us in good stead for later in the year. All it takes is a run of six and seven games and you can fly up the league, even less than that sometimes.

"That was only our first game with the full set of players we're going to have until January and the more time we spend together, the more we'll gel. That's the beauty of the Championship, that turnaround to put things right very quickly."

Five nights after a humbling loss at Derby, City face another tough assignment away to a Fulham side that finished in the Championship play-offs last season.

"We've had a discussion about the game and we'll just look to move on from it as quickly as possible," said Irvine.

"I remember last season Huddersfield got beat 5-0 at one point (away to Fulham) and Reading got beat 7-1 (at Norwich) at another point. Sometimes these results happen when you want to play expansive, attacking football.

"Every team in the Championship possesses the quality to punish you on the day. Hopefully we'll do that to plenty of other teams this season."

Irvine, signed from Burton two weeks ago in a £2m deal, made his first appearance for City when coming off the bench for the final 20 minutes at Pride Park.

The Australian was unable to salvage a lost cause with the Tigers already trailing 5-0 but tonight he is being considered for a first start in City's midfield as Slutsky considers changes.

"It wasn't the ideal situation to play your first game but football very rarely goes to plan," said Irvine, who scored in Burton's 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage last season.

"I don't think I've ever had a positive result on my debuts for any of my clubs so hopefully we can change things around. Fulham will be another tough game for us."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jackson-irvine-says-its-now-465396

WhiteJC

Leonid Slutsky urges his Hull City side to embrace "serious pressure" at Fulham

Tigers search for capital gains after losing 5-0 at Derby County last time out

A year ago this week Leonid Slutsky was preparing for the start of another Champions League campaign with CSKA Moscow, joining a group where he would his pit his tactical wits against Tottenham, Monaco and Bayer Leverkusen.

Tonight's trip to Fulham in the Championship is a much less glamorous challenge for the Russian but Hull City's 5-0 defeat at Derby County last Friday ensures his managerial skills are left to face another big test.

In only his sixth league game in charge of the Tigers, Slutsky was forced to digest the heaviest loss of his professional coaching career at Pride Park. Apologies were made to supporters and promises were made that lessons would quickly be learned.

Slutsky's honesty and charm continues to see him command the universal backing of supporters but he knows the importance of bouncing back in the capital this evening.

"The match against Fulham is not only a match, it's a big test of our character and our willpower," Slutsky said ahead of leading his City troops to West London this evening.

"It's a key moment in this situation and we must show a reaction after an unbelievable defeat against Derby.

"It's a serious pressure, of course, because everybody understands that we must recover quickly in a short time.

"It's a serious pressure for each player, staff, the head coach and the supporters. It's a very difficult moment in the building of a new team."

After the opening month had concluded with an emphatic victory over Bolton Wanderers and then brought the recruitment of new boys Jackson Irvine, Nouha Dicko and Fakayo Tomori, a cautious optimism has soon been diluted by Friday's defeat at Derby.

A third defeat of the Championship season was the most dispiriting day of Slutksy's short reign and also suggested City remain a work in progress following a turbulent summer.

Slutsky will consider changes, such as starts in midfield for David Meyler and Irvine and a potential recall for Fraizer Campbell, but he wants to see a reaction carried from the training ground to Craven Cottage.

"In training always everything is good," said Slutsky. "I didn't see any problems in training sessions because each player is very professional and training very hard in each training session.

"I couldn't understand our problems because each training session I didn't have a problem with the players.

"It's a very unpredictable situation. Maybe it's better because we don't have a time to think more about the situation or maybe it will be bad because we don't have time to change some things."

Slutsky afforded himself no time for self-pity over the weekend, heading straight to the capital from Derby to witness Fulham's 1-1 draw at home to Cardiff.

A third home game without a win leaves the Cottagers level-pegging with City ahead of tonight's meeting, with both teams in need of a victory to kick-start their season.

"I went a lot of times last season and I watched the game against Cardiff on Saturday," added Slutsky, who lived in London after leaving CSKA Moscow last December.

"Fulham are more dangerous now in the counter attack, rather than the possession attack but the class of their players they can play in all kinds of situations. Last season their quality of game, they were the best in the Championship."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leonid-slutsky-urges-hull-city-465531

WhiteJC

Patience required as Slutsky looks for the right solutions

AFTER a night as chastening as last Friday, Hull City could be forgiven for looking at tonight's assignment in the capital with some trepidation.

Fulham, joint favourites for promotion alongside Aston Villa before a ball was kicked in anger this season, may have had a slow start but there is no doubting the attacking armoury at Slavisa Jokanovic's disposal.

The Londoners were the joint top scorers in last season's Championship, meaning a defence that was cut open almost at will in the 5-0 hammering at Derby County will have to be on its guard. Slutsky's task since that embarrassing loss has been to lift spirits and instil some pride back in a group of players who left the field at Pride Park shell-shocked. "It was very difficult to explain my emotions on Friday night," said the Hull head coach ahead of taking on a Fulham side who have lost just one and drawn four of their half dozen league games this season. "No-one believes in our team but I must change that situation. "If I am speaking only about problems, that is not a good position. I must solve our problems.

"My target now is to change this situation. We need patience but we don't have too much time. We have to bounce back in our next match." Hull were beaten 4-1 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup last season but tonight's likely XI will be very different to the one fielded by Marco Silva with only Evandro and David Meyler of the 14 players on duty that January afternoon still at the club. Jon Toral is one of those who arrived during the summer window to replace the host of big name departures and he admits there must be a response to that sorry loss at Derby in what was his full debut for the Tigers. "It was a bad result on Friday," he said. "We need to react quickly in the Fulham game. We need to be ready to put it right. "Our heads went down after the penalty (missed by Seb Larsson at 1-0). We have to react better and keep ourselves in the game. "The team and staff have been fantastic with me and I am very grateful for that. I am looking forward to putting the Derby game aside and kicking on. We have to look to Fulham and be ready." Evandro and Fraizer Campbell will be assessed after recovering from injury as Hull look to claim a first away win in the league this season at the fourth attempt.

Last six games: Fulham DDLLWD, Hull City WLLLWL.
Referee: T Robinson (West Sussex).
Last time: Fulham 4 Hull City 1; January 29, 2017; FA Cup.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city/patience-required-as-slutsky-looks-for-the-right-solutions-1-8750593

WhiteJC

Fulham v Hull City: Patience required as Slutsky looks to find right solutions for Tigers

AFTER a night as chastening as last Friday, Hull City could be forgiven for looking at tonight's assignment in the capital with some trepidation....

Fulham, joint favourites for promotion alongside Aston Villa before a ball was kicked in anger this season, may have had a slow start but there is no doubting the attacking armoury at Slavisa Jokanovic's disposal.

The Londoners were the joint top scorers in last season's Championship, meaning a defence that was cut open almost at will in the 5-0 hammering at Derby County will have to be on its guard.

Slutsky's task since that embarrassing loss has been to lift spirits and instil some pride back in a group of players who left the field at Pride Park shell-shocked.

"It was very difficult to explain my emotions on Friday night," said the Hull head coach ahead of taking on a Fulham side who have lost just one and drawn four of their half dozen league games this season. "No-one believes in our team but I must change that situation.

"If I am speaking only about problems, that is not a good position. I must solve our problems.

"My target now is to change this situation. We need patience but we don't have too much time. We have to bounce back in our next match."

Hull were beaten 4-1 at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup last season but tonight's likely XI will be very different to the one fielded by Marco Silva with only Evandro and David Meyler of the 14 players on duty that January afternoon still at the club.

Jon Toral is one of those who arrived during the summer window to replace the host of big name departures and he admits there must be a response to that sorry loss at Derby in what was his full debut for the Tigers.

"It was a bad result on Friday," he said. "We need to react quickly in the Fulham game. We need to be ready to put it right.

"Our heads went down after the penalty (missed by Seb Larsson at 1-0). We have to react better and keep ourselves in the game.

"The team and staff have been fantastic with me and I am very grateful for that. I am looking forward to putting the Derby game aside and kicking on. We have to look to Fulham and be ready."

Evandro and Fraizer Campbell will be assessed after recovering from injury as Hull look to claim a first away win in the league this season at the fourth attempt.

Last six games: Fulham DDLLWD, Hull City WLLLWL.

Referee: T Robinson (West Sussex).

Last time: Fulham 4 Hull City 1; January 29, 2017; FA Cup.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city/fulham-v-hull-city-patience-required-as-slutsky-looks-to-find-right-solutions-for-tigers-1-8750593

WhiteJC

Did You Know: Fulham (a)

Get to know our next Sky Bet Championship opponents - Fulham - a little better, with six facts you may not have known about the Cottagers.

1 The Club was born when a school teacher and churchwarden formed a team for local boys at Fulham St Andrew's Church in 1879. Although cricket initially took the priority, seven years later, the team won their first silverware, the West London Amateur Cup, beating St Matthew's 2-1 in the Final.

2 Fulham's first recorded all-white kit came in 1903, and ever since then the Club has played in all-white shirts and black shorts, with socks going through various evolutions of black and/or white.

3 The first England international to play for the Club was Albert Wilkes, who joined from Aston Villa in 1907 after winning five caps. It wasn't until 1922 when a Fulham player played for England: Frank Osborne against Ireland in October.

4 The Fulham mascot is Billy the Badger, who was the winning design sent in by Kyle Jackson after an online competition run by the club. Billy the Badger wears the number 79 Fulham shirt, in reference to the club's year of founding (1879).

5 Fulham are a member of the European Club Association having qualified three times for European Competition - qualifying for the Intertoto Cup and the Europa League (twice) - and have never lost a home game in European competitions.

6 Sean Davis is the only player to have represented Fulham in all four divisions.

https://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/articles/2017/201718-did-you-know-fulham-a/

WhiteJC

Category One Status Retained

The Club is pleased to announce that our Academy has retained its Category One status.

Under the Elite Player Performance Plan, Fulham has held the highest possible status since its introduction in the summer of 2012, and will now continue to enjoy the benefits that come with it.

"It's really important for a club for our size and standing, to be competing with the best clubs' youth development in the country," commented Academy Director Huw Jennings.

"We're very proud of our Academy and we are delighted to have received further affirmation of our work."

The Club recently built an indoor facility at our Motspur Park Training Ground as part of a redevelopment project funded entirely by Chairman Shahid Khan, and have further invested by purchasing the land adjacent that was previously owned by the BBC.

"The other thing that is critical to us is the demonstration of the fantastic support we have had from the ownership and the executive of the Club," Jennings added.

"They have backed the programme with a massive injection of cash into our facility development both last season and also for the long term future with the acquisition of the former BBC ground.

"When the rules relating to facilities changed, we knew that it was going to be a very tall order to first of all gain the planning consent, to build the new facilities, and to get them completed in time to the satisfaction of the Category One auditors.

"We managed to achieve both and I think that's attributed to a fantastic team effort. I should absolutely compliment [Chief Operating Officer] Darren Preston and his team, the facilities development programme was an outstanding achievement.

"The best thing for me about the facility development is that absolutely everyone at the Club and within our local community benefits."

The Club recently built an indoor facility at our Motspur Park Training Ground as part of a redevelopment project funded entirely by Chairman Shahid Khan, and have further invested by purchasing the land adjacent that was previously owned by the BBC.

"The other thing that is critical to us is the demonstration of the fantastic support we have had from the ownership and the executive of the Club," Jennings added.

"They have backed the programme with a massive injection of cash into our facility development both last season and also for the long term future with the acquisition of the former BBC ground.

"When the rules relating to facilities changed, we knew that it was going to be a very tall order to first of all gain the planning consent, to build the new facilities, and to get them completed in time to the satisfaction of the Category One auditors.

"We managed to achieve both and I think that's attributed to a fantastic team effort. I should absolutely compliment [Chief Operating Officer] Darren Preston and his team, the facilities development programme was an outstanding achievement.

"The best thing for me about the facility development is that absolutely everyone at the Club and within our local community benefits."

Asked about the role high-class facilities play in bringing through and developing players, Jennings responded: "No-one should anticipate that having a good Academy is because you have good facilities.

"You need to have a culture and environment that enables the best young players to develop and reach their full potential.

"If you look at the quality of facilities available throughout academy football, then you clearly have to be aspiring to have the best available for your own programme.

"Almost without exception people comment on the warmth of the welcome when they come to Fulham, and that starts with the reception team and goes all the way through to every member of staff who works at the Club.

"That more than anything means a huge amount to me and my team in the Academy, that the Club is fully supportive of the Academy programme.

"There is no doubt that when you build and develop facilities, and when you demonstrate you want to move the Academy forward, that is attractive for players to join the Club and, frankly, also for players to stay at the Club.

"Those things are critical to success, and in any industry you need to be demonstrating that you are moving forward and aspiring to develop your programme to be the best you can be, and we are no different."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/13/category-one-status-retained

WhiteJC

Our Character Faces A Serious Test Now - Slutsky

Head Coach Leonid Slutsky knows his players will face a serious test of their character when they take on Fulham at Craven Cottage tonight (KO 7.45pm).

The Tigers are still licking their wounds after a 5-0 drubbing at Derby last Friday and will be looking to bounce back against the Cottagers, with Slutsky admitting the side owe their travelling fans a performance.

"This isn't just a match for us now, it is a big test for our character and for our willpower," said Slutsky.

"It is a key moment in this season and we must show a reaction after what happened at Derby and that unbelievable defeat.

"It is a serious pressure now because everybody understands that we must recover quickly from what happened. The pressure is for the players, for the staff and for the Head Coach after a difficult moment in building a new team.

"Maybe it is better that we have this midweek game because it means there isn't as much time to think about what happened at Derby, but it also means we haven't had as much time to change some things because really we want to change some very important things in the team.

"It is important that we give the travelling fans a good performance. We still apologise to those that went to Derby. We know that a Wednesday night is not the best time for fans to be travelling to a game in London, but we hope that the fans that do go to the game will be right behind the team as the support is very important to us."

Slutsky's men will come up against a Fulham side that has matched the Tigers' points tally for the season so far and the Russian is expecting a tough evening at a ground he knows well.

"I think they have changed their model a little bit since last season," added Slutsky.

"They have very fast players in attack and are very dangerous on the counter-attack. However, they don't just rely on this and the class of player they have means they are good at many different systems.

"For quality, I think Fulham were the best team in the Championship last season and they are a very dangerous side.

"I have been to Craven Cottage many times and I was there at the weekend to watch Fulham's match against Cardiff."

https://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/articles/2017/201718-slutsky-fulham-a-preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kevin McDonald expecting open game as Hull City visit Craven Cottage

Hull have scored and conceded 12 goals this season and the Scotsman is anticipating what could be a very high scoring game

Kevin McDonald reckons tonight's game with Hull City has the potential to be a very open game, joking that it could end up 6-6.

Leonid Slutsky's side visit the Cottage on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Derby in front of the Sky cameras on Friday night, while Fulham are still looking for their first win at home after drawing 1-1 with Cardiff City on Saturday.

Both sides have yet to find their best performances and both are in a similar position in the table having gained seven points so far, with Hull losing three games whilst the Cottagers have lost just once.

Hull have scored 12 and conceded 12, while Fulham are known for their attacking football and tonight's game has all the hallmarks of a high scoring game - something that McDonald is prepared for.

He said: "It could be about six each!

"We watched them on Friday night on the TV and we've had a meeting about them this week, but it's got the potential to be an open game but we know ourselves what we have to do to win these games."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-kevin-mcdonald-expecting-open-13613028

WhiteJC

Hull City's Jarrod Bowen keen to get the back on horse with a win Fulham

With four goals to his name Bowen is City's top scorer this term

Jarrod Bowen is eager to set the record straight tonight as Hull City bid to move on from their 5-0 defeat at Derby County.

The Tigers crumbled at Pride Park allowing the Rams to run riot on their home turf and extend City's winless run away from home to 21 league games, their last win away from the KCOM Stadium coming in August 2016 against Swansea City.

It also leaves City with in the bottom half of the table with one win in their last four. But just five days after they have the chance to out that behind them, something Bowen is keen to do.

City's top scorer is keen to get back on the horse at Craven Cottage and pick up three points to kick-start the Tigers' season.

"Last Friday wasn't good and we all know that," Bowen told the club website.

"As much as we all know that it wasn't really a 5-0 kind of game, we also know that you have nights like that in football and maybe one of those will go our way later in the season.

"For now, we have to forget about that game and get it out of our system. With that in mind it's a good thing that we have another game a few days later and we have to use this game against Fulham to put things right.

"It won't be easy against Fulham. We played them down there in the FA Cup last season and they were very good.

"We know what to expect from them, so we have to make sure we are on our game in order to get the three points."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-citys-jarrod-bowen-keen-468699

WhiteJC

Shine On

David Button is sporting a lovely pair of black eyes - the result of an accidental training ground collision - when he walks into the communications office for his official matchday programme interview.

But you get the feeling that it would take more than a couple of shiners for Button to relinquish his starting spot between the sticks.

Having watched last term's run-in to the Play-Offs from the substitutes' bench, Button was back in for this season's opener against Norwich City and been ever-present in the league since. He's keen for that to continue.

"Looking back on last season, there were some highs and there were some lows, as is the life of a goalkeeper," concedes Button. "There are things I'd like to improve on and hopefully I'll get the chance to show everyone this season what I can do.

"Was it hard watching the run-in from the bench? Yes and no. Every footballer is desperate to play but I fully understood the reasons why I wasn't. I was behind the lads and wishing them well. It was unfortunate we couldn't get over the line so there was frustration there. But the season as a whole was a very good one for Fulham."

To read the full interview with Button, get your hands on the programme on Wednesday.

Other highlights from the publication include:

Chairman Shahid Khan brings fans an exciting update on the Riverside Stand redevelopment
    Slaviša Jokanović and Tom Cairney pen their latest columns
    Liam Rosenior recalls his spells at Fulham and Hull City
    Kevin McDonald takes our nine-dart challenge
    Bjarne Goldbaek talks us through a Fulham-related picture of him
    Allan 'Sniffer' Clarke picks his Whites 'Dream Team'
    And Gordon Davies discusses everything FFC

Priced £3.50, the 100-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from Programme Master where you can also purchase an annual subscription and past editions.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Pocketmags from 1am on Wednesday morning.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/13/button-programme-hull

WhiteJC

Fulham v Hull City preview: Team news ahead of Craven Cottage clash

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney will miss out on a Sky Bet Championship reunion with former club Hull at Craven Cottage on Wednesday.

Cairney missed Saturday's 1-1 draw with Cardiff and continues to be troubled by a knee injury that ruled him out of Scotland's World Cup qualifiers against Lithuania and Malta earlier this month.

Loan signing Sheyi Ojo will also be absent with a swollen ankle suffered on international duty with England U21s, while Rafa Soares has yet to start training with the group as he also battles an ankle problem.

However, Rui Fonte and Neeskens Kebano are expected to return and bolster manager Slavisa Jokanovic's attacking options.

Hull boss Leonid Slutsky is expected to make changes after their 5-0 thrashing at Derby last Friday.

Fraizer Campbell returns to the squad after missing the last two league games with a groin problem.

Australian midfielder Jackson Irvine could make his first start for the Tigers after arriving from Burton at the end of the transfer window, while David Meyler and Adama Diomande are also in contention.

Ondrej Mazuch (knee) and Evandro (hamstring) are close to full fitness again but will not travel to Craven Cottage.

Opta stats

Nine of the last 15 league meetings between these sides at Fulham have ended in draws, with both sides winning three apiece in the other six encounters.

Hull, who picked up a victory at Craven Cottage in their last league visit there, haven't won back to back away league games there since October 1911.

Hull's games this season have seen 24 goals; no side has seen more goals in their games with Hull scoring 12 but also conceding 12.

Fulham haven't kept a clean sheet in any of their last 12 league games at Craven Cottage, they last went on a longer run without a shutout in February 1989 (13 successive games).

However, the Cottagers have scored in 20 of their last 21 home games in the league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-hull-city/preview/374694

WhiteJC

Match Pack: Fulham (a)

Get the lowdown ahead of tonight's Sky Bet Championship clash away at Fulham...

THE MATCH
Fulham vs Hull City
Tuesday 13th September 2017 (KO 7:45pm)
Sky Bet Championship
Craven Cottage

TEAM NEWS
The Tigers have Fraizer Campbell available again for the trip to Craven Cottage. Campbell has missed the last two league games with a groin problem but returns to boost Head Coach Leonid Slutsky's attacking options.

Ondrej Mazuch (knee) and Evandro (hamstring) are close to a return but not ready to feature against Fulham, while there are no fresh injury concerns in the wake of the defeat at Derby last Friday.

Abel Hernandez, Kevin Stewart, Will Keane, Moses Odubajo and Ryan Mason remain on the injury list.

Fulham will be without midfielder Lucas Piazon and defender Rafa Soares, while Tom Cairney, Rui Fonte, Neeskens Kebano and Sheyi Ojo all missed the weekend draw with Cardiff City. Deadline day signing Jordan Graham will be hoping to make his debut after being an unused substitute on Saturday.

PRE-MATCH TALK
Leonid Slutsky knows his players will face a serious test of their character when they take on Fulham at Craven Cottage tonight (KO 7.45pm).

The Tigers are still licking their wounds after a 5-0 drubbing at Derby last Friday and will be looking to bounce back against the Cottagers, with Slutsky admitting the side owe their travelling fans a performance.

"This isn't just a match for us now, it is a big test for our character and for our willpower," said Slutsky.

"It is a key moment in this season and we must show a reaction after what happened at Derby and that unbelievable defeat.

"It is a serious pressure now because everybody understands that we must recover quickly from what happened. The pressure is for the players, for the staff and for the Head Coach after a difficult moment in building a new team.

"Maybe it is better that we have this midweek game because it means there isn't as much time to think about what happened at Derby, but it also means we haven't had as much time to change some things because really we want to change some very important things in the team.

"It is important that we give the travelling fans a good performance. We still apologise to those that went to Derby. We know that a Wednesday night is not the best time for fans to be travelling to a game in London, but we hope that the fans that do go to the game will be right behind the team as the support is very important to us."

Jackson Irvine, meanwhile, is confident that the Tigers can produce a positive response and bounce back when they face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Wednesday night.

Five days on from a horrible 5-0 defeat against Derby County, Leonid Slutsky's side will be looking to show their character and Irvine has picked up on some positive signs in recent days.

"The reaction has been positive and I think that started in the second half at Derby," he said.

"It would have been easy to go into our shell and crumble again in the second half but we didn't and we at least showed some fight and created some chances.

"The first training session after that showed that we were all going to put that night behind us and focus on moving forward. We need to have learnt from the mistakes that we made against Derby and focus on the next few games.

"We've done a lot of tactical work in the last few days to get ready for Wednesday night. Fulham are a very good side and it will be tough for us going away from home again but it's a great opportunity for us to bounce back.

"It will be a tough night. I think Fulham are a side with a lot of pace and flair going forward. They've made a few changes since last season but remain a very good side technically.

"We'll be aware of all of that but we'll also be focussing on our own game plan which we want to get us over the line."

OPPOSITION VIEW
Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is expecting tonight's clash at Craven Cottage to be an open game.

Both sides have yet to find their best performances and both are in a similar position in the table having gained seven points so far. The Tigers have scored 12 and conceded 12, while Fulham are known for their attacking football, suggesting tonight's game has all the hallmarks of a high scoring affair - something that McDonald is prepared for.

He said: "It could be about six each! We watched them on Friday night on the TV and we've had a meeting about them this week, but it's got the potential to be an open game but we know ourselves what we have to do to win these games."

FORM GUIDE

Hull City's Last Five Results
L0-5 vs Derby County (a)
W4-0 vs Bolton Wanderers (h)
L0-2 vs Doncaster Rovers (a)
L1-2 vs QPR (a)
L2-3 vs Wolves (h)

Fulham's Last Five Results
D1-1 vs Cardiff City (h)
W2-0 vs Ipswich Town (a)
L0-1 vs Bristol Rovers (h)
L0-1 vs Sheffield Wednesday (h)
D0-0 vs Leeds United (a)

STATS
Nine of the last 15 league meetings between these sides at Fulham have ended in draws, with both sides winning three apiece in the other six encounters.

The Tigers registered a 1-0 win on their last league visit to Craven Cottage and are chasing back-to-back league wins there for the first time since October 1911.

Fulham have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 12 league games at Craven Cottage, they last went on a longer run without a shutout in February 1989 (13 successive games).

OFFICIALS
Tim Robinson will take charge of the Tigers' Sky Bet Championship trip to Fulham on Wednesday night.

Robinson has manned eight matches so far this campaign, dishing out 22 yellow cards and six red cards along the way.

Assisting Robinson will be Ian Cooper and Robert Hyde, while Keith Stroud will be on fourth official duty.

HISTORY
This will be the 93rd competitive meeting between these two sides. The Tigers have won 35 of those games, drawing 27 and losing the other 30. In away fixtures against the Cottagers, the Tigers have won 11 of 46 in all competitions, with 15 draws and 20 defeats.

LAST TIME OUT
The Tigers endured disappointment on their previous trip to Craven Cottage as the home side inflicted a 4-1 defeat on Marco Silva's side to progress the fifth round of the FA Cup.

The hosts took the lead as Sone Aluko volleyed in against his former club before Evandro levelled on 49 minutes.

Chris Martin restored the hosts' lead five minutes later, with further goals Ryan Sessegnon and Stefan Johansen completing the scoring.

Marcus Bettinelli saved two Abel Hernandez penalties in two minutes, before producing an excellent stop to deny substitute Josh Tymon late on as Fulham deservedly reached the fifth round for the first time since 2011.

TICKETS
Tickets are no longer available to purchase in advance. Fans can pay at the turnstiles Craven Cottage this evening (cash only), but please note that prices will rise by £5 for those paying on the night.

FOLLOW THE ACTION
Don't worry if you can't make it to Craven Cottage for whatever reason, as we'll be keeping you right up to speed with events during today's game. Our social media channels will keep you up-to-date on events during the 90 minutes, and take you behind-the-scenes at the home of the Cottagers.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram

And don't forget to join us on Snapchat - TigersOfficial. By adding us on Snapchat you'll get to see exclusive behind the scenes content and videos throughout the night.

https://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/articles/2017/201718-fulham-a-match-pack/

WhiteJC

Three key battles Hull City must win in order to get a result at Fulham

The Tigers are looking for their first league win on the road since August 2016

Michael Hector has his work cut out with Floyd Ayite

Hull City travel to Craven Cottage tonight to play a Fulham team who are without a win at home this season.

The Tigers know they must bounce back after the humiliation of a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Derby County last time out.

Daniel Jefferson looks at the key battles City must win in order to register their first away win of the season.

Nouha Dicko vs Tomáš Kalas
Dicko will be looking to offer more of an attacking threat tonight. The Mali international found himself isolated for long periods of the game at Pride Park and struggled to make an impact as a result.

Kalas will be the one likely to try and stop Dicko in his tracks. Now 24, the Chelsea loanee has gained a lot experience after previous loan spells at Vitesse Arnhem and Middlesbrough. The centre back was one of Fulham's stand out performers last season and he will be hoping he can quash the Tigers' attacking potency, as it stands City have the second deadliest attack in the league.

Tomas Kalas, in action for Fulham against Hull City in January, was a summer target for the Tigers (Image: Getty Images)

With Abel Hernandez injured, Fraizer Campbell just recovering from injury and Adama Diomandé usually being used an impact substitute, this is Dicko's chance to make a real statement and shine in black and amber.

David Meyler vs Kevin McDonald
After a terrible midfield showing on Friday, Leonid Slutsky may look to ring the changes against Fulham. The midfield trio of Markus Henriksen, Jon Toral and Sebastien Larsson failed to show any cohesion and as a result they were ran ragged against their Derby counterparts.

Meyler will offer that steal in midfield that was desperately missing last weekend and offer defensive cover. The Irishman must keep up his high tempo style of play to get a stranglehold of the midfield and nullify McDonald.

Meyler will be key at breaking up play and getting the City attacking players into the game. It is also important that he continues running himself into the ground if he wants to stem McDonald's passing ability as he will look to play in the likes of Ryan Sessesgnon, Floyd Ayité and Yohan Mollo.

Michael Hector vs Floyd Ayité
After a calamitous performance against Derby, Hector will be looking to rectify his errors and show why he was one of the signings of the summer transfer window.

The defender was at fault for the fifth goal in the 5-0 defeat being closed down as he dallied on the ball close to his own box. His deflected clearance fell to Bradley Johnson on the edge of the area who curled the ball into the bottom corner past Allan McGregor.

Fulham's attacking front three will offer a similar threat to Derby and Hector will need to look out for Ayité. The makeshift striker managed to find the back of the net nine times last season. He's fast, skilful and has an excellent turn of pace so Hector will need to be at his best to keep Ayité at bay.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-key-battles-hull-city-469721

WhiteJC

£2.7m-rated star in attack, still no place for Norwood: The Fulham XI Jokanovic should play against Hull City tonight

The Championship action may be all but over for this round of mid-week fixtures but Fulham and Hull still have to do battle later tonight at Craven Cottage.

The men from west London have had a pretty frustrating start to their season with them drawing more games than winning and therefore they are not as high in the table as they perhaps should be.

For sure, then, the Whites need to be that bit more clinical this season but they should be able to find such form with them displaying some fine attacking football last year and at times this time around too.

And, against a Hull side that shipped five goals last time out, they'll feel as though they are going to get chances to put this game away.

For sure, then, the onus will be on the home side to attack and we reckon Slavisa Jokanovic should go with the same attacking trio as he did against Cardiff at the weekend.

Indeed, Ryan Sessegnon and Yohan Mollo should be going down the wings whilst £2.7 million-rated striker Floyd Ayite needs to be leading the line.

Meanwhile, in midfield, we're expecting Oliver Norwood to once again start on the bench despite coming on in the draw with Cardiff at the weekend whilst Jokanovic should also keep his back five the same for this intriguing clash.

Here's the line-up we reckon Jokanovic must go with, then:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-7m-rated-star-in-attack-still-no-place-for-norwood-the-fulham-xi-jokanovic-should-play-against-hull-city-tonight/

WhiteJC

Ream: We're Ready

Tim Ream is ready for a Hull City reaction under the Craven Cottage floodlights on Wednesday evening.

The Tigers were heavily beaten in their previous outing last Friday, as a rampant first half display from Derby County culminated in them running out 5-0 victors at Pride Park.

And while Ream knows that will serve as extra motivation for a side who were playing top flight football last term, he's backing his Fulham teammates to rise to the challenge.

"You look at any team that's come down from the Premier League," he explained, "and they're going to come with something to prove.

"And obviously on the back of a heavy defeat at Derby their motivation is going to be 10-fold. It's a challenge that the squad's really looking forward to."

The Whites go into the midweek encounter having lost just one league match all season.

And although we have only taken three points on one occasion as well, Ream believes the group has enough in their locker to start stringing some wins together.

"If you look at the end of last year and the run we went on, it was all about momentum," he stated.

"That's what the Championship is all about, so if we can get a win against Hull and really kick on from there, then we definitely have the squad to do big things this year, and hopefully get promoted."

Make sure you're at the Cottage as the Whites host Hull, with tickets priced from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/13/tim-ream-were-ready

WhiteJC

Fulham v Hull City - Early Team-News

Tonight those who frequent Craven Cottage, will be hoping Fulham can register a first home win of the 2017 / 2018 season.

Tonight, the Cottagers face Hull City, a side who lost their Premier League status when they were relegated last May.

Ahead of the game we have some early team news for you.

Starting with Fulham:

Slavisa Jokanovic will again be without two of his squad with Tom Cairney and Sheyi Ojo affected by knee and ankle injuries respectively.

But, on the positive side, Fulham are expected to welcome back Rui Fonte and Neeskens Kebano, both of whom have been declared fit.

Continuing with Hull City:

The Tigers new manager, the Russian Leonid Slutsky, could make changes after his side were thrashed, at the weekend, 5-0 by Derby County.

Amongst the changes being suggested are Jackson Irvine making his first start for the club and the return of Frazier Campbell who has been struggling with a groin problem.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=504595#ixzz4sZHbAOlH

WhiteJC

Can Hull City carry on their impressive record against Fulham? We take a look at the last five meetings

The Tigers have won three of their last five games against the Cottagers

Hull City make the trip to west London this evening to face Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham.

The Tigers are looking to get back to winning ways after a rather lacklustre performance at Pride Park last weekend. But could City's record against the Cottagers be a positive omen?

Dan Jefferson takes a look at the last five meetings between the two clubs.

December 28 2013: Hull City 6-0 Fulham, Premier League

Hull produced their highest every scoring win in the Premier League after they beat Fulham 6-0 to go seven points clear of the Premier League relegation zone.

The Tigers scored six second half goals without reply with Ahmed Elmohamady scoring the opener inside the box.

Robert Koren then scored after he finished Yannick Sagbo's cross and George Boyd got the third with a delightful finish.

Tom Huddlestone grabbed a fourth, which was his first goal since April 2011 and the goal which finally got him that haircut. Huddlestone had been growing his hair for charity and would cut it after scoring his first goal in two years.

Matty Fryatt got in on the act with City's fifth before Koren finished off the rout with a close range finish to complete a brace.

Hull City line-up: McGregor, Rosenior, Figueroa, Livermore, Chester, Davies, Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Sagbo, Koren, Boyd.

Fulham line-up: Stockdale, Zverotic, Riise, Sidwell, Hughes, Amorebieta, Ruiz, Karagounis, Rodallega, Kasami, Dejagah.

Attendance: 23,925

April 26 2014: Fulham 2-2 Hull City, Premier League

Hull City staged superb fight back from two down to seal a draw at Craven Cottage and all-but resign Fulham to Championship football.

The Cottagers took the lead through Ashkan Dejagah as the Iranian curled in a shot past the helpless Steve Harper.

Fernando Amorebieta then put the home side 2-0 up thanks to his headed effort, which was also his first goal for the club.

Fulham though couldn't hold onto the lead as the Tigers finally woke up. An attempted clearance from Sascha Reither hit his own crossbar via a touch from David Stockdale and Nikica Jelavic was there to pounce and head the ball into the net.

The comeback was complete when Shane Long met Sone Aluko's cross to score his fourth goal for City since his January switch from West Brom.

Fulham line-up: Stockdale, Rether, Riise, Amorebieta, Hangeland, Heitinga, Parker, Sidwell, Rodaellaga, Holtby, Diarra.

Hull City line-up: Harper, Elmohamdy, Rosenior, Davies, Bruce, Chester, Livermore, Meyler, Jelavic, Long, Huddlestone.

Attendance: 25,700

August 15 2015: Hull City 2-1 Fulham, Championship

Hull City went joint-top of the Championship after a narrow victory over Fulham. Egyptian international Ahmed Elmohamady opened the scoring for the Tigers when he met Andy Robertson's cross to head in from close range.

Former Tiger Tom Cairney then brought the KC Stadium to silence when he produced a stunning strike from 20 yards straight into the top corner to equalise

But his efforts were in vain as City asserted their dominance and managed to grab a winner four minutes from time. Jelavic headed the ball down to Aluko who put the ball past Marcus Bettinelli in the visitors' goal.

The win meant that Hull kept up their early season form and showed why they would be one of the promotion candidates.

Hull City line-up: McGregor. Odubajo, Dawson. Davies, Robertson, Elmohamady, Meyler, Huddlestone, Aluko, Akpom, Hernandez

Fulham line-up: Bettinelli, Richards, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Voser, Cairney, Chistensen, O'Hara, Pringle, McCormack, Smith.

Attendance: 16,579

23 January 2016: Fulham 0-1 Hull City, Championship

The Tigers went back to the top of the Championship table after a narrow victory away to Fulham.

Abel Hernandez, the Tigers' top goal scorer, scored the only goal of the game, tucking away a neat penalty after Moses Odubajo was brought down by Lasse Vigen Christensen.

Allan McGregor tipped away a late free-kick from Jamie O'Hara to keep the victory safe and kept Hull City's promotion hopes alive.

This was the Tigers' fourth straight league win. While Fulham had only won once in their previous 14 games meaning manager Slavisa Jokanovic was still seeking his first win in charge of the Cottagers.

Fulham line-up: Lonergan, Richards, Burn, Ream, Garbutt, Kacaniklic, Parker, O'Hara, Christensen, Cairney, Dembele.

Hull City line-up: McGregor, Odubajo, Maguire, Davies, Dawson, Robertson, Snodgrass, Livermore, Hayden, Clucas, Diame, Hernandez.

Attendance: 16,935

29 January 2017: Fulham 4-1 Hull City, FA Cup fourth round

Marco Silva's side were dumped out of the FA Cup fourth round at the hands of Fulham. The Cottagers ran out 4-1 winners and Abel Hernandez amazingly missed two penalties for Hull within two minutes.

Former City player Aluko opened the scoring but Evandro pulled the game level in the 49 minute.

Derby loanee Chris Martin restored Fulham's lead just five minutes later before Ryan Sessegnon and Stefan Johansen rounded off the game to take Fulham into the fifth round.

Fulham defender Tomas Kalas upended Hernandez but he produced a tame effort from the resulting penalty and it was saved, the ball then fell into the feet of Hernandez again and he was fouled once again. The Uruguayan then stepped up and missed.

Fulham line-up: Bettinelli, Odoi, Kalas, Ream, Sessegnon, Johansen, McDonald, Aluko, Cairney, Piazon, Martin

Hull City line-up: Jakupovic, Elabdellaoui, Huddlestone, Davies, Robertson, Meyler, Clucas, Markovc, Evandro, Diomande, Hernandez

Attendance: 15,143

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/can-hull-city-carry-impressive-470436