watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Champions League

Started by Mince n Tatties, September 13, 2017, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Last nights aggregate Big clubs 25 Rubbish sides 3.
A competition which could not be less competitive, total cartel rubbish to watch,a pale imitation of the European Cup which was a battle start to finish with all the champions.
Only 4 imo out of all taking part have a realistic chance of winning.Pointless competition in my book,just a boring money making scheme.

Woolly Mammoth

Absolutely agree, the European Cup was the real deal, it was only for Champions.
Now it's a money making circus of the jobs for the boys club, and a mediocre alternative at that.
Just makes the rich clubs richer.
But it's not a Champions Cup any more.
I cannot even remember the last time I watched one those farcical matches on the box.
I have no interest.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

Pretty sure if you only include the champions , you'll be left with a less competitive competition . No Barcelona, no Man Utd, no PSG but still having Qarabag Celtic and Anderlecht.

Plus, in your Rubbish sides, are you actually including Juventus who reached the final last year but got battered 3-0 last night?
Man Utd had a big win last night but going by UEFa , they finished 6th in their league and hadn't played in the competition since 2013/14. So they aren't defined as a big team, just got a lucky draw.
And as for the rubbish sides, there are over a hundred teams who play each other in qualifying rounds just for the honour of getting into the competition. I know one of my local teams played in the qualifiers but had no chance of winning it but it creates a massive atmosphere and privilege for the fans and clubs involved. If UEFA only wanted the best of the best , they wouldn't have 24 teams in the euros, they're motive has always been to get more teams involved that wouldn't previously have had the chance

Mince n Tatties

No matter how big a club you were,names don't mean a thing it was all the champions.
You could name practically last night before games started what the results would be and who the 2 from each group who will go through...
If you like it fair play to you,but give me European Cup any day.

Mince n Tatties

The Europa league which starts Thursday is the same,look at some of the attendance's and you'll see how popular it is with fans,a fraction who used to watch the old 2 legged Eufa Cup matches...
Too many games being played,then on top you have sides who failed to qualify for C League dropping into Europa... Nonsense.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on September 13, 2017, 02:50:22 PM
There is always going to be a big disparity between the best and worst across the whole of the continent and eras where certain teams dominate. Personally I think anyone remembering the competition differently is fooling themselves.

One thing I will say is when people joining clubs like Celtic say one of the attractions is Champions League football, someone should tell them that actually just involves them getting humiliated in games the big clubs from the proper leagues basically see as friendlies

My post is nothing to do with Celtic or any of the other sides,its to do with the old format of 2 sides in a two legged match...Champions League,the majority in there are sides who aren't champions..Nonsense.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on September 13, 2017, 03:04:27 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 13, 2017, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 13, 2017, 02:50:22 PM
There is always going to be a big disparity between the best and worst across the whole of the continent and eras where certain teams dominate. Personally I think anyone remembering the competition differently is fooling themselves.

One thing I will say is when people joining clubs like Celtic say one of the attractions is Champions League football, someone should tell them that actually just involves them getting humiliated in games the big clubs from the proper leagues basically see as friendlies

My post is nothing to do with Celtic or any of the other sides,its to do with the old format of 2 sides in a two legged match...Champions League,the majority in there are sides who aren't champions..Nonsense.

Your post was about it not being competitive. Look at the old format where teams used to win it 5 times in a row, how is that more competitive than now (where it never gets retained) ?
Do you have the same problem with the FA cup 3rd round by the way, should that competition only be open to top flight clubs?

F A Cup totally different its a domestic competition  here and other countries have the same....Read what I'm saying and stop being so arguementive like you are with most posts that go up.
My whole point is clubs taking part like Spurs tonight and Manure last night are not champions they haven't won their league.,its called the Champions league.
Last I'm saying on the subject so if you think different so be it,you like what you like....

Keynsham

LOL!

Why start a thread if you're not going to talk about it?   086.gif :005:

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Keynsham on September 13, 2017, 03:33:33 PM
LOL!

Why start a thread if you're not going to talk about it?   086.gif :005:

That was with Statto,not the rest.lol
Shi* Stirrer.

Lighthouse

The old two legged format from round 1 worked. I don't see the need for Champions League format and then the losers play in the Europa then if they lose that they can play tiddlywinks and still get a payday. The great European nights of the Sixties and Seventies were special. Man Utd in 68 at Wembley was a great night that I remember to this day. But frankly I couldn't tell you who won last season or before that. It is a money making competition and really rather dull. The Europa is a poor mans Champions League and as much as it was exciting when we reached the final and we had some special nights. Unlike other fans I never considered it as the special cup playing the best in the World.

The European competitions should be a straight knockout. The rest is just boring. Very much like the qualifying leagues in Internationals. Playing Malta does not mean very much to me. Celtic in the Champions League is the equivalent. Big club, big crowds winning every game in a non league and losing once they reach the Champions League.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jamie88

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, PSG, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Monaco, Atletico Madrid, Juventus.......

..yeah, you're right some real crap sides there. Add to that sides like Napoli, Sevila, RB Leipzig, Liverpool

What a mickey mouse competition, I'm glad we're not in it..

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Jamie88 on September 13, 2017, 04:03:44 PM
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, PSG, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Monaco, Atletico Madrid, Juventus.......

..yeah, you're right some real crap sides there. Add to that sides like Napoli, Sevila, RB Leipzig, Liverpool

The names no matter how famous have got nothing to do with it,them you mentioned never won their league so they ain't champions are they...It used to be for champions no matter who they are...
Beam me up Scottie.

f321ffc

Don't forget the all conquering Glasgow Celtic. 064.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: f321ffc on September 13, 2017, 04:15:14 PM

Don't forget the all conquering Glasgow Celtic. 064.gif

Yes we can laugh now,but they have won the European Cup.

Jamie88

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 13, 2017, 04:09:15 PM

The names no matter how famous have got nothing to do with it,them you mentioned never won their league so they ain't champions are they...It used to be for champions no matter who they are...
Beam me up Scottie.

What are you on about? Chelsea, R Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Monaco all won their leagues?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Jamie88 on September 13, 2017, 04:41:10 PM

Beam me up Scottie.

What are you on about? Chelsea, R Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, Monaco all won their leagues?

Yes...Sorry I was meaning them that hadn't.

Mince n Tatties

Statto....I've taken down my reply to you earlier which was a rather stupid comment to make..I apologize.

Jamie88

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 13, 2017, 04:42:51 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on September 13, 2017, 04:41:10 PM

Beam me up Scottie.

Yes...Sorry I was meaning them that hadn't.

Problem is Mince, is if you end up with what you are proposing then it would be an even smaller pool of candidates who could be competitive. It would be between those 5 sides (at a push), and the rest would be made up of relative minnows and every match up until the semi finals would be 3-0's, 4-0's etc.
By including other sides who have finished 2nd or 3rd in stronger leagues you are making it a better competition. Would you deny Barcelona for example but wish to allow say Dundalk straight into the first round simply because they were champions of Ireland?

westcliff white

Both the champions league and European cup were and are messed up, for me that's because they don't have an open draw and have seeded teams. If they didn't do that you would see more smaller teams progressing, however, they don't want that they want big teams and tv revenue. So basically goes back to being a money game
Every day is a Fulham day

Lyle from Hangeland

:plus one: