Author Topic: Tonight's performance in  (Read 1882 times)

Offline New Kid on the Block

• Lakey/Dark Room
Re: Tonight's performance in
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
Funny, I thought Norwood was MOTM tonight. At least the majority of his passes were forward, and he can pick out players well.

Offline RaySmith

• cebu
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
I think there are problems with confidence and team cohesion with key players injured, and new players bedding in, which a couple of wins will help to overcome.

Offline Mince n Tatties

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
I don't know how McGregor kept that one from Ayite out..Great Save.

Offline hovewhite

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »
Winning is the best way for new players to adapt and gain confidence.

Offline Carborundum

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 07:56:03 AM »
There were several wins in the second half of last season that were a bit like this one.  The team will draw strength from holding fast in what was a slightly bonkers final 10 minutes.

There's a few things to work on.  The front 3 interchanged their position a lot and I got the sense that it confused them more than the opposition.  That said we got two goals.

If we had lost the season wouldn't be looking to clever and the players knew it.  If we can get a result at Burton -and we really should - then confidence shouldn't be a problem and I'd hope for a good run.

Offline alexbishop

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
A scrappy game but pleased with a win. Really poor low energy first half. Thought we made quite a few poor decisions in the game. However, we did create good chances in the second half. Sess getting bullied quite a bit at left back and needs to improve strength. Norwood looks poor and I don't think he is helping keep control of the game. Likewise SJ was poor with some of his passing. Forward three didn't really properly click.

Much to improve on but pleased to win.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Offline grandad

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
I don´t mind an ugly win now & again when we are not playing well. Look how many times Brighton did this last season. We slaughtered them twice last season & lost both matches.
With Cairney back 100% fit we will see a change. He is our most influential player who will have us playing at our best. We have only had him for 1 full game when he was only 50% fit.
Would really want to know how serious his knee problem is.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Offline abfg

• Lakey/Dark Room
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »
Actually I'm quite surprised by the tone of this thread. When you actually look at it Hull scored from their only real chance inside the box. Other than that we restricted them to potshots from 20 yards.

First half we dominated completely and while we (as usual) weren't good enough at turning good situations into chances and then into goals, it's because we lacked a true centre forward (other than AK who seems to be more of an impact sub). First goal came because of Kebano playing like a centre forward, picking up a direct ball and showing strength to get it out to Ojo who did the decent thing by beating his man and crossing it to where we had, for pretty much the only time in the first half, Kebano at the nearpost (credit to him), Ayite to tap it in and also 2 players coming in from the edge. This is important - Kebano did what our players don't normally do and played like a number 9, strength and then bust a gut to get to the nearpost. Once in the game. And we scored from it. Lack of that centre forward play on a regular basis is the main problem here.

Second half - as predicted Hull really tried for 15 minutes and we struggled to keep them at bay. But we turned it round and reestablished our hold on the game. Last 10 minutes aside, we looked fairly comfortable. That is without the needless mistakes on the ball - we do overplay sometimes and got away with giving it to them a couple of times too often for comfort. And Norwood is a complete liablility. No positional sense and will always try to over complicate and show off in possession. The sooner TC is back the better.

Such a shame the header didn't go in to make it 2-0, I think it would have been the best goal I've ever seen (no exaggeration). It was a real Barcelona at their prime type passage of play, I think every player touched the ball, it switched across the pitch and it was truly beautiful, the highlights on Sky only show a fraction of it. But he missed so it will be forgotten. Such a shame. I have always preferred that team goal to a Kasami style goal - personal preference.

Generally good, flashes of brilliance, flashes of incompetence, improvement needed, more classic centre forward play required. Just like last season really.

Offline Tabby

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
The problem wasn't that we didn't deserve to win, it was that we didn't play to our standard. There was a lack of cohesion among the players and the combination play rarely came off, whenever it did it resulted in a good chance.

Just lucky that Hull were worse. If we played to our normal level, that'd have been a three or four goal spanking.

But, at the end of the day, a win is a win.

Offline FulhamStu

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »
Hull were not great, but they closed us down very hard and quickly and were desperate to make up for the last result they had.  We have lost games like this in the past so to win shows progress, to win without our best 2 players whilst bedding in 3 or 4 new players is very good.

Offline Forever Fulham

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
Actually I'm quite surprised by the tone of this thread. When you actually look at it Hull scored from their only real chance inside the box. Other than that we restricted them to potshots from 20 yards.

First half we dominated completely and while we (as usual) weren't good enough at turning good situations into chances and then into goals, it's because we lacked a true centre forward (other than AK who seems to be more of an impact sub). First goal came because of Kebano playing like a centre forward, picking up a direct ball and showing strength to get it out to Ojo who did the decent thing by beating his man and crossing it to where we had, for pretty much the only time in the first half, Kebano at the nearpost (credit to him), Ayite to tap it in and also 2 players coming in from the edge. This is important - Kebano did what our players don't normally do and played like a number 9, strength and then bust a gut to get to the nearpost. Once in the game. And we scored from it. Lack of that centre forward play on a regular basis is the main problem here.

Second half - as predicted Hull really tried for 15 minutes and we struggled to keep them at bay. But we turned it round and reestablished our hold on the game. Last 10 minutes aside, we looked fairly comfortable. That is without the needless mistakes on the ball - we do overplay sometimes and got away with giving it to them a couple of times too often for comfort. And Norwood is a complete liablility. No positional sense and will always try to over complicate and show off in possession. The sooner TC is back the better.

Such a shame the header didn't go in to make it 2-0, I think it would have been the best goal I've ever seen (no exaggeration). It was a real Barcelona at their prime type passage of play, I think every player touched the ball, it switched across the pitch and it was truly beautiful, the highlights on Sky only show a fraction of it. But he missed so it will be forgotten. Such a shame. I have always preferred that team goal to a Kasami style goal - personal preference.

Generally good, flashes of brilliance, flashes of incompetence, improvement needed, more classic centre forward play required. Just like last season really.

I wouldn't say Norwood is a complete liability, but I've been disappointed in his play.