watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Kind of - Fulham compared to Atlanta United

Started by love4ffc, September 21, 2017, 03:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Ok, I'm going to get some stick and stones for this but I'm posting anyway. 

Last night I went to an MLS game here in Atlanta, GA.  I want it to be known that I have not been to an MLS game in about 8 years.  Just haven't been impressed with matches and play in the past.  Anyway I have been given free tickets several times this season to Atlanta fixtures but have not attended.  I've either been sick or given the tickets to my son and his mates. 

Last night though I went for the first time to see Atlanta United play LA Galaxy.  I saw nothing special from LA Galaxy, including their prize player  067.gif Ashley Cole.  Atlanta United on the other hand was brilliant and in my mind played a very attractive football much like Fulham. 

How's that?  Well first I need to state I have not seen any matches for Fulham this year.  I got to see three matches last season but this season I have only seen replays and FulhamTV live. 

The way Atlanta played was clinical in its passing and possession was much like Fulham with Atlanta having 65% of the possession.  What was not like Fulham was the amount of play that went through the middle and the amount of 1v1 in the final 18.  For me that is what is missing from Fulham's play.  Also unlike Fulham were the amount of shots 13, with 5 being on target, 4 off target, 5 being blocked and 4 ending up in the back of the net.  Now compare that to Fulham who seem to pass, pass and pass again looking for that easy goal or trying to get everything to go to the outside only to get two shots on target in their last match.  I should say though that I say Fredericks make to great attacks in the final 18 in the last match trying to beat his defender to get a shot off.  Just wish I would see more of that along with taking more chances testing the goal keeper. 

Anyway my point is this, Fulham and Atlanta seem to have the same basic philosophy when it comes to style of play.  The difference, and this what I really wish that Fulham would do, was not only did Atlanta work the wings and the outside but they attacked the center.  Atlanta took their chances, were relentless and were not afraid to go 1v1 in the final 18.  That is what I want to see Fulham do more often. 

As others have said touchy touchy football is all fine and dandy but at the end of the day it's the score line that matters. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Rhys Lightning 63

Atlanta United will always be better than us because they have a Chick-Fil-A in their stadium. Simple as that
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

love4ffc

They can keep the chick-fil-a.  I wish Fulham had their striker Josef Martínez who has 17 goals so far this season and Miguel Almirón who has scored 9 goals this season.  Both are very creative, fast seem to link up extremely well. 

cottage expat

They have been breaking MLS attendance records and last week had the fourth highest attendance (70,000 plus) of any stadium in the world! Must be doing something right.

love4ffc

My son has been several times this season.  Every time the stadium is sold out.  My son also says the manager, Gerardo Martino, is well loved and admired.  He us an ex Argentina footballer.   

The Rock

It's hard to compare Apples to Oranges from us vs. Atlanta. I like the observation. It's prudent. But it's sort of far from reality. Thank you for making me think on.

The Rock

love4ffc

I think your correct sir that it would be hard to compare the two leagues.  I certainly couldn't as I have never really followed the MLS league.  As for the comparison between the teams I think it's fair to say from my observation that both teams seem to have the same style of play and philosophy.  As I said the big difference I saw was the in the final 18.  Atlanta do not seem to pass as much but have more of a direct attack.  That is what I really want to see from Fulham. 

As many have said on this board, Fulham need to be less predictable.  They don't always have to go to the outside and play wide.  They could mix it up and start playing more creatively.  At least that is my hopes.