watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Johansen's kicking style

Started by terryr, September 14, 2017, 11:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

I may have this all wrong, but the only way I've ever seen Johansen shoot or kick the ball is with the outside of his foot.
It seems to work for him, but I'm wondering how accurate/ powerful it can be.
Some players do it from time to time but to me it seems its the only way he feels comfortable.
Anyone else noticed this  or is it a matter of me noticing it once or twice and then seemingly believing this is all he does?

Marcel_Gecov

He does it alot but he does also use the inside of his foot for short passes and also a few of his goals last season where with the instep (I think his goal against Norwich was)

filham

I hadn't noticed it but will now watch out for it at the next home game.
I wonder if it is in Stat Boy's data bank.

_Putney_

it's as accurate and as powerful as it has been. if it works, who cares

grandad

I think he shoots with the outside of his foot at times to fool the GK´s who probably are looking at Johansens foot to anticipate where the ball will be kicked. A very clever piece of skill I feel.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on September 14, 2017, 01:25:40 PM
IMO Johansen gets let off for a lot because on balance he's still very good. He has the best engine of any player I can remember. He gets stuck into challenges, but is also composed in front of goal and has the skill to do things like that turn that took him past 3 Hull players last night. Overall a fantastic player. But every game he will try about 10 of those outside-of-the-foot wonder passes that don't come off. Relative to Cairney, perhaps even McDonald as well, his pass completion % probably isn't very high.

Cue someone digging out the stat...

I'm on your ignore list so you wont read this anyway but you're sort of right. Last season Johansen had a pass completion of 85% and is looking at 84% currently which isn't bad. McDonald has 85% this year and 86% last year so the two of them are much of a muchness. Cairney is far ahead at 91%.

Johansen's pass completion is the worst out of the 3 but higher than most of our competition. The great Diego Jota at Wolves for example is 80%.

White Rabbit

Quote from: grandad on September 14, 2017, 01:49:44 PM
I think he shoots with the outside of his foot at times to fool the GK´s who probably are looking at Johansens foot to anticipate where the ball will be kicked. A very clever piece of skill I feel.

It will also help spin the ball and therefore bend the pass/shot

FulhamDoc

He scored a beauty with the outside of his foot against Reading last year.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on September 14, 2017, 01:25:40 PM
IMO Johansen gets let off for a lot because on balance he's still very good. He has the best engine of any player I can remember. He gets stuck into challenges, but is also composed in front of goal and has the skill to do things like that turn that took him past 3 Hull players last night. Overall a fantastic player. But every game he will try about 10 of those outside-of-the-foot wonder passes that don't come off. Relative to Cairney, perhaps even McDonald as well, his pass completion % probably isn't very high.

Cue someone digging out the stat...

Spot on. He's the most wasteful of the 3 but I'd say he's also the least "safe" of the 3. TC & Kmac are quite happy to go sidewards if nothing's on to keep the possession ticking over, StefJo takes more risks and they very rarely come off.

Still a wonderful player though and the beauty of the trio is that they all offer something that the other 2 can't. It's a perfect balance.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

grandad

He runs his socks off & his passing success is excellent. Cairney is out way in front . McDonalds passes tend to be shorter so it is expected that his should be high. Johansen has the job of picking the ball up from short passes fronm back 4 , advancing ? then making the pass forward or to the wings.He is the best in this possession since Murphy.A key player.
Where there's a will there's a wife