watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My take on the Burton game

Started by AlexW132, September 17, 2017, 11:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexW132

Now I've been able to sleep on it, here are my thoughts on yesterday's dismal performance.

• Firstly, lineup. We played very averagely against Hull, and were very lucky to have come away with the win. Jokanovic himself said he was not happy with the performance, so why didn't he do anything about it? Why wasn't Mollo starting when he has impressed much more than Ojo has, and would have been more suited to Burton's aggressive game? Why is Sessegnon still being played LB when his defensive inability has been documented already this season, and we know he's much much better at LW? Odoi is more than capable at LB. I fully expect Rafa to come straight in at LB when he eventually gets fit.
  • Bench: Where is Madl? If he's injured, say he is. Why is Fonte on the bench? If he's fit enough, start him up front, if not, don't put him on the bench and don't bring him on. Kamara, where is he? People moan about having not enough strikers, but it doesn't help when our coach is refusing to play them, especially since he has shown signs of improving, great way to knock his confidence. If Jokanovic doesn't think he's good enough, he shouldn't have played him in the previous games.
  • Subs: needed to be made closer to half time and needed to be different. As said before, don't bring on Fonte if he's not fit. If you're trying to get him up to speed, do it in a game which we're comfortably winning, not losing. Mollo should have come on instead of Graham. No point having both of them on the bench when we're playing 3 wingers up top to start with.
  • Ojo missed a sitter. You can't miss those given our predicament.
  • Catastrophic defending for the first goal, long ball over the top, fail to get rid of the ground cross, Ream and Kalas both at fault, then Norwood puts it on a plate for Warnock. Dreadful.
  • Norwood misses another sitter. Absolutely skies it following good build up.
  • Good goal by him, though. Thought at this point we'd get our act together.
  • Allen hits the post. Kebano and Sess made to look weak on the flank, Norwood in the wrong position to cut it out, none of the players rushing to get back and defend. Poor. we were very lucky there.
  • Penalty call a joke. Championship referees were a joke.
  • Button should have saved the penalty.
  • Our defense is woeful. 2 clean sheets in the league since March is a joke and now that we can't score either it's a recipe for disaster. I do praise the recruitment team, but their big failing in the window was not to get another striker, rather a top quality CB.
  • This needed to be 3 points. We now face Boro, Forest and QPR, none of which I can see us winning given our current form.
  • Jokanovic needs to wake up and realise he's not untouchable. He needs to sort these problems before it's too late, we are already well off the pace.
  • No matter how much you say 'oh it's Kline and Co's fault that we lost because Slav didn't have options' that squad was absolutely 100% good enough to beat Burton and beat them by a margin.
  • We miss Cairney big time though we knew that already.

Baszab

Agreed on EVERY point

I hope don't have some sort of "play if fit" agreement on Ojo - rather have Mollo busting a gut to impress

filham

A good analysis of our situation and surely  we will all be in general agreement.
Now the hard part AlexW132, come up with the solutions that are going to put us in with a chance of a win against Boro.

AlexW132

Quote from: filham on September 17, 2017, 12:09:01 PM
A good analysis of our situation and surely  we will all be in general agreement.
Now the hard part AlexW132, come up with the solutions that are going to put us in with a chance of a win against Boro.
Play Sess LW, Odoi LB, Kebano or Mollo RW and Kamara ST if Fonte still isn't fit. Don't roll over in the face of a sh*thouse referee, be more aggressive. Make subs earlier if things aren't working, don't be afraid to change things up. As fans, not get outsung by the Middlesbrough lot, try not to be the prawn sandwich brigade as usual and make some noise.

hovewhite

Striker wise yesterday,i thought AK would have made more of putting pressure on there CBs than floyd who was lightwieght yesterday.

RaySmith

Ojo at least put his shot on target, and was in the position to get a shot in, and  was very important in both goals against Hull.

Barrett487

In recent years we seem to play better against better opposition. Maybe our run of fixtures will work in our favour.

How long's TC out for? It will make a major difference.

RaySmith

Just watching that free kick leading up to the corner that led to the pen, and I am shocked at the appalling refereeing - these were both terrible decisions.

I would also question Ojo's card, and denying us a pen -which certainly seemed a better shout than Burton's.

We deserved to get at least a point from this game.

St Eve

Another thing we could do is practice taking corners and free kicks. We are clueless.

I actually that Ojo was good. Certainly better than Johansen

@jolslover

Quote from: St Eve on September 17, 2017, 03:50:11 PM
Another thing we could do is practice taking corners and free kicks. We are clueless.

I actually that Ojo was good. Certainly better than Johansen

Ojo was good last 30 minutes, First 60 he was poor.
I thought Johansen had a good game.
Probably worst performance of the day goes to Graham. Delivery was shocking.
STH H3

hovewhite

Graham,poooor poooor couldn't keep a ball on the pitch,high wide nowhere near handsome send him back to wolves!

Lighthouse

Bit harsh to say Button should have saved the pen. He guessed and was close to saving it. Had a good game and is one of the few bright spots in a very iffy season by all involved so far. But the rest of the points are well made.

The big problem is that we have made the same errors, tactical mistakes and recruitment for some time now. We made such a good run after Christmas last year that if we had started better would have been playing in the Prem by now. But we have taken a step back and it is a great shame.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 17, 2017, 12:17:56 PM
Play Sess LW, Odoi LB, Kebano or Mollo RW and Kamara ST if Fonte still isn't fit. Don't roll over in the face of a sh*thouse referee, be more aggressive. Make subs earlier if things aren't working, don't be afraid to change things up. As fans, not get outsung by the Middlesbrough lot, try not to be the prawn sandwich brigade as usual and make some noise.
Good advice but who do you see as sticking the ball in the net. This season we have hit only 7 goals in 8 matches and enjoyed the luxury of an own goal. No single player looks to have the confidence to score.
Last's season's leading scorer Cairney 12, will not be playing. Aluko 8 and Martin10 are no longer with us while Johansen 11 would seem to be missing the skills of Cairney playing alongside him.

AlexW132

Quote from: filham on September 17, 2017, 06:39:56 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on September 17, 2017, 12:17:56 PM
Good advice but who do you see as sticking the ball in the net. This season we have hit only 7 goals in 8 matches and enjoyed the luxury of an own goal. No single player looks to have the confidence to score.
Last's season's leading scorer Cairney 12, will not be playing. Aluko 8 and Martin10 are no longer with us while Johansen 11 would seem to be missing the skills of Cairney playing alongside him.
Fonte, Kamara, Kebano, Mollo, Johansen, they're all capable of scoring.

Gloss White

Thought Ojo was good. Beat his man often, always showing and wanting the ball, never shirked responsibility or hid

terryr

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 17, 2017, 11:51:04 AM
Now I've been able to sleep on it, here are my thoughts on yesterday's dismal performance.

• Firstly, lineup. We played very averagely against Hull, and were very lucky to have come away with the win. Jokanovic himself said he was not happy with the performance, so why didn't he do anything about it? Why wasn't Mollo starting when he has impressed much more than Ojo has, and would have been more suited to Burton's aggressive game? Why is Sessegnon still being played LB when his defensive inability has been documented already this season, and we know he's much much better at LW? Odoi is more than capable at LB. I fully expect Rafa to come straight in at LB when he eventually gets fit.
  • Bench: Where is Madl? If he's injured, say he is. Why is Fonte on the bench? If he's fit enough, start him up front, if not, don't put him on the bench and don't bring him on. Kamara, where is he? People moan about having not enough strikers, but it doesn't help when our coach is refusing to play them, especially since he has shown signs of improving, great way to knock his confidence. If Jokanovic doesn't think he's good enough, he shouldn't have played him in the previous games.
  • Subs: needed to be made closer to half time and needed to be different. As said before, don't bring on Fonte if he's not fit. If you're trying to get him up to speed, do it in a game which we're comfortably winning, not losing. Mollo should have come on instead of Graham. No point having both of them on the bench when we're playing 3 wingers up top to start with.
  • Ojo missed a sitter. You can't miss those given our predicament.
  • Catastrophic defending for the first goal, long ball over the top, fail to get rid of the ground cross, Ream and Kalas both at fault, then Norwood puts it on a plate for Warnock. Dreadful.
  • Norwood misses another sitter. Absolutely skies it following good build up.
  • Good goal by him, though. Thought at this point we'd get our act together.
  • Allen hits the post. Kebano and Sess made to look weak on the flank, Norwood in the wrong position to cut it out, none of the players rushing to get back and defend. Poor. we were very lucky there.
  • Penalty call a joke. Championship referees were a joke.
  • Button should have saved the penalty.
  • Our defense is woeful. 2 clean sheets in the league since March is a joke and now that we can't score either it's a recipe for disaster. I do praise the recruitment team, but their big failing in the window was not to get another striker, rather a top quality CB.
  • This needed to be 3 points. We now face Boro, Forest and QPR, none of which I can see us winning given our current form.
  • Jokanovic needs to wake up and realise he's not untouchable. He needs to sort these problems before it's too late, we are already well off the pace.
  • No matter how much you say 'oh it's Kline and Co's fault that we lost because Slav didn't have options' that squad was absolutely 100% good enough to beat Burton and beat them by a margin.
  • We miss Cairney big time though we knew that already.

Bang on the money
Great analysis

toshes mate

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 17, 2017, 11:51:04 AM
The sleep didn't do you any good at all since my simple analysis (regardless of team being played) is we are not scoring goals when on the attack.  Goals = pressure on the opponent and more space behind them.  We are still suffering from a disastrous pre-season and some frankly uninspiring transfers in, and, potentially more damaging, out.