watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Sess undroppable ?

Started by Riversider, September 18, 2017, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Before the team was unannounced on Saturday , I was praying that Odoi was going to be playing at left back, sadly he wasn't and Sessegnon played instead,
I have no problem with Sess playing up top at wide left and competing with all the others for that position, but I do have a problem with him at left back, Odoi is clearly a better defender than Sess and offers us more solidity at the back,
Even with Odoi at left back Boro are going to cause us problems on Saturday with the height and strength of their front line, they have got some big units up top and I will be amazed if they don't score from a header at the weekend ,
So my point is this, when Sessegnon put pen to paper on his contract do you think a verbal agreement was put in place that if he is fit he plays ?
Just can't see Fulham risking upsetting him by "resting" him even when he needs a "rest"
Anybody else prefer to see Odoi at left back ?

Chutney

Sess is much better as a winger for sure, but as we failed to replace Malone he will be needed at left back often.
C O Y W

filham

Yes, fully agree. Remember last season Malone was usually selected at left back in place off Sess.

We are all aware that we have a talented young player is Sess but the hard facts are that his delicate skills alone do not provide the defensive security needed at full back in the Championship. He is best employed competing with others for a wide left position.

Riversider

Quote from: Chutney on September 18, 2017, 02:52:05 PM
Sess is much better as a winger for sure, but as we failed to replace Malone he will be needed at left back often.

No, we signed Rafa Soares who will play there soon.

DevonFFC

I hope he will be deployed up top more often then not when the Porto chap is fit. It then offers us versatility as odoi is very good across the back. Sess can play down the left. Gives us options

Woolly Mammoth

Nobody is exempt from being dropped, but we all know by now that Sess is a better player when playing further up the pitch and Odoi is good enough to start at left back with Sess in front of him. 
You reap what you sow, and our failure to bring in a tall powerful quality centre back who is taller than 5 foot and a fag paper will bite us on the back side, if Middsboroughs big units have their way against our powder puff lightweight defence, but I have been saying this for months that we need a big unit ourselves.
If Burton can score against us, then anyone can.
On the other hand Fulham could turn it on its head and win, who knows with Fulham, and that's the main problem, no consistency.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Odoi should have played at Burton...Boy Wonder has been average so far and has also missed a few easy chances to score.

toshes mate

In a word 'No' and he wouldn't expect it from SJ either.  Perhaps he is missing the 'Parker' influence along with some others.....

Chutney

Quote from: Riversider on September 18, 2017, 03:00:23 PM

Have you seen rafa soares play? How do you know he's any good?

Like I said, would prefer Sess as a winger so lets hope soares is up to it
C O Y W

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Chutney on September 18, 2017, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: Riversider on September 18, 2017, 03:00:23 PM

Have you seen rafa soares play? How do you know he's any good?

Like I said, would prefer Sess as a winger so lets hope soares is up to it

Soares (once settled) is viewed as a future LB of Portugal which says alot. He was linked With Liverpool to replace Moreno and has 9 U21 caps for his country.

He has a far better pedigree than Malone and there is a reason why the club have agreed to wait for him. I'm incredibly excited about seeing him play as we all should be.

Lighthouse

Would always play Odoi behind Sess. I think Sess is a wonderful player but clearly is much better in a more advanced role and we all know he is not a great defender. Nobody is undroppable but I would say the Sess isn't a good enough defender.

As for Soares. He is injured, he may be brilliant but that is neither here nor there. Until he is fit he is useless to us. A useless acquisition. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

Sess still has a lot to learn on his FB role. Too many times he gets caught out of position as he tends to be concentrating on his attacking instincts. If he is selected as a FB that should be his priority & only asked to raid the wings at the opportune time.
He will certainly become a top, top player but he has to learn more basic strategy & possitional nous.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 03:01:26 PM
Nobody is exempt from being dropped, but we all know by now that Sess is a better player when playing further up the pitch and Odoi is good enough to start at left back with Sess in front of him. 
You reap what you sow, and our failure to bring in a tall powerful quality centre back who is taller than 5 foot and a fag paper will bite us on the back side, if Middsboroughs big units have their way against our powder puff lightweight defence, but I have been saying this for months that we need a big unit ourselves.
On the other hand Fulham could turn it on its head and win, who knows with Fulham, and that's the main problem, no consistency.

Disagree that we needed a tall centre back. You don't get them cheap if they're good with the ball at their feet, something essential to our style.

copthornemike

In response to the original OP is RS undroppable - of course the answer is yes, the same as any player.

However maybe a better way to present the discussion might be to ask if such a young player benefit from playing less frequently, particularly against the more physical teams?

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: copthornemike on September 18, 2017, 04:21:13 PM
In response to the original OP is RS undroppable - of course the answer is yes, the same as any player.

However maybe a better way to present the discussion might be to ask if such a young player benefit from playing less frequently, particularly against the more physical teams?

"In response to the original OP is RS undroppable - of course the answer is yes, the same as any player". - you mean, no he is droppable?

"He is injured, he may be brilliant but that is neither here nor there. Until he is fit he is useless to us. A useless acquisition".  - short-termism at it's finest - he isn't a useless acquisition if he plays 30 games and helps us get  promoted. Do we not care about the overall season?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on September 18, 2017, 04:06:19 PM

Disagree that we needed a tall centre back. You don't get them cheap if they're good with the ball at their feet, something essential to our style.

and I completely disagree with you.
You will most definitely find out the hard way as Fulham will, if Burton succeed in bullying our players then anyone can, wait till we play the really physical tough hard nut teams who are equipped in dealing with milky teams like Fulham. They have managers that take no prisoners. These managers and teams who won't let us get away with the football we played last year, once bitten twice shy. These clubs have learnt their lesson, unlike Fulham who are as naive as ever.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 04:36:59 PM

You will most definitely find out the hard way as Fulham will, if Burton succeed in bullying our players then anyone can, wait till we play the really physical tough hard nut teams who are equipped in dealing with milky teams like Fulham. They have managers that take no prisoners. These managers and teams who won't let us get away with the football we played last year, once bitten twice shy. These clubs have learnt their lesson, unlike Fulham who are as naive as ever.

This is just one of the dilemmas for Slav to solve and I don't think signing a big fella who always resorts to thumping it into row z every time he gets closed down is the answer.
For me the answer is to improve the ball retention as we're not yet at the level of last season.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 04:36:59 PM

I disagree with you. You don't play to your opponents tactics, you play to your own.

AlexW132

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 18, 2017, 03:49:25 PM
Would always play Odoi behind Sess. I think Sess is a wonderful player but clearly is much better in a more advanced role and we all know he is not a great defender. Nobody is undroppable but I would say the Sess isn't a good enough defender.

As for Soares. He is injured, he may be brilliant but that is neither here nor there. Until he is fit he is useless to us. A useless acquisition.
'Soares may be brilliant but he's currently injured so he's a pointless signing' players don't stay injured forever you know. Might as well call Cairney useless.

toshes mate

Burton Albion didn't find the way to defeat SJ's system, they found a way to beat the team put up against them, period. 

The system is about possession and scoring more goals than your opponent.  It backfires when a) you don't score enough goals or b) when your opponent scores more goals than you.  Remember the 4-4 at Wolves was the last game we conceded more than two goals.  We lack the natural rhythm of last season because the side has changed part self inflicted and part injuries.  We don't have a tried and tested Championship forward and some players are largely unknown quantities as yet.

We persevere because that is what the Championship is about.