Is Sess undroppable ?

Started by Riversider, September 18, 2017, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 18, 2017, 04:56:08 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 04:36:59 PM
Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on September 18, 2017, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 03:01:26 PM
Nobody is exempt from being dropped, but we all know by now that Sess is a better player when playing further up the pitch and Odoi is good enough to start at left back with Sess in front of him. 
You reap what you sow, and our failure to bring in a tall powerful quality centre back who is taller than 5 foot and a fag paper will bite us on the back side, if Middsboroughs big units have their way against our powder puff lightweight defence, but I have been saying this for months that we need a big unit ourselves.
If Burton can score against us, then anyone can.
On the other hand Fulham could turn it on its head and win, who knows with Fulham, and that's the main problem, no consistency.

Disagree that we needed a tall centre back. You don't get them cheap if they're good with the ball at their feet, something essential to our style.

and I completely disagree with you.
You will most definitely find out the hard way as Fulham will, if Burton succeed in bullying our players then anyone can, wait till we play the really physical tough hard nut teams who are equipped in dealing with milky teams like Fulham. They have managers that take no prisoners. These managers and teams who won't let us get away with the football we played last year, once bitten twice shy. These clubs have learnt their lesson, unlike Fulham who are as naive as ever.

I disagree with you. You don't play to your opponents tactics, you play to your own.

You can disagree with me until the cows come home. Who says anything about playing to the opponents tactics, where did you get that from. But I know I am right, as the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Clubs will not allow us to play, they will be in our faces, close us down, and disrupt play as soon as we enter the field of play, also time waste, and the referees turn a blind eye, because it's not a perfect world.
The problem we have is that we have few leaders or
Players that can mix it, the ones that we do have, do not get long enough during a game. Unless Jok and the team vary our tactics and become more flexible, with a plan B and C.
Then we will continue to allow teams to pick us off as we are so predictable it's criminal, and in a scrap we will come off second best every time, as our results so far have shown.
If little old Burton population one man and his dog, with their limited resources can do a job on us, then so can anyone, and that's our Achilles heal, and it won't change until we get our heads out of the sand. Men against boys, and until our weaknesses are addressed we will continue to under perform.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

@jolslover

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 18, 2017, 03:36:33 PM
Quote from: Chutney on September 18, 2017, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: Riversider on September 18, 2017, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: Chutney on September 18, 2017, 02:52:05 PM
Sess is much better as a winger for sure, but as we failed to replace Malone he will be needed at left back often.

No, we signed Rafa Soares who will play there soon.

Have you seen rafa soares play? How do you know he's any good?

Like I said, would prefer Sess as a winger so lets hope soares is up to it

Soares (once settled) is viewed as a future LB of Portugal which says alot. He was linked With Liverpool to replace Moreno and has 9 U21 caps for his country.

He has a far better pedigree than Malone and there is a reason why the club have agreed to wait for him. I'm incredibly excited about seeing him play as we all should be.

+1 +1
STH H3

@jolslover

Nobody is exempt from being dropped, but we all know by now that Sess is a better player when playing further up the pitch and Odoi is good enough to start at left back with Sess in front of him. 
You reap what you sow, and our failure to bring in a tall powerful quality centre back who is taller than 5 foot and a fag paper will bite us on the back side, if Middsboroughs big units have their way against our powder puff lightweight defence, but I have been saying this for months that we need a big unit ourselves.
On the other hand Fulham could turn it on its head and win, who knows with Fulham, and that's the main problem, no consistency.

Disagree that we needed a tall centre back. You don't get them cheap if they're good with the ball at their feet, something essential to our style.

Agree agree
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: @jolslover on September 18, 2017, 06:37:17 PM

Agree agree

Sheep, just like some of the players.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

The introduction of Soares along with the return of Cairney and Fonte may help to turn things around but we have seen little of these three so far, what is their physical state, we have been told next to nothing and are beginning to think we will be lucky to see all three performing together before Christmas.

Lighthouse

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 18, 2017, 04:59:43 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 18, 2017, 03:49:25 PM
Would always play Odoi behind Sess. I think Sess is a wonderful player but clearly is much better in a more advanced role and we all know he is not a great defender. Nobody is undroppable but I would say the Sess isn't a good enough defender.

As for Soares. He is injured, he may be brilliant but that is neither here nor there. Until he is fit he is useless to us. A useless acquisition.
'Soares may be brilliant but he's currently injured so he's a pointless signing' players don't stay injured forever you know. Might as well call Cairney useless.

We didn't bring an injured Cairney into the club. We did bring an injured Greek player into the club that cost millions and he was injured for his entire stay here. Bringing in an injured player on loan is a ludicrous piece of business IMO.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 06:58:38 PM

Agree agree

The way to play against big units is to cut off the supply to them. That means full backs cutting out crosses, it means a mid field player closing down the man with the ball, it means goalkeepers coming to collect the crossed ball. It does not necessarily mean a big lump of a centre half. That is the way SJ plays it and they managed to keep Zahore completely under wraps. Ba Ba  :003:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SG on September 18, 2017, 07:22:44 PM

Agree agree

The way to play against big units is to cut off the supply to them. That means full backs cutting out crosses, it means a mid field player closing down the man with the ball, it means goalkeepers coming to collect the crossed ball. It does not necessarily mean a big lump of a centre half. That is the way SJ plays it and they managed to keep Zahore completely under wraps. Ba Ba  :003:

Let's see how they handle Middlesbrough then. Cause if they fail, then there will be plenty of sheep shearing to do, and your wool will be the first to go.

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: SG on September 18, 2017, 07:22:44 PM

Agree agree

Let's see how they handle Middlesbrough then. Cause if they fail, then there will be plenty of sheep shearing to do, and your wool will be the first to go.

It is down to our Head Coach to coach and organise them. I am on record as saying that he and his team have failed to do that for the past season and a half and that is our downfall not not having a big lump at CH - in my view. Burton's goals did not come through not having this big lump and nor do most that we concede.

Woolly Mammoth

So on that basis, not only do we concede goals against teams with big lumps, we also concede goals against teams with little lumps.

Never forget your Roots.

AlexW132

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 18, 2017, 07:12:00 PM
Would always play Odoi behind Sess. I think Sess is a wonderful player but clearly is much better in a more advanced role and we all know he is not a great defender. Nobody is undroppable but I would say the Sess isn't a good enough defender.

As for Soares. He is injured, he may be brilliant but that is neither here nor there. Until he is fit he is useless to us. A useless acquisition.
'Soares may be brilliant but he's currently injured so he's a pointless signing' players don't stay injured forever you know. Might as well call Cairney useless.

We didn't bring an injured Cairney into the club. We did bring an injured Greek player into the club that cost millions and he was injured for his entire stay here. Bringing in an injured player on loan is a ludicrous piece of business IMO.
Why? a loan means there's barely any risk whatsoever.

Lighthouse

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 18, 2017, 08:16:46 PM

This is nonsense. Why not bring in a player that isn't injured. Or bring a loan player up front. What is the point of bringing in a left back who is injured when Odoi is more than capable of filling in that role? The risk is we have wasted a loan signing and for what?

AlexW132

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 18, 2017, 08:33:24 PM

This is nonsense. Why not bring in a player that isn't injured. Or bring a loan player up front. What is the point of bringing in a left back who is injured when Odoi is more than capable of filling in that role? The risk is we have wasted a loan signing and for what?
Because Soares is a cut above anyone else we would have signed. When he's fit, he'll most likely be the best LB in the league.

f bloke

Going back to the original point I am in the minority in thinking Sess is either LB or on the bench.

If you ignore his age for the moment, to date, his stand out quality has been his attacking instincts, his ability to be in the right place at the right time to score his tap ins. The unusual thing about him is that these instincts are as evident when he is playing LB as they are when playing further forward. He may have missed a good chance against Hull but in my time watching this club I can't remember too many full backs who have found themselves in the six yard box in open play to miss a chance like that. The goal that Kebano scored against Ipswich, Sess was in an even more advanced position than Kebano when that cross came in. The number of times that he is also the first player to congratulate the scorer is also illustrative.

Now a consequence of those attacking instincts at FB is it leaves us more exposed defensively. So it becomes a risk reward assessment. A key part of our success last season when Ryan Fred played was the attacking threat posed by both our full backs. I understand that Spurs are set up in the same way and that their full backs are also key. At present the only alternative we have to Sess at LB is Odoi. To me even as a RB, Odoi is a steady Eddie with little attacking threat. I know he has played LB before but he does not look comfortable to me in that position and offers even less of an attacking threat than he does as a RB. He may be defensively more solid than Sess but I can't recall too many goals conceded due to Sess attacking instincts or defensive frailties. Until such time as
his attacking instincts start costing us points I personally would stick with the current risk reward of playing him at LB.

In terms of playing him further forward, I am not sure he is good enough to start ahead of Kebano or Ayite. Beckham showed you do need to beat your marker to be an offensive threat but Sess does not yet have Beck's delivery. Both Ayite and Kebano and initial viewings of Mollo and Ojo are that they are better in one on one situations. It seems Sess right now is better at attacking space than he is defenders. If we are set up with inverted wingers, there is often more space for full backs to attack than there is the winger. His one footedness also makes him less of a threat than other players we have when he cuts in side.

He is a precocious talent and his attacking instincts are exceptional but I think that for the time being the needs of the team and his own personal development he is better off at LB for the time being

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 18, 2017, 09:04:37 PM

Because Soares is a cut above anyone else we would have signed. When he's fit, he'll most likely be the best LB in the league.

+1 but Id leave it there, you wont get through. I've tried it's all black and white for some. Soares is injured so he's rubbish. Fonte is injured so hes a sicknote. We lost to Burton so Joka should get fired. We didnt buy Gayle so our recruitment team is rubbish. I prefer FIFA so our revenue office is rubbish,. I dont believe in gambling so our sponsor sucks.

#yawn

Mince n Tatties

How do you know Soares is going to be best LB in league.... Proof.
Just because he come from Porto...Nonsense talked on here.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 19, 2017, 11:23:47 AM

+1 but Id leave it there, you wont get through. I've tried it's all black and white for some. Soares is injured so he's rubbish. Fonte is injured so hes a sicknote. We lost to Burton so Joka should get fired. We didnt buy Gayle so our recruitment team is rubbish. I prefer FIFA so our revenue office is rubbish,. I dont believe in gambling so our sponsor sucks.

#yawn

064.gif

What a patronising post. I am so sorry that I and those that share my opinion are not worth getting through to. Although you do then go on to make statements that were simply never made. However you must try and do your best to share your wisdom with us. We need you guiding light to show us why we are always wrong. I mean an MB with differing views. Good grief. Some of us don't deserve to have you experts posting among us.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 19, 2017, 12:42:17 PM

Does the answer "my own eyes" count as proof?

AlexW132

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 19, 2017, 12:42:17 PM
I get your point, but given the system we play, the fact he's one of the highest rated young LBs in Europe, has an impressive pedigree is enough for me to say he'd be up there with the best in the league.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 19, 2017, 01:14:35 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 19, 2017, 11:23:47 AM

#yawn

064.gif

What a patronising post. I am so sorry that I and those that share my opinion are not worth getting through to. Although you do then go on to make statements that were simply never made. However you must try and do your best to share your wisdom with us. We need you guiding light to show us why we are always wrong. I mean an MB with differing views. Good grief. Some of us don't deserve to have you experts posting among us.

Pot meet my friend kettle.

Every comment in that post has emerged on this forum in the last few weeks in some form or another. Now don't get emotional, I didn't say you weren't worth getting through to, I said that it wouldn't get through. Clearly a factual statement as shown by your post.