watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Target man required?

Started by JOND999, September 18, 2017, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

If by target man you mean a striker who can score goals, yes of course we need 1. I haven't seen any evidence that any of our so called new strikers are going to be good enough. Whilst we are over subscribed to exciting wingers and attacking full backs, we haven't really got anybody who can make dangerous crosses on a consistent basis, so the target man at the moment would be irrelevant. We have enough problems trying to find somebody who can take corners and penalties (should we ever be awarded one), or maybe Fonte is the answer to those problems but he can't be in the box at the same time as taking a corner. What about giving Humphrys a go, what have we got to lose, apart from another game? 
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: davew on September 19, 2017, 02:50:29 PM
If by target man you mean a striker who can score goals, yes of course we need 1. I haven't seen any evidence that any of our so called new strikers are going to be good enough. Whilst we are over subscribed to exciting wingers and attacking full backs, we haven't really got anybody who can make dangerous crosses on a consistent basis, so the target man at the moment would be irrelevant. We have enough problems trying to find somebody who can take corners and penalties (should we ever be awarded one), or maybe Fonte is the answer to those problems but he can't be in the box at the same time as taking a corner. What about giving Humphrys a go, what have we got to lose, apart from another game?

I dont get this comment about Fonte and corners.  If our striker's skill-set lends itself to delivering to being a better corner taker than scoring with his head then surely it makes sense for him to take it?

Woolly Mammoth

Why doesn't Jok get Fonte to practice in training taking a corner, then immediately sprint into the box and head his own corner in.
I bet nobody has ever thought of that, if Felix Wolfgang Magath had thought of that he probably would still be in a job.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

davew

How many other teams do you know then where the main striker takes the corners? In the good old days I thought 1 of the main attributes of a winger was the ability to cross a ball, maybe more difficult when the ball is moving, but even schoolboys are able to take corners, something most of our squad don't seem able to do nor did they last season!

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 19, 2017, 03:30:54 PM
Why doesn't Jok get Fonte to practice in training taking a corner, then immediately sprint into the box and head his own corner in.
I bet nobody has ever thought of that, if Felix Wolfgang Magath had thought of that he probably would still be in a job.
LOL!!

We Are Premier League

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
I wouldn't be against Ricky Lambert to fill a gap to be honest.......

:plus one:

JOND999

love Lambert's ambition.  would look good in a Fulham kit.  kind of like a bigger, older Ross.

we're controlling the ball and getting it in the box, just need a clinical finisher on the other end, even from a scramble/broken play, which it seems like half the goals are scored from anyway.

@jolslover

Lambert the same guy who couldnt buy a game at Cardiff when they were about 18th in the league... Past it.
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

I would welcome Ricky Lambert he would score more goals for Fulham than any of the current lot.

Never forget your Roots.

AlexW132

Ricky Lambert... honestly guys

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 19, 2017, 08:55:36 PM

All right then I take it back, how about Peter Crouch ?

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 19, 2017, 07:46:04 PM
I would welcome Ricky Lambert he would score more goals for Fulham than any of the current lot.
Maybe than ours added together (so far)?

AlexW132

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 19, 2017, 09:08:19 PM

89th minute, 1 goal down, desperation sub maybe. To be fair, he does score a few given his age, and that he plays at Stokealona

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 19, 2017, 11:24:58 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 19, 2017, 09:08:19 PM

89th minute, 1 goal down, desperation sub maybe. To be fair, he does score a few given his age, and that he plays at Stokealona

If it's just a target man, can't we just hire somebody to run around with a bullseye on their back.

Never forget your Roots.

FFC1987

To fill a gap and be an impact sub, I can't see why Lambert couldn't do a job. Sure he's past it for 90 minutes but as a squad player, he wouldn't be the worst player to sign till January to fill the gap.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Statto on September 18, 2017, 04:24:13 PM
Personally don't agree with those saying we need someone physical. We still don't play many long balls or high crosses.

Most of our chances involve wingers getting to the byline and putting low crosses around the 6 yard box and penalty spot. We need a Diego forlan type with the intelligence to read the game and lose his marker and the composure to slot those low crosses into the net.

Fonte could be that type but we'll struggle to get 30 games out of him I reckon.

Kamara is definitely not that type and with all the wingers we have I'm beginning to wonder why we spent £5m on him. Can't see how he's going to get game time, which is a shame because in a different setup he could do a good job for someone at this level.

I agree with a lot of what Statto says here.  I think Kamara has a role to play but we need someone sharp to convert all the low hard crosses from our quick wide men.  Could this be Fonte, well I hope so.

RaySmith

Fonte and Kamara could be the answer, along with our new  wide players like Ojo and Mollo, but we have to give these players a chance -I think they all have strengths, but it's stil early days.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 20, 2017, 09:46:25 AM
To fill a gap and be an impact sub, I can't see why Lambert couldn't do a job. Sure he's past it for 90 minutes but as a squad player, he wouldn't be the worst player to sign till January to fill the gap.

I agree guys like him can still do a job. He could just make the difference.

Never forget your Roots.

AlexW132

Wages

FFC1987

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 20, 2017, 11:19:34 AM
Wages

A potential stumbling block for sure. Not sure how much he was on at Cardiff, no doubt quite high but his stock would of reduced significantly after that venture.